Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4443430 - 10/12/18 02:04 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Chucky]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Chucky
Yeah,that was a shame really about JA. I really like Mila Kunis but that thing stank to high heaven. CGI overload.

Even Eddie Redmayne was laughably bad in it and we all know he can act as he's demonstrated in other films.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/12/18 02:04 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4443439 - 10/12/18 02:55 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Mila Kunis, ugh...

How about Valerian? Anyone see that? I love Luc Besson(some of his stuff) but I've avoided the film due to mixed reviews and the potential for nonsensical action. The Fifth Element had a fair bit of action, but also had plenty of slower dialogue and comedy heavy scenes--and great characters, which helps it stay fresh and quite enjoyable, even so many years later.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 10/12/18 02:55 PM.
#4443446 - 10/12/18 03:49 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I’ve not seen Valerian but I know a major complaint from both critics and viewers is that there was zero chemistry between the two lead actors.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4443481 - 10/12/18 08:49 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Sooo... Valerian is a film of a 1970s/1980s French science-fiction comic book series (sorry, "graphic novel", yadda yadda). So, the question is what to expect from it. If you expect a sprawling, colorful new universe with a mix of high tempo action and a fair bit of comic relief you'll find that the main story actually isn't bad, and that the villain in the film has a somewhat relatable, not too far-fetched motive. He isn't utterly cynical, or callous, or "eeevul just because", and to me that's a big plus. I'm tired of cartoon villains.

Whether the two Vs have a chemistry between them or not, well, I agree that this is a weak point of the film, but it's not so bad IMO that it should prevent you from giving the film a chance.

In a way it shows that this film is a non-American production. It's running against a few conventions that Hollywood has imprinted on us, and some of those conventions are there for good reason. In other cases, it's a nice deviation from the same same. The two lead characters were probably too young to be cast for this role (which may be partially because they wanted cheap ones to manage the budget); then again, it's the future so maybe they already are in their mid forties and just look like twens with such a long list of exploits that they are considered the top agents of the known universe, with such supreme self-confidence that Valerian can goof around like a fool at times and still, somehow, get the job done. I think this is also part of French comedy traditions (the ones that I don't like so much), partly the comic book heritage.

So, it's roller-coaster popcorn cinema, and as such I have seen much worse. It's visual production values are top notch, at times too much so, but it's not the first nor the only film that has occasionally sacrificed substance for presentation. Rihanna plays a remarkable character (I think she hasn't received as much credit for it as she deserved). I got much more from the film than I expected, so maybe that's why I don't have such a negative opinion of it as others do. Compared to, say, Jupiter Ascending this is pure gold. Compared to the original Blade Runner, it stinks. I'd rather watch Valerian ten times than watching Star Wars Ep. I for one more time; I think it's about as bad or as good as most of the recent DC films; the non-chemistry between the leads in Valerian is less repugnant than the Star Wars Ep II Amidala/Anakin love story.

My two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by Ssnake; 10/12/18 08:52 PM.
#4443520 - 10/13/18 12:56 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Chucky]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
Originally Posted by Chucky
Originally Posted by ARUP
Don't forget 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'!

I hope you mean the original. The re-make with Keanu Reeves was dreadful.

Yessir... the original ... I never was a fan of 'remakes' and I tend to like black and white movies!

#4443540 - 10/13/18 06:45 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
While we're at it, the probably most influential science fiction film ever, and at that from the mid 1950s, Forbidden Planet.
If you haven't seen it yet, it's
a) still very watchable (they released a remastered copy on BluRay a few years ago)
b) an absolute must for cineasts and SF fans
c) eye-opening, how much of it was stolen, over and over again, by so many film directors

#4443582 - 10/13/18 02:27 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Dude, Forbidden Planet is amazing. One of my all time favorites. =) Amazing story. I first saw it when I was a kid and it completely changed how I look at things in life.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 10/13/18 02:27 PM.
#4443587 - 10/13/18 03:38 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Ssnake]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted by Ssnake
While we're at it, the probably most influential science fiction film ever, and at that from the mid 1950s, Forbidden Planet.
If you haven't seen it yet, it's
a) still very watchable (they released a remastered copy on BluRay a few years ago)
b) an absolute must for cineasts and SF fans
c) eye-opening, how much of it was stolen, over and over again, by so many film directors

Agreed.

Which is why that list of the greatest Sci Fi movies of all time to which someone posted a link a little while ago was such a joke, in that it completely omitted Forbidden Planet.

If you have not watched it, go do so!

#4443589 - 10/13/18 03:46 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Ssnake]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
I'd rather watch Valerian ten times than watching Star Wars Ep. I for one more time; I think it's about as bad or as good as most of the recent DC films; the non-chemistry between the leads in Valerian is less repugnant than the Star Wars Ep II Amidala/Anakin love story.

Fair enough.

I tend to have a slightly higher opinion of A Phantom Menace. Certainly it does not compare to Blade Runner or the Empire Strikes back, but the last act of the movie (the "three-ring" final battle) is actually quite well done. For what its worth, I actually found Jar Jar funny, not annoying as so many did (but then again, I never minded the Ewoks or the Porgs that much either).

As for Padme and Anakin, well, I think it is pretty clear why he is attracted to her, after the outfits she wears in the in the "firelight" and rescue scenes.

What she supposedly sees in him is another mystery entirely . . .

#4443634 - 10/13/18 09:26 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I didn't mean to say that the Phantom Menace was a total disaster; I even accept that some parts of Ep I are actually, well, tolerable. I'm just saying, Valerian isn't worse in its worst parts than Ep II, largely on par, and in some aspects actually a much better film if you just look at the merits of the film as a standalone piece of art. To that extent, all the hate that's often expressed could just as well directed at a few other rather popular films that are actually a bit worse.

#4443636 - 10/13/18 09:31 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Nimits]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by Nimits
What she supposedly sees in him is another mystery entirely . . .

Three words:

Jedi Mind Tricks.

#4443766 - 10/15/18 11:17 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Ssnake]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I didn't mean to say that the Phantom Menace was a total disaster; I even accept that some parts of Ep I are actually, well, tolerable. I'm just saying, Valerian isn't worse in its worst parts than Ep II, largely on par, and in some aspects actually a much better film if you just look at the merits of the film as a standalone piece of art. To that extent, all the hate that's often expressed could just as well directed at a few other rather popular films that are actually a bit worse.

Of course the huge difference between those two films is that Phantom Menace made a huge profit at the box office while Valerian flopped.

Naturally, this is a different issue from whether a film is really good or not BUT box office performance is the main factor when it comes to the types of movies that get made.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/15/18 11:17 AM.

#4443769 - 10/15/18 11:44 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I really don't care about box office results when rating the qualities of a film. The correlation between quality and profits is, while not entirely zero, weak. Valerian had no huge franchise behind it as The Phantom Menace had. That alone makes a big difference. Solo, for example, was one of the better Star Wars films but bombed at the box office - because i was dragged down by the abysmal Ep VIII. The original Blade Runner bombed and yet it belongs to the all-time top ten science fiction movies. "Jaws" was a box office hit, but was it as good a good film as its placement in the box office rankings suggests?

What's the metric of box office success, anyway. The gross turnover? With inflation adjustment? For what, just the pure deprecation of money, or also adjusted for the general growth of the entertainment industry? And if so, including computer games? Including the mobile market? There's good arguments to be made for and against any of these suggestions. But no matter how you decide, popularity and monetary rankings are just as ambiguous as personal taste. Enrico Caruso was a solid tenor. But he wouldn't have achieved world fame had it not been for lucky timing, the advantage of being a first mover in the grammophone business. There were better tenors before him and during his prime, but they were too late to establish themselves as a music brand like he did. There were plenty of better tenors after him, but as time progressed there were more and more record labels, artists, music styles. I doubt that opera tenors of the 1980s will still be remembered by the 2060s; even Caruso's fame as being synonymous for "opera singer" is fading (not the least because a much fewer percentage of people is listening top opera music these days, compared to rock and pop music).

#4443770 - 10/15/18 11:48 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I watched 'The Endless' last night https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3986820/

A low budget,Indie film with unknown actors (at least to me). A perfect combination. An RT score of 94% adds up to an interesting little sci-fi/horror flick. Might be worth checking out.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4443785 - 10/15/18 02:47 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Ssnake]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
even Caruso's fame as being synonymous for "opera singer" is fading (not the least because a much fewer percentage of people is listening top opera music these days, compared to rock and pop music).

You made some excellent points in your post and especially this one that I quoted from you. For all intents and purposes, opera is a static dying art form. Who today writes new operas? There are none that I can think of and besides, the Broadway musical replaced opera a long time ago as the preferred method of watching a story set to music.

#4443798 - 10/15/18 04:28 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Who today writes new operas?

Philipp Glass, to name but one example.
I'm willing to bet that there are a lot more if I can come up immediately with a name (and a title, "Akhnaten"), it's probably just my ignorance. Opera was in the popular domain supplanted by cinema (...and maybe also by Broadway if you insist on it; I don't think I voluntarily watched a musical more than once in my life; "Phantom of the Opera" in Hamburg - three or four catchy tunes, repeated ad nauseam, mixed with bombast in presentation to cover a threadbare story; gracias, no mas.)
My theory is, if opera is dying, musical is dying "almost as much" (if there was such a thing as a comparative to dying).

No, opera and musical have the same basic idea as cinema, but cinema production scales vastly better with a growing audience. Opera simply is too expensive for the extreme locality of each event, and doesn't lend well to reproduction (or at least, opera on the silver screen is an inferior experience to film (you can't really cut, you can't understand what the fat lady is singing about unless you know the production beforehand, even if it is supposedly in your own language and not Italian, you're limited to a handful of camera perspectives, you see the whole stage and the orchestra, few if any special effects, etc.)).

There are of course still opera lovers and opera productions are abundant wherever the population has excess disposable income. OR you can create opera with minimalistic effort (a few musicians, a stage, and a barebone production is possible). We will of course never find out if some village upstream of the Niger delta ever staged something that could be characterized as an opera production ... but it's at least somewhat conceivable that there once was an African Fitzcarraldo (less the boat-pulling madness), or that there might be one in the near future.
So, opera is not necessarily a dying art form, but due to its nature it can't really compete with cinema as "the other" art form that combines music and acting in the attempt to create "totalitarian art" that addresses most if not all senses.

#4443800 - 10/15/18 04:38 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Ssnake]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
in the attempt to create "totalitarian art" that addresses most if not all senses.

Ah yes, the Gesamtkunstwerk. I know my Wagner. wink

I don't know what the current situation is in Europe but in the US, ticket sales for opera productions in North America have been declining steadily for at least the past 20 years. In that sense it is very much a "dying" artform. It's failing to draw in any new people so eventually opera in the US will cease to exist as the current adherents die off from old age.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/15/18 04:40 PM.

#4443868 - 10/16/18 01:59 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I watched “Ex Machina” last night and I think it’s an outstanding movie. It’s so awesome to have a sci-fi film that makes you think and contemplate instead of getting yet another brainless action sci-fi movie from Hollywood.

What took you so long? That's arguably my favorite scifi film from the last decade.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4443911 - 10/16/18 10:37 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Vertigo1]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Skogstokig

What took you so long? That's arguably my favorite scifi film from the last decade.

Lots of other movies that were further up my "must watch list" and of course my PC gaming which is my main hobby and thus takes most of my free time. smile

#4444472 - 10/19/18 04:59 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Mila Kunis, ugh...

How about Valerian? Anyone see that? I love Luc Besson(some of his stuff) but I've avoided the film due to mixed reviews and the potential for nonsensical action. The Fifth Element had a fair bit of action, but also had plenty of slower dialogue and comedy heavy scenes--and great characters, which helps it stay fresh and quite enjoyable, even so many years later.

Seems just about everyone loves "The Fifth Element" but I hated the movie when I saw it at the theater and I haven't been able to sit through a viewing when I tried to give it another chance at home.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.