Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4441716 - 10/01/18 05:31 PM Re: Interesting trend I’ve noticed [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks but I skipped it, again.

Red Shell is the spyware that CA hides in their games. Some will care, others will not. I'm mostly on the fence as it seems rather benign. It's more the fact that it's not disclosed that gets me worked up.

I spent most of the weekend trying to pick a new game. Ended up reinstalling Civ V smile

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4441720 - 10/01/18 05:42 PM Re: Interesting trend I’ve noticed [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond

Red Shell is the spyware that CA hides in their games. Some will care, others will not. I'm mostly on the fence as it seems rather benign. It's more the fact that it's not disclosed that gets me worked up.

Interesting. I've never read the full EULA for their games but I guess Red Shell is not mentioned? If not then I totally agree that it should be mentioned. Also, what exactly does it track/log?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4441723 - 10/01/18 05:56 PM Re: Interesting trend I’ve noticed [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well, that depends on who is doing the talking I suppose. The company says it is for tracking the effectiveness of advertising. Maybe it is? And they say there is no Personally Indentifiable Information collected, which may be true too. Being as old and as skeptical as I am though I always take these sorts of declarations with a grain of salt. It does however track things outside of the game you installed that contained it. It's likely no worse than what Google does, and how bad that is depends on the individual I suppose.

But the fact that it's hidden and there is no opt-in is the sort of stuff I object to.

https://www.pcgamer.com/red-shell-a...-over-a-dozen-developers-vow-to-drop-it/

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4441906 - 10/02/18 05:24 PM Re: Interesting trend I’ve noticed [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Panzer, I’ve thought about trying Rome 2 again. What is this I’ve read about modern PC political stuff CA has injected?

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4441908 - 10/02/18 05:26 PM Re: Interesting trend I’ve noticed [Re: Airdrop01]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Airdrop01
What is this I’ve read about modern PC political stuff CA has injected?

Honestly the only thing I can think of is the recent inclusion of female military commanders and faction leaders to the game. The player has the option of whether to use them or not so I really don't see it being a big deal. Obviously for certain factions it would be historically incorrect to use female military commanders and faction leaders but the game already has some historical inaccuracies just like other TW titles.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4441914 - 10/02/18 06:27 PM Re: Interesting trend I’ve noticed [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

It was more the attacking fans for questioning the validity of their inclusion. You know the whole sexist/racist nonsense that gets flung out like turds on the Deutsch's newly whitewashed house for daring to hold contrary views or to ask for sources for an improbable inclusion into a 'historical' game.

#4441933 - 10/02/18 08:36 PM Re: Interesting trend I’ve noticed [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Thanks for the great info guys. I appreciate it. To me, that’s just not a big deal. It’s a game,after all. A darned good one!

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4442456 - 10/06/18 08:33 AM Re: Interesting trend I’ve noticed [Re: Airdrop01]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted by Airdrop01
Panzer, I’ve thought about trying Rome 2 again. What is this I’ve read about modern PC political stuff CA has injected?

Well, female spies and diplomats (and it seems almost every faction has on or the other), are completely ahistorical, and you cannot avoid using them unless you want to skip the game. The new political system seems to allow you to promote women to (at least minor) official position, which, again, for any Greco-Roman society, is completely inaccurate.

And there was that silly "Daughters of Mars" unit pack, of fantasy female units, but you can easily skip buying that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.