Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4441657 - 10/01/18 08:10 AM Suggestions for improving the me 109  
Eisenfaust Offline
Eisenfaust  Offline

Despite the fun I'm already having fun dogfighting in the 109 I believe the plane could still be improved. I guess that most developping power is used right now for gettig the spitfire flyable. However improving the 109 will set a better base for fture phases as it's many variants will be the main axis fighter at any stage in the war.

I'll put my suggestions into three groups ordered by felt urgency:

1st: Engine Management
The current Engine Management feels very merliny:
a) In the 109 you never controled the rpm.
With the VDM you directly controlled the propeller pitch, not the rpm. So the pilot had to constantly adjust pitch to get the rpm he wanted. This was used until the E3.
With the VDM Automatik the rpm were linked to the throttle position. But the pilot could turn the automatic mode of and control the pitch as he was used to do. This was used from the E4 onward.
Since the autoomatic mode was new technology in summer '40 I guess it could have a slightly higher chance of random failure forcing the pilot to control the pitch manually again. But controling the rpm and having to adjust that instead of the pitch feels wrong in the 109.
b) In the 109 you never ha dto adjust mixture setting.
The mixture was set automatically in any variant. Period. Right now this can be solved unchecking the realism option mixture in the workshop - would be better if one had not to.

2nd: Slats
The slats were a very defining feature of the 109s aerodynimacs whenever the wings were about to stall. Here you can read very interesting quotations about the slats (unevenly opening with a bang in tight turns, inexperienced pilots reluctant to turn tight enough for them to open)
They should be part of the flight model and also graphically visible!

3rd: Cockpit
Here I found some minor mistakes - no deal breakers, but it could be better so wy shouldn't it be?
a) The clock to the right of the rpm gauge should show the prop pitch - not repeat the rpm setting.
b) The gun conrol panel there are 4 red lights - there should be (working) numerical counters for the wing canons.
c) I'm not 100% sure but shouldn't the sign on the upper left say flaps during start 20° isntead of 30°?
d) very minor but would be a nice touch: the ball below the throttle that shows the trimming could be working smile

If I'm wrong anywere feel free to correct me smile

#4441659 - 10/01/18 08:54 AM Re: Suggestions for improving the me 109 [Re: Eisenfaust]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

1) You can adjust the pitch manually and affect the RPM if you wish.
In another thread it's discussed the mixture could be manual and auto but sure it can be set to auto in the FM.

2) Slats currently not possible. Hence why they aren't moving.

3) a) the clock IS animated by pitch - needles are "lever_prop_pitch0..." etc.
b) not possible currently
c) more info needed. The signs are from diagrams and real examples but the info could be wrong, or a typo but more info needed.
d) May not be not possible depending on which trim it is.

Glad you are having some fun though Eisenfaust

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4441706 - 10/01/18 04:48 PM Re: Suggestions for improving the me 109 [Re: Eisenfaust]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

The 109 is ok by me. I would like to see a few Templates of 109's dirtied up since they few from Fields ( Mostly) and a way to play with the markings on individual a/c.

#4441982 - 10/03/18 09:46 AM Re: Suggestions for improving the me 109 [Re: Eisenfaust]  
Eisenfaust Offline
Eisenfaust  Offline

1 - thanks for changing the mixture thing!
But concerning the prop pitch: The buttons "prop pitch" change only the rpm (which is correkt for the hurricane but not the 109).
I attached two screenshots - one in a climb at 250 km/h the other in a dive at 700 km/h. I didn't touch the prop pitch button or throttle in between. You see that the rpm where constant and from the text on the richt screen edge you can see that the prop pitch was automatically changed...
A full throttle dive without changing prop pitch in a plane with manual prop pitch would change the rpm considerably. But changing it to auto prop pitch/rpm as it was in the E4 and later models would solve it smile

2 - a pitty with the slats. Would be cool if it changed some day smile

3 - a) See the screenshots - it doesn't.
b) Then it is how it is
c) Concerning L.Dv.T. 2109 BF 109 E says on page 6 flaps should be 20° on start smile So propably typo
d) Elevator trim - the only thing that could be trimmed on the 109

Attached Files PropPitchClimb.jpgPropPitchDive.jpg
#4442006 - 10/03/18 11:26 AM Re: Suggestions for improving the me 109 [Re: Eisenfaust]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

1. Yes Prop pitch was auto and could be overriden to manual in the 109E4. It's auto in the sim, but you can override it. it is what it is. We cannot change it to anything else.

2. it would be cool, but currently not possible.

3. a) It does if you change prop pitch manually it sets it on that dial. It IS prop pitch, but on auto I guess it doesn't animate it. The Needle NAME is actually "lever_prop_pitch0" in the model.
I checked it again - and I can't change that any other way.
c) Ok thanks will look into.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.