Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4400353 - 01/16/18 06:31 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 ***** [Re: MrJelly]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
If you are running Windows 10 I recommend ditching D3DWindower and using manual install method described here: https://eaw.neocities.org/eaw-manually-install.html

It works almost perfectly without any issues. The only thing you will need is 3dfx wrapper - I prefer nGlide and the only thing that doesn't work are the movies. All other things work fine (briefings, maps etc.).

Here how it looks on my machine (I have upped the default res of 640x480 to 1280x960 in nGlide settings).

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4400367 - 01/16/18 06:56 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
berrik Offline
berrik  Offline

I run it under the dxwnd and it works! Now I will move forward, my joystick is very insensitive in the game, dont know why.

#4400378 - 01/16/18 07:44 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Great berrik
I would suggest you head to Marks EAW site tons of good information there..And a great section about sticks....what kind of a stink do you have #??

Russ
Semper Fi
#4400390 - 01/16/18 08:16 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
berrik Offline
berrik  Offline

Oh, it is a rather unusual device, it is PPjoy virtual joystick :-) . Generally it works fine (more or less) in the other games, but here I was facing a problem that to make at least a little roll I must move it to an extreme position.

#4400399 - 01/16/18 08:59 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Got me there berrik I don't have any idea what that is..I'm running a Logitec 3 d pro

Russ
Semper Fi
#4400696 - 01/18/18 05:24 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Still running in 2018 wink

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4401727 - 01/24/18 11:05 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
berrik Offline
berrik  Offline

Originally Posted by MrJelly
Still running in 2018 wink

For someone, but not for me...

And... that's what happens:

when Flight Control - mouse

when Flight Control - Joystick

and when Flight Control - Joystick and the eaw.ini was edited by me manually
Flight Sensitivity=102.239998
Windows Joystick=0
JoystickDeadZone=0

With the mouse flight options I cannot play because I cannot make pitch up\down. With the joystick options the same problem and it is more insensitive. With the modded ini and the emulator it flies but almost uncontrollable. especially at rolls.
So I think the main problem is the vertical axe.

And I think this is not your fault, because I installed the original game without the mod, run it with the dxwind and got the same. Seems it was so from the beginning.
Of course you can say this is because I use programme to emulate joystick, but I feel that if I had hardware one the result would be the same.
So to play and fly I should use my keyboard to "help" my "joystick" to make stick up and down. What is the problem I don't know.

Btw, during my experiments I installed the 160MP in a second folder. And when I tried to run that copy of the game I always got "Pic not found TMOD204.tpc! -1" Just how I made it to work before? nope

Last edited by berrik; 01/24/18 11:29 PM.
#4404472 - 02/10/18 04:38 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Hi berrik,

I've never tried a virtual joystick in EAW.
I would suggest
Windows Joystick=1
JoystickDeadZone=4
as a start

keep turned down the joystick sensitivity and the mouse.
You may even need adjust the mouse in your OS settings or whatever for the virtual joystick software.

As rwatson pointed out MarkEAW's EAW Help Site is has a lot of information.
These pages: Joystick and Remappable and Inside The eaw.ini are most relevant.

It wouls also be hepful to post questions in the main EAW forum area not this sticky.

Thanks and Welcome!

p.s. personally I've been able to fly for years using just keyboard and mouse and dogfight a bit and even kill AI's.
But really a Real joystick is needed to do WWII air combat seriously!
EAW in full real mode with later exe's such as 1.28e, 1.3, 1.40, 1.60, etc is a decent simulation not an arcade like 1.2 and earlier.
This is thanks to a lot of work by the EAW Code Group and particularly the excellent skills of Knegel who redeveloped the flight modeling since EAWRP 2.6 (which btw worked as an add-on to 1,2 ~ see Marks' OAW info here EAW Community Addons and Files original download (for EAW 1.2) is here: OAW

Other resources links are at European Air War (EAW) Links and Sandbagger's EAW Tally-HO

Last edited by FsFOOT; 02/10/18 04:53 AM.
#4404622 - 02/11/18 04:51 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

#4404700 - 02/11/18 10:31 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: FsFOOT]  
berrik Offline
berrik  Offline

Originally Posted by FsFOOT

Thanks and Welcome!

p.s. personally I've been able to fly for years using just keyboard and mouse and dogfight a bit and even kill AI's.
But really a Real joystick is needed to do WWII air combat seriously!
EAW in full real mode with later exe's such as 1.28e, 1.3, 1.40, 1.60, etc is a decent simulation not an arcade like 1.2 and earlier.
This is thanks to a lot of work by the EAW Code Group and particularly the excellent skills of Knegel who redeveloped the flight modeling since EAWRP 2.6 (which btw worked as an add-on to 1,2 ~ see Marks' OAW info here EAW Community Addons and Files original download (for EAW 1.2) is here: OAW

Other resources links are at European Air War (EAW) Links and Sandbagger's EAW Tally-HO

I have the real joysticks a long time, they were different models, Genius, Logitec, etc. But formerly I was flying a lot (now far less), and they periodically started to malfunction, resistors started getting noises, and it was a torture to play, and I had to run to search for the new resistors, and because I'm living in a provincial town I didnt always could buy new ones, and so on. And some years ago I found out that there are programmes that are emulating joysticks. I tried two or three. I am playing with them Il 2 stourmovic and cliff of dover, lock on(s), enemy engaged with the mod, rise of flight, and so on. Of course, they have some limitation, and sometimes it is difficult to set up them and adjust and tune up, but they have some advantage too. The main advantage is a precision of fire, your shooting at targets is very handy, and the main disadvantage that an immersion into the game is highest with a real joystick, because it is real like the one in a real plane.
Thanks, I will try your advises later. All wright may be the game is conflicting with the virtual one. But what absolutely incomprehensible for me is that the flight control mouse is not working for me too. As I remember before I used exactly this option. I took my old mouse but the result was the same- like I have an incredible big dead zone! I can only slightly rock my plane up and down and on the left and right and that's all...

#4410623 - 03/15/18 04:40 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

rgr.

EAW Still Running 2018!

I have a page on my site for EAW 1.28E: How To get and use EAW 1.28e version in Wine on Linux
Even if you don't use Linux it has some helpful information for 1.28E

Other details and download link in my sig or from my site EAW Page

Also visit the vintage EAW Retro Flight School

Last edited by FsFOOT; 04/24/18 07:09 AM.
#4422009 - 05/21/18 09:24 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: FsFOOT]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Meaning no offense to berrik, but use the right tool for the job. Work-arounds, such as virtual joystick, are just that; work-arounds, and no real substitute for the right tool. The right tool for the job, in this case, a joystick, will solve a lot of your problems.

I understand, from your comments, that buying a new joystick is a problem.

Maybe it is time for you to fix that problem, even though doing so is difficult.

Please accept my suggestions along with my best wishes!

#4429247 - 07/07/18 04:25 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Hi all, since I'm old I won't be working on EAW anymore or posting here

I made a copy of all my addons and documents that were on my Addons page at Sandbaggers, its available as a .zip download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/volsvfo061k3x9i/rafroys_alladdons.zip

size is 31.24 MB
Also includes a @ copy of the RAF_Roy's Addons page for description, etc.
(actually a few addons are missing but most are there.)

This .zip doesn't include the material on my website or the 1.28e full version and so forth -

But those are already in the same download folder however, here (same as my Sig):
My Downloads folder

Adios, my friends!

#4431215 - 07/21/18 01:01 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Updated my EOL Downloads folder with more standalone EAW offerings, docs, tools.
[Linked Image]

The standalone_eaw_packages_here.txt file I will update if I add any more. Now it has 4 offerings. As below,

standalone_eaw_packages_here:

*updated 7/17/2018:
added EAW1.2 and EAW1.28_standalone.zip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

EAW1.2.zip
This is EAW 1.2 with 2 exceptions;

1. I added files needed for Linux into the folder. the 2 files;
KeyList.str and remapabl.str are from one of the EAW .cdf archives but needed for Linux in the EAW folder to avoid error.

2. I replaced the Movies.cdf with the 'fake' Movies.cdf which saves @ 250MB space.
So don't play the movies and be sure to set play 'Intro' to OFF in EAW or eaw.ini.

note; this is not a 'patch' it is the full version!

-----------------------------------------------

EAW1.28_standalone.zip ----------------
This is a .zip of the EAW 1.28 release all set up over patched EAW 1.2.
In other words; a standalone complete folder to play EAW 1.28 release version EAW 1.28 was the beginning of the EAW Code Grupos work and the predecessor to EAW 1.28a, b, c, d, e and f, and so forth.
a copy named xeaw.ini included for reference purposes. and a couple text files of lists details, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eaw1.28efullversion-3-1-2017.zip -----------------
is a standalone EAW all set up. No need for patches or an original eaw folder,etc.
OAW is NOT included.
1.28e is more or less the Best overall replacement for the EAW 1.~ 1.2 and 1.28 CodeGrupo series. Since it has the advanced features. However it is not completely compatible with older campaigns. You would Have to alter or replacement some of those files. MrJelly issued 1.28e prepared versions of older campaigns like DAW, etc. under the 'SU' label look to those and use OAW Select to load them properly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EAW1.28C-with-OAW128v13.zip
predates 1.28e version obviously.
is a standalone EAW all set up. No need for patches or an original eaw folder,etc.
1.28C is probably the next best version to 1.28e if for some reason you need an older version for old campaigns, or comparison, etc. and not using 1.28e.
To use again consult MrJelly or MarkEAW for packages or in a pinch you can try loading an 1.2 era campaign.
It doesn't always work though.
For example I used it later to run BeachHell_Isles just had to remove the tmod.dat (from 1.28b) and some other tweaks?

anyway, just a FYI

EAW1.2-with-OAWunifiedv1.01 is another yet older setup I could recommend and will likely amend this and offer it here as a standalone soon.

-Roy 7/17/2018

I decided for now not to make a standalone for OAWUnified, since I offer the EAW1.2.zip and the OAWunifiedV1.01-English-extracted.zip, the user can make one himself easily.
Originally Posted by OAWunifiedV1.01-extract-readme.txt

OAWunifiedV1.01-English-extracted.zip Readme -- 7/2018

I extracted the files from the English (US UK) version from the installer, and offer them as a .zip here.
This is for use on Linux or Windows.

=================================================================================================
============================= To USE:============================================================

You will need to manually dump ALL the contents of the .zip's "apps" directory into your EAW folder (EAW version 1.2 only!).
======>>>> You don't need the folder 'apps' in EAW just everything within it! <================
And you don't need the sys or tmp folders within EAW. They were only for the Visual Basic install stuff if wanted.
======================================================================================================
======================================================================================================

Background:

OAWunified was a project to package a bunch of Addons tailored around the OAW onliners' use.

The object was mainly compatibilty when using so-called "OAW" (Online Air Wars concept, but practically; a collection of both the OAW Select file manager program and Addons).
OAW people would have properly setup all the same set of files. Especially to fly online (although its useful offline as well) without errors.

The OAW Unified offering provided Addons of many types, Planes skins, Planes Fligh and Damage models, Ground objects, scenarios, maps and so forth in one 'Unified' package.

Also it importantly uses a version of OAW Select (often called OAW by itself, a bit of a misnomer) program that can use what is called Autoscripts.
OAWSelectV220S.exe is the program version included in this the OAW Unified version 1.01 (aka 'Final' release.)
Autoscripts are a system that enable the manager to load a set of files compatibly.

The scenario creator would make the setup of what was to be used (folders, files to be loaded basically) and generate the Autoscript in the program. Then save it.
The another user can simply use the Autoscript to load that setup.

Some Autoscripts are included.
You can also make you own using OAW Select.
These are really just text files and the contents are such as the M03(Lake_1).gup shown below:

Lake_1 Mission by RAF_Roy
'Depot' and 'Ship1' targets by Toneye
Credits to DAW Team for original locations

D (empty)
M (empty)
J Lake_1
L Lake_1
Q Lake_1
V Lake_1
s (empty)
W (empty)

That said, you can get the idea.

The differences between this .zip version of OAWUnified and the normal one is that I've extracted all the files from the installer.
Originally the package was within an Innosetup installer program I built for it.
That program would unpackage the archive to where you direct it (your EAW folder) and do some other operations at install.
Those operations were mainly just install and register the Visual Basic files used by OAWSelectV220S.exe a Windows Visual Basic program that uses 'runtimes'.

I included the Microsoft provided vbrun60sp6.exe which is simply a archive and register mechanism containing Visual Basic 60 runtimes.
The installer would extract that and trigger it and it would run and 'install' or 'register' the files to the Windows system registry and place some files in the system folder as needed.
I've included those files in the root sub-folders. They are simply for that purpose if you need them"
Folders:
tmp --> contains vbrun60sp6.exe
sys --> contains MSFLXGRD.OCX and TABCTL32.OCX ; these are 2 Windows system files used by OAWSelectV220S also. They are meant to be placed in the 'system' folder (note that's on an Windows XP or earlier system).

Anyway, for Linux you probably may want to use another means for loading the folders than OAW Select, frankly. For example a batch script from the commandline or simply load them by hand or other program?
You can run Visual Basic programs in WINE Software and indeed you would need WINE to run EAW on Linux, but I've not ever tried to try running OAW Select on my Linux Mint yet.

Anyway...

============================= To USE:============================================================

You will need to manually dump all the contents of the .zip's "apps" directory into your EAW folder (EAW version 1.2 only!).
======>>>> You don't need the folder 'apps' in EAW just everything within it! <================
And you don't need the sys or tmp folders within EAW. They were only for the Visual Basic install stuff if wanted.

-------------------------------------

ps. more technical differences between this zip and the original installer version;
- I have also removed sub-programs and files I made for the 'AutoscriptGet' program, which was a set of tools I made to remotely download autoscripts from my old webserver. Now defunct!

(other tech, fyi: I used innoextract program for Linux to make the extraction. Available in Ubuntu and many other repositories.)

- Roy 7/2018
Adios!
=====================================================================================
=====================================================================================

Original post below from Sandbagger's EAW Tally-Ho "OAW" Webpage

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Announcing; OAW Unified
August 28, 2005

OAW Unified is a new format developed by OAW Unified Team that revitalizes OAW!
It is recommended all users of OAW use this new format
It is implimented by a complete package od add-ons called:
Overview:
* The package supercedes all previous OAW downloads and contains more than those, including 'Knegel's EAWrp2.6 (new revised version), OAW Select version OAWSelectV220S.exe

* This package is a self-installer setup containing compressed files of @ 46MB which sets up everything for you. (The expanded size of @ 90MB is the total size the OAWunified will need on your hard disk)

* To avoid problems and make it easy on yourself, all you need is to have a fresh "clean" Full install of EAW ready, that has been run once and patched to 1.2. (note: if using XP or 2000 see the EAW Wiki, Guides page for how to set up EAW on XP)

* Download the OAWunifiedV1.01.exe version for the language of interface you wish

* Then you just launch the OAWunifiedV1.01.exe and the setup starts. (The setup is just like most professional program installers - also works in all Windows since 9x, to Xp or 2000, 2003 etc.)

* During setup you "Browse" to direct it to your folder that EAW is set up in (normaly European Air War if you have a default setup - that is; the folder containing the Eaw.exe and files EAW uses)

* The installer handles all details thereafter, only at last gives you the option of having a desktop icon or not.Also will make icons also in your windows start menus

*When done you use OAW Select to control all add-ons of the package, and also launch EAW game.

US-UK VERSION
OAW Unified Final v1.01 Release (File Size 47 Meg)

--------------------------
from http://www.thatoneplease.co/Tally-Ho/OAW.html
-------------------------------------------------------
7/2018

OAWUnified has about 350+ planes skins, plus Kngel's EAWRP2.6 Flight, gunnery and Damage model, as well as various terrains, ground object addons, scenarios missions and really was one of the hightlights of EAW work which the OAW Team and players enjoyed immensely at the time. And its still enjoyable today!

S!

Attached Files eawdls-foot.png
#4441339 - 09/28/18 09:01 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: RIBob]  
berrik Offline
berrik  Offline

Originally Posted by RIBob
Meaning no offense to berrik, but use the right tool for the job. Work-arounds, such as virtual joystick, are just that; work-arounds, and no real substitute for the right tool. The right tool for the job, in this case, a joystick, will solve a lot of your problems.

Maybe it is time for you to fix that problem, even though doing so is difficult.

Of course this is an offence, what is the sense of this hypocrisy? I have already mentioned that I had several joysticks and I have the experience about it and I chose that I chose and so on. And all you have is to lecture me about what is the right tool and what I must buy. If you have no answers it is better to keep your opinion to yourself, I worked on pc before you were born, I know what is the right tools more than you and can purchase the whole you with your guts. You understood nothing and saw just what you wish to. If you cannot comprehend some things and someone's choice that's because you are too young, but it is forgivable for yesterday's schoolboys. Be more polite, honey, my life is not your business.

#4441349 - 09/28/18 10:08 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: berrik]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by berrik

Of course this is an offence, what is the sense of this hypocrisy? I have already mentioned that I had several joysticks and I have the experience about it and I chose that I chose and so on. And all you have is to lecture me about what is the right tool and what I must buy. If you have no answers it is better to keep your opinion to yourself, I worked on pc before you were born, I know what is the right tools more than you and can purchase the whole you with your guts. You understood nothing and saw just what you wish to. If you cannot comprehend some things and someone's choice that's because you are too young, but it is forgivable for yesterday's schoolboys. Be more polite, honey, my life is not your business.

That is not how it works, berrik. If you make a public post, it is subject to suggestions (that do not break the rules) from other people. If you don't like the suggestions, feel free to ignore them. Responding to them with infantilizing personal insults is not acceptable. Take a couple weeks off to reconsider how you participate here.

#4442271 - 10/05/18 05:38 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Rather than clog this European Air War- still running.. Sticky thread. If you are new or have general EAW questions or comments ask them in the regular forum thread. Thanks!

..back to the thread; European Air War- still running..

While I have now joined the ranks of the retired EAWers and not playing EAW anymore, that doesn't mean anyone else has to quit.
EAW still runs on Windows and and you can even play it on Linux. See information at my website in my signature.

A little advice though if you intend to pursue "ModiFlying" a term I made up elsewhere known as 'Modding' one will need to have a thick skin, some sense and ample available hours.

Before getting involved in modding of this or any other games I strongly suggest you A. Don't and B. if you choose to ignore a., then read the usefull article linked below:

https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/growing-from-and-surviving-mod-teams--gamedev-239

The article really gives some good information and thus there is no reason to get caught out as many do in disillusionment of modern little mindgames we humans tend to play.
Lucky I have some Friends From Out of Town.

Cheers!

#4442278 - 10/05/18 07:05 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend
smile

#4443219 - 10/10/18 09:23 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: CyBerkut]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by CyBerkut
Originally Posted by berrik

That is not how it works, berrik. If you make a public post, it is subject to suggestions (that do not break the rules) from other people. If you don't like the suggestions, feel free to ignore them. Responding to them with infantilizing personal insults is not acceptable. Take a couple weeks off to reconsider how you participate here.

Holy Smokes! I just read the poster's reply to my comment, and had NO idea that my comments would trigger him. given this, and subsequent events, I will try to make my comments more welcoming.

#4445111 - 10/23/18 11:46 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

RE: Retro revisiting a Shameless promotion from SimHQ archive search;
example of my 'virtually seamless' water mod for SPAW130;

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This SPAW130 example download is no longer available but the water in Beachhell Isles (available My Addons page at Sandbaggers) is similar.

My Addons page at Sandbaggers
offers a modder download for this type of water also, if anyone is interested in implementing it or experimenting.

Last edited by FsFOOT; 10/23/18 11:58 PM.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.