Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4440309 - 09/22/18 08:52 PM Anyone here have experience dealing with stroke / rehab?  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
My grandmother recently suffered a moderate stroke. She's lost vision in her left eye and some in her right, as well as probably some other damage which I don't know the extent of yet. Overall she is doing well aside from the vision and reduced agility. Cracking jokes and seems overall positive, but I know that stroke can affect personality and cause depression so I am nervous as to whether she's putting on a show for the family's sake. She seems very upbeat considering her loss of vision.

Anyway, she'll be released from the hospital soon and I am going to be taking care of her most of the time. She walks and talks fine, though now with the assistance of a cane (She's 87) whereas before she was pretty agile.

Anyone have experience with things like diet (sodium limits / day?), rehab exercises, mental exercises, and things to watch for going forward? Also things to look for regarding mental health and determining personality changes as a result of stroke damage vs depression etc.

Any other info related to stroke recovery and preventative care would be appreciated.

Appreciate the help.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4440335 - 09/22/18 11:47 PM Re: Anyone here have experience dealing with stroke / rehab? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Well, first of all I am sorry for you and her. But, good news is that the stroke sounds relatively miked. My grandma had a massive stroke at 96, after all her life with all her facilities. She was the second smartest person I ever knew, and kept that her whole life thank God.

After her stroke, we did rehabilitation a good facility. Her diet wasn’t much concern to us. We overrode the docs who wanted to have her stock coffee. All else we followed. She lost quite a bit of function and we had to thicken her coffees and help her to the bathroom, etc. We knew she was on limited time at that age, and wanted her to be able to be comfortable as much as possible. She had a second massive stroke during rehab and passed shortly thereafter. I will never forget the doctor who helped us and gave her the meds she wanted, even though the nurse wouldn’t because “it could lower her blood pressure and kill her.”

So, my advice is follow what the doctors say, as long as it isn’t contrary to your grandma’s comfort and wishes. Her life belongs to God, and she is the one who gets to decide the terms on which she lives.

God bless you and her.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4440336 - 09/22/18 11:50 PM Re: Anyone here have experience dealing with stroke / rehab? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
As for rehab, we did card games. She couldn’t talk but could work at it and gesture. Eventually she could talk and joke. It will feel as if no progression is made but really, it’s stunning what a person with faith and determination can regain. Stay optimistic. That’s huge.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4440367 - 09/23/18 03:08 AM Re: Anyone here have experience dealing with stroke / rehab? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by VF9_Longbow

Anyone have experience with things like diet (sodium limits / day?), rehab exercises, mental exercises, and things to watch for going forward? Also things to look for regarding mental health and determining personality changes as a result of stroke damage vs depression etc.

I work in a combination nursing home/physical therapy/rehab facility. Not in a medical capacity. We get young patients too - these are mostly amputees. We also get people as young as thirties who've had a stroke (my mom had one when she was 26!).

I'd think doctors would have already told you what I'll say, but on the off chance not.....

They're always saying to the stroke patients it's best to "get back on the horse" as soon as possible - like if they're in a wheelchair at first but start regaining the ability to stand, walk with a walker, whatever. A "use it or lose it" thing.

I have also seen some stroke victims end up coming down with dementia as a result - youngest one I saw that happen with was 63 though. Still, he was a large, but very fit man - all mentally jacked up when he first arrived, but after 6 months he had improved a lot, it was though he was going to be discharged at some point. But then suddenly he just started going down mentally. So that might be something to look out for down the road...

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.