Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4436073 - 08/27/18 10:55 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by VonBeerhofen
Some issues with EAW may relate to running background processes and their use of memory. Being from the Windows 98 era, EAW simply doesn't like such processes and it's adviced to play the game with a freshly rebooted computer and not do anything to prevvent activation of such processes. Just playing the game has always worked best. Don't browse around in between games, use graphical software or build in telephones, as anything you do not related to playing the game can destroy the game's cache and may result in a CTD at any possible point in the game.

People must also realise that they are in control of memory use by the game. Although it may be preferred to run the highest possible graphics it is not always working out depending on drivers, CPU, GPU or OS, especially not with very enhanced games. When experiencing problems, try switching down detail settings in your EAW.INI and try one lower setting. Then you can try increasing each one one level at the time to see if any one of them might be causing a problem.

There are alternative ways to control graphical behaviour but they're not as simple as turning down a detail setting. One option is to force the game to only use the lores graphics, the detail setting isn't always capable of switching into that mode when a graphics card doesn't allow it the way EAW wants to do it. It's a forced option for which EAWPRO has specific script files, but it can be done without such scripts too. It just rquires a bit of understanding on the various filetypes used within the game. An old trick was to copy or swap lores drawings for terrains and the same can be done with objects and their .TPC's.

The older players will know these things but it's not clear to a newer generation of EAW pilots, because this knowledge is slowly fading. Searching this forum may help you find discussions on the subject and there's nothing wrong with asking for help. EAW just can be a PITA sometimes and other times it just works right off the bat. One thing is certain, it hasn't become any easier since this game's introduction and principally I think the same problems from that era still exist but so do their solutions.

Von Beerhofen

I agree with the idea that having as few as possible processes automatically start-up when booting the computer is almost always a wise idea. For example, if one happens to need Acrobat reader, it takes only a little time for the program to activate itself on demand, as opposed to instant access to the program if it was automatically started at boot-up.

Having a older computer with relatively limited processor and graphics card, I have found it a necessity to run only essential processes at boot-up. This reduces the demand on the CPU and RAM, which is always a good thing. As noted above, once one does something which generates a need for a particular process, it will be activated very quickly. That said, it will remain activated until the computer is shut down, or the user deliberately quits the process, which is not always easily done.

So, the advice given above about running the game prior to accessing any other programs is very good advice. At least, I have found it to be so. YMMV.
I am no expert on windows systems, but IIRC, there is more than one way to pare-down running processes, so do some experimenting.

While my Dell OptiPlex 760 with 8GB RAM, Core 2 Duo processor, and Nvidea 710 graphics card is fairly primitive, I can run IL-2 with almost every graphics option turned on, or maxxed-out. That's not too bad, I reckon.

So, TL;DR, Don't allow stuff to turn automatically, and turn off stuff you don't need

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4436344 - 08/29/18 06:54 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
Boilerplate* Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Boilerplate*  Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Hotshot

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by VonBeerhofen

The older players will know these things but it's not clear to a newer generation of EAW pilots, because this knowledge is slowly fading. Searching this forum may help you find discussions on the subject and there's nothing wrong with asking for help. EAW just can be a PITA sometimes and other times it just works right off the bat. One thing is certain, it hasn't become any easier since this game's introduction and principally I think the same problems from that era still exist but so do their solutions.

Von Beerhofen

To think that this forum continues to pay tribute to abandonware. - This is surely special circumstance {cough}. Nevertheless, I'm sure some of the old timers can relay stories of mirth and folly from decades past.

old_simmer

Perhaps someday we will see threads where only one will be posting for posterity. reading

It's a Game. smile
#4436348 - 08/29/18 07:38 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
VonBeerhofen  Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
Hey BP, long time no hear,

I think ''paying tribute'' is perhaps not the right description. EAW is just a hobby for me, something to keep me going and learning about programming. Where do you get a chance to learn from professionals and which game allows you to modify the source code. Abandonware makes no difference, nor does the fact that some day no one will read these threads anymore. It's just fun to have control over a game and being able to make new things happen.

I have hundreds of games and about 1/2 of them are still in their original wrapping, but there may come a day that these, probably abandonware by now, games may still give me some exitement. To me there was never much difference between pac man and pac man 3D, the newer game wasn't particularly smarter then the old one. If I hadn't stuck to my ancient WinME and XP machines I might have played other games but in this respect ignorance is bliss.

Fact is that good games are expensive, new computers are even more expensive, it's not worth it to me to spend hundreds or thousands of $ to play the latest games, where I still have a few hundred unplayed ones. It's probably not to the point but EAW is still my number one game, one that has brought me both friends and enemies. I concentrate on my friends and hope they have some fun as long as they're still flying online with me. Their views are simmilar to mine and they still love EAW.

Whatever game anyone likes or how long it captures their interest is of no concern to those who still play this game. You can waste a lot of time on learning new manuals each week and buying a new computer every 5 years or so but I'm not one to fall into that trap. Just managed to get my WinME machine working again, a machine I've spend thousands on to turn it into a professional recording studio and at 66 I'm not going to spend that amount again. It worked great for 19 years and still gives me a lot of fun, so for as long as it works I'll use it, when it breaks down the fun is over and there's nothing that will replace it. Well there is but it'll set me back app 10.000$ to get even close to what my ancient WinME can do.

I miss some of my friends and I just hope that occasionally they fondly remember the fun we've had, having been part of that fun is my greatest reward. It may be a silly hobby but I like it, isn't that more important then anything else?

VonBeerhofen

#4436352 - 08/29/18 08:32 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
EAW I guess is Abandonware but for me the old girl still grabs me..And like VB I have a 8 year old HP machine I grabbed for $ 300 and it does what I want it to do..I've added a discreet video card ,,more memory and a second 1 TB drive and it's not state of the art has a 4 core AMD chip at 3.2 GHZ..I've been flying EAW since it first came out,,Been in a few squads and finally found a home at JG_51 Many moons ago.. ..I've has the honor of meeting some good folks here and found them helpful when I had a question..I respect them and the seem to respect me..We have dwindled down to a small crowd but EAW keeps us here..I fly other sims but EAW is always my sim of choice..It would be nice to see some new pilots come in but EAW doesn't have the glitz of others so I see it dwindling as we get old and pass it will pass eventually into the dustbin of history..But the enjoyment I've had and the friends I've made are priceless to me

Russ
Semper Fi
#4436388 - 08/30/18 01:29 AM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: rwatson]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Here's the deal. I've posted about this before, and got zero interest.

But it's what I'm going to do, with my upcoming machine.

And what you can do to your current decent computer.

Install "Virtual Machine" program, which is supported by Microsoft. Google it.

What you need to do this is a reasonably modern machine, with a very large hard drive, and plenty of RAM,

What "Virtual Machine allows is that you can run any installed operating system on the computer, one at a time. Most computer shops/gurus have installable versions of most MS OpSys going way back, Will do so for small change. MULTIPLE OpSys available at the click of a button, and once done, revert to base OpSys (Win 10), with a couple of clicks.

Run any computer game on originally-intended intended OpSys, as you choose.
All of a sudden, formerly inaccessible games are suddenly available.

Think about it. Creating VM is a lot easier than modding some games. Gonna need a BIG HD, probably 2 TB

Nobody is open to this opportunity, as it makes obsolete a lot of time and effort on the part of game developers. so, institutional inertia.

But, if you want to run games, VM is the key to running them in their original environment, without hassle. Call it a Way-Back OpSys.

I know this is a LOT to digest.

I'm saving up for a very decent machine what will allow me to do this. My current gaming computer is basically crap.

Last edited by RIBob; 08/30/18 01:47 AM.
#4436403 - 08/30/18 09:24 AM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Don't see VM as worth the troubles and expense of a third HD..I'm running Win 7 and it runs everything I throw at it..With the exception of some really ancient titles that require a DOS environment for that there's DOS Box which is easy to use..I know some had troubles with Win 10 but as long as I'm running Win 7 I haven't found any sim/war game that won't run..most of the modders aren't modding aren't modding to get it running but rather to improve the game itself..I have cd's for Win 98 and XP packed away in my archives It's very easy to set up a win 7 / XP dual boot but it's not necessary everything runs well for me

Russ
Semper Fi
#4436620 - 08/31/18 08:45 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: rwatson]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by rwatson
Don't see VM as worth the troubles and expense of a third HD..I'm running Win 7 and it runs everything I throw at it..With the exception of some really ancient titles that require a DOS environment for that there's DOS Box which is easy to use..I know some had troubles with Win 10 but as long as I'm running Win 7 I haven't found any sim/war game that won't run..most of the modders aren't modding aren't modding to get it running but rather to improve the game itself..I have cd's for Win 98 and XP packed away in my archives It's very easy to set up a win 7 / XP dual boot but it's not necessary everything runs well for me

Don't need a third HD, only a single HD big enough to hold the various legacy Operating Systems, as well as the other stuff. When I say 2 TB, that's allowing a LOT of "headroom".

I took a few very old games over to my computer guy to try to install them on his VM machine--he's a fan of flight sims, too.

The games went from DOS era up to Win ME. He would select appropriate OpSys. pop the game into the player, install it, and it would play. Select another game; different Opsys. Select correct OpSys, install, and play. Every time. Impressive. and VM is supported by Microsoft. You probably have the framework already installed on your current machine, just need to install free VM, AND have access to clean installs of the various legacy operating systems. Your local computer guy, assuming he's been in business for a while can help you with that for a nominal fee.

In my case, once I get my new machine, my computer guy has agreed to install the OpSys for free, since I've let him download and install a lot of old flight sims. He can figure out the CD-cracks; should be no problem for him.

But, I understand; it's not for everyone. That's cool, just mentioning the option.

#4436625 - 08/31/18 08:56 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
NP Bob my two drives are kinda cramped now ..I had an external storage drive die but managed to recover the files..But as it stands Win 7 runs everything I want and I am happy with it..Win 10 gave me fits so I'll just stick with Win 7..

Russ
Semper Fi
#4436630 - 08/31/18 09:28 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: rwatson]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by rwatson
NP Bob my two drives are kinda cramped now ..I had an external storage drive die but managed to recover the files..But as it stands Win 7 runs everything I want and I am happy with it..Win 10 gave me fits so I'll just stick with Win 7..

I have a stand-alone, brand-new HD on a ESATA connection (switchable On/Off) HD "Caddy" as backup, and it stood me in very good stead recently. The thing about the HD "Caddy" is that the conventional HD plugs into the caddy. If the caddy fails, that's independent of the HD, so buy another caddy. OTOH, if HD fails, well...……. My 1 TB installed HD is only about 1/3 full even with all the games I've been installing, but I am ruthless at culling unnecessary stuff. I can "plug-in" a conventional HD or a laptop-style HD into the caddy to back-up both my ancient Dell OptiPlex 760, or my newer Dell Inspirion 1050 laptop. Very convenient.

The 1 TB and bigger SSDs are dropping in price, but if considering such, I advise doing research as to the more reliable manufacturers. Your local computer guy can "clone" your existing drive(s) onto the SSD for a nominal charge (assuming your new SSD has the capacity), and with a stand-alone conventional HD caddy, the old HDs will be available as backups, until they eventually fail. The SSD won't make your computer run noticeably faster, but start-up will be almost instantaneous, and if the computer needs to access the HD, of course that will be a lot faster than with an old-fashioned HD. A LOT faster. If you have installed Max RAM, this will not usually be an issue.

To return my unintentional hi-jacking of the thread back to the original topic (sort of) is that with VM, one does NOT need ANY wrapper program, since the games are being played in their original OpSys environment. FRAME RATES, anyone? Unsure of the necessity of NGlide, but that is dependent on the configuration of the game being played, and whether the particular game is configured for NGlide or not.

Last edited by RIBob; 08/31/18 10:18 PM.
#4436638 - 08/31/18 10:26 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I've noticed if I turn on my Virtualization (Hyper-V) in my bios, some games perform poor due to the over head It uses. at least it did when I tried it long ago (years).
I'm not too sure what it is, something about running an old OS inside of Win7 or 10. It gives it hardware support to do that.
Anyway. I don't want to run my old OS just for a few games, Win10 seems to run all the stuff I need it too, like Russ said you have DosBox for the very old stuff.

But I'm happy for you that you found use for whats supported. I just wish they would reissue slimmed down versions of there OS to run games on, then that VM stuff might be of interest. I wouldn't mind a nice squared away WinME light and fully updated version to use.
I doubt they kept any info about the problems they had after WinME was stop supported.

#4436642 - 08/31/18 11:09 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by MarkEAW
I've noticed if I turn on my Virtualization (Hyper-V) in my bios, some games perform poor due to the over head It uses. at least it did when I tried it long ago (years).
I'm not too sure what it is, something about running an old OS inside of Win7 or 10. It gives it hardware support to do that.
Anyway. I don't want to run my old OS just for a few games, Win10 seems to run all the stuff I need it too, like Russ said you have DosBox for the very old stuff.

But I'm happy for you that you found use for whats supported. I just wish they would reissue slimmed down versions of there OS to run games on, then that VM stuff might be of interest. I wouldn't mind a nice squared away WinME light and fully updated version to use.
I doubt they kept any info about the problems they had after WinME was stop supported.

Let's just say that my computer guy, a commercial business, BTW, is a flight sim guy, and he was ALL OVER my offer of old flight sims to install on his VM system. He already had every OpSys installed from DOS on up, at least in Microsoft/Windows. Every single OpSys, updated till the day they were no longer Officially supported.. He had to do so, as it was part of his business to support legacy OpSys customers. Your local computer guy, as long as he's been in business for a while very likely has the same, ready-to-go OpSys available for installation on a Virtual Machine.

I don't know what the charge might be for downloading legacy OpSys onto your computer might be. Probably trivial, if you have a friendly relationship with your computer guy.

So, let's say you're starting with a VM computer. Remember that the framework is already installed by MS, and the VM program is free. all that you need is to obtain the legacy OpSys from local computer guy, if you don't already have them.

Your computer starts up at default OpSys, say, Win 10. Click a button, and choose legacy OpSys on VM program , install game disc, load, and play the game as originally intended, under originally intended OpSys. No Wrapper required, and on a modern computer! Done? Exit game, click a couple of buttons, and return to Win 10.

How's that? Only thing required is HD large enough to include the various OpSys you want. Let's be frank: most of our HDs are not getting any younger--or more reliable-- so they can stand replacing with a newer,larger HD. Save your old HD, buy a stand-alone HD caddy, and use it as a backup.

I know this is a new concept, and a bit radical. I understand that. But I've seen it done, before my eyes. It works.

#4436736 - 09/01/18 07:15 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Moggy and I both run a virtual machine on windows 10 PC using an XP operating system on the VM.
We use it for EAW source code programming and a few other things.
However, I cannot run EAW on it because my video card is 64 bit, and is impossible to install on the XP operating system.
So the default VM video drivers are used, and with them EAW crashes.
At one stage I tried to install XP on an old SATA drive in my HDD slot, but the installation crashed as it attempted to set up the video system, because it could not cope with the video card smile

wink Jel

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4436776 - 09/02/18 01:06 AM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Regarding DXWND.
How do I get it so the IP box shows up when I click Multiplayer->TCP?

Every version of EAW I have is configured basically the same in DXWND. Ranging from 1.2 to 160.
But I get a blank and black (well flashing) IP Box. Like you would if it was running on Win2k.

I'm not sure which options I need to check to get it to show properly. Any Help?

#4436797 - 09/02/18 09:16 AM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

It is working on my W10 laptop here in Switzerland.
I did not knowingly make any setting changes, but wth DXWND open any version I launch runs in a window, and I get the normal MP sequence, in the window.
I just ran GameRanger and the default 1.2c ran in the window. Then I launched 160 which launched in a window, went to MP and the normal sequence of events occurred, all in the window smile

Mark. What happens when you are not using a windower?

Last edited by MrJelly; 09/02/18 05:38 PM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4436855 - 09/02/18 06:32 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by MrJelly
Moggy and I both run a virtual machine on windows 10 PC using an XP operating system on the VM.
We use it for EAW source code programming and a few other things.
However, I cannot run EAW on it because my video card is 64 bit, and is impossible to install on the XP operating system.
So the default VM video drivers are used, and with them EAW crashes.
At one stage I tried to install XP on an old SATA drive in my HDD slot, but the installation crashed as it attempted to set up the video system, because it could not cope with the video card smile

wink Jel

Running VM, eh? Been touting that, but few people believe me.

IIRC, there are ways to run more than one graphics card.

Last edited by RIBob; 09/02/18 06:44 PM.
#4437070 - 09/04/18 01:42 AM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Jel, (I just seen your edit a few mins ago, I hate it edits dont notify of new text)

I think the IP box is opening out of the window frame of DXWND and its flashing fast, mostly black. I havn't gone back to test it out. I have to check if I have DPLAY installed or not, win10 use to force it on me when i first ran eaw.exe but I'm in the windower program so I think thats why its not forcing it on me.

I'm trying to get some fake multiplayer to test some theories out about gun bullets and counts etc.
Apparently only the multiplayer debriefing screen shows ammo used (recorded by the game).
If there was a way to get that info on the standard quick mission debriefing screen, that would be ideal.

Alright I'll report back about the multiplayer bit.

Last edited by MarkEAW; 09/04/18 01:54 AM. Reason: seen edit
#4437081 - 09/04/18 02:35 AM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I checked and DPLAY is installed, at least according to the Win10 optional windows features check marks.

Its weird. (I haven't tested MP launch outside of the wrapper yet.)

#4437129 - 09/04/18 01:27 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Occasionally in the past when I got a CTD with the wrapper I ran EAW without the wrapper and got a CTD too.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4437152 - 09/04/18 03:26 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Yeah I got a the 7217 error,
Because I used DXWND to remove the compatibility fix/layer threw one of its options.

Then win10 doesn't seem to be reapplying automatically the compatibility fix (anymore like it use too), so I had to place it in the reg to correct that. I re wrote some of my help docs to show this.

I'll try a few things to see if i can get the IP / multiplayer box to show.

#4437165 - 09/04/18 04:43 PM Re: DXWND results in Win 7 [Re: MrJelly]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Alright, just as I thought, I ran EAW in full screen and the Locate Session (IP box) showed up properly.
It wasn't showing because it was being displayed partialy off the wrapper window frame.

I have to see if theres some setting I can use to clear this up (besides running EAW in full screen within the wrapper).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.