Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4435513 - 08/23/18 08:58 PM Something (I bet) you have never done in Falcon, ever  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

Part 1: My Epiphany

Well, I never have done it until today, never even considered doing it.

Would you give your life for your country?

How about just your reputation? Or your Rank?

It happens in real wars. They were super hero's, the one's who did it.

Like the one's who appeared to join the other side but were in reality gathering information.

Didn't they know that the truth/their vindication, may never be known? This is part of the 'real' world of war, and patriotism.

Doing what you have to do, even if at a heavy personal loss. Isn't that part of the essence of war?

So have you ever been court-martialed in Falcon? Well sure, I bet. I have.

But have you ever done it intentionally, with a purpose in mind?

A purpose that aids in the war effort. Even though it entails a personal loss.

I don't mean just taking a big chance, I mean knowing beforehand that you will be court-martialed.

Before taxing. Before airborne. I'm saying actually targeting a friendly in mission planning.

Have you ever thought about doing that?

And of course, taking one for the home team?

Probably not. I never heard of or knew anyone to do it. Not in Falcon anyway.

But it's there, in Falcon. Just like in the real world. And I finally saw it. And I understand.

One thing for sure is you can't just get the AI to do it. They won't comply.

It's going to be up to you to do the 'right' thing.

Today I did it, and was glad I did. My country had it's back against the wall, so I did it.

I had finally realized that I have to do it. There was no alternative.

And as I knew would happen, I got a well deserved Court Martial, as mission planning had kindly predicted.

So from where does this unfortunate opportunity arise?

Where in Falcon do we have our backs against the wall to justify such a thing?

Where do we most likely find the messed up situation that dictates such a strategy?

Iron Fortress of course. It is by definition the campaign with your back up against the wall.

And there is no better theater than Korea Strong for putting the pressure on.

==================================================================================================
Part 2: The Circumstances

Day 1, 9 AM

Troops are rolling in from the north, and northwest from multiple avenues.

Red air will very soon be extra strong, making it difficult to do CAT 3 missions.

And there's not enough helos or A-10's to handle it. How do you stop them?

The decision is made to strike all relevant Red bridges and give Bridge Strikes first priority of all the tasking orders.

Not DCA, not AI. Just specific bridge strikes. That's what's in the air for Blue the first 15 minutes of the campaign.

Mutliple sorties on the same targets to ensure success. All avenues to Taegu must be closed.

We are in a defensive posture before the clock starts.

I am confident this strategy has a good chance of working.

But there's this one Blue bridge that worries me. As I look at it I wished it was Red.

It is Pangajae, to the NorthWest. The Blue Pangajae, not the Red one. We will get the Red one just fine I expect.

And as the strikes go out, I see that all targets are being destroyed.

But Blue Pagajae remains an open avenue to Taegu. Oh, well there's nothing I can do about that. It's Blue after all.

And as I worried that it might happen, a Tank 55 battalion does indeed cross Blue Pangajae.

The bridge turns red shortly after they cross, but they are already past it and have a direct route to Taegu, and now it's too late to hit it.

Red has breeched my perimeter plan. They are inbound to Taegu and moving fast.

The A-10's I dispatch to meet them drop their A-G load when engaged by now omnipresent Red Fighters and the T-55 tanks quickly roll in so close that Taegu is evacuated.

Not a good thing at all. It is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

So I decide to start the campaign over, but knowing something now that I didn't know 5 minutes ago. Something that I never knew.

And that is that not only are the blue bridges a liability to our defensive war effort (of course), but even more than that, the clear realization overwhelms me that sometimes

they need to be hit. By us. Blue on Blue. To complete the defensive perimeter strategy, in this case. And I'm just the right guy for the job.

Alternatively, I can see perhaps making any particular road more difficult for enemy to travel ahead of time. And that should help.

But the great thing about Falcon is it's unpredictable nature, so the next time may play out differently, or at a different location.

And it's just not possible to fortify all those roads in a hurry. The only sure way is to close them all. Even if Blue.

The important lesson here must therefore be to address the liability when you notice it. And just do what it takes to not lose.

It was the Blue bridge that was the obvious liability. That was the key. The only weak point in a good defensive plan. But boy was it hidden by it's color.

There are Blue battalions very close to the bridge, and Red too. And thinking about it now, there is something worse than just a Court Martial,

and it's a Court Martial involving a fratricide. So I have to be smart to pull off this planned violation and not make it worse than it already is.

But once I replayed the campaign, and did what I had to do, with all avenues to Taegu now closed, no Red ground troops get within 30 miles of Taegu.

I have Bullseye centered at Taegu, and there are no enemy battalions able to get within that inner bullseye circle, the innermost 30 miles.

As a matter of fact, they left. They went north looking for an alternative access, only to find other bridges closed as well. Now they are stuck.

Now that there is NO ground threat, I can concentrate on air activity. Though indeed a substantial challenge, I can allocate all resources to the air effort now.

So that is what I learned today. It's something I had never considered; going on a mission designed to hit Blue. But I absolutely will now.

Isn't Falcon great to do that! To open up the thought process in that way. Today I got Court-Martialed and am happy that I did.

I fragged a single ship with MK 84's and I did the deed. And I'm pretty satisfied with myself for doing it too. No Blue lives were lost in doing so.

Destroying the blue bridge stopped the T55 battalion and saved Taegu. And the campaign is going pretty durn good because of it.

If you say that's crazy to do it, how can that be wrong if it's done in the real world? So open up to the idea, is my thinking, and the reason for sharing my story.

If you've ever heard someone blame Falcon for something that's not right, I've found that it's usually a case of the pilot not doing something himself, or not finding the answer.

As I have been doing until today.

I like to think that doing this is the answer for winning Iron Fortress, Korea Strong. It sure is looking good so far, anyway.

To do like this will just require a deeper step into reality, by the pilot. The reality of war and sacrifice.

We cannot all be ceremonious heroes, but we can all be heroes nonetheless.

Attached Files The Plan.jpgCourt Martial.jpgCourt Martial 2.jpg
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4435515 - 08/23/18 09:11 PM Re: Something (I bet) you have never done in Falcon, ever [Re: -Axe-]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
That was one of the coolest AARs I've ever read (with consequences and results)! thumbsup

It's too bad Falcon doesn't have a detailed campaign manager (i.e. order engineers or pilots to destroy [friendly] bridge). In any case, that was a damn great idea, despite the blemish on your record!

Last edited by MarkG; 08/23/18 09:13 PM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4435574 - 08/24/18 12:32 PM Re: Something (I bet) you have never done in Falcon, ever [Re: -Axe-]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
All's fair in love and war. And if you saved your entire northwestern front from being torn asunder then it's worth the court-martial.

And what's one more court-martial. There's a war on ya know!

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4435585 - 08/24/18 01:56 PM Re: Something (I bet) you have never done in Falcon, ever [Re: -Axe-]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

thanks for the support guys.

MarkG- really appreciate your comment. Great to see an old timer see it like I do. Much appreciate you putting up your perspective.
And your thinking it would be good to have a battalion do this job is a good one. But if they can't get there, I'll do it. I'm the backup plan.

D- you to , you ole old timer biggrin

I guess one way of looking at Falcon, is if we want Falcon to be realistic, well, we gotta be realistic too.
And if we intend to do that, there are situations built in Falcon to accommodate us.

The secret that I claimed to have found,was, for me, that it's ok to hit Blue in Falcon.

Really glad to see I ain't crazy. bananadance thanks again guys!

#4435597 - 08/24/18 02:20 PM Re: Something (I bet) you have never done in Falcon, ever [Re: -Axe-]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by -Axe-

Really glad to see I ain't crazy.

I'm not certain we've ruled that out exactly biggrin

#4435625 - 08/24/18 03:33 PM Re: Something (I bet) you have never done in Falcon, ever [Re: -Axe-]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
"Dereliction of duty"... tuner neaner

mdwa
#4435676 - 08/24/18 08:52 PM Re: Something (I bet) you have never done in Falcon, ever [Re: -Axe-]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

D--things for you to remember when we fly multiplayer:
1--I may be crazy
2--I ain't scared to hit blue biggrin

#4435677 - 08/24/18 08:56 PM Re: Something (I bet) you have never done in Falcon, ever [Re: -Axe-]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

mdwa

Hey, my consecutive stayed at 86. neaner

#4435749 - 08/25/18 12:21 PM Re: Something (I bet) you have never done in Falcon, ever [Re: -Axe-]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by -Axe-
D--things for you to remember when we fly multiplayer:
1--I may be crazy
2--I ain't scared to hit blue biggrin

Duly noted. You lead biggrin

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.