#4434075 - 08/13/18 11:28 AM Re: Barry Lyndon * [Re: Ssnake51]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Ssnake51
Amadeus not so much. Other than the references to Mozart's crass humor, the movie got too much wrong historically.

Normally I'm not very forgiving of movies that make significant changes to historical facts but I made an exception for Amadeus since it was based on a stage play which already had made those historical changes and also because I think the movie works perfectly as a filmed drama and because the performances by the cast were so brilliant.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/13/18 11:29 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4434656 - 08/18/18 06:16 AM Re: Barry Lyndon [Re: Ssnake51]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by rezerekted
I have this on DVD, always knew it was a masterpeice but it took the critics a while to get onboard. Just proves they know #%&*$#.

That is silly. there is a large range of opinions among film critics.

Barry Lyndon was universally panned when it came out.

#4434903 - 08/19/18 07:06 PM Re: Barry Lyndon [Re: rezerekted]  
Ssnake51 Offline
Ssnake51  Offline

California
I have this on DVD, always knew it was a masterpeice but it took the critics a while to get onboard. Just proves they know #%&*$#.

That is silly. there is a large range of opinions among film critics.

Barry Lyndon was universally panned when it came out.

From wikipedia:
"The film "was not the commercial success Warner Bros. had been hoping for" within the United States,[5] although it fared better in Europe. This mixed reaction saw the film (in the words of one retrospective review) "greeted, on its release, with dutiful admiration – but not love. Critics... rail[ed] against the perceived coldness of Kubrick's style, the film's self-conscious artistry and slow pace. Audiences, on the whole, rather agreed..."[5] This "air of disappointment"[5] factored into Kubrick's decision for his next film – Stephen King's The Shining – a project that would not only please him artistically, but also be more likely to succeed financially. Still, several other critics, including Gene Siskel, praised the film's technical quality and strong narrative, and Siskel himself counted it as one of the five best films of the year."

Guess your definition of "universally panned" would be different from mine. Also, regular movie goers generally disliked the movie at least as much as film critics.
Sorry, but your original claim still strikes me as being quite silly. biggrin

Asus Maximus IX Formula | i7 7700k | 32GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1080ti | Dell U3011 2560 x 1600 | Benchmark DAC2 HGC | dynaudio MKII Studio Monitors | Thrustmaster WartHog
#4434904 - 08/19/18 07:20 PM Re: Barry Lyndon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake51 Offline
Ssnake51  Offline

California
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Amadeus not so much. Other than the references to Mozart's crass humor, the movie got too much wrong historically.

Normally I'm not very forgiving of movies that make significant changes to historical facts but I made an exception for Amadeus since it was based on a stage play which already had made those historical changes and also because I think the movie works perfectly as a filmed drama and because the performances by the cast were so brilliant.

Fair enough. I feel the same about "Lawrence of Arabia". I can still enjoy it despite it getting a large number of important facts about T. E. Lawrence wrong.

Asus Maximus IX Formula | i7 7700k | 32GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1080ti | Dell U3011 2560 x 1600 | Benchmark DAC2 HGC | dynaudio MKII Studio Monitors | Thrustmaster WartHog
#4434956 - 08/20/18 02:52 AM Re: Barry Lyndon [Re: Ssnake51]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Also, regular movie goers generally disliked the movie at least as much as film critics.

In my opinion, the fundamental issue with the film is that both the setting and the subject matter were a bit too esoteric even for 1970's era movie theater audiences. That's why it was not a commercial success.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4434972 - 08/20/18 08:23 AM Re: Barry Lyndon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Kubrick seemed to alternate between immediate audience success and next-level slow-burn.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4434984 - 08/20/18 09:50 AM Re: Barry Lyndon [Re: Ssnake51]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Fair enough. I feel the same about "Lawrence of Arabia". I can still enjoy it despite it getting a large number of important facts about T. E. Lawrence wrong.

Lawrence of Arabia is another excellent example. Great film-making while taking many liberties with historical facts. Another one that falls in this category is Braveheart.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/20/18 09:50 AM.

#4435119 - 08/21/18 12:53 AM Re: Barry Lyndon [Re: Ssnake51]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada

From wikipedia:
"The film "was not the commercial success Warner Bros. had been hoping for" within the United States,[5] although it fared better in Europe. This mixed reaction saw the film (in the words of one retrospective review) "greeted, on its release, with dutiful admiration – but not love. Critics... rail[ed] against the perceived coldness of Kubrick's style, the film's self-conscious artistry and slow pace. Audiences, on the whole, rather agreed..."[5] This "air of disappointment"[5] factored into Kubrick's decision for his next film – Stephen King's The Shining – a project that would not only please him artistically, but also be more likely to succeed financially. Still, several other critics, including Gene Siskel, praised the film's technical quality and strong narrative, and Siskel himself counted it as one of the five best films of the year."

Guess your definition of "universally panned" would be different from mine. Also, regular movie goers generally disliked the movie at least as much as film critics.
Sorry, but your original claim still strikes me as being quite silly. biggrin

OK, *one* critic really liked it so it is not quite universal but close enough. My point still stands, these critics were wrong about the movie and know #%&*$#.

#4435177 - 08/21/18 12:44 PM Re: Barry Lyndon [Re: rezerekted]  
Ssnake51 Offline
Ssnake51  Offline

California

OK, *one* critic really liked it so it is not quite universal but close enough. My point still stands, these critics were wrong about the movie and know #%&*$#.

Your point is silly. People aren't full of #%&*$# when they disagree about what movies they like.

De gustibus.

#4435182 - 08/21/18 01:18 PM Re: Barry Lyndon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake51 Offline
Ssnake51  Offline

California

In my opinion, the fundamental issue with the film is that both the setting and the subject matter were a bit too esoteric even for 1970's era movie theater audiences. That's why it was not a commercial success.

Also, it is a very slow movie. Considering how tastes for fast paced films have grown since the '70's, it would be a complete flop today.

#4435184 - 08/21/18 01:28 PM Re: Barry Lyndon [Re: Ssnake51]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Also, it is a very slow movie. Considering how tastes for fast paced films have grown since the '70's, it would be a complete flop today.

Absolutely. If "Barry Lyndon" were made today it would only be made by an independent art-house studio and at a very modest budget (ie under 10 million). Kubrick's film was both financed and distributed by a major mainstream studio and it had a large budget for its time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.