Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
#4432440 - 08/01/18 02:18 AM My Own Brand Of Crazy  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. of ...
I'm not planning to join in the Centennial threads, as the war is almost over. That said, now that I've learned from their rules things new to me, like Manual Pilot Creation and using Quick Combat for training, I've gone off the OCD deep end.

I found that the earliest I can start a new career is January 1915, and that all the QC mission I fly will be applied to that day. I then realized that I could use the QC to practice and write my own personal log to assign those missions an earlier date. I then wondered how far back I could take it.

Then I realized that, while the 100th anniversary will never return, the 104th is happening right now. RAF No 3 squadron was the first to cross over to France for the war, with several others only days behind. That was August 13. Since I wanted to have a fighter pilot and a two-seater pilot from each power running simultaneously, I figured why not do the research for the squadrons I wanted and find out where they were on August 1. Or July 30, which was yesterday, and the day I wanted to start this mess. So I created a French pilot. The earliest date I could find was August 12, so I created the pilot and flew a QC mission, choosing an airfield for my "training" base and practicing touch-and-goes in a Caudron G.IV. I'll continue this sort of thing until August 12, then move to the base they were actually at during that time. It's weird, but I'm starting a career at the very beginning of the war, and almost a year before the eindeckers made their first appearance.

But that's just me...

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4432441 - 08/01/18 02:33 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

And then something really awesome happened, all by itself:

It's not enough for me to just make up a pilot. I want real names, so I came up with a generator using dice and websites dedicated to names - British, French, German - first, last and middle, and to generate city names as well. And that's where it got weird.

My first pilot is French. I rolled a 14 for the first name, so it starts with 'N'. A further roll came up with 'Noel'. I rolled for a middle name, and he has one. Being French, he might have a few more, so I rolled for that. Nope, only one. The next roll was a 15, so it begins with 'O'. The only 'O' I could find on the list I had was 'Odil'. For the last name it came up 11, which is 'K'. The only French last names beginning with 'K' on the list I had were 'Kay' and 'Kirouac'. A further roll said his full name is Noel Odil Kay. Unusual, but there it is. Except it gets even weirder.

For the city I rolled an 9, which is 'I'. I could find exactly zero French cities beginning with 'I'. Well, except for "Irish Nantes". That's a nickname, and it came about apparently because Nantes was founded by Irish smugglers as a base from which to sneak things into England. And it turns out that 'Kay' is a Celtic name. One source says it's related to MacKay and McKay, but it's also the name of King Arthur's foster brother and Chamberlain, Sir Kay, or Sir Kai in the earlier versions.

So there you have it. Noel Kay's surname comes about because he's descended from the Irish smugglers who founded Nantes. And that's the weirdness. I didn't come up with that origin and then make up the names, I rolled up the names and the story is a logical explanation for something that actually had nothing to do with me at all. Like I said at the beginning, "all by itself".

Last edited by Sailor_Steve; 08/01/18 02:39 AM.

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4432466 - 08/01/18 12:09 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA
That is crazy, and interesting.

#4432485 - 08/01/18 02:53 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Sailor Steve,
That is as Barmy as it gets!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4432556 - 08/02/18 01:10 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Jammer28 Offline
Jammer28  Offline

Houston, Texas
Wow, that's going deep into immersion! I've been creative in coming up with names but not to that level! smile2

#4432675 - 08/03/18 01:52 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
I think either Deej or Lou might be warming up the cricket bat... This guy's "around the bend" Barmy!

Sailor Steve, welcome to the meat grinder! That is quite a great story you came up with there!

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4432697 - 08/03/18 08:05 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

02/08/1914 Caporal Noel Kay has been transferred from Breuil-le Sac to Camp de Chalons where Escadrille C13 is forming. It seems that the rising tensions between France and Germany over the declaration of war by Austria-Hungary on Serbia knows no end. Actual hostilities may not be far off.

Meanwhile, In England I've created a new pilot. Sergeant Corrigan Yegor "Corrie" Aujla, of Saanitch, British Columbia, Canada, has begun training with No 3 Squadron RFC at Netheravon. One of the fun things I just discovered on my own is that you can not only select the season in Quick Combat but also the airplane. This is good because the game has No 3 Squadron starting in January 1915 with Morane parasols, and that is when they first outfitted with that aircraft. Prior to that they were flying BE.2s. With QC I can actually change it so my British pilots are flying BE.2s for the first few months of the war.

I love this game.

Last edited by Sailor_Steve; 08/03/18 08:08 AM.

#4432906 - 08/04/18 03:05 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

03/08/1914

Noel Kay is busy flying orientation flights to learn the area of Chalons.

Corrie Aujla is also doing orientation flights around the middle of England.

A side note: My stepmother had been to France and loved the wine country, so she named her daughter for that region, with a spelling variation: Chelon..

Last edited by Sailor_Steve; 08/15/18 04:49 AM.

#4433078 - 08/05/18 03:47 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

04/08/1914

Escadrille C13 got word that late yesterday afternoon Germany declared war on France. Noel Kay and Caporal Alfred Esnault made a flight from Chalons to Nancy and back.

With No 3 Squadron in Netheravon, Corrie Aujla has been assigned a senior observer. He made his first flight with Captain Fabio Carlson aboard. His first opinion of his new aircraft commander is "He drinks too much." On the other hand he's starting to become friends with Welsh pilot Sergeant Robbie Reinard.

#4433217 - 08/06/18 02:04 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

05/08/14

In France, Noel Kay and Alfred Esnault make a flight from Chalons to Auve and back, with some sightseeing along the way.

In England they receive the news that at 2300 hours last night Britain declared war on Germany, due to that country's invasion of Belgium.

Corrie Aujla makes another very long flight with Captain Carlson. They head south to the Channel coast and when Aujla starts to turn back, Carlson begins waving at him from the front cockpit, signalling him to keep heading south. Following orders Augla travels out over the Channel until they are out of sight of land. Carlson then signals him to turn east. Aujla does so, but after a few minutes begins to worry about their fuel and turns back northward. Carlson signals him to turn eastward again, but Aufla ignores the Captain's frantic waving and returns to land. By this time a thick fog has set in and Aujla becomes disoriented and heads west rather than north. With the sun setting and fuel running low he finally sets the plane down in a field near the town of East Wittering. After berating Aujla for a time Carlson seems to realize that he might not want the attention punishing Aujla might bring to him. They finally find a house with a telephone and manage to get through to Netheravon, informing their commander of where they are and that they will find gas in the morning and head for home. The family invites them to sleep in their barn.

#4433375 - 08/07/18 04:08 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

6 August 1914:

In France, Noel Kay makes another flight, this time to Belrain and return. No news from Belgium.

In England Corrie Aufla and Capt Fabio Carlson are awakened at 0300 by the family with whom they have taken shelter for the night. Father and son take them in a horse-drawn wagon to a gasoline storage facility on the outskirts of East Wittering. The man there fills a tank on the back of a lorry and gives them a ride back to the farm, along with the father. The son follows with the wagon. When they explain that they will have to return with payment they are told that with the new war brewing this one is free. The plane is filled and at 0405 they take off in the dark. The sun rises while they are in flight and they land back at Netheravon in time for breakfast. Captain Carlson says nothing of their disagreement, so neither does Sergeant Aujla.

Last edited by Sailor_Steve; 08/07/18 04:09 AM.

#4433591 - 08/08/18 02:05 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

7 August 1914

In France Caporal Noel Kay suffers an engine failure three minutes after takeoff. On landing the plane hits a tree and is badly damaged. Caporal Esnault is unharmed, but Kay receives a severe gash to the forehead and is taken to the town hospital.

At Netheravon in England Sgt Corrie Aujla and Capt Fabio Carlson make an extended flight northeast to Oxford, south to Portsmouth then northwest back to Netheravon. Total flight time is 3 hours 1 minute.

#4433673 - 08/09/18 05:48 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

8 August 1914

In France Noel Kay sits in a small cottage hospital in Chalons while Escadrille C 13 moves to their new field at Verdun.

In England Corrie Augla continues his training with 3 Sqdn. Today is a flight from Netheravon to Woking and back.

#4433694 - 08/09/18 12:22 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA
Good reading with a cup of coffee in the morning!

#4433805 - 08/10/18 05:22 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

Thanks! I have extended logs in the form of diaries for both, but I think a quick summary is less boring.

9 August 1914

Chalons: Noel Kay is informed by the doctor that he could probably leave now, but they want to keep him under observation for a couple more days.

Netheravon: 3 Squadron is informed that British troops are organizing for the cross-channel trip to France, and they will be following soon after. Corrie Aujla's flight takes him and Capt Carlson far to the northeast and back. Aujla now has passed the 20-hour mark in the BE.2. The weather continues overcast as it has been for the past couple of weeks.

#4433918 - 08/11/18 05:56 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

10 August 1914

Chalons: Noel Kay is now being told that he can probably leave for Verdun in a couple of days, but won't be cleared to fly for another week. Meanwhile news has come through that French forces have attacked the Germans near Mulhouse, in Alsace. This is the first fighting by our troops.

Netheravon: Sgt Corrie Aujla and Capt Fabio Carlson flew eastward today, to Guilford, then northeast to London. From there they followed the Thames, heading back up-river to Esher in the southwest, then northwest to Woking. From there it was west by southwest back to Netheravon. Flight time was 2 hours 39 minutes.

#4433989 - 08/12/18 04:17 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

11 August 1914

Chalons: Noel Kay writes "Still sitting out in the warm afternoon sun. I could grow used to this. News came that yesterday the Germans captured Liège in Belgium, and have re-taken Mulhouse."

Netheravon: No flying today. No 3 Squadron is moving to Swingate Down tomorrow and every man is busy organizing and packing for the equipment to be moved directly to Dover.

#4434067 - 08/13/18 06:50 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

12 August 1914

Chalons:
Noel Kay writes: Today we received news that France and Britain declared war on Austria-Hungary yesterday.
0930 A car came to take me to our airfield at Verdun. We arrived at 1237. Three and a half hours! I could have flown there in one hour. Anyway, the boys were all happy to see me.

Swingate Down:
Corrigan Aujla writes:
0748: Squadron took off for Dover via Brighton. At 0916 my friend Robbie Reinard suffered an engine failure and landed just east of Brighton. Lt Salmond had us land nearby. After examining the situation he had us take off for Eastbourne at 0927. From there the Lt took off with a mechanic. at 1354 he returned with Robbie's BE. in tow. At 1420 the Squadron took off for Dover. at 1520 we landed at Swingate Down and were assigned quarters for the night.
Time in aircraft: 26.13 hours. Total flight time: 26.13 hours.

Last edited by Sailor_Steve; 08/14/18 05:33 AM.

#4434158 - 08/14/18 05:36 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

13 August 1914

Verdun:
Noel Kay writes:
Yesterday Belgian troops defeated the Germans at Haelen. The Austro-Hungarians have started their invasion of Serbia.
0947: First flight in almost a week. Flew around the Verdun area, learning what is where. 33 minutes.

Amiens:
Corrigan Aujla writes:
At 0625 No 2 Squadron took off for Amiens. We are to follow shortly.
0815: Squadron took off from Swingate Down for Calais and then to Amiens. We have some concerns about Robbie's engine, but the local mechanics assure us it is in good working order.
08:52 Crossed French coast west of Calais. Headed west.
0900: Turned south, following coast.
0925: Turned inland, following the Somme River.
1002: Having skirted the forest around Abbeville, we turned south towars Amiens.
1020: Landed at Amiens. There we met the boys from No 2 Sqdn, and they had a good story to tell. It seems their commander, Major Burke, had them travel around the forest as we did, just to ensure a place to land in case of engine trouble. One of his pilots, Lt Harvey-Kelly, positioned himself at the rear, broke off and flew straight across the forest. When the group landed at Amiens they found Harvey-Kelly's BE already there, making himself the first British pilot to land in France for the war!

Last edited by Sailor_Steve; 08/14/18 05:40 AM.

#4434280 - 08/15/18 04:41 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

Started another new pilot. No 3 Squadron is destined to be a fighter unit, and I wanted another one that would remain in two-seaters.

14 August 1914

Verdun:
Noel Kay is still busy learning the area. Meanwhile news has come through that yesterday the Austro-Hungarians began their invasion of Serbia.

Amiens:
Corrigan Aujla and his observer Captain Fabio Carlson are spending time flying around Amiens, getting to know the area and their comrades from No 2 Squadron.

Eastchurch, England:
Sergeant Ries Meismer has begun training with No 4 Squadron at Eastchurch. Today was a 45-minute flight up to London, eastward down the Thames then south back to Eastchurch. It's a quiet little town right on the coast.

Last edited by Sailor_Steve; 08/15/18 04:51 AM.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM