Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4432411 - 07/31/18 06:07 PM Cougar MFD/Awacs command help needed  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

In Falcon setup/ controllers/key file, I can assign a MFD button to 'q' for Awacs. Testing in the jet, that will open up the first Awacs page and allow me to choose a keyboard number option, but if I want the second
Awacs page , and press the MFD button again the Awacs page will close. Using 'q' on the keyboard works fine like it should, allowing me to press a second time (without closing) for the next Awacs page.

Been working on this for a few days, even hosed the stick (temporarily) thumbsup in my efforts.
I tried Foxy, with a slash modifier for 'hold'. But understandably the cougar doesn't like my attempt to use 'BTN 155'. (and that's not even what crashed it) sigh
The trick seems to be, how can you assign a button (for me 155) (which is seen as a key in Falcon/setup/key files) to another key, in this case the key is keyboard 'q'.

Or how do you insert a 'hold' modifier into my falcon key file itself, to keep Awacs window open. I don't think that's going to happen anyhow.

I am not aware of any text file to edit, other than opening up the key file itself. Here is the relevant addition to the key file after assigning a MFD button to falcon's keyfile 'q', which is mapped as 'Radio-Awacs' :

RadioAWACSCommand 154 8 -2 0 0x0 -1

For some strange reason, Falcon labels my 155 button 154 in the .key text, but in Facon/controllers it shows as 155, and is 155 per the Cougar MFD arrangement. I don't see this as an issue because the button works other than not staying open to access
subsequent command windows. Please feel free to disagree. I only mention it because you may wonder why the discrepancy.

Subsequently, I will need to also be able to assign MFD buttons to the keyboard numbers to enable not only bringing up Awacs via the Cougar MFD, but also utilize a Cougar MFD button for the specific Awacs command keyboard number.
I would think that solving the awacs window closing issue may solve assigning keyboard numbers to the Cougar MFD buttons as well.
Has anybody figured this out? By the way, I do use an old...old ...old falcon keyfile. I don't think that should stop me though?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4432423 - 07/31/18 10:02 PM Re: Cougar MFD/Awacs command help needed [Re: -Axe-]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
Axe,

It's time to switch to the 4.33 keyfiles, you stubborn old ox! neaner

I am pretty sure you told me once before that you were using a keyfile from 4.32. If I am wrong about that, then disregard the above statement, but I am pretty sure that you will find the new keyfiles are much better suited for what you are trying to do.

Good luck!

[Linked Image]
#4432429 - 07/31/18 11:29 PM Re: Cougar MFD/Awacs command help needed [Re: -Axe-]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

Well................. biggrin

Sometimes this stuff does get me right in the ole Direct X. wounded

You are wrong about me using 4.32, but RIGHT about stubborn..........(more than you may realize, maybe)........... (probably more like, highly likely that you do realize sigh )

I'm using SuperPak4.

In my defense I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I did get up to windows 7 not too long ago. rock and roll.

copter

I guess it may be too late for me..............

But THANK YOU for the good luck bro!!!! LOL

#4432434 - 08/01/18 01:25 AM Re: Cougar MFD/Awacs command help needed [Re: -Axe-]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
Originally Posted by -Axe-
I'm using SuperPak4.

banghead

Okay, yeah...ummm I'm not gonna be much help here, LOL.

I think that goes a ways back and not sure how you're even getting that to work. But since you have it working to some degree, I would say you know what you're doing and will figure it out eventually.

Glad to hear you are flying again. I've been piling up hours with the new squadron, doing all that radio stuff and tac turns etc. Nice to be flying on a regular basis. Hard to stay current in this jet unless you are flying it all the time!

Cheers! beercheers

[Linked Image]
#4432468 - 08/01/18 12:45 PM Re: Cougar MFD/Awacs command help needed [Re: -Axe-]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

cheers : We'll fly together again in the future, of that I have no doubt.
Sounds like you are tweaking some real nice skills. Boy there is so much out there for a fella.

Here's where I'm at:
Having access to the first page of Awacs and Tower on MFD's last night while doing a simple multiplayer session was as really as nice as I thought it would be.
Am still trying to figure a way around the limitation though. If I cant' get it to fully work, I'll just forget it though.
Looking at all the HOTAS keys included by BMS, all have hard locked AWACS, Tower , Wing, Element, Flight, Tanker. Every key is locked in that regard.
I loaded each key file, but could not tie a single mfd button to any of them. There's more to them than I know though. A lot more.
Jagstangs SP4 will let me, I just have to find a place to add it to my cougar file, so it will show up in falcon/controllers, so I can then associate it to a mfd button.
I have it started, but crashed my cougar experimenting with the tmm and tmj files trying to get more.

We are looking at a week of rainy weather, so I'll spend more time on it. You know, I've never heard of anyone doing this, putting the commands on MFD's.
Maybe because it can't be done. nope

#4432500 - 08/01/18 03:54 PM Re: Cougar MFD/Awacs command help needed [Re: -Axe-]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
I have the unused rocker switches (on my MFD's) mapped to Autopilot controls, HMCS, cockpit lighting and HUD controls.

For me, the radio commands are easy enough to find that I would rather use these buttons for things I would normally have to mouse over and click in the pit. Just makes it speedier.

YMMV! biggrin

[Linked Image]
#4432601 - 08/02/18 02:00 PM Re: Cougar MFD/Awacs command help needed [Re: -Axe-]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

schnidrman, your method makes great sense to me. Having to look at the mouse to perhaps get a hand on it, and then navigating the cursor where you want it, and getting a click, is definitely issue number one to be fixed.

That can be a real situational awareness killer. If you use the mouse for autopilot and didn't notice that while you were working the mouse that you went nose down a bit, then the autopilot could be off a bit. And you have to do it again to get it right.
And there are worse consequences than that while using a mouse I can think of.

Try using the mouse for target separate on the RWR, Now that sucks, and I have that on my Cougar MFDs for sure. Because I have to separate.....separate...separate... as I monitor the target status. Don't want to do that with friggin mouse.
I have to look at other stuff out the hud when doing that, not a durn mouse cursor. My peripheral vision will allow me to click a MFD button (tgt-sep) and look through the hud at same time. I can't do it with the moving mouse cursor though.

Likely, I'll wind up doing it like you do, which it may sound like I already do, but I wasn't thinking so much about the awacs etc commands being stationary targets for my fingers on the keyboard. Obvious gets missed sometimes.
I still want it on the MFD if I can get it though, if not, not such a big deal if prioritizing like you do.

I put in a support ticket to Thrustmaster just now. These MFD's have ROM, so why isn't there a utility where you can assign any keyboard command to a button from outside the sim and it be saved in ROM?

as always, I appreciate your feedback. regards. thumbsup

ps: thank goodness for the built-in spell checker, I'm getting to where I can't spell anything. duh

#4433038 - 08/04/18 10:47 PM Re: Cougar MFD/Awacs command help needed [Re: -Axe-]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

schnidrman

Got it working. thumbsup

#4433193 - 08/05/18 11:41 PM Re: Cougar MFD/Awacs command help needed [Re: -Axe-]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
Sweet!

crew

[Linked Image]
#4433243 - 08/06/18 10:28 AM Re: Cougar MFD/Awacs command help needed [Re: -Axe-]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

In my effort to conclude this topic in a brief manner, I neglected to credit you for providing the path to the solution of my problem. Now, I want to make it known that your comments not only made a difference, but made THE difference.
I was slow to understand, but never did I discount or forget your advice. And so in not forgetting, I revisited your suggestion, analytically. I then saw what I needed from that process. To be concise, the solution was found in the BMS keyfiles.
Just as you said. Thank you!!!

Thrustmaster did reach out to me very quickly, on both of my contacts with them.
They provided workable solutions, but not something I wanted to do. It was just too complicated for me to take on. But I have to say they do have a solution.
It's just one I'm not able to take on. They do have skin in the game if anyone is interested about that. I have had a long (26 year) relationship with them and it has been great.

But I liked schindrman's solution best. charge For me, it was the only way I could make it work. And it did.

Credit where credit is due.

#4433261 - 08/06/18 01:08 PM Re: Cougar MFD/Awacs command help needed [Re: -Axe-]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
Ultimately, the credit goes to the BMS team, I just showed you where to look. salute

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.