Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3733126 - 02/09/13 05:28 PM 1942 Pacific Air War Gold working and with perfect sound  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
I am just noting this here in case it is of interest to anyone

i have tried to explain it a bit on how i got this game now going - at first it seemed impossible as a combine dos/win3.1 game but persistance has paid off

perhaps i am the last to figure this out but i am pleased finally that i could

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?p=293317#293317

cheers

Last edited by Agathosdaimon; 02/09/13 05:28 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3750798 - 03/14/13 02:27 PM Re: 1942 Pacific Air War Gold working and with perfect sound [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Ziggy Sawdust Offline
Ziggy Sawdust  Offline

Thanks for the info! Well I managed to install my old boxed copy of PAW Gold CD on Win XP x32 (dual boot) without a 3.1 install (PAW Gold was Win95), and then subsequently play it on my usual gaming enviro (Win7x64) under DosBox. Music and sound work fine but not digital speech and fx but I can live with that. I used to love the game and those gorgeous dynamic campaigns...

What isn't so good of course though are the graphics... I'm thinking that the game used to look much better than I remember it because I was flying it on an old 17" CRT monitor that naturally smoothed the jagged edges out? On my big 1920x1080 flatscreen it just looks so lo-res blocky it's almost impossible to make out the identities of the planes and ships unless I'm right on top of them...

or are you somehow running the game using a non-standard forced glide 3dfx mode? That would be awesome if you were... because as much as I'd love to play the game again, it's just too much hard work on my eyes and get eyestrain trying to discern the mess of blocky jaggies and square pixels. It's so bad it reminded me of Minecraft! Great game for its time though... I might try and stick with it again if I could somehow increase the cockpit resolution for it to be somewhat playable...

#4036726 - 11/16/14 05:51 PM Re: 1942 Pacific Air War Gold working and with perfect sound [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

Hi Agathosdaimon,

I have 1942 PAW Gold edition but it's the disc version & it says "Win 3.1 or later"

I assume it'll run on Windows 95 IF I find a copy.

Can you help me understand how to install this?

This is my current understanding:

1. Buy Windows 95 (somewhere)

2. Mount Win 95

3. Run dosbox

4. Done!

Please let me know,
Stefos

#4036748 - 11/16/14 07:00 PM Re: 1942 Pacific Air War Gold working and with perfect sound [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I thought it just ran in DosBox?

*edit*

According to this it does http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=2069&letter=1

I'm sure I played it in DosBox some years ago,I may be mistaken of course.

Last edited by Chucky; 11/16/14 07:02 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4037151 - 11/17/14 06:41 PM Re: 1942 Pacific Air War Gold working and with perfect sound [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
ataribaby Offline
ataribaby  Offline

Liberec, Czech Republic
Only original game has sound ok in dosbox. As soon you update to 1.4 and up you will get disorted digital sound. Just get base game and do not install 1.4 - 1.5 or scenario add-on and sound will be ok. Even digital sound driver update for 1.5 from MPS doesn't help. On Vogons someone had success to install Win 3.11 into dosbox and then PAW GOLD. I don't have inner force to try this way so I play base game (you will have only US or Japan carrier based stuff there) and I am happy. Even do not want scenario or 1.4 up patch as it makes spins unrecoverable, at least for me.

I was so surprised how good PAW still is. Great virtual cockpit and task forces on sea. Real gem from MPS.

Also do not set cycles higher than 30000 or you will get slowdowns on fading screens and when it glare if you fly to the sun so it renders game unplayable.

Currently flying for Japanese Zero and got one kill in three missions. Carrier landings are especialy hard.

I remember Pacific Strike from orignin had big LSO guy sprite signaling on carrier deck. Here you are on your own.

Last edited by ataribaby; 11/17/14 06:43 PM.
#4431993 - 07/27/18 03:38 PM Re: 1942 Pacific Air War Gold working and with perfect sound [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Moose1am Offline
Moose1am  Offline

SW Indiana
What type of computer are you running to play PAW ? You mentioned using Dosbox so I must assume that it's a modern computer and not an older DOS PC to run PAW 1942.

PAW 1942 was one of the best games for the time that featured flight sims and strategy games combined. It was way ahead of its time.

The reason I asked is that I'm still running this PAW 1942 ver 1.4 game on an old 1991 Legend 520SX-20 by Packard Bell PC that's running DOS 5 and Windows 3.1. I may have updated to DOS 6.2 but can't remember how to check which version of DOS I'm running on the Packard Bell PC.

The trick to getting the game running is to load DOS into himem and get the 580 ram you need for the game to run. Some other devices need to be loaded into himem IIRC. And if you have to load a driver for the CD it's very hard to get the 580 mem needed for the game to run. There is only so much high memory to use. I had to load the mouse.com file in himem too. But the thing is you have to give the game at least 580KB of ram use.

In these old DOS games, the hard part is setting up the sound card and the autoexec.bat and config.sys files properly. And on my Packard Bell Legend 386SX-20 PC that's not easy to do. Back in 1994, I spent many long hours trying to figure out how to get this game to load and run on my PB computer and then again on an HP computer running Windows 95/98. I had more trouble getting the PAW 1942 game to run on the HP computer which was running Windows 95.. Windows95 still had some DOS and even after reading the book, Windows95 Secrets, and trying to read up on how to manipulate the memory in dos it was still difficult to get this game to run and get the sound to work. I was unsure on how to set up the sound card, Soundblaster Live, in my HP computer. I think that the PB computer had and still has the Soundblaster 16 sound card in it's ASA slot. But I've switched these sound cards around so much that I can't remember which one is which. I have the PB computer at my parent's house and use it when I visit my mom. The HP computer is taken down and sitting on the floor gathering dust. I never tried to load PAW onto my Dell PC which runs's Windows XP still. And then I have an Asus desktop running windows 10. Another notebook Asus gaming computer which I use to play modern flight sims online and I have that one at my parent's house right now. And then I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 notebook computer to write this post from my parent's house. These days I mostly use the Two Asus Computers. I have read that these old dos games can be run on the more modern computers running Windows 7,8 and10 using DOSBOX. But I have no idea how to get them set up to run on DOSBOX. That's the main reason that I kept the older PB and HP computers in order to play some of my old DOS games.

Last edited by Moose1am; 07/27/18 03:40 PM.

Regards,

Moose1am
#4481004 - 07/02/19 12:53 PM Re: 1942 Pacific Air War Gold working and with perfect sound [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
sorry i hav ebeen away for so long
hmm i cant remember what i had done to get PAW working the way i wanted it, but i see now it is in steam to buy, actually i think i have it in my steam library already! i havent tested it there yet, i hope it works well through steam now

#4481760 - 07/06/19 12:11 PM Re: 1942 Pacific Air War Gold working and with perfect sound [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
actually i am having probs witht esteam game now - i got it as i thought i may be easier and better performing but i have still had to tweak it using some of hte forum advice there, but also the steam version seems to lack gun and explosion sounds, other sounds and music are there after one tweaks it accordingly

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.