Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4420809 - 05/14/18 09:42 PM VR in Cliffs of Dover?  
MK2 Offline
MK2  Offline

US
After playing battle of Stalingrad/Moscow/Kuban in VR there is no going back ever.

Are there any plans for Cliffs of Dover to be done in VR?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4420852 - 05/15/18 05:01 AM Re: VR in Cliffs of Dover? [Re: MK2]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
What they say is that maybe after 5.0 DLC Tobruk.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topi...pport/?do=findComment&comment=590190

Seems that some cockpits has fake 3D parts and need be re-done.

#4421179 - 05/17/18 11:56 AM Re: VR in Cliffs of Dover? [Re: MK2]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Didn't Buzzsaw say that the 2D parts are not the reason and that there are only a few items in some planes in 2D.
I think, they think there isn't a massive audience for VR at the moment and working on Tobruk is the priority

#4421243 - 05/17/18 06:25 PM Re: VR in Cliffs of Dover? [Re: MK2]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
VR audience - for Clod, is indeed small, so no reason for prioritize this about dozen and dozen of things that need fix. E.g. AI behavior, commands.

And what reason for make a broken/half-done VR version (like is most of CloD features), players will use this "15 minutes" and shelve, like most did with CloD at release and Blitz.

Pay attention in CloD cockpits and you notice that fake 3D parts is not "so few". Just VR will not sell more CloD, but make then a really good game first may sell.

#4421663 - 05/19/18 10:43 PM Re: VR in Cliffs of Dover? [Re: MK2]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Originally Posted by MK2
After playing battle of Stalingrad/Moscow/Kuban in VR there is no going back ever.

Are there any plans for Cliffs of Dover to be done in VR?

I haven't even tried Blitz yet because of this very reason. Flying in VR is incredible and it feels like a step backward to even think about playing with a TrackIR again.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
#4426947 - 06/21/18 03:17 AM Re: VR in Cliffs of Dover? [Re: MK2]  
Ricob Offline
Ricob  Offline

I also only fly VR sims now. I will gladly try Cliffs of Dover once it makes the move to VR.

#4426988 - 06/21/18 02:13 PM Re: VR in Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Sokol1]  
Frogyy2 Offline
Frogyy2  Offline

If, 30 years ago when I first had a pc built to fly Chuck Yeager’s flight simulator, you had asked me how a flight simulator wants to be flown, I would have answered: “from the cockpit”. Of course I had no concept of VR back then, but now the reality is here. If anyone plans to market a WW1/2 combat flight sim in 2020, it needs to support VR. I hold out little hope that TFS will EVER “make then a really good game” from CLoD. My interest has always been in seeing a worthy successor to Rowan’s BoB, not Tobruk. 1CGS/BoX team gained some good will by releasing source code to TF. For that reason I feel some obligation to support TFS. I know however that I have little interest in buying the Tobruk version if it lacks VR support. What price am I willing to pay for a 2020 WWII CFS that lacks VR SUPPORT? I think it extremely short-sighted to view VR as a fad. VR is how flight sims want to be flown.
I accept that CloD/Tobruk will still be a “broken” product upon release whether or not it supports VR. If TFS could provide a praiseworthy implementation of VR however I would gladly pay $80.00. Without VR what is the game worth to me? Why not just keep CloD 4.53?
I have no doubt that Sokol1 is correct in saying that CloD graphics are too archaic to support VR. I just would really prefer that TFS/1CGS/BoX team give a definitive statement to that effect so as to end all discussion of the matter.
Some may believe that the VR community is too small to matter. I believe that the number of VR capable pc’s will grow over time. That is where you will find a market hungry for content and that is where WWII flight sims have their best “fit”.

#4427165 - 06/22/18 01:40 PM Re: VR in Cliffs of Dover? [Re: MK2]  
BigC208 Offline
BigC208  Offline

Charlotte NC USA
The market for VR Combat Flight sims might be small but it’s only a matter of time and VR will be as standard as Track IR and a HOTAS setup. Once you fly VR you’ll be a believer and there’s no going back. Even with the low resolution and uncomfortable mask. No VR will mean no buy at a premium price for me.

5930k@4.5ghz, 32gb ram, gtx1080ti, Samsung 55 inch 4k, Warthog Hotas, MFG Crosswind, VKB Black Mamba, VKB Gunfighter MCE Ultimate, Reverb G2.
#4429476 - 07/08/18 10:52 PM Re: VR in Cliffs of Dover? [Re: MK2]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet

#4429794 - 07/10/18 09:49 PM Re: VR in Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Sokol1]  
Frogyy2 Offline
Frogyy2  Offline

Since there is no stated release date for 5.0 how would anyone know if the development manager were to hold back release until VR implementation has been completed? The suggestion is that VR can be implemented with a patch. Would that patch need two months or two years to complete? How many years now has 5.0 been promised? 5.0 should include VR support from the outset. The number of flight simmers moving to VR is likely to represent a growing component of the potential customer base. Non-VR flight sims are obsolete NOW. How much more obsolete will 5.0 appear if introduced in 2019/2020 sans VR support?

#4429834 - 07/11/18 05:35 AM Re: VR in Cliffs of Dover? [Re: MK2]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I'm in the same boat. For me it's VR or a pass - I barely have the time to fly as much as I'd like in VR, so if given the choice between VR and non VR, the non VR sim is sure to be a pass. CLOD is a great sim, it would certainly be one of my main sims if it was implemented in VR. Same thing happened with ROF and WOFF - in the age of monitors, I would have favoured WOFF, but now that FC will have VR, I clearly will move to that and WOFF will gather dust.

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 07/11/18 05:37 AM.
#4430519 - 07/16/18 05:30 AM Re: VR in Cliffs of Dover? [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
MK2 Offline
MK2  Offline

US
I think there are a lot more VR users than people think .

#4430626 - 07/16/18 09:42 PM Re: VR in Cliffs of Dover? [Re: MK2]  
Frogyy2 Offline
Frogyy2  Offline

I suspect that there are more flight simmers using VR than some individuals would like to believe. There are individuals with very expensive flight sim setups that were not designed with VR in mind. There are others who would need major hardware upgrades in order to make VR a viable selection choice. There are some for whom online stats are the only things that count. A standard rationale is the assertion VR hmd’s are currently incapable of providing the image resolution they require. They say that maybe by 3rd generation the image quality will suit their needs. Flight simmers not included in those groups are very likely to migrate to VR in coming months and years. Once they do they will never again be satisfied with a monitor and TrackiR. A transition of customer base to VR may happen very quickly. If TFS is serious about providing VR support for CloD 5.0 they should give clear explanation of what work that support will entail. Sokol1 might be accurate in suggesting that existing CloD cockpits would require major upgrades to support VR, maybe a bridge too far. The less detailed TFS’ accounting of items currently preventing VR support the more I fear a basic CloD VR incompatibility that the team is not wanting to acknowledge.

#4430871 - 07/18/18 05:48 AM Re: VR in Cliffs of Dover? [Re: MK2]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

I remember hearing the announcements that TF 5.0 would have Oculus support many years ago, and I was seriously looking forward to that, being one of those Rift early adopters specifically for cockpit sim use (though room-scale with Touch is pretty cool, too).

The challenging thing about VR isn't just that it requires everything to look correct in a stereoscopic 3D view - something that 3D glasses users learned was downright difficult to retrofit in a lot of existing games already, due to rendering cheats done with the assumption of a flat 2D display and HUD elements being virtually inches from your eyeballs instead of at a more comfortable depth. Sounds like CloD already does this quite a bit in its cockpits, and I'd hope that none of that affects the gunsight focusing, too.

It's that you also have to do this with full 6DoF head-tracking in mind that MUST be maintained at all times, with menus also usable in VR (which is probably why we won't be seeing stuff like Falcon BMS make that jump any time soon), and any non-cockpit UI elements not too close to the edges of the eye buffers, where you can't see them in the actual HMD (the periphery of those raw-captured eye buffers is largely wasted). There's a lot of UI aspects that go into making VR work properly that make it far more difficult than just bolting on TrackIR-style 6DoF camera movement.

Unfortunately, this has outright spoiled me for older sims. I can't even really touch IL-2:1946, CloD, Falcon BMS or Rise of Flight anymore because they lack that VR support. Would you rather look at a painting of a cockpit framed in front of you, or actually have your head IN the cockpit? That's the difference VR makes, even with current resolution limitations.

However, if Team Fusion can pull it off, let's just say they'll be making a lot of new sales. If anything, the low resolution of today's HMDs is better suited for close-in dogfighting than more modern aircraft with an emphasis on MFDs, gauges and BVR out the wazoo.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.