Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4429333 - 07/07/18 11:47 PM AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

AV-8B N/A (N/A means 'Night Attack', not 'Not Available', which would suit also very well)

Key Features of DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL by RAZBAM include:

Advanced Flight Model that provides realistic performance and flight characteristics of a Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft
Highly detailed external 3D model and textures with animations (Excuse me, isn't that mandatory for any aircraft model in DCS, that hardly can be called a feature)
Highly detailed and accurate 6 DOF cockpit with high resolution textures, specular and bump mapping, and mouse-interactive controls (High resolution isn't a standard, so it makes this sentence meaningless...also specular and bump mapping is a DCS feature, not this plane's developers feature)
Highly realistic modelling of the aircraft systems including electrical, fuel, hydraulics, lighting, engine and navigation that includes:
Digital Engine Control System (DECS) (This says nothing, but apparently they included it because it has a word 'digital')
Automatic Fuel System (Which plane doesn't have it? All planes have automatic fuel system)
Air Refueling System (Ok - that is a feature)
Electrical Power System (a switch - most planes have those...)
External Lighting (Really?)
Internal Lighting (I mean really?)
Hydraulic Power Supply System (Yea whatever, a feature they say?)
Flight Control System (FCS) (Not many plane could fly without a flight control system, a feature? sure, yea)
Head-Up Display (HUD) (This is a feature? Ok fine, then flightstick, clock are too)
Up-front Control (UFC) (So all other panels are features as well, why don't they list them? No space for extra lines eh?)
Option Display Unit (ODU) (Another meaningless sentence)
Multipurpose Color Displays (MPCD) (Yea! They did it!)
VREST Computer (for jet-borne flight) (Oh, that too..)
Air Data Computer (ADC) (..and that)
Environmental Control System (ECS) (Couple of switches which do nothing)
On-Board Oxygen Generating System (OBOGS) (Read: Switch)
Realistic weapons, sensor, and defensive systems include:
Air-to-Air and Air-to-Ground GAU-12 Equalizer 25 mm (0.984 in) 5-barreled Rotary cannon pod
6 under-wing pylon stations holding up to 9,200 lb (4,200 kg) of payload which include:
AIM-9 Sidewinder
or similar-sized infrared-guided missiles (Similar sized infrared-guided missiles?! Awesome! Sidegrinder? R-73?)
AGM-65 Maverick Air-to-Surface missiles
Mark 80 series of unguided bombs (including 3 kg [6.6 lb] and 14 kg [31 lb] practice bombs)
Paveway series of Laser-Guided Bombs (LGBs)

Joint Direct Attack Munitions (GBU-38, GBU-32, and GBU-54) (Are they invincible, I don't see them)
Mark 20 Cluster Bomb Units (CBUs)
AN/AAQ-28V LITENING targeting pod
ALQ-164 ECM Pod

Several skins (Not exactly, try again)
Detailed Operational Manual and Pocket guide (You don't get detailed Operational Manual, this is a blatant lie)
Instant Action, Single, and Training Missions
Detailed representation of the USS Tarawa (LHA-1), lead ship of her class.

SO... no BS feature feature list is:

Advanced Flight Model that provides almost realistic performance and flight characteristics of a Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft
Highly detailed and accurate 6 DOF cockpit and mouse-interactive controls
Not so highly realistic modelling of the aircraft systems including electrical, fuel, hydraulics, lighting, engine and navigation that include(-s):
Air Refueling System
Multipurpose Color Displays (MPCD)
A lot of switches, some do something, some not
Almost realistic weapons, sensor, and defensive systems include:
Air-to-Air and Air-to-Ground GAU-12 Equalizer 25 mm (0.984 in) 5-barreled Rotary cannon pod
6 under-wing pylon stations holding up to 9,200 lb (4,200 kg) of payload which include:
AIM-9 Sidewinder (similar-sized infrared-guided missiles perhaps maybe possibly will be implemented once USA has developed them)
AGM-65 Maverick Air-to-Surface missiles
Mark 80 series of unguided bombs (including 3 kg [6.6 lb] and 14 kg [31 lb] practice bombs)
Paveway series of Laser-Guided Bombs (LGBs)
Joint Direct Attack Munitions, GBU-38, GBU-32, and GBU-54 (Maybe will be included later in module)
Mark 20 Cluster Bomb Units (CBUs)
AN/AAQ-28V LITENING targeting pod
ALQ-164 ECM Pod
Several copy-pasted skins with different squadron markings
Pocket guide (Proper manual maybe later, much later..)
Instant Action, Single, and Training Missions
Detailed representation of the USS Tarawa (LHA-1), lead ship of her class.

All this for less than 70€ !!! Get yours now, only 69,99€
kneeldown

Last edited by IceecI; 07/08/18 02:17 AM.

Give a man fish and he gets food, give a man a fishing rod and he asks for another one.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4429341 - 07/08/18 12:49 AM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: IceecI]  
SUBS_17 Offline
SUBS_17  Offline

The AV8B is fun to fly and use in DCS.

"Trust me I know what I'm doing" Detective Sledge Hammer
#4429347 - 07/08/18 01:26 AM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: IceecI]  
BigDuke6 Offline
BigDuke6  Offline

Not to nitpick your post, but the Mk 20 CBU is in there. Those are Rockeyes, and you can use them now. The JDAMs are not in yet and I am looking forward to that. I think they are the only major weapon system that is not available yet, unless I'm mistaken. I dont know if the similar sized infrared missiles is referring to the AIM9X that ED is making, if so that would be sweet.

The Harrier still has a long way to go systems wise, the INS is getting some work at the moment, the RWR is also buggy with sounds and what not. Also the DMT camera will at some point slave to the sidewinder lock for target identification, which will be pretty cool. The TGP is slightly buggy, I dont think the LSS or SLAVE modes work yet.

The Tarawa just got a texture upgrade, which looks great, and about to get some night lights upgraded.

Also the KC-135 with a DBA still doesnt work properly as far as I know.

Tarawa and KC-135 are free for everyone I believe.

Does it justify the $70? Thats up to you. Worth $35 like it was on sale the last two weeks, I think so.

#4429357 - 07/08/18 02:19 AM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: BigDuke6]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

Originally Posted by BigDuke6
Not to nitpick your post, but the Mk 20 CBU is in there. Those are Rockeyes, and you can use them now.

That's not nitpicking, that's an error of mine, sorry about that.

Give a man fish and he gets food, give a man a fishing rod and he asks for another one.
#4429358 - 07/08/18 02:28 AM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: IceecI]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

It's just when a developer hasn't really much to add to the list, sure it's ok to be positive and say "look hey this is good plane", but when it goes to misleading and blatant lying, that's where they cross the line. You can see those red marked lines taken out of thin air just to make the features look more than there really is. Also it is mislead that when you buy it, you get the features mentioned, that's where they're lying, oh... last I checked that's illegal in most of the countries, maybe not in ED land, well apparently not... as long as they get their money.

Ridiculous.

#4429387 - 07/08/18 01:13 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: IceecI]  
BrettT Offline
BrettT  Offline

Louisiana
In fairness it is "Early Access" and that is part of the risk of getting something early access. All features may not be implemented up front and it may take time to have them implemented. Yes it can be frustrating. As the consumer you always have the opportunity to wait until it is a released version and make a more informed decision or accept the risk and jump at the early access. The plus side is they pretty much have a set of new features/bug squashed in each new update...so at least it hasn't been abandoned and is steadily being worked on

#4429403 - 07/08/18 03:59 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: BrettT]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

Originally Posted by BrettT
In fairness it is "Early Access" and that is part of the risk of getting something early access. All features may not be implemented up front and it may take time to have them implemented. Yes it can be frustrating. As the consumer you always have the opportunity to wait until it is a released version and make a more informed decision or accept the risk and jump at the early access. The plus side is they pretty much have a set of new features/bug squashed in each new update...so at least it hasn't been abandoned and is steadily being worked on

Can you also tell me where it says it's early access?

#4429418 - 07/08/18 04:35 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: IceecI]  
Tirak Offline
Tirak  Offline

Originally Posted by IceecI

Right underneath the big bold letters that say DCS: AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL by RAZBAM on the Store Page, and then when you click on the More Information button it also says it before any of the other fluff text. And then if you put it in your shopping cart it still says Early Access underneath the title of the module...

EDIT: Also, because this was pretty lazily done mate, I've got a bit of a bone to pick with your commentary in your first post. Under the section where they're listing what systems they are modeling, you try to take a couple of snarky potshots by saying that these are just natural features of the aircraft and not worth discussing. The thing of course being that they're not presenting them as features for you to actively control, but rather as demonstrating that they are accuratly modeling the system onboard the aircraft. An accurately modeled engine control system will allow you to realistically experience how the engine functions during stages of flight, same goes for the fuel system, and the electrical system ect. ad nauseum. You know that, and it's pretty disingenuous of you to try and make out like it's marketing gobblygook when you know for a fact that level of simulation is not the norm in Flight Sims, and that it can have a serious impact on the way you experience the module.

DCS has a lot wrong with it, from the way that the new update created a #%&*$# ton of performance problems to the predatory marketing system of endless early access and the poor way in which the moderators conduct themselves, but this list of yours was a bad joke, nearly to the point where I'd suspect a Poe. You want to rip apart a developer for their #%&*$# behavior? Go ahead, but don't do it about stuff that ain't wrong, it makes you look like a jackass.

Last edited by Tirak; 07/08/18 04:46 PM.
#4429419 - 07/08/18 04:40 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: IceecI]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

Ok, I saw it now, so first you need to press buy, then you get the info. mycomputer

Last edited by IceecI; 07/08/18 04:41 PM.

#4429421 - 07/08/18 04:44 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: IceecI]  
Tirak Offline
Tirak  Offline

No, it's on the module list, the big scrolly one that shows all the modules? Take your head out of your ass mate, DCS has plenty to complain about but this post was lazily done and you know it.

#4429425 - 07/08/18 04:49 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: Tirak]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Tirak
No, it's on the module list, the big scrolly one that shows all the modules? Take your head out of your ass mate, DCS has plenty to complain about but this post was lazily done and you know it.

Well mr. righteous if you'd put your head where it belongs, maybe you'd realize that the post has nothing to do whether the module is early access or not.

#4429426 - 07/08/18 04:50 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: IceecI]  
Tirak Offline
Tirak  Offline

Except this one seems to make like it's important...

EDIT: And the fact you know, you #%&*$# about bugs and lacking a manual... which aren't there because it's early access.

Last edited by Tirak; 07/08/18 04:51 PM.
#4429428 - 07/08/18 04:52 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: Tirak]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

Let's me quess 15 year old? The reason I asked because I didni't see it when I looked at the page earlier, that doesn''t have anything to do with the post and it's contents. You're in wrong league now dude.

#4429430 - 07/08/18 04:57 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: IceecI]  
Haukka81 Offline
Haukka81  Offline

Kemij�rvi,Finland
You wanna be ICE ?

Try harder , ICE has least style and point.

wink

I5 8400 , 16gb , GTX 1070 oc , Win10 64bit . Virpil T-50 27" monitor with 2560x1440 rez ... DCS + Oculus CV1 + Samsung Odyssey . (odyssey is better for flight sims)
#4429431 - 07/08/18 04:59 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: IceecI]  
Tirak Offline
Tirak  Offline

Let's me quess 15 year old? The reason I asked because I didni't see it when I looked at the page earlier, that doesn''t have anything to do with the post and it's contents. You're in wrong league now dude.

Complaining about features not yet present but then denying that the list has anything to do about early access. Do you even read what you write mate? You made a big 'snarky' post about how terrible the Harrier is because you figured that everyone on SimHQ would yuck it up because we all hate DCS, but the key thing you seem to be missing here is that folks here don't mindlessly hate on things, they've got reasons and generally pretty good ones. DCS has done some really #%&*$# things, and that's why we criticize ED and the third party developers, but we're not in the camp of just hating on anything with the DCS label. Juvenile tribalism isn't why we come here to complain about DCS, something that I would imagine someone who is far more active here and has been on these boards for four years longer than I have would understand, but then again we all develop at our own pace I guess.

#4429433 - 07/08/18 05:02 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: Tirak]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

Complaining about features not yet present but then denying that the list has anything to do about early access. Do you even read what you write mate? You made a big 'snarky' post about how terrible the Harrier is because you figured that everyone on SimHQ would yuck it up because we all hate DCS, but the key thing you seem to be missing here is that folks here don't mindlessly hate on things, they've got reasons and generally pretty good ones. DCS has done some really #%&*$# things, and that's why we criticize ED and the third party developers, but we're not in the camp of just hating on anything with the DCS label. Juvenile tribalism isn't why we come here to complain about DCS, something that I would imagine someone who is far more active here and has been on these boards for four years longer than I have would understand, but then again we all develop at our own pace I guess.

You really think I can't read between the lines?

#4429434 - 07/08/18 05:05 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: Haukka81]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Haukka81
You wanna be ICE ?

Try harder , ICE has least style and point.

wink

Why can't you just say **** off I don't like your post I love AV-8B?

#4429441 - 07/08/18 06:12 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: IceecI]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I’m closing this until the assigned forum moderators can look at it.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4429477 - 07/08/18 10:53 PM Re: AV-8B N/A VTOL - Buying Guide [Re: IceecI]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Thanks OG.

Well...it seems ONCE AGAIN someone had to start taking personal shots at someone because they didn't like what they wrote about a module.

Take the time off to think how it could have been phrased differently.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.