Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
#4531030 - 07/22/20 11:02 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Found that one on sale (~$5) so I grabbed it. I'll check into those Regiments and see what all the fuss is about!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4531144 - 07/24/20 01:56 AM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
The Greenskins on the east coast are giving me trouble. I can't quite seem to get a handle on how to take care of them in battle. Any tips?

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4531173 - 07/24/20 12:37 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Greenskins got a boost with the last DLC and seem a more difficult foe now, especially if their army has Black Orc units, which are strong. I think the key is your archers, how many do you field in each army? Are you up against one or the Legendary lords, and if so who is it? If the greenskins have a Waaagh it is quite difficult to beat them with a single stack.

I would look to try and bait them. Have a single stack within reach of their army, with a second stack right next to them in ambush. If the ambush works (not spotted) the enemy might attack, but find itself against two of your stacks. If they won't bite, try a half-stack as bait, with two armies in ambush.

My main goal when fighting difficult opponents is to incapacitate their lord. Focus-fire him with your archers and Tyrion. If you've gone down a melee path for Tyrion he is a good lord-killer. With their lord knocked out the rest become brittle.

I like to use mobile units to draw off some of the enemy, get them to chase, leaving a smaller portion to engage at first. If you have light cavalry or chariots they are good for this. Move them early out behind the enemy and off one flank, see if the enemy will go after them. Kite them away from your front line.

Flanking is especially useful in this game. Keep a reserve if you can and work them around the flank and envelop enemy infantry at one end of the line. They will suffer a couple of different modifiers (flanked, hit from behind) and will be much faster to waver and break. Low leadership units are especially vulnerable to this. Once both armies are engaged in melee, move your archers forward on the flanks to hit the engaged enemy from behind. And of course use your heavy cav to cycle-charge engaged enemy infantry and to disrupt enemy ranged units and artillery.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4531174 - 07/24/20 12:49 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I'm up against Grom. I've killed him once, but he came back. I like the multi stack idea - the lord that killed Grom did so as a follow on attack after Grom tangled with Tyrion. For killing Grom, that lord now has a "causes terror in Greenskins" ability, I'll have to use that. I had put Tryion on the offensive with the idea that he is a superior fighter, but I'm going to have to go multi stack.

My problem has been their army comp is less on melee more on cav/ranged/monsters. I haven't figured out how to tackle that comp. I'll try your suggestions though, hopefully that will be more successful than I've been.

-Robert Heinlein
#4531177 - 07/24/20 12:58 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Grom's tough yes. He gets a cauldron mechanic which grants him and his army some nice buffs.

Grom's Cauldron

Bait and ambush works great in this game, if you can get the AI to bite. If the ambush army is placed between the bait and Grom, you'll even get an ambush battle out of it and then clean up. Of course terrain affects ambush chance so this isn't always possible to put the ambush army in front. Make sure the armies are within reinforcement range of one another of course.

When you click on an enemy stack it shows their movement range. Place your bait stack inside the edge of this if you have any other armies in range. When Grom attacks, retreat from the battle. Grom will not have the movement points to follow. Next turn hit his stack with all you've got.

Sisters of Averlorn make good anti-large units as they have AP damage, which your other archers do not (Dark Elves do). The magic arrows used by the Sisters ignore physical resistance, do extra damage to regenerating creatures (which some monstrous units have, like the trolls), and pierce armor. Spears (or Phoenix Guard) and Sisters can tag-team effectively against the monstrous units. Do you have dragons yet?

Do you have any allies in the war? Use the war co-ordination mechanic to hit them from two directions, or at least get your allies to fight where you need them to. Give them one of Grom's settlements as a target, or Grom's army itself. Distract or gang up.

Greenskins can use the underway, which can make them hard to pin down when and where you want to. If you can get an ally to hit them, even sacrificially, your army can clean up the remnants.

#4531312 - 07/25/20 12:16 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Avelorn and I managed to take out the Greenskins, and I never did run into Grom again so I didn't get much of a chance to try any of your suggestions. My battles have been either sieges or settlement battles I autoresolved because there was a very small garrison and and I didn't want to waste my time. After dealing with them a bit, I must say I look forward to play as that race at some point, if for nothing other than the flavor text of some of their units! There seems to be a quite a bit of "personality" to that faction. (Full confession, I picked up the Warden and Paunch DLC for the HE units and the opportunity to play Greenskins at some point when I found it on sale.)

My new nemesis is Skaven (I think, not quite sure). They took over a couple of my Saphery settlements, but I got one back. I'm currently reinforcing my army to get the second one back as well. They have two small-si stacks plus the garrison, I'll want 2 armies to take them on. I will try and bait the armies out of the settlement if I can to make the siege a little better but I am still rebuilding somewhat. Still, two stacks would seem to be a good way to go.

I've added Sisters of Avelorn as a replacement for depleted Lothern Guard units, and I'll upgrade my spearmen as well for a better front line. I'm waiting for some buildings to complete to be able to grab a dragon as well. I'm thinking I'll want to add a good Mage as well, I feel like I'm missing out without the ability to do some magic damage. I'll need a couple of Nobles to help out with my income too for the upkeep these new and improved units will bring with them.

I'm thinking Avelorn and Ellyrian have become too poweful for me to be able to confederate. I may have to take one of them on directly, which will hopefully make me strong enough to confederate the other. If I go that route, I'll use Influence to weaken their relationship to each other so they don't wind up allying against me, or better yet, one of them allies with me.

So far the game (or at least this particular run) seems to be one of constant warfare. In the ~100 turns I've got into this campaign, I may have spent at MOST 10 not in a war with somebody. Then again, the francise is "TOTAL War" so I guess that's to be expected! wink

-Robert Heinlein
#4531317 - 07/25/20 12:51 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good work. I'd be interested to know if it actually is Skaven on Ulthuan. I have to say I don't think I've seen that in all my runs. I find one of the Norsca factions is likely to invade in that region, but maybe it is Skaven. They've changed so much, and added new factions and lords so things are constantly evolving. For what it's worth the Skaven are my favorite faction to play.

I started a Grom run when I picked up the DLC a few weeks back to see what his deal was. He is strong, and the cauldron mechanic is powerful. There are a number of GS lords to choose, but I think he is the top dog. Grimgor has good potential, but the others have much more challenging starts in both Vortex and Mortal Empires campaigns.

Sounds like you're having a good run full of action.

If you're anything like me you will eventually have virtually all of the DLC. I think there are only two I do not own.

#4531328 - 07/25/20 03:11 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Yeah, I'll get them all eventually. Probably as I play a race that gets stuff unlocked that way. Norsca has hit, briefly, on the NE shore of Ulthuan. They didn't bring much and the garrison was able to fend them off. It was actually a fun battle - 2 axemen and a Lord vs. the garrison of 3 spearmen and 2 archers. I killed off the Lord and ran off the axe units.

Double checked and its Morrslieb's Howlers, a rogue army. Has some greenskin units, but the lord/leader looks like rat - those are skaven, right?

-Robert Heinlein
#4531331 - 07/25/20 03:21 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo

Double checked and its Morrslieb's Howlers, a rogue army. Has some greenskin units, but the lord/leader looks like rat - those are skaven, right?

OK, yes, the rats are Skaven. But that particular army, being a rogue one, is a mixed composition, fielding units from Skaven, Empire, Bretonnia, Greenskins and Chaos. Quite an eclectic mix I'd say smile

#4531333 - 07/25/20 03:36 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Oh joy. Well, I guess I get to see a few different units in action.

-Robert Heinlein
#4531339 - 07/25/20 03:54 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You sure will! They should have a doomwheel smile

#4531372 - 07/25/20 06:38 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Oh that sounds promising.

-Robert Heinlein
#4531373 - 07/25/20 06:49 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It's the "doom" part, right? biggrin

#4531375 - 07/25/20 06:58 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
No, it's the "wheel" that gets me all squishy. neaner

Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 07/25/20 06:59 PM.

-Robert Heinlein
#4531380 - 07/25/20 07:49 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
yep

#4531507 - 07/26/20 11:10 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Morrslieb's Howlers are no more. I was able to reinforce Tyrion with another Lord (whose job seems to be chasing down goody huts and bringing reinforcements where they are needed) up to a full stack. I added some Silverin Guard as well as more Sisters of Avelorne. The rest of the army is a Lion unit (not the infantry, the actual lion unit whose name escapes me), Eagle Claw, Silver Helm, Heralds of the Wind, as well as Spearmen and LSG w/ shields.

I used Tyrion to bait Scalpake and another small army into a battle outside of Shadow Peak. Scalpake and friend had about 21 units, Tyrion was a full stack and his reinforcement was 14/20. Needless to say, much damage was done, and very little was left.

The following siege was one I probably should have just auto-resolved but it was close enough that I didn't want to lose anything important. After taking out the tower guns with my arty, my archers rained devastation upon any units on the wall. much of their army was routed before I entered the city. The artillery took the gate out, and I sent all my calvalry and infantry into the town square to capture it. There were some small skirmishes but nothing of note, and the city as well as the province of Saphery were once more safely in the grasp of Eataine.

My settlements in Northern Yvresse are dealing with some public order issues, as well as Norsca just across the sea, so that will probably be my next area of focus once I've tooled up my military (again.) I may fire off a ritual first though and deal with that first.

-Robert Heinlein
#4531573 - 07/27/20 12:10 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, the bait tactic works nicely to get the enemy away from their city and their garrison. Defeat the field army, then face the garrison on it's own.

I'm sure you know, but worth a mention, that you can disable taxes in a region temporarily to slow the public order drop after taking a province. If you can afford the drop in income it's quite useful. Then again, rebel armies make good field training, provided you can get to them quickly.

#4531575 - 07/27/20 12:38 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Yep, figured the taxes thing out already, though it didn't lower it enough to make a big dent. I went from -5 to -2 and I was at -95 in the province, so I bought myself a couple of turns but it will still rebel. And I will crush them.
But they are on the NE of Ulthuan and I am on the inner ring (inside of the mountains) so I have to go the long way to get to them, and it will take 4-5 turns, so they will be able to create a little havoc before they are crushed.

-Robert Heinlein
#4531577 - 07/27/20 12:44 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That's the sort of situation where the underway is so useful. You can simply burrow under those mountain ranges and pop up on the other side smile Dwarfs, Skaven and Greenskins can do this. Hella useful.

How many rituals have you completed?

You mentioned Heralds of the Wind. What are these?

#4531629 - 07/27/20 05:01 PM Re: TW: Warhammer 2 [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
That does sound awfully useful! I haven't done any rituals yet, which I may have to rectify soon I guess. I'm around 100 turns in.

Heralds of the Wind is a Regiment of Renown, basically a slightly buffed Ellyrian Reaver Archer.

My current army comp of choice is 6 Silverin Guards, 8 Sisters of Avelorn, 2 Silver Helms, 1 dragon, 1 Eagle Claw, a mage and lord.

-Robert Heinlein
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.