Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4428209 - 06/29/18 11:55 AM Re: Bug: Consistent crash to desktop when selecting different campaigns [Re: XIII]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted by XIII
Good luck messy,i hope you find this bug.

Me too! It's probably the most annoying one at the moment. I'm just putting in lots of debug messages just now to see where it bombs out.

#4428237 - 06/29/18 03:18 PM Re: Bug: Consistent crash to desktop when selecting different campaigns [Re: messyhead]  
XIII Offline
XIII  Offline

the only advantage is that you can always repeat it.

#4428277 - 06/29/18 08:51 PM Re: Bug: Consistent crash to desktop when selecting different campaigns [Re: messyhead]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Didn't really get anywhere with this today, but I did find that it's not selecting a different campaign that's the problem, it's just selecting a campaign again. So select a scenario, click cancel, then go back in and select the same one again and it crashes.

#4428284 - 06/29/18 10:04 PM Re: Bug: Consistent crash to desktop when selecting different campaigns [Re: messyhead]  
XIII Offline
XIII  Offline

hmmmm i think its nothing with campaig and missions.
remember that I found, double click also causes ctd.I suggest go in this direction - something with a mouse, clicking and so on.

#4428323 - 06/30/18 09:23 AM Re: Bug: Consistent crash to desktop when selecting different campaigns [Re: XIII]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

hmmmm i think its nothing with campaig and missions.
remember that I found, double click also causes ctd.I suggest go in this direction - something with a mouse, clicking and so on.

Is it double click anything, or on the campaigns?

I think it's something to do with re-initialising the campaign description, but it's tricky to narrow down.

Edit: Just tried the double click thing on the campaigns, and it's the same issue. Double click a campaign - the first click selects it once, the second click selects the same campaign again causing the CTD.

Last edited by messyhead; 06/30/18 09:35 AM.
#4428379 - 06/30/18 11:36 PM Re: Bug: Consistent crash to desktop when selecting different campaigns [Re: messyhead]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

I think I might have a partial fix for this, could some people try it out? It's based on the last 1.16.0 release.

Just unzip the campaigns_fix.exe into your cohokum folder and run it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pzSEACiCQaNnD9ztZvgk6GCVg84mjeGM/view?usp=sharing

I was able to select different campaign scenarios without getting a crash.

However, I tried starting a campaign, and I thought it had froze, but the Cancel button took me back. Then when I selected another campaign, I got another CTD.

The fix for this was that there was a bunch of missing breaks in the gameflow class, which I added in. So maybe there's more needing added.

Edit: I re-did the fix, and managed to get a campaign to start now. I think there might still be a CTD when then going back and selecting a different campaign. It needs tested. The link above has been updated with the latest version.

Last edited by messyhead; 07/01/18 12:15 AM.
#4428395 - 07/01/18 04:16 AM Re: Bug: Consistent crash to desktop when selecting different campaigns [Re: messyhead]  
Woozle24 Offline
Woozle24  Offline

messyhead, what branch are you testing with? I'm still no longer seeing campaign switching related crashes on "master".

I had some CTDs with cmake.bat builds previously, but now I'm thinking those were caused by my registry paths not matching what the initialization code was looking for (after reviewing the source). Maybe that discrepancy was caused by using the GOG.com installer? Maybe its because I'm on windows 10? I still have more testing to do since i'm still seeing what I'm guessing is path related problems (menus look like un-modded game, ui text buttons have wrong names).

Do you want me to patch/test any other branches? Or are the others frozen/meant for particular developers to maintain?

#4428401 - 07/01/18 08:00 AM Re: Bug: Consistent crash to desktop when selecting different campaigns [Re: Woozle24]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted by Woozle24
messyhead, what branch are you testing with? I'm still no longer seeing campaign switching related crashes on "master".

I had some CTDs with cmake.bat builds previously, but now I'm thinking those were caused by my registry paths not matching what the initialization code was looking for (after reviewing the source). Maybe that discrepancy was caused by using the GOG.com installer? Maybe its because I'm on windows 10? I still have more testing to do since i'm still seeing what I'm guessing is path related problems (menus look like un-modded game, ui text buttons have wrong names).

Do you want me to patch/test any other branches? Or are the others frozen/meant for particular developers to maintain?

I'm trying to fix it in the release_1_16 branch, however I also get the CTD with your test9.exe (and the ones before that), and with a stock 1.16.0 install. I'm also using the GoG installer on Windows 10.

I've not committed anything yet. I could create a patch file and send you it? After all the investigations I did, the fix was in gameflow.c. My IDE (Eclipse) highlighted a bunch of bugs due to missing breaks. Adding a couple of those fixed the issue I was seeing, but I don't think it's completely eliminated it from the testing I've done so far.

I didn't want to use master at the moment, but I could switch to that and checkin.

#4428402 - 07/01/18 08:27 AM Re: Bug: Consistent crash to desktop when selecting different campaigns [Re: messyhead]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

As mentioned above, I've partially fixed this, but just moved the issue on further. Here's the steps I'm going through when testing;

1. Select Campaign
2. Select a Map
3. Select a Scenario
4. Select a different Scenario either for the same Map or a different one - this previously cased a CTD but I've now fixed this
5. Start the selected Campaign
6. Quit the Campaign
7. Repeat steps 1-4
8. Click OK for the selected Scenario - this causes a CTD when you click on OK to select the scenario

#4428541 - 07/02/18 05:04 AM Re: Bug: Consistent crash to desktop when selecting different campaigns [Re: messyhead]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

So as Woozle hinted at above, I'm starting to think this isn't a bug. I had seemed to partially resolve it using the EECH game folder that I have, which contains some other, in development things, like the MI28 instruments, and my Blackhawk cockpit.

I went back to previous versions from 1.15.0 - 1.15.4, then tried a clean 1.16.0 - and couldn't recreate the issue in any of those versions. So this is starting to make me think it's something within my EECH folder that was causing the problem.

I've also tried it with a clean 1.16.0 and the Hover mod test9 which actually bumps the version to 1.16.1.

If noone else can recreate this with a clean 1.16.0 build, then I think it's not a bug.

#4428624 - 07/02/18 06:29 PM Re: Bug: Consistent crash to desktop when selecting different campaigns [Re: messyhead]  
XIII Offline
XIII  Offline

it's not bug its feature wink
I noticed that something is wrong with v-synch.When is disabled- 2d menu working worse, slow, freezes sometimes.when I turn on vsync everything works better, okay.I tested it many times. Something really is wrong with this option.even freezing the menu from my other thread is less common when I use vsynch on.maybe it's also related to ctd.
I will check clean 1.16 version and report later.

On 116 (not clean, only changed exe without your gauges mi 28) still ctd when change campaign.

Wow i just delete eech.ini and game.cfg, run latest Javelin 09 exe, and ALL WORKS ! I can change campaign, skirmish, everything works without ctd. I nothing change in eech.ini. Just deleted old and run game.

tested many times.

Last edited by XIII; 07/02/18 10:29 PM.
#4428689 - 07/03/18 06:42 AM Re: Bug: Consistent crash to desktop when selecting different campaigns [Re: XIII]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

it's not bug its feature wink
I noticed that something is wrong with v-synch.When is disabled- 2d menu working worse, slow, freezes sometimes.when I turn on vsync everything works better, okay.I tested it many times. Something really is wrong with this option.even freezing the menu from my other thread is less common when I use vsynch on.maybe it's also related to ctd.
I will check clean 1.16 version and report later.

On 116 (not clean, only changed exe without your gauges mi 28) still ctd when change campaign.

Wow i just delete eech.ini and game.cfg, run latest Javelin 09 exe, and ALL WORKS ! I can change campaign, skirmish, everything works without ctd. I nothing change in eech.ini. Just deleted old and run game.

tested many times.

Thanks. I think it must be something in the game.cfg needing "reset" when you switch versions. I spent a few days on this sigh At least I know a bit more about how the gameflow and screens work.

If you think the vsync thing is an issue, could you create a new bug thread?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.