Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4427499 - 06/24/18 11:02 AM Re: Su 33 and AV 8B for DCS - good to go ? [Re: Frederf]  
BrettT Offline
BrettT  Offline

Louisiana
Would you buy Windows if every time you clicked and dragged it reset the mouse cursor to the center of the screen? Because every failed and canceled track in the Mirage radar resets the cursor and elevation to the center. In those critical seconds as you and the bandit are closing the radar decides to play sillybuggers with where you were looking. Get beamed for a half second (remember no coast memory?) Well now your radar elevates away from the contact. It's like it was built by and for people without any intention of putting it to use.

That may be an aggravating characteristic of the radar or like you inferred, maybe an intentional feature. Personally, if I choose to cancel the lock I would actually prefer for the elevation to be reset to the middle. If I lose lock while closing because I was being beamed then chances are I will likely be switching to one of the close combat modes anyways. So at least for me, this is far from a deal breaker. Now whether I would buy something or not is really a summation of the parts and whether I feel there are any dealbreakers in it. Like what was inferred in a past post the best approach is to have a very detailed review. What works 100%, what parts need some more and detailed information on the impacts of those factors. In the example you gave, it seems like this would be a deal breaker for you where as for me it is really a non-issue or even go so far as to call it a preferred operation

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4427503 - 06/24/18 11:38 AM Re: Su 33 and AV 8B for DCS - good to go ? [Re: Andy T]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

"If I were to fantasize that I was a billionaire and was in charge of ED, I'd put everything on hold and get the foundations (DCS Core) right, then get 3rd-party to bring their releases up to a well-accepted standard of development, and only then consider doing work on other un-released projects."

Yea, but problem is that, that would make sense and would require ED to adopt a completely new approach and would eventually lead to finished modules and that's not acceptable.

Last edited by IceecI; 06/24/18 11:39 AM.

Give a man fish and he gets food, give a man a fishing rod and he asks for another one.
#4427526 - 06/24/18 03:28 PM Re: Su 33 and AV 8B for DCS - good to go ? [Re: IceecI]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by BrettT
That may be an aggravating characteristic of the radar or like you inferred, maybe an intentional feature.
So at least for me, this is far from a deal breaker. Now whether I would buy something or not is really a summation of the parts and whether I feel there are any dealbreakers in it.
even go so far as to call it a preferred operation

Err, nope. If it is supposed to simulate something, it should do so properly. What if the FLAPS command activated the gear and the MASTER ARM activated the flaps? You can work around it, sure, but don't go around claiming to be a high fidelity simulator! biggrin biggrin biggrin

Someone might prefer a one-click magical radar that sees in a 360-degree arc and the devs may code that as an intentional feature, but things like these should be spelled out as it WILL be a dealbreaker for many looking for proper study simulations of their favorite aircraft. Again, making excuses for it because it's not a deal breaker for YOU is not going to look like a credible review.

Originally Posted by IceecI
Yea, but problem is that, that would make sense and would require ED to adopt a completely new approach and would eventually lead to finished modules and that's not acceptable.

Yeah, it'll be a total change, wouldn't it? Can't have that!! biggrin
I'd also bring the F-14, F-4, AH-64, and other sure-sell cash-cow modules in-house.

- Ice
#4427561 - 06/24/18 07:39 PM Re: Su 33 and AV 8B for DCS - good to go ? [Re: - Ice]  
BrettT Offline
BrettT  Offline

Louisiana
Err, nope. If it is supposed to simulate something, it should do so properly. What if the FLAPS command activated the gear and the MASTER ARM activated the flaps? You can work around it, sure, but don't go around claiming to be a high fidelity simulator!

Someone might prefer a one-click magical radar that sees in a 360-degree arc and the devs may code that as an intentional feature, but things like these should be spelled out as it WILL be a dealbreaker for many looking for proper study simulations of their favorite aircraft. Again, making excuses for it because it's not a deal breaker for YOU is not going to look like a credible review.

If this was indeed the case then I think most would agree with that assessment. But certainly flaps activating the master arm is far cry from the example of the elevation resetting to zero when a lock is lost. They are at a whole different level when one considers the fidelity level of a module. I can see this being used as an exaggerated example but it is certainly not in the spirit of the positive/negative review mentioned above.

I get it ….some want it 100% and anything less is simply rubbish. Those same individuals should also qualify their opinions in this light as well so that a person looking to get advice on a possible purchase also has a picture of the standards of the person giving the opinion, otherwise there is no real reference in which to make an informed decision

i.e. I don't think the module is worth the cost because it doesn't do x, y and z correctly but everything else seems on the spot. These items are important to me because I don't enjoy anything less than 100% fidelity.

Last edited by BrettT; 06/24/18 07:42 PM.
#4427579 - 06/24/18 09:38 PM Re: Su 33 and AV 8B for DCS - good to go ? [Re: BrettT]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Just made an exaggeration for emphasis smile Wasn't meant to be taken as a 1:1 example. A positive/negative or balanced review is one thing. Saying "it's an intentional feature and I like it that [broken] way!" is another.

I get it ….some want it 100% and anything less is simply rubbish.

Who said anything like that? I've already talked about this 2 posts ago.
Just because people cite stuff that are broken does not mean they are asking for 100%. Let's stop this strawman already.

- Ice
#4427580 - 06/24/18 09:50 PM Re: Su 33 and AV 8B for DCS - good to go ? [Re: - Ice]  
BrettT Offline
BrettT  Offline

Louisiana
Sounds like a plan. Hope you all have a great day

#4427596 - 06/24/18 10:53 PM Re: Su 33 and AV 8B for DCS - good to go ? [Re: BrettT]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Sounds like a plan. Hope you all have a great day

You too, mate. smile

- Ice
#4427691 - 06/25/18 04:36 PM Re: Su 33 and AV 8B for DCS - good to go ? [Re: Andy T]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Speaking by analogy doesn't seem to work. It's not good enough.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.