Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4424551 - 06/04/18 05:36 PM Your favorite mech and loadout?  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I was just thinking, what's your favorite mech(s) and weapons loadout? My current staple is my Atlas and my King Crab, simply because they're tough buggers and can take a beating! I need to be careful not to expose one for too long though otherwise I'd get so many LRM hits that despite being safe inside the mech, the pilot suffers from so many knockdowns he still becomes out of commission for a good while afterwards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Highlander is my sniper mech and almost always comes along in every mission, then the BattleMaster or Awesome becomes the scout mech for sensor-locking targets. The trick seems to be limited aggro so that my guys aren't swamped by enemy mechs all the time. I guess compared to the TT where players field a specific number of mechs, specific tonnage, or battle rating so the fights are somewhat even, the game can sometimes throw better or worse odds at the player.

Another interesting thing about the game is the pilot injury mechanic and the knockdown mechanic. I don't think I've utilized this tactic on TT games and salvage was done differently but because of how the game works, it's best to load up on weapons that do stability damage in order to aid in salvage operations. I'm not much of an LRM/SRM fan on TT; I prefer lasers and PPCs, but in this game, I find myself loading up on LRMs/SRMs and looking for more "unique" weapons as I go along.

- Ice
#4424605 - 06/04/18 10:54 PM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
Highlander 733P with PPC and 3 SRM 6. very blasty. will try to post a build shot later.

Catapult with 2 LRM15++ makes for a nice suppression / knockdown support mech

twin AC20 King Crab - secondary weapons almost don't matter. aim for CT, dead or crippled mech

Just got Awesome 8T - looking to outfit as LRM/LLas support but have not built it yet

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#4424656 - 06/05/18 10:19 AM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
My personal ride is a Highlander, and has been since I got it.

[Linked Image]

I am also all in on the LRM support as of now. Here's my main one:

[Linked Image]

Speaking of LRM support, I now enjoy the convoy intercept missions. I run: My Highlander, A "Scout" in a Kintaro with a PPC/LRM, another fast medium with a couple of LRM's and, the Stalker that makes the sky light up and fall down on your head! skyisfalling

Oh, and Lasers SUCK. The only one I have is a Small ++ on my Brawler. Just my opinion of course.

Attached Files Highlander1.jpgStalker_LRM.jpg

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4424659 - 06/05/18 10:30 AM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Yeah, I can use the King Crab to take out a leg if I want a quick knockdown. I'd love to bring the Catapult along but 1) I've not found more LRMs with stability damage improvements and I'm hesitant to take those weapons out of the mechs they're already in and 2) with Assault mechs in the lance, the Catapult just seems too fragile compared to others.

- Ice
#4424660 - 06/05/18 10:32 AM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: Nixer]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Nixer
Oh, and Lasers SUCK. The only one I have is a Small ++ on my Brawler. Just my opinion of course.

I feel the same way regarding lasers which is a pity really. In TT, I like to run lasers as I seem to be really luck in getting ammo explosions. It also seems that the game uses different rules for ammo crits and explosions; in TT, one ton of MG ammo cooking off can be really dangerous!

- Ice
#4425495 - 06/11/18 01:18 AM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
Is there no gauss or LBX in the game?

Steam: Sinner6
Uplay: Sinner76028
MWO: Sinner6
#4425496 - 06/11/18 01:34 AM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
The Gauss is here, I got it gifted by her Highness "Bad Fit" in a mech after a story mission.

Replacements and more ammo is another story. Nobody I have heard off has seen either.

Last edited by Nixer; 06/11/18 01:35 AM.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4425501 - 06/11/18 02:03 AM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
Clydewinder Offline
Clydewinder  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by - Ice
Originally Posted by Nixer

I feel the same way regarding lasers which is a pity really. In TT, I like to run lasers as I seem to be really luck in getting ammo explosions. It also seems that the game uses different rules for ammo crits and explosions; in TT, one ton of MG ammo cooking off can be really dangerous!

they do spread a lot of damage. mid/late game one of my workhorses was a battlemaster with 6ML and LRM20. seemed to get the job done. aimed shots with 6ML were nothing to scoff at.

#4425508 - 06/11/18 02:43 AM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I guess I just love the combo AC/PPC hit when the fail cascade starts: Lost Evasion, LA lost, LT lost, Nads lost middle leg CRIT, OMG the WHOLE FREAKIN MECH just popped!

They Blow up REAL GOOD!

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4425512 - 06/11/18 03:43 AM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I use a good number of lasers. One of my Stalkers has 4 LL, 2 ML. An alpha with a called torso shot...not much withstands it, and if it does it can usually get taken out with a normal shot of LRM’s with a few hitting CT.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4425575 - 06/11/18 03:17 PM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I could be totally wrong here, but this is my point: why use lasers when they deal damage and give off heat? Ballistic weapons do the same (damage and less heat) but also do stability damage. Missiles are the same. The only energy-based weapon I'd consider is the PPC and even the ER PPC seems to generate too much heat to be worthwhile. I think they upped the stability factor just too much to the point that lasers can't compete.

Of course if the idea is just to core a mech and kill it, anything goes, even lasers, but even then, I'm thinking why core a mech when you can salvage it for more money?

- Ice
#4425606 - 06/11/18 04:33 PM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I'm not really worried about money anymore, or really even salvage.
If I *am* loaded for bear and wanting to salvage a mech I want, I do it with primarily LRM knockdowns, 3-4 until the pilot is too injured to go on. That leaves the mech in tact. PPC's and AC's destroy torsos, so that can be counter-productive.
In the meantime, I still need to take out all of the other mechs and lasers are more accurate IMO. No recoil and I find that MUCH more often I can do pinpoint damage with lasers. Plus, you can carry a lot more of them than you can AC's or PPC's, so if one misses, the others likely won't, so I don't waste precision shots nearly as much. Less heat than PPC's, just about as much damage, less weight and I have a lot of the same weapons with bonuses so I don't care much if one gets taken out.
I still have AC's and PPC's, but my favorite are LRM's and energy. Earlier in the game an AC20 and PPC's were my main killers, just not as much now.

I'm starting to move back towards the heavies with an assault backup, it's a little more fun, so I've got some K2's with PPC's ready to go.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4425617 - 06/11/18 05:17 PM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Well, if money and salvage are not a concern and the main point is just to kill, why not? smile

One more thing -- is it just me or are the ranges a bit more fudged in the game compared to TT? I used to appreciate being able to stand off from the enemy but it seems like this isn't as much of a concern in the game.

- Ice
#4425730 - 06/12/18 07:01 AM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
QuantumPeep Offline
QuantumPeep  Offline

Germany
Dekker, all 10 scout in his Grasshopper with a center torso LL+++ is my most dangerous mechwarrior. Last 11 battles 13 headshot kills, (when I started counting), with that large laser, without using precision shot on almost undamaged mechs every time. Collected plenty of Assaults that way. My favorite hero jumping around the battle field, sensor locking and popping cockpits like popcorn left and right.

Glitch on the other hand, all 10 sniper in a 3 PPC Awsome with energy TTS, has scored 2 none-lethal headshots so far, using precision shots, (she’s good at legging though).

I may have a look at exchanging those PPC for LLs and see what happens. Range would however be an issue then.

The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you're not in shape for it, it's too far to walk back.

History repeats itself, because no one listened the first time. Anon
#4425753 - 06/12/18 01:45 PM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Glitch, at least mine, is "glitched".

Seems to wildly miss easy kill shots at times, then mutters something about "needing more time in the simulator. I have relegated her to LRM support where she does real well.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4425806 - 06/12/18 07:49 PM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

What is a non-lethal headshot?

- Ice
#4425839 - 06/12/18 10:04 PM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
QuantumPeep Offline
QuantumPeep  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted by - Ice
What is a non-lethal headshot?

Dekker destroys the head, incapacitating the pilot, Glitch just damages the cockpit only injuring the pilot.

The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you're not in shape for it, it's too far to walk back.

History repeats itself, because no one listened the first time. Anon
#4425847 - 06/12/18 10:37 PM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I see! smile Slow day for me biggrin

- Ice
#4425879 - 06/13/18 05:10 AM Re: Your favorite mech and loadout? [Re: - Ice]  
Clydewinder Offline
Clydewinder  Offline
Hotshot

my Glitch died early on to an unlucky AC20 cockpit hit. RIP

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.