Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4421726 - 05/20/18 03:03 PM Re: Will this sim ever make it to the Pacific? [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Well, you certainly can't be suggesting that everyone stops buying their products to force them into doing a PTO sim. That would be creating something of a Catch-22 situation, wouldn't it? We say, we we aren't buying anything until they fullfill their promise of making a Pacific based game. So now they have no money coming in to do it.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4421739 - 05/20/18 04:58 PM Re: Will this sim ever make it to the Pacific? [Re: Pooch]  
Frogyy2 Offline
Frogyy2  Offline

Originally Posted by Pooch
Well, you certainly can't be suggesting that everyone stops buying their products to force them into doing a PTO sim. That would be creating something of a Catch-22 situation, wouldn't it? We say, we we aren't buying anything until they fullfill their promise of making a Pacific based game. So now they have no money coming in to do it.

There is no point in trying to twist my words. The substance of my statements is that the developer is in the entertainment industry. The developer has found a moderately successful formula in which German war machinery is the central component. The developer’s challenge is to maintain and expand it’s customer base. To that end the developer is increasing the number of air forces that can compete against German equipment. The USAAF and RAF are being formally introduced as opponents. I should also include mention of VR. By successfully implementing vr the customer base has expanded even without new battle theaters. I bought into BoX only after deciding to purchase a Rift. I have essentially ceased to fly sims that don’t have a vr implementation. That component of the customer base will only continue to grow. The developer’s future success is not tied to implementation of a PTO offering. There is no existing leverage for anyone to politic for a PTO addition to the series. Can the developer sell more bf 109 and FW190 variants? You betcha. Can it sell as many Japanese bombers and tanks?

#4421743 - 05/20/18 05:18 PM Re: Will this sim ever make it to the Pacific? [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
..."they will buy whatever the developer chooses to offer which would seem to suggest that there is absolutely no pressure on the developer to ever undertake any PTO scenario."

I wasn't trying to twist your words at all. Actually, I really thought that's what you were trying to say.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4421749 - 05/20/18 05:46 PM Re: Will this sim ever make it to the Pacific? [Re: Pooch]  
Frogyy2 Offline
Frogyy2  Offline

Apology accepted. TY!

#4421772 - 05/20/18 07:49 PM Re: Will this sim ever make it to the Pacific? [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

He didnt apologize. (as any kid will tell you, an explanation of what you said is not the same as saying sorry for what I said)

Also you did basically say exactly what he said you said. You even give your own purchase history as an example of how to do it. You are basically telling people not to buy it unless they give in to our demands, ours being PTO and yours being VR.

Historically the most recent PTO sims in series have sold the most copies. MS CFS 2 sold more copies than the original. Il-2 Pacific Fighters sold more than the original il-2.

You also allude to a pattern of them only buildings games vs the german war machine but the ONLY way they could build a flight sim with enough plane variety and competitiveness without germans would be to make a PTO game. The only real pattern the IL-2 BoX series follows is the inclusion of the Russians as the protagonists and that is leaving with BP. (and it already isnt a good pattern because of the lend lease planes.)

Your whole argument is bunk and kind of ridiculous.

VR also has very little to do with anything. If you look at user statistics VR is less than 1% of 1% of the user base. The user base is so small that most VR game companies only make a profit by taking VR grants when making their games because sales are so small. That obviously wont always be the case as VR improves and becomes more mainstream but right now VR means jack.

The point is, they build flight sims because they has a passion to do them and they decide what they want to do vs what they think they can do vs what they think will sell. I can pretty much guarantee they didnt look at the PTO and say, this will never sell. Lets do something else. If anything they might have said, "we cant afford to research and make this and gamble that we will sell enough fast enough to survive."

Tanks though. The first playable tanks were implemented as a side project on someone's spare time. it worked, it was popular and it takes minimal effort to expand. It also incorporates directly into their current theaters. The only downside is the time to do internal cabins and a new terrain and it has the bonus of bringing in players who would otherwise not buy their product. If schedule properly it might not even take assets/development away from other projects (BP, RoF)

Last edited by Master; 05/20/18 07:59 PM.
#4421775 - 05/20/18 08:04 PM Re: Will this sim ever make it to the Pacific? [Re: Master]  
Frogyy2 Offline
Frogyy2  Offline

I do not know what group you are authorized to speak for. In any case you are in no position to make demands of anyone. TY!

#4421790 - 05/20/18 10:21 PM Re: Will this sim ever make it to the Pacific? [Re: Frogyy2]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
First off, Frogyy2, thanks for your input on this topic. Just like anyone else here, your opinion is your right and I think it added to the conversation.

I must say however that I don't understand the tone of your responses. What you have written comes across as hostile and argumentative. There's no sense in that, given the topic we are discussing. Let's try to keep it civil.

Originally Posted by Frogyy2
I do not know what group you are authorized to speak for. In any case you are in no position to make demands of anyone. TY!

I didn't see anyone claim to speak for the developer. You seem to be doing this very thing, though...stating as a certainty the developer's business model and motivations without any authorization I can discern. Once again, that kind of argumentative stuff just turns the discussion toxic. I'd like to avoid that.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
#4421803 - 05/20/18 11:13 PM Re: Will this sim ever make it to the Pacific? [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Frogyy2 Offline
Frogyy2  Offline

I speak for myself. My input addresses the title of this thread very directly. You are unable to challenge my reasoning so you raise objection to my “tone” as your ruse. Why the need to “go low”?

#4421967 - 05/21/18 06:12 PM Re: Will this sim ever make it to the Pacific? [Re: VMIalpha454]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
OK... Locking this thread temporarily until I can examine it more closely later.

EDIT: OK, I have elected to trim the tail end off of this thread in an attempt to get it back on track. Let's focus on the merits, or lack thereof, of the arguments for or against the developer making a Pacific Theater offering.

Unlocking the remaining thread now.

Last edited by CyBerkut; 05/22/18 12:30 AM. Reason: Moderation
#4422036 - 05/22/18 12:40 AM Re: Will this sim ever make it to the Pacific? [Re: Frogyy2]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
I speak for myself. My input addresses the title of this thread very directly. You are unable to challenge my reasoning so you raise objection to my “tone” as your ruse. Why the need to “go low”?

Up to that point in the thread, I don't see where anybody 'went low'. Nobody had attacked you by that point, but rather had addressed your position. Additionally, I don't see where anyone had made demands up to the point where you posted:

In any case you are in no position to make demands of anyone. TY!

You might wish to refrain from declaring your argument as victorious, and leave that to the readers to decide for themselves. People can find that annoying, and it can lead discussions down the drain.

#4425659 - 06/11/18 07:57 PM Re: Will this sim ever make it to the Pacific? [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Hooves Offline
Hooves  Offline

Well, fear not. The title has breath taking VR support (visuals only for now) and it runs like a champ. Coming back from the Flight sim expo held in Vegas I can tell you the VR setups were the most popular. They had a line 4-5 deep to get in it basically the entire show. We not only showcased IL2 to the civi flight sim crowd but opened their eyes to how cool VR can be!

#4425661 - 06/11/18 08:06 PM Re: Will this sim ever make it to the Pacific? [Re: Hooves]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted by Hooves
Well, fear not. The title has breath taking VR support (visuals only for now) and it runs like a champ. Coming back from the Flight sim expo held in Vegas I can tell you the VR setups were the most popular. They had a line 4-5 deep to get in it basically the entire show. We not only showcased IL2 to the civi flight sim crowd but opened their eyes to how cool VR can be!

^ What he said. smile The show was a blast, and it was fun getting to showcase the game with all of its key features.

I just wish SimHQ still gave a crap about events like this. I see the main news page was last updated in 2017.

#4425767 - 06/12/18 03:04 PM Re: Will this sim ever make it to the Pacific? [Re: LukeFF]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Originally Posted by LukeFF
Originally Posted by Hooves

^ What he said. smile The show was a blast, and it was fun getting to showcase the game with all of its key features.

I just wish SimHQ still gave a crap about events like this. I see the main news page was last updated in 2017.

The members here still care. I wonder if you wrote up an article whether the site would post it on the news page? I read Jason’s post over on the IL2 forums, and I saw where you guys stepped up and helped him out a ton with the show. I, for one, would be interested in your insights!

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.