Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4425256 - 06/08/18 11:25 PM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Khai]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
I've often wondered why people hang themselves. It has to be such a slow choking death if carried out by the suicide. (Sorry if it seems OT, but it is relevant I think to wonder about this, you can hang for 15-20 minutes before death)

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4425288 - 06/09/18 04:51 AM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Mad Max]  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
Originally Posted by Mad Max
I've often wondered why people hang themselves. It has to be such a slow choking death if carried out by the suicide. (Sorry if it seems OT, but it is relevant I think to wonder about this, you can hang for 15-20 minutes before death)

If you hang yourself, for example with a belt, you black out very fast if the belt is properly around the neck! You are not dead yet, but you are not conscious anymore, so you know nothing about what is happening to you. Trust me, I know what I am talking about.

I Want To Believe
#4425301 - 06/09/18 11:32 AM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Khai]  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

I cannot imagine how someone is thinking and feeling that they feel suicide is the only option. The thought that always enters my head when hearing of a tragic suicide, whoever it may be, is whether at the last moment there is some clarity over the finality of their actions or simply a change of heart, but things have gone too far for them to reverse the decision through being incapacitated. The primal instinct to stay alive is often extremely strong and I find it quite sobering to think that their final thoughts may have been, "I don't want this, I want to live". nope

#4425317 - 06/09/18 04:20 PM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Moved_on]  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
Originally Posted by BeeDeeBee
I cannot imagine how someone is thinking and feeling that they feel suicide is the only option.

2 words: Tunnel vision.

I Want To Believe
#4425323 - 06/09/18 04:47 PM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Khai]  
Marc Offline
Marc  Offline

Corona, California
RIP Anthony frown

Marc..

HP-Compaq-8100-Elite-SFF-Intel-Core-i5-660-3-33GHz-8GB-250GB-Windows7, GTX1050 -X45+Rudder Pedals, Playseat Challenge
#4425387 - 06/09/18 11:16 PM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Marc]  
jhun40 Offline
jhun40  Offline

never likes the mans show....thought he lived a high risk lifestyle...

most important is we pray for the mans soul.....this is #1.....

#4425400 - 06/10/18 02:29 AM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Moved_on]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Originally Posted by BeeDeeBee
I cannot imagine how someone is thinking and feeling that they feel suicide is the only option. The thought that always enters my head when hearing of a tragic suicide, whoever it may be, is whether at the last moment there is some clarity over the finality of their actions or simply a change of heart, but things have gone too far for them to reverse the decision through being incapacitated. The primal instinct to stay alive is often extremely strong and I find it quite sobering to think that their final thoughts may have been, "I don't want this, I want to live". nope

I once read that hanging suicides often show signs of trying to free themselves from the noose after they have jumped or whatever.

#4425444 - 06/10/18 04:22 PM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Khai]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
For all of you not understanding how depression works, and how it kills people, PLEASE do some reading about it.
It's not drug problems, it's not anything like that, it is a real illness. It is as real as cancer or something similar, and can be just as hard to beat.
Depression takes hold, and slowly drags you down deeper and deeper. It lies to you, and tells you that things are actually awful, no matter how good your life seems. It makes everything empty. There is nothing - no happiness, just draining sad emptiness.
Suicide isn't some sort of tunnel vision, it is depression covering everything in bleakness, until it feels like everything is pointless, and going on will just lead to more sad emptiness, so why not get it over and done with?
I have struggled with depression. I almost killed myself. I survived through a lot of help from friends and professionals.

For all of those who dismiss it, and say people kill themselves because they are broken, or have drug problems, or whatever - you are part of the problem. Men are especially vulnerable to depression and suicide because they are taught to keep their feelings inside, and to tough things out. That doesn't work with depression. If your friends feel that they can talk to you, and come to you for help, you might just save their lives. I've done 3am chat sessions with a friend to talk them out of suicide. It's not fun, but that friend is now living a happy life, at least in part because they knew they could come to me for help.

#4425450 - 06/10/18 05:27 PM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Khai]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Thank you FT for that explanation and with sharing your experience.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4425482 - 06/10/18 10:56 PM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Khai]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
I dunno, I've been through a fair bit in my life, death of children, a broken marriage, bad sickness and injury, financial hardship.... broke three times actually. Although I've been down on occasions that's as far as it went.

Suicidal depression has never been an issue. I've obviously missed something thank God.

#4425493 - 06/11/18 12:35 AM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Khai]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Me too, Max. Me too...

I guess I always had a friend somewhere who'd snap me out of being depressed or, even just seeing something funny I would have missed. Most of my later life till cancer tried to kick my butt and, now COPD after 50 freakin years of smoking, I just consider myself in the bonus round and hope to keep on laughing thru life for years to come. But, honestly, I live it like I might not wake up tomorrow.

I do try to help out younger people with advice, especially when I have particular knowledge of the subject.

I have a very pretty young friend I am particularly worried about. She had an accident in her car. Now I just found out her father, who supposedly had her on his insurance...HAD INSURED HER CAR BUT EXCLUDED HER AS A DRIVER! He was pocketing his daughters money! That has to be devastating to a girl who just turned 21. I can't help her out financially, but between myself and a very good friend we may just have enough legal knowledge to get her out of this. She's still gonna lose some money, but save her credit, eventually.

But, anyway...I'd say she's at risk. I don't like her boyfriend but, glad he is there right now. (His idea is sue Dad, who is so broke he's stealing money from his daughter)

I guess I believe that suicide is a cowards way out.

Painful terminally ill is not included in that. Only an insane person would want someone to suffer and say it's God's will. Truly...

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4425498 - 06/11/18 01:49 AM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Khai]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Hi Nixer, I have Stage 4 cancer presently under control, but the old final friend is always there in the gun safe if its needful. Just about the only circumstances in which I would consider such a thing. Anything else you can recover from with the help of family and friends. But individuals vary hugely. I judge no-one.

#4425505 - 06/11/18 02:19 AM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Khai]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Max my thoughts are with you... a lot, FWIW.

I am so lucky and hope you don't mind that I enjoy every freakin second I am on this planet. Tis sad my friend that we can't convey to the average bloke just how cool it is to wake up, here a bird call and watch the sun kiss the planet for another day.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4425506 - 06/11/18 02:22 AM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Khai]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Thanks mate we've known each other a long time haven't we? I'm really OK though, living a normal life for the most part. Others known to us both have it much worse.

#4425507 - 06/11/18 02:27 AM Re: Anthony Bourdain passes at 61. [Re: Khai]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
All my best Max!

and yeah on the much worse. I do what I can for friends. Share the knowledge thing...Sure can't share the wealth.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.