Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4424593 - 06/04/18 09:52 PM Modules with training and SP?  
Gattsu Offline
Gattsu  Offline

Barcelona (Spain)
Hello guys,

I played DCS Black Shark a bit a long time ago. The launch of F-18 has spiked my interest in DCS again. I have two questions regarding the modules:

First, what modules have an in game interactive training? I think Black Shark 1 and 2 and A-10 but I'm not sure if more.

Last, how the SP mode evolved all this years? How is the campaign? I heard they launched many modules with lack of SP content. I only play single player at simulators .

Thanks!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4424640 - 06/05/18 06:39 AM Re: Modules with training and SP? [Re: Gattsu]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Many do to some extent. Mirage, Fishbed have them. How high quality or in depth? It varies. I think others like Bf-109K-4 have dick-all SP content.

#4424662 - 06/05/18 10:35 AM Re: Modules with training and SP? [Re: Gattsu]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
SP campaigns are still scripted missions AFAIK, and likely to be broken with ED's patching system just as before.

- Ice
#4424762 - 06/05/18 09:57 PM Re: Modules with training and SP? [Re: - Ice]  
Gattsu Offline
Gattsu  Offline

Barcelona (Spain)
Originally Posted by - Ice
SP campaigns are still scripted missions AFAIK, and likely to be broken with ED's patching system just as before.

Wow. So if I buy Black Shark 2 to play the campaign or BS 2 Republic Campaign, I could find serious bugs after all this years? I expected it to be bug free.
After so many years flying airplanes in simulators I was atracted to fly something different...

I'm interested too in A10-C, MiG-21bis and M-2000C modules, I heard they are very good for SP. The F/A-18C looks amazing but not until out of early acess.
The campaign, single player missions or training missions of these realeased modules can have bugs that won't let me play?

Thanks for your help guys

#4424774 - 06/05/18 10:51 PM Re: Modules with training and SP? [Re: Gattsu]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I'm no expert on what bugs exist but simply put, ED still breaks things with each patch and I would not be surprised if they break campaigns as well. Take a look at the changelog and updates thread here and you will notice that campaigns are "updated" or fixed or "corrected" but they don't go into more detail than that wink Some bugs may exist before and are simply part of the package now.

You can still play these campaigns and maybe you will notice the bugs, maybe you won't, but just keep in mind that ED still hasn't improved much as a developer over the last few years. In the end, it is up to you whether to spend your money with ED, but I advise you to do as much research as you can before spending your hard-earned cash.

Having said that, the A10C and BS2 modules are one of ED's best if not THE best modules ED has put out. Hopefully someone with the campaign itself can speak up and vouch for how good it is or how many bugs it has and if it's enough to affect gameplay.

- Ice
#4424800 - 06/06/18 12:52 AM Re: Modules with training and SP? [Re: Gattsu]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Fixes due to platform changes which break older missions only happen if there are still potential sales for that product. The older the module the less likely fixes are, thus Ka-50 gets practically none. The AI is bust, Shkval doesn't see illumination rounds,etc. A Harrier module will still get fixes because it's still being sold.

The BS2 "dynamic" campaign is pretty awful. The linear story one is pretty good. There's only one A-10C campaign and it's dull as toast. It's JDAMs on static tanks from 25,000' with no time limit.

#4424945 - 06/06/18 09:45 PM Re: Modules with training and SP? [Re: Gattsu]  
Gattsu Offline
Gattsu  Offline

Barcelona (Spain)
I'm very disappointed in the steps and direction of ED. Nearly ten years has passed and we don't have a good dynamic campaign nor a good multirole aircraft finished.
F/A-18C is finally here (early acces) but without a good campaign or missions...

Does Falcon BMS have training missions like DCS modules? I heard a lot are deleted or unsupported. A developer said on youtube that is a feature they want to integrate at the future. Falcon BMS is very atractive for a single player guy like me but very daunting without an in-game "tutorial" to ease the first steps.

Thanks for all the help smile

#4424946 - 06/06/18 09:55 PM Re: Modules with training and SP? [Re: Gattsu]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
BMS 4.33 does come with a set of training missions and a very comprehensive training manual.

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
#4424949 - 06/06/18 10:12 PM Re: Modules with training and SP? [Re: Gattsu]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
Because of the E/A release of the modules, having dedicated training missions tied to that would be a wasted effort. The module will continue to evolve and grow, quickly making the training missions obsolete.

The E/A reviewers tend to wring out the product and create their own decent tutorials that are easy to follow before flying.

#4425032 - 06/07/18 01:30 PM Re: Modules with training and SP? [Re: Gattsu]  
BrettT Offline
BrettT  Offline

Louisiana
Hi Gattsu,

My experience has been that I find you-tube to be a better source for tutorials than dedicated training missions pretty much across the board.

Like you, I am only involved on the single player side of things. Along those lines I have found the campaigns for the M2000 and the Huey to be a lot of fun. One thing I liked about them is that each mission in the campaign seemed to have you drill a little deeper into the module an learn something new about it (new system, new weapon employment, etc). I also really enjoyed the F-15C Red Flag Campaign. It is true that DCS updates can sometimes break some missions in the campaign but some of the campaigns allow you to skip those missions or you can just fly the missions sequentially through the single mission interface instead of the campaign interface if there is one that is causing the campaign to get hung up.

A Falcon 4 dynamic type of campaign would be fun, but for me is a no go at this time due to having been bit by the VR bug and as far as I know Falcon doesn't work in VR at this time.

Best Wishes,

Brett

#4425098 - 06/07/18 11:02 PM Re: Modules with training and SP? [Re: Gattsu]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

BMS, currently (not including the old 4.32 TEs and the F4.0 manual text) has OK training missions. They are not comprehensive but rather "hot topic" spot instructions like Mavericks and TFR.

#4425757 - 06/12/18 02:06 PM Re: Modules with training and SP? [Re: Gattsu]  
Gattsu Offline
Gattsu  Offline

Barcelona (Spain)
I have a lot of questions regarding BMS flight model and the detail of training missions. With Wings Over Flanders Fields, wich has a fantastic dynamic campaign and AI like Falcon, I found the "feel" of flying model very subpar compared to RoF. The modded engine still feel outdated.

I fear that Falcon BMS compared to DCS can be the same. But GOG has summer sales and for 4€ there is no better way than to try smile Thanks guys for encouraging me.

#4425782 - 06/12/18 05:03 PM Re: Modules with training and SP? [Re: Gattsu]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
The F-16 flight model in BMS 4.33 has to be about as good as you will get on a PC, however if talking about your own personal feel of flight then that is something different, nothing to do with FM accuracy.

The training manual is very detailed but does assume a basic knowledge of a few things, there are no baby step training missions like DCS where each control is ringed for you - however this is a massive improvement over 4.32 when there was pretty much nothing.

To get the most out of BMS it is a massive commitment in terms of time and learning all the systems even more so if WW1 was your thing.

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
#4425803 - 06/12/18 07:42 PM Re: Modules with training and SP? [Re: Gattsu]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gattsu
I have a lot of questions regarding BMS flight model and the detail of training missions. With Wings Over Flanders Fields, wich has a fantastic dynamic campaign and AI like Falcon, I found the "feel" of flying model very subpar compared to RoF. The modded engine still feel outdated.

I fear that Falcon BMS compared to DCS can be the same. But GOG has summer sales and for 4€ there is no better way than to try smile Thanks guys for encouraging me.

Feel free to ask questions on the Falcon 4.0 sub-forum here and I'm sure you'll get the help you need or you can be pointed in the direction that will help you out.

- Ice

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.