Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4422024 - 05/21/18 11:06 PM Re: Cougar Kills Mountain Biker in Washington State [Re: Haggart]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I used to hike a lot and always carried when I went into the woods, I never saw cougars (the 4 legged kind at any rate) but encountered bears, coyotes and people who gave me a bad vibe on plenty of occasions.

I found that the places where you had to be on your guard the most where areas that were frequented just enough to make you hesitate bringing an adequate means of protection along with you.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4422029 - 05/21/18 11:43 PM Re: Cougar Kills Mountain Biker in Washington State [Re: NH2112]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by NH2112
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by NH2112
Anyone see this yet?

Yes I saw it. Classic case of people thinking that wild animals are in fact the cuddly, lovable creatures that you see on kid's cartoons.

IDIOTS.

If it hasn’t been for the children who had no choice in the matter, I would have been rooting for the cheetahs. Darwin needs to be brought back, too many unfit people are surviving to breed.

Then the animals would be shot for a mistake they didnt commit,i can't believe we are in 2018 and people still believe this #%&*$# that if you let an animal kill a human he will continue to do that.......not dumb numb.....they like easier meal and humans are not appealing to wild animals, not enough fat or meat and i saw some researcher said we dont taste good either.

Last edited by Blade_RJ; 05/21/18 11:43 PM.
#4422031 - 05/21/18 11:59 PM Re: Cougar Kills Mountain Biker in Washington State [Re: Haggart]  
Chef Offline
Chef  Offline

North Carolina
I'm still far more concerned about the 2 legged predators when I go in the forest for a walk than the 4 legged kind. This cougar attack was an exception. I won't judge the guy that ran away because I haven't walked in his shoes (and hopefully never will) but I would hope I would have stood my ground and helped a friend defend themselves against an attack like that. Now if it was a co-worker outing...there are some I might have deliberately tripped. Heck, I might even have sprinkled some blood or Meow-Mix on a few of them.

The road less traveled is filled with fewer needy people.
#4422034 - 05/22/18 12:25 AM Re: Cougar Kills Mountain Biker in Washington State [Re: Haggart]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I've mentioned this before but I had a bear cub suddenly emerge from the brush and plop itself in the grass right beside a fairly busy forested park trail that I was jogging along. It freaked me out not in the least because for a few moments my vision looked EXACTLY like you'd see with stutter framerates in a video game.

I tried to warn people off further up the trail, but of course a bunch of random idiots had to go and try to film the bear with their phones, and of course they soon bolted back in a panic when another cub and momma bear turned up.

#4422251 - 05/23/18 01:52 PM Re: Cougar Kills Mountain Biker in Washington State [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Pepper spray is a very good thing to carry while in wilderness areas that have populations of cougar and bear plus a firearm in your backpack as last resort.

Jim ...."Heading for the Tetons on vacation this next month. More then likely will encounter many tourists doing stupid things to the wildlife. Last trip to Yellowstone was a circus with idiots"

a 23 yr old in the 1980's .... jumped into one of the scalding ponds of Yellowstone because his dog had jumped in to get something. People saw him about to jump in to rescue his dog and yelled at him not to. He replied, "like hell i won't"....... he jumped in and swam out and grabbed his dog ..... then let go of his dog and swam back. His friend got him on dry land. His eyes were completely white ...he was blind. He said...."that was a stupid thing to do - how do i look?" His flesh was coming off his body. He died the next day at the hospital.

A 24 yr old in 2016 ..... went to look for a warm thermal pool to soak in with his younger sister. He fell in not realizing the extreme temperature and acidity of the water. His sister went for help. When park rangers got there they couldn't find any trace of him except a few articles of clothing...his body had been completely dissolved by the acidic waters. Nothing left for his family to bury ....no goodbyes.

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4422253 - 05/23/18 01:55 PM Re: Cougar Kills Mountain Biker in Washington State [Re: Haggart]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Really sad stories you posted there Haggart but also stories that should serve as a lesson that mother nature and the universe do not forgive sheer stupidity.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4422335 - 05/23/18 10:41 PM Re: Cougar Kills Mountain Biker in Washington State [Re: Haggart]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
NSFW

Written about this incident.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4422489 - 05/24/18 08:04 PM Re: Cougar Kills Mountain Biker in Washington State [Re: Haggart]  
Outlaw Offline
One of the Original Four
Outlaw  Offline
One of the Original Four

The Great Northwest...
I live in the Pacific Northwest and I've had exactly one encounter with a Mt Lion...

I had no clue it was sitting on a tree limb 20ft in front of me and about 10ft above me. You ever have a funny feeling that something isn't right? I had that feeling, stopped, looked up, and he/she was looking right at me, tail swinging back and forth below it.

I stood there for a second and thought "what now?". I do carry when I'm out in the woods, but the thought to kill it never entered my mind. I simply stay composed, kept my eye on him (and my hand on my gun) a walked backwards away from it. It was not a very good feeling, and I had a few extra drinks with the folks back at camp.

#4422492 - 05/24/18 08:22 PM Re: Cougar Kills Mountain Biker in Washington State [Re: Haggart]  
muffinstomp Offline
muffinstomp  Offline

... was actually expecting some mature pictures in here. But... wrong forum, right? biggrin

#4422516 - 05/24/18 09:42 PM Re: Cougar Kills Mountain Biker in Washington State [Re: Haggart]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
i dont know if it was here or reddit, but i read that pepper spray doesnt really work on bears

#4422524 - 05/24/18 10:21 PM Re: Cougar Kills Mountain Biker in Washington State [Re: Haggart]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Those were mountain bikers? Riding bloody street bikes it would seem. Mountain lions do not like bikes unless they are mountain bikes

#4422545 - 05/25/18 12:29 AM Re: Cougar Kills Mountain Biker in Washington State [Re: Haggart]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Well, bear spray is not your run of the mill in the girls purse "pepper spray".

If ya squirt em in the arm to try and wound them it is probably not very effective.

As I have said a gazillion times before, those cellar dwellers at reddit should ask mom to fund a trip outside once in a while, to back up their expert opinions.

Just a very recent example:

Kornak was able to grab her Mace-like bear spray while being mauled and blasted the grizzly, ending the attack.

One of very many incidents where Bear Spray saved a life

If I lived in an inner city I would have Bear Spray, not that pussy mace crap.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.