Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
#4421564 - 05/19/18 01:25 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: - Ice]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Because we can already begin to fly basic training (flight characteristics, form, refuel etc) and DACT (ACM/BFM) with it, as well as begin including it in larger missions. Some squads will be switching to it right away and we want to include them in larger missions etc. As more capabilities are delivered, mission complexity and threat level will ramp up.

As for the terrain, well, it's more terrain to fly over and gives more variety to missions.

Originally Posted by - Ice
To those that have pre-purchased either or both modules, can I ask why would you buy now and not wait for a more complete product, especially for the Hornet? Can I also ask how many and which of the DCS products you own? I'm thinking if you only have a few modules and you're buying the Hornet because, well, it's the Hornet, then fair enough or if you are a completist and must-have-everything, then again, fair enough, but for others??

--
44th VFW
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4421568 - 05/19/18 01:32 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
"I want to support...."
I totally understand this logic. I have pre-ordered games in the past which granted me early access to the game and on two of them, I backed out of the project and got my money back after I realized the game was not going in the direction I was hoping it would. A few other games, most recently HBS's BattleTech and Eugen's Steel Division, I have backed as much as I can because I like where the game is going and I liked the bonuses included in the pre-orders. I got some sweet BattleTech swag as well!!

[Linked Image]

For me, pre-ordering is a statement of support, especially if the goodies you get are only electronic in nature. For physical items such as board games or card games or RPGs, pre-ordering is also a guarantee of getting the items on launch and not having to wait for a re-print or a re-shipment of the stuff I want. However, only "statement of support" seems to be applicable to ED which is then rendered useless due to ED not really caring about you as a customer, will ban you on their forums if you put a foot wrong, does not strive for realistic release timeframes, and by the time the product is decently complete, it will be 3-4 years down the line and the module is included in bundle sales or 30%-50% off sales anyway so you'll probably get it cheaper than the pre-purchase price! The only question at that point is would buying in early mean you get a better experience over those 3-4 years compared to someone who just jumps in on a more complete product? I would wager that paying to be a beta tester isn't worth any savings in pricing especially when talking about ED as devs.

This is why I am asking people who have pre-ordered -- why would you do this? Do you have a reason I am unaware of?

- Ice
#4421571 - 05/19/18 01:38 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: GrayGhost]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by GrayGhost
Because we can already begin to fly basic training (flight characteristics, form, refuel etc) and DACT (ACM/BFM) with it, as well as begin including it in larger missions. Some squads will be switching to it right away and we want to include them in larger missions etc. As more capabilities are delivered, mission complexity and threat level will ramp up.

Ah yes! "My squadron will be starting Hornet ops ASAP" is a good one and a valid one. If I were part of such a squadron, that just might be enough to tip me over the edge and pre-order. Thank you for that insight!

I probably shouldn't be asking this but are there any good squadrons that are Hornet-ops focused? Would be nice to join one, but then I am thinking I'll just be like a carrier-capable F-15 with even more limited A-A capabilities (less radar modes, no AIM-120) than the FC3 F-15....

- Ice
#4421581 - 05/19/18 02:21 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: - Ice]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Not mine specifically but we do grab airframes for DACT - F-5E for training and some aggressor stuff; great DACT within FC-3. Our aicraft is the F-15C ... probably won't see a DCS version of it but ah well. Our business is to know 'their' business biggrin

Regarding hornet squadrons, there are many popping up and some which were working on their flying skills for a while in anticipation of this (a few are pure 18, many are going 14+18).

The F-18 in game will have more capability than the FC3 eagle. Once completed, you'll see most of the A2A radar modes that the eagle would have.

Ah yes! "My squadron will be starting Hornet ops ASAP" is a good one and a valid one. If I were part of such a squadron, that just might be enough to tip me over the edge and pre-order. Thank you for that insight!

I probably shouldn't be asking this but are there any good squadrons that are Hornet-ops focused? Would be nice to join one, but then I am thinking I'll just be like a carrier-capable F-15 with even more limited A-A capabilities (less radar modes, no AIM-120) than the FC3 F-15....

--
44th VFW
#4421583 - 05/19/18 02:24 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: - Ice]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
finally I managed to get 2.5 briefly to run, so I can answer this:

This is why I am asking people who have pre-ordered -- why would you do this? Do you have a reason I am unaware of?

for curiosity sake

but I'll wait a bit - too much to do in Il-2 and P3D right now

no sense in buying anything you won't have time to try, but yes, but only when I have the free time I'll give it a try.

#4421591 - 05/19/18 03:19 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

I'll wait. The A-10 was the last airframe that was completed enough to my satisfaction that I was not unhappy I purchased it. Everything since, well we all know the score. I might buy the terrain.

#4421598 - 05/19/18 03:52 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
I am so busy with the skins I haven't even had time to grab Orbx Netherlands EU ... oddly enough I never was much into terrains that were not photoreal, this is the first from Orbx that is.

is the Hormuz map photoreal or is it like the Nevada map ?

#4421622 - 05/19/18 06:27 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: xXNightEagleXx]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx

I really cannot understand pre-purchases logic anymore.

For these modules it is simple, you get it for a cheaper price than you will at launch. Obviously it will be on sale for less in the future, but how long will that be? 6-9 months? I'm sure it will be down to $25 just like NTTR was, but that will likely take a year or more. Some people would prefer to own it now rather than later.

I've gotten a little bored of the NTTR Map, while I like it, I find it too limited. There isn't a single other flight sim out there that interests me outside of DCS. I have RoF and some IL-2 games a try but I don't care for those eras. Same for civil aviation flight sims. So the option is either stop playing all flight sims until the map goes on sale for less, or pre-order the map. I'm thinking of doing the Hornet simply because it is an aircraft I am very interested in. I can get other planes for less that may be more feature complete... but why buy something I only have a tiny interest in? Sometimes it is worth spending a bit more to get what you really want. But I'm really not sure about the Hornet (very feature incomplete). I'll have to make up my mind in the next few days I suppose.

#4421712 - 05/20/18 11:55 AM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: Flogger23m]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

The F-18 in game will have more capability than the FC3 eagle. Once completed, you'll see most of the A2A radar modes that the eagle would have.

No doubt about that, but then the issue here is the ED development time. God forbid they get another private contract before they finish the Hornet!

Originally Posted by Flogger23m
Obviously it will be on sale for less in the future, but how long will that be? 6-9 months?

Which is nothing in terms of ED's development time. What's a wait of 6-9 months on a development time of 2-4 years? That just brings me back to my question -- why buy a product that is, say 40% feature complete now, when you can buy it for the same price or better 9-12 months down the road and that product will be 60% feature complete at that time? What does "getting the product early" really give you aside from the pleasure of being a paying beta tester? This isn't like an MMO where early access could mean you're level 20 when others are still at level 1. A new guy starting out with the Hornet will probably be more confused 1 year later compared to an experienced simmer buying the Hornet 1 year after release when things are more laid down.

Sometimes it is worth spending a bit more to get what you really want. But I'm really not sure about the Hornet (very feature incomplete). I'll have to make up my mind in the next few days I suppose.

So you'll buy a product to help you make up your mind whether you want that product?

- Ice
#4421727 - 05/20/18 03:04 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: - Ice]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Ah yes! "My squadron will be starting Hornet ops ASAP" is a good one and a valid one. .

Wait! What! wink there are valid and invalid reasons for buying this module?

Okay Ice let me know if my reason for purchasing this module is valid or not

I like video games with airplanes in them wink

#4421755 - 05/20/18 06:09 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: bisher]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by bisher

Nope, that doesn't pass. DCS A10C should be good enough, or FC3, so why buy the Hornet? Heck, might as well get some Ace Combat games and replay the HAWX games! wink

- Ice
#4421763 - 05/20/18 06:55 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: - Ice]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US

Which is nothing in terms of ED's development time

Most people don't care about ED's development time, but rather their own time.

So you'll buy a product to help you make up your mind whether you want that product?

Re-read.

Originally Posted by bisher

You need a valid group think reason to validate how you spend your own money. Justify how you spend your money and what you like right now! wink biggrin

#4421765 - 05/20/18 07:11 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: Flogger23m]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Meaning?

Re-read.

Sorry about that, I thought you've already pre-ordered smile

You need a valid group think reason to validate how you spend your own money. Justify how you spend your money and what you like right now! wink biggrin

Funny how some people get their knickers in a twist when asked a simple question biggrin And set up strawmen too.

- Ice
#4421767 - 05/20/18 07:15 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by Flogger

I’m not so sure about that.....I would think a lot of people care about EDs development time. Especially when a new module is missing heaps of functionality and ED normally take many years to get their early-release modules which are almost feature-complete up to an acceptable standard.

The Hornet has 10 years or probably ‘never finished’ written all over it. I don’t care what other people spend their money on but I won’t be going anywhere near this for a very long time. I’ve been burned by the incompetence of ED and associated 3rd parties too many times and can see the bug list for this module being an all-time great.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4421792 - 05/20/18 10:37 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: - Ice]  
eonel Offline
eonel  Offline

Zurich, Switzerland
To those that have pre-purchased either or both modules, can I ask why would you buy now and not wait for a more complete product, especially for the Hornet? Can I also ask how many and which of the DCS products you own? I'm thinking if you only have a few modules and you're buying the Hornet because, well, it's the Hornet, then fair enough or if you are a completist and must-have-everything, then again, fair enough, but for others??

I have bought both now because I am keen to support the genre & they are discounted. In my opinion, most previous modules bought on pre-order have been an acceptable beta status when released - with the notable exception of the VEAO Hawk & borderline on the over-twitchy Gazelle. I do not think the WW2 saga was the direct responsibility of ED & am happy that they have continued dev effort when they legally could have got out of it. Still waiting for my P-47 & Me-262....

I do not believe the argument that pre-purchasing encourages lazy development & incomplete modules. Complex flight sims are a niche & developers must share our passion for it as they are not going to get rich writing software for such a small market. I do not believe that any ED or 3rd party project started out with the intent to take our money upfront & not complete the work to a satisfactory level. Sometimes it does turn out that way, but I am willing to take the risk & fund their good intentions. The more funds they get in pre-purchase, the greater their ability to fund completion/enhancement of the module.

I own all the DCS maps & aircraft modules. I own some of the campaigns ( some of which are great, a few I regret - but they are not expensive if you discount with bonus points ). I don't have the Mi-8 navigation module. I don't think I'm a completist - I wouldn't get any satisfaction just from knowing that I had purchased everything.

#4421799 - 05/20/18 10:55 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: eonel]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by eonel
but I am willing to take the risk & fund their good intentions. The more funds they get in pre-purchase, the greater their ability to fund completion/enhancement of the module.

I wish I could be in the same boat as you and have more belief in ED. Maybe if I was newer to simming or just discovered ED/DCS. Technically, I've not really been "burned" by ED as my last purchases were the Hog, Shark2, and FC3 and all of which are completed to a good level, especially compared to other modules, so part of me is thinking maybe I should give them a chance? However, I cannot simply deny ED's track record especially what's happening with 2.5. I guess it's a good thing this is a Hornet and not a Tomcat, huh? But then again, I have many fond memories of Jane's F/A-18 --- will this module complement those memories or will it highlight ED's flaws yet again? Sigh....

The fact that I cannot bring myself to set up my controls and install my modules on my PC is not really helping. Maybe I should do that and revisit my old aircraft and see how the game performs?

Originally Posted by eonel
I do not believe the argument that pre-purchasing encourages lazy development & incomplete modules.

How so? I've not been keeping tabs on development of DCS or its modules or 3rd party so others can argue about nuances better than I can, but from what I can gather, it's based on how long certain things remain broken. AMRAAM performance for instance, which is DCS-specific and not module-specific. But then how much of this is due to the ever-changing landscape of DCS Core? Hopefully once 2.5 solidifies a bit more, maybe we'll see more fixes on the various modules? Fingers crossed!

Just like Flogger's statement, there's nothing much that I'm looking forward to this year in terms of game purchases --- I just finished BattleTech and maybe Monster Hunter World if/when it comes out on PC so maybe put some money on DCS Hornet? Haha! I feel like having an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other shoulder. biggrin I guess if it were any other aircraft, it would be easier to say no, or if it were the Tomcat at which point no questions would be asked biggrin biggrin biggrin

Anyway, thanks for that insight, eonel!

- Ice
#4421839 - 05/21/18 03:38 AM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
Suicidal_6 Offline
Suicidal_6  Offline

Gulfport
I just got home from spending $77 on nachos and beer. The price of the modules is just nachos and beer to me, why not?

_ _ ______________________ _ _

S6
#4421882 - 05/21/18 11:33 AM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: Suicidal_6]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted by Suicidal_6
I just got home from spending $77 on nachos and beer. The price of the modules is just nachos and beer to me, why not?

it can cost + 30% to convert US$ in local currency : so to buy your $77 nachos and beer I would spend the equivalent of $100 to have the nachos downloaded to me biggrin

thankfully it has no postage, otherwise I would pay FOB + 100% taxes, so your $77 nachos would end costing me $200-250.

#4421892 - 05/21/18 11:59 AM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
At least you know that the nachos and beer are fit for human consumption before dropping money on them and that the person who served them isn't promising to bring the remainder to you when they're ready yep

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4421894 - 05/21/18 12:11 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
I would never order pre-alpha Beer & Nachos ... biggrin

unfortunately for anyone living outside the US - anything in dollars has become more expensive, I could buy a top of the line 4K SONY were I live for the price of the 1080 I bought a couple a year ago from Amazon.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.