Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4420387 - 05/12/18 03:52 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Schubladentiger]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by Schubladentiger
I failed to get my own nephews interested-there's so much else to do, a pc loses next to a ps4.

It really depends on what types of games you enjoy playing and unless I'm mistaken, a lot of game types are not available on console.

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4420403 - 05/12/18 05:02 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Spidey]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted by Spidey
So an Ace Combat gamer is not likely to go to a PC flight sim...even if there are good compelling ones.

I'm one who did make this jump. Before my Playstation 2 and Ace Combat 4, I had only a passing phase with MSFS5 on DOS, a few years prior. I learned to do VOR navigation, and made a handfull of trips in the Cessna, but consoles were my main gaming time.

The flight combat experiences in AC4 were on my mind when I was swayed away from buying Front Mission 3 for PS2 (turn based mech combat), and bought IL2 instead. The beginning of a long and enjoyable PC simulations hobby. And for the last year or two now, my time in tactical combat simulations has branched me off into tabletop wargaming.

Last edited by adlabs6; 05/12/18 05:03 PM.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4420408 - 05/12/18 05:24 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: - Ice]  
Schubladentiger Offline
Schubladentiger  Offline

Concerning ps4,I was referring to my nephews. Both have pc from me/ built by me. The older nephew has one that can run arma3 but all their friends have consoles/ps4.They would not invest much into a gaming pc.

#4420439 - 05/12/18 09:44 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Schubladentiger]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Schubladentiger
Concerning ps4,I was referring to my nephews. Both have pc from me/ built by me. The older nephew has one that can run arma3 but all their friends have consoles/ps4.They would not invest much into a gaming pc.

Yeah, they play with their friends so that has a big influence on them especially when consoles can go online now and play with buddies online, so that's a big influence on their choice of games and gaming platform.

- Ice
#4420663 - 05/14/18 10:54 AM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Mr.Fork]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Almost all the games I play are only available on PC so I have zero incentive to get a console system.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4420718 - 05/14/18 03:18 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Mr.Fork]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I think I'll only play side-scrollers or the likes of Super Mario on a console and fighting games like Tekken. I used to have a PS2 to play Gran Turismo 3 and later on a PS3 for the same racing game but didn't really last very long as I didn't like the almost-nonexistent damage modelling after playing rFactor and realizing that my racing style differed depending on the damage modelling present.

We now only have a Wii U for the boys to play Mario Kart and Pokken. I'm tempted to buy a PS4 to play The Last of Us and Horizons Zero Dawn and Monster Hunter, but none of those games I can play with a gamepad so it's easy to stay away.

- Ice
#4420997 - 05/16/18 08:13 AM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Mr.Fork]  
Flappy613 Offline
Flappy613  Offline

Tigard, Oregon U.S.A.
Well I for one aren’t dead, I’ve just been restin.

Seriously, back 2 OT, I’ve somewhat lost interest in the years.

NOT that I don’t check the forums, it’s just that with RL drama related to my line of endeavor I tend to slam through everything and posting here takes time and thought as I would’nt want to appear foolish and I’m a bit short of both here lately. Plus, back in ‘12 I got bit inadvertently by a sleeping giant, my motorcycle habit. It started innocuously enough, a couple of used dirt bikes- a YZ85 for my Son and a FAR too scary CRF450R for me. Some horse trading and we ended up where we should be; me on a ‘13 YZ250 and him on an ‘05 125. Hit the dirt for a couple of years, bought a big XR650 and started dreaming of Baja. Not that I’m EVER going to get away from the HE double hockey sticks that is my daily grind at night for skittles, but I’ve managed to at least get myself in a CONDTION to go if the opportunity ever arises. Quit smoking after the first year and drinking the next, the last drink I had was an entire bottle of Erath Pinot reserve that I had been saving after I/we lost a court case.

But in ALL that time I’d still keep checking here, watching to see if Star Citizen ever delivered ANYTHING, the status of Elite and to see the ebb and flow of simulation gaming in general.

To be honest I USED to participate more on Simhqmotorsports but since that has apparently gone the discord route I go to Racedepartment. Not a lot of moto content, but there isn’t much in general because of not many games, and they have a virus free database of downloads for my racing sims. Not really playing anything that isn’t VR since getting a CV1 for Christmas, so 4K skins and tracks for Assetto Corsa and rFactor2 has become a thing. Apparently my GTX1080 is worth more NOW than when I bought it due to bitcoin, but I couldn’t care less. I’ve moved over to P3DV4.2 and it runs well enough for my purposes in VR without the Flyinside overhead for FSX. I’m trying to figure out cold start launch procedures for the TacPack Superbug and having a blast doing so, and I can’t even get my beloved Mk.1 Spit off the ground in the new IL-2!

Great days to be a simmer for sure, but Facebook will have it’s due. Bought a Rift so they got the money for that, but I generally don’t live my life there or on my phone so good luck monetizing the Oculus Store Vs. my already formidable Steam collection.

Also, the point to my post was to encourage whoever runs this place NOT to kill it in the light of social media. There is a LOT of good articles, tips and tricks and just plain horse sense in these Fora and their loss would be a tradgedy. Not to mention the download section HERE which probably has a good deal of patches and wisdom unavailable anywhere else.

I quit simming so much due to time and connection with my Son who was rapidly descending into madness with his best friend and his Xbox360. I became concerned at not only his weight but my own, and my blood pressure and diabetes were out of control. So I quit smoking and drinking, bought a 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx and set about to lose almost ten inches off my waistline, over 50 pounds and fourty points or so off of my B/P. I’m in better shape than I have been since I WAS a teenager and I have absolutely NO doubts that I could finish a Baja 500 IRL with my Tiger. We might not finish WELL, but we WILL finish.

And as for my Son and his friend they put aside the consoles. They both are fine young men, employed in Motorcycling and the other serving his country honorably in the United Stes Marine Corps ROTC and going to college. They are complete men in ALL things, and understand things in balance far greater than my own understanding of it. They are ready and capable to meet the future head-on, not with a game controller or a face full of Cheetos, but with discipline, perseverance and belief in themselves and in their abilities. Things like hard work and sweat that seem so out of fashion with the slackers today. My Son and his friend know how and why we open the door for ladies and say please and thank you. It may not be fashionable but it IS practical- in a world of graspy, me first types a bit of discipline is going to stick out amongst the civilized people and grant him access where savages won’t be allowed because of their coarse manner. Sorry if that seems harsh to my fellow PNW USA liberal types, but there it is.

But I don’t mean to stereotype anyone, it’s just that having missed being in my own care home by my lifestyle I’ve become a bit of a boob about Facebook, the Internet in general and gaming in particular. Especially now that I have a Rift I can see what Larry Niven used to describe as “Wireheads” and I’m waiting to hear the news about someone dying while wearing Oculus and playing Starcraft or something. Especially what with the FB integration from Oculus Home like it is, it’ll probably Livestream or something complete with updates as to the User’s vitals so we’ll know when they croak. God, I’m cynical sorry. I just REALLY dislike FB’s takeover of everything, makes us vulnerable (as well as DUMB).

Main gear case with z370, 9900k @5ghz, 64gb 3600 DDR With more ssds than you can shake a stick at
Logitech G13,G25,G29,G940, Thrustmaster Warthog FCS with T rudder, TCA Airbus Sidestick with two quadrants
32” Sammy monitor and Oculus Rift CV1, Samsung Odyssey+ Vive Cosmos Elite
#4421113 - 05/16/18 10:00 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Flappy613]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

I found this very fine site during my quest to get the European Air War game up and running. With the very kind help of folks here, I succeeded beyond my wildest dreams, and found altogether new, and vastly upgraded versions of the game, available for free.

In my experience, most forums die either because of over-moderation, or under-moderation. Of course, if the forum has a narrow focus, then unless the forum adapts to changing times, it will necessarily stagnate and die.

I make a point to suggest the appropriate forum within this site to gamers, and perhaps that is something for all to consider.

Submitted for your consideration.

#4421383 - 05/18/18 01:36 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Flappy613]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I enjoyed reading that, Flappy613. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the lifestyle changes.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.