Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4420069 - 05/10/18 04:56 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Mr.Fork]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I also miss the fact that we used to have several regularly posting female members. It was really great getting to read their input on different topics including flight sims of course. Now I think we are down to one female member who posts from time to time.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4420072 - 05/10/18 05:04 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Mr.Fork]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
I haven't seen a post by any of our female members in quite a few years. frown

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4420078 - 05/10/18 05:27 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by DBond
If I were a new player and new to this site, how comfortable would I be posting noob questions? In a thread like this some time ago I suggested that everyone take the time to send a friendly welcome to a new member. It's easy to see who they are, and personally I make it a point to welcome new guys to the site. If a guy shows up here and is brave enough to post, the last thing we should do is rip him apart. A friendly welcome makes him feel accepted, and part of the community. I was a noob once too.

How often do we get new members? The BMS forum has a sub-forum dedicated for new guys saying Hi! and greeting them in return.

Where is this "new guy posts and he is ripped apart" that you speak of? The only time I am aware of this happening was when an old poster returns under the guise of a new handle and pretends not to know his old personas.

- Ice
#4420093 - 05/10/18 06:42 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Mr.Fork]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Like you say Ice, I can't really remember any insta-kill even in DCS forum here besides those "known" based on their posting style but under different accounts - BUT, to someone new (as been an example in this thread) it surely looks very toxic since a new member will not know the history of these "repeating offenders" smile

I can only hope newcomers will stay long enough to see the pattern.

#4420109 - 05/10/18 07:29 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Mr.Fork]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
I wouldn’t say I was “ripped apart” but I remember my first impressions when I was a new join were pretty off putting. I don’t see it happen as much if at all these days, but back then it was pretty common. Was a big part of why I read the forums and rarely posted. I will also add that I think a lot of the posters in question don’t come around these parts anymore, for whatever reason.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
#4420111 - 05/10/18 07:34 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: VMIalpha454]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by VMIalpha454
I wouldn’t say I was “ripped apart” but I remember my first impressions when I was a new join were pretty off putting. I don’t see it happen as much if at all these days, but back then it was pretty common. Was a big part of why I read the forums and rarely posted. I will also add that I think a lot of the posters in question don’t come around these parts anymore, for whatever reason.

They have run off all their victims and have moved on to other forums to spread their brand of good cheer.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4420114 - 05/10/18 07:50 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Mr.Fork]  
RossUK Offline
RossUK  Offline

Eastbourne, UK
I don't post as often as I should. Have 4 kids, busy life etc but that is the same for everyone who still find the time to make more effort.

All I know, I read most of the posts here. I feel at home here and would miss it greatly if it went.

#4420117 - 05/10/18 08:13 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: theOden]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by theOden
Originally Posted by - Ice
We need new blood, not just as a forum but the simulation genre as a whole.

So true.
I think we/genre need something like FC3 created by someone serious rather than ED.

Agreed. When your choices are study sims and nothing else it is hard to get people into flight sims. There is a new Ace Combat coming out this year but the jump from that to DCS is massive. A good middle ground sim is likely needed. The WWII planes may be easier to learn but they're a lot less forgiving when it comes to flight.

I know there is War Thunder but I don't exactly count that as the same genre. The majority of the players of free to play MMOs don't care much about the subject matter but rather are addicted to the mental reward of grinding or spending = rewarding and stimulating. And dozens of concessions and whatnot have to be added to carry it a long, such as Hello Kitty tank/plane skins ect.

Unfortunately any vehicle type game is a niche. All of the flight shooters, tank games and whatnot have died off outside of a few free to play games. Ace Combat was close to getting the axe a number of times. I believe it is the only survivor left. Back in the early 2000s there were lots of flight games, tank / mech and games that mixed them. These days they're all dead.

#4420121 - 05/10/18 08:34 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: RossUK]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Sorry to hear that, VM. Was it on the DCS sub-forum by any chance? As has been cited before, the atmoshpere there is partly due to the sim itself. Other sub-forums fare much, much better. smile However, I noticed your join date as 2012 and IIRC, DCS was doing quite well at that time and I was most likely still flying DCS A10C so your experience should've been much better?

Originally Posted by RossUK
All I know, I read most of the posts here. I feel at home here and would miss it greatly if it went.

+1

- Ice
#4420133 - 05/10/18 10:02 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: - Ice]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Originally Posted by - Ice
Sorry to hear that, VM. Was it on the DCS sub-forum by any chance? As has been cited before, the atmoshpere there is partly due to the sim itself. Other sub-forums fare much, much better. smile However, I noticed your join date as 2012 and IIRC, DCS was doing quite well at that time and I was most likely still flying DCS A10C so your experience should've been much better?

No, it wasn't the DCS forum at that time. Back then I was just getting into complex flight sims. I was most active on the RoF forum in the beginning. I don't mean to imply that everyone acted that way when I was new, just that some did and if I weren't such a glutton for punishment I would have gone along my merry way, lol. Many others were helpful and in time I got to interact with some great guys through this site.

I will say that there tends to be a lot of negativity among simmers even amidst new development when it actually takes place. I get it, to a degree. With so little output and so many hopes, it is easy to get really invested into the game that appears to be bringing your dreams to life. But it is important to realize that if the game doesn't turn out exactly as we want it, that is ok, too. I guess there is a fine line. What I saw in the BoS forum when it was initially released was justified dissatisfaction, IMO. What I see, mainly on their forum admittedly, concerning their potential Pacific foray, is mostly unjustified squabbling. I think that kind of thing, once encountered often here, turns people away. I know it had that effect on me.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
#4420134 - 05/10/18 10:04 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Mr.Fork]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
* Mech games are not dead. There’s a mech renaissance going on now. thumbsup

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4420155 - 05/11/18 12:01 AM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Mr.Fork]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
The reality is that PC gamers are becoming more console gamers.

Console gamers are becoming casual gamers on the phone and tablets.

New gamers are more of the tablet and console crowd. You rarely see the evolution in reverse. You won't see a tablet or phone gamet graduating to PC gaming in their lifetime. So an Ace Combat gamer is not likely to go to a PC flight sim...even if there are good compelling ones.

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#4420158 - 05/11/18 12:15 AM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Spidey]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Originally Posted by Spidey
The reality is that PC gamers are becoming more console gamers.

Console gamers are becoming casual gamers on the phone and tablets.

New gamers are more of the tablet and console crowd. You rarely see the evolution in reverse. You won't see a tablet or phone gamet graduating to PC gaming in their lifetime. So an Ace Combat gamer is not likely to go to a PC flight sim...even if there are good compelling ones.

I have seen the opposite of this happening lately, though it may just be unique to my situation. Two years ago I was one of the only PC gamers at my work. Now there are probably 10 or more. All of those gamers graduated to PC from consoles. They play similar games to what they played on console, but are gradually branching out into other types of games as they are exposed to them and able to try them out. I have yet to find one of these converts who regrets making the jump to PC. I think the gradual morphing of consoles into gaming PCs on the hardware end has a lot to do with it.

As far as being involved with flight sims...most really love War Thunder. I don't know how likely they would be to undertake an in depth flight sim though. It takes a special breed to overcome the steep initial learning curve for that type of game...

Last edited by VMIalpha454; 05/11/18 12:16 AM.

#4420166 - 05/11/18 01:01 AM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Spidey]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

No, it wasn't the DCS forum at that time. Back then I was just getting into complex flight sims. I was most active on the RoF forum in the beginning. I don't mean to imply that everyone acted that way when I was new, just that some did and if I weren't such a glutton for punishment I would have gone along my merry way, lol. Many others were helpful and in time I got to interact with some great guys through this site.

I see, thanks for explaining. Yes, glutton for punishment -- that's what helps us get through the manual and get to flying! smile

Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
* Mech games are not dead. There’s a mech renaissance going on now. thumbsup

O RLY? biggrin biggrin biggrin

Originally Posted by Spidey
So an Ace Combat gamer is not likely to go to a PC flight sim...even if there are good compelling ones.

I've since brought a couple of new friends over and showed them my rig. While all were amazed at such a setup, only two really want to do serious flight sims. One guy can't at the moment due to family (new baby) and the other guy can't since he just got here from the Philippines but he's interested because he wanted to be an airline pilot prior to life taking over frown

- Ice
#4420169 - 05/11/18 01:14 AM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Mr.Fork]  
Rambler Offline
Rambler  Offline

Houston, TX
Sums up these threads:

Someone mentioned Ace Combat. Can't wait for 7. More fun and engaging than DCS will ever be. Don't have time to play wannabe fighter pilot anymore.

#4420190 - 05/11/18 10:43 AM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I don't know how likely they would be to undertake an in depth flight sim though. It takes a special breed to overcome the steep initial learning curve for that type of game...

I would say less than 10% would make the transition. It's been my observation that once someone feels like they have to actually read procedures, learn how to map joystick/HOTAS commands and practice many times in order to be able to do basic things with the aircraft that they no longer find it fun and will drop it.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4420217 - 05/11/18 01:06 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Mr.Fork]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
I don't know. Everything is cyclical. They may welcome the challenge of something beyond swiping a finger across a small screen.
Let's remember how excited we were to be 'simulating' air combat with Ultra Realistic stuff. smile

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4420218 - 05/11/18 01:09 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
I don't know. Everything is cyclical.

Stuff like fashion, music and toys are cyclical. Human nature is not.

Panem et circensis baby. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/11/18 01:10 PM.

#4420221 - 05/11/18 01:17 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
BLiTZKRiEG Offline
BLiTZKRiEG  Offline

MEXiCO D.F.
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
Every forum needs moderation to keep things civil. That's better than no forum at all.

Very true.

But only as long as it does not get as hilarious, biased and blatantly one-sided as on SuSi.

I have run, moderated and cosysoped forums and boards since almost 30 years and by experience I can say that the best moderation is the one you hardly every see and maintains consistency.

#4420374 - 05/12/18 02:09 PM Re: So...is SIMHQ dead? [Re: Mr.Fork]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
All Forums are social media, it is just the ones that look different and are run by massive corporations that seem to have all the traffic. smile

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.