Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4419176 - 05/04/18 08:54 PM Catching up with Run 8  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
It's been awhile since I posted anything rail related so I thought I'd try and catch up with Run 8. Version 2, which includes some loving to the graphics and some AI that helps flesh out the main line running trains and makes dispatching a lot more interesting (get enough trains running and you could easily just play this as an RTC), has seen three expansions in the past year. Two of the expansion sets add more track miles to Southern California operations; BNSF Seligman West now advances the old Needles Sub all the way into Arizona and is well rendered. Run 8 Studios has also more recently released BNSF San Bernardino Sub- Los Angeles to tie into the Cajon Sub. There are now a lot more locals to operate if thats your thing, as well as AMTRAK and the plethora of freight movements. One expansion for the East was also recently released, CSX Waycross now carries on the CSX A-Line further (this one I don't have yet so won't comment further to be fair).

For those still on the fence about Multiplayer, the AI in Version 2 is a decent set up-- you can also go into the editor and change up times, spawns, and so on to suit your needs-- and you see operating trains, can do roll-by's, be a foamer/anorak, do MoW work under the gun without worrying about some numpty ruining your session. There are still some really good online groups to get involved with (e.g., The Depot) if thats your thing too.

Kind regards,
Dave

Currently dabbling in;
WOTR/BoF, Naval Action! also Run 8,
IL2BOS/BOM smile

"Once again we have failed to die."-- old naval toast
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4419252 - 05/05/18 06:11 PM Re: Catching up with Run 8 [Re: Leaf85]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Is it worth it to upgrade from Version1? I remember looking but could not find an Upgrade 1 to Upgrade 2 pricing? Or are there no discounts for version 1 owners?

- Ice
#4419293 - 05/06/18 12:58 AM Re: Catching up with Run 8 [Re: Leaf85]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
Hi Ice,

By purchasing the V2 basic set now includes the following-- taken from the Run 8 Studios web page;

Included Routes and Features
*UP-BNSF Mojave Sub
Includes Tehachapi Pass and the Palmdale cutoff betwen Mojave and Hiland
*Barstow-Yermo Yards
Includes working hump at Barstow with retarder brake squeal sounds.
*BNSF Needles Sub
*Includes a cool new shadow system (included in the latest update).
*Includes new environmental lighting and weather systems (clouds, thunderstorms, fog).
*Includes smart AI locomotive engineers that obey signal indications and track speeds.
*Includes an improved track and switch system (looks mobetta).
*Includes the ability to create a true train simulator world by being able to merge routes with new routes such as the BNSF Cajon Sub and the future BNSF Seligman Sub and BNSF Bakersfield Sub.
*Includes working defect detectors which produce actual random defects to fix.
*Includes accurate signal systems and dispatcher boards for routing player and AI train movements.
*Extensive help documentation.
*Version 2 is compatiable with version 1 content!

The V2 upgrade then affects the other sets like Cajon Sub, CSX A-Line, and iirc the Selkirk/Mohawk routes. They've made it easy to import V1 route sets into V2- just follow their instructions. Any extra packs of locomotives, and or rolling stock you may have already purchased in Version 1 are fully compatible and seem to be upgraded into V2 versions.

Is it worth the time and money to buy the upgrade? For me it was worth getting just with the introduction of functional AI since I'm not using the MP feature. The V2 AI gives the impression that you aren't alone and works well in it's present state-- what it isn't is an activity editor like in MSTS, or scenario editor for TS20XX. The AI system allows for proper consists to spawn in a variety of yards, at a variety of times. The AI crew (engineer and conductor) will then operate the train as per operational rules (i.e., track speed limits), signal indications set by RTC (you) on the dispatch board(s). Depending on the number of trains you use/spawn being the dispatcher/RTC can be a sim unto itself. I know of a few players who let the AI run the mainlines while they operate the yards and or locals.

The graphics upgrades are welcome, including the UI upgrades, but Run 8 is certainly not eye-candy like Trainsim World (DTG) or Trainsimulator 20XX (DTG).

I enjoy this sim for its simulation of rail ops as well as the driving aspects (cold dark start anyone?) and detailed physics. Despite the lack of photoreal graphics I find it very immersive (at least until the missus yanks my ear). As with any sim YMMV smile

Currently dabbling in;
IL2BOS/BOM smile

#4419382 - 05/06/18 06:20 PM Re: Catching up with Run 8 [Re: Leaf85]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks for that feedback Dave!

As a fan of BMS over DCS, I've learned that eye candy is not important to me. I will look into this AI implementation as that sounds quite cool. I hate the feeling of being alone in the game and don't have time to MP with others so some activity on stations or yards would be very welcome. Are there any videos you could suggest that shows these in action?

- Ice
#4419403 - 05/06/18 10:31 PM Re: Catching up with Run 8 [Re: Leaf85]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
Hi Ice, I had a quick shufti for some Run 8 V2 videos on YouTube and found this one that might help visualize Run 8 Tutorial- Getting Started ...

Currently dabbling in;
IL2BOS/BOM smile

#4419474 - 05/07/18 04:13 PM Re: Catching up with Run 8 [Re: Leaf85]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks!

- Ice

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.