Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4415192 - 04/07/18 07:41 PM Steam Sale Recommended modules  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

Steam have sale at moment, I have A10-C, and FC3 any recommended modules with full interact cockpit?
Not interested in newer modules, Hornet, Viggen or AV-8B

Last edited by Slippery_Rat; 04/07/18 07:55 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4415207 - 04/07/18 10:44 PM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
I would look at it as which modules have the least bugs that need to be addressed. If you're a rotor guy...I think the Huey is a good option. If you're into Korean war era at all...I hear the F-86 is pretty good module.

Definitely do your homework on functionality before you hit the purchase button!

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4415211 - 04/07/18 11:35 PM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
The Mig15BIS is awesome, but with the core problems with 2.5 right now, me personally, I wouldn't buy anything from them. That is just me though.

S!Blade<><

#4415233 - 04/08/18 04:33 AM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
Stick to the Su-25T. It's the most fun and use you can get out of DCS for money value...

If anything I would recommend Ka-50 Blackshark.

Only others I could recommend are what you already have - A-10C and FC3 - especially Su-25 and F-15, but still lots of bugs (eg AtoA missiles...)

mdwa
#4415242 - 04/08/18 07:35 AM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: mdwa]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Originally Posted by mdwa
Stick to the Su-25T. It's the most fun and use you can get out of DCS for money value...

Haha, thats a nice killer mdwa considering it's free smile

But yeah, I'd also recommend to stay clear of anything besides what you have.
Su-25 with half-load opens alot of fun in FC3 (too many fly it with all stations loaded and endup having a hard time manouvering).

#4415256 - 04/08/18 11:57 AM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Force10]  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

Originally Posted by Force10
I would look at it as which modules have the least bugs that need to be addressed. If you're a rotor guy...I think the Huey is a good option. If you're into Korean war era at all...I hear the F-86 is pretty good module.

Definitely do your homework on functionality before you hit the purchase button!

Exactly that's why I ask here! Funny you should mention those 2, those were what I was considering. Reviews...old on F-86, claim lack of content ie missions training campaigns etc but nice eye candy, good model and easy to fly!

I also look at number and nature of the posts here.

#4415257 - 04/08/18 11:59 AM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

Does anyone know if RECENT purchases made thru Steam can be activated at ED, I feel more comfortable with Steam payment security.

#4415258 - 04/08/18 12:05 PM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

Il-Sturmovik also on sale so can include that in options.

#4415267 - 04/08/18 01:23 PM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

Actually , I am very interested in the new modules, but not while they are still wriggling in the evolutionary developmental ooze of a combat flight sim! I'll be patient and wait from them to emerge from the swamp, crawl on land and spread their wings!

This is not the sim you've bee looking for!
Venerable Obi Wan Kenobe

Ok, now is the time!

Last edited by Slippery_Rat; 04/08/18 01:24 PM.
#4415270 - 04/08/18 03:14 PM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted by Slippery_Rat
Il-Sturmovik also on sale so can include that in options.

Bang for buck I would go for a sturmovik title. Well rounded purchase, 8 or 10 aircraft, theatre, period ground units included in purchase, good performance, dedicated development, good SP campaign system. The comparison between devs is like night and day. There's too much up in the air right now when it comes to DCS to justify the expenditure on 1 aircraft which may or may not be top priority for the developers. Sure they have clickable cockpits but who knows what the minimum requirements to click those pits will be in 6 months time. ED like to move the goal posts and what you purchase may not be what was sold to you.

Last edited by Johnny_Redd; 04/08/18 04:11 PM.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4415272 - 04/08/18 03:43 PM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
My F-86 is one of my most favorite airplanes on my computer. I just wish there was more content for it. More missions would be nice. A Korean War style airbase would be great to fly out of. Great jet.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4415321 - 04/08/18 09:35 PM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK

This! And this too! The Shark is a platform that I really have a love-hate relationship with. smile

Originally Posted by theOden
Haha, thats a nice killer mdwa considering it's free smile

I think that was the whole point! Ha! biggrin

Does anyone know if RECENT purchases made thru Steam can be activated at ED, I feel more comfortable with Steam payment security.

No. Buy in Steam, activate in Steam, update in Steam.... which is usually a few days or weeks after ED updates their own stuff. Which begs the question, why buy at Steam at all? Have you ever encountered any issues with the ED store? Personally, I would recommend buying direct. Support ED and all wink

Originally Posted by Johnny_Redd
Bang for buck I would go for a sturmovik title

Remind me again if IL-2 stuff have clickable pits? Then again, the amount of cockpit work you do in a WWII bird vs. modern aircraft, you run out of key binds really quick with modern stuff and so many to memorize so clickable pits are a big help, but that's not the case with WWII aircraft smile

- Ice
#4415362 - 04/09/18 02:08 AM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Recent purchases of old products can, I think. I'm sure if you were to buy a module through Steam and its CD key isn't accepted you could return it through Steam. It's new products (Harrier, etc.) past some point that aren't cross compatible.

#4415378 - 04/09/18 05:49 AM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

Thank you all ! Good info all around!

Johnny_Redd wrote:

Any particular title stand out, I'm aware of the BAT mod for Il-Sturmovik 1946 and the huge number of airframes available.
Reviews not that great for other sturmovik titles, but you take exception to the reviews of BOS, BOM, COD?

Interesting comment Frederf, what you say makes sense, they unlikely to change policy for older products!

Thank you!

Last edited by Slippery_Rat; 04/09/18 05:50 AM.
#4415382 - 04/09/18 08:29 AM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

I read a post on ED a while ago that did point out one good thing about Steam

Try put a module!

Want a try out a module?, buy it on steam , play it for less than 2 hours

If it is a turd, just get a refund

Like it then keep it

Last edited by leaf_on_the_wind; 04/09/18 08:31 AM.

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4415387 - 04/09/18 10:37 AM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
xXNightEagleXx Offline
xXNightEagleXx  Offline

Originally Posted by leaf_on_the_wind
I read a post on ED a while ago that did point out one good thing about Steam

Try put a module!

If it is a turd, just get a refund

Like it then keep it

This method is not reliable since DCS itself is not reliable.

#4415409 - 04/09/18 12:20 PM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by Frederf

Recent purchases of old products can, I think. I'm sure if you were to buy a module through Steam and its CD key isn't accepted you could return it through Steam. It's new products (Harrier, etc.) past some point that aren't cross compatible.

Well, looks like some products are released with Steam keys, others are released with Starforce keys so the Starforce ones are interchangeable and you can activate on Steam and/or ED Store. Good luck in finding out if you're getting a Steam key or a Starforce one though, there seems to be nothing in the Steam page to indicate which one you're getting.

Please note that this DLC uses Steam Keys instead of Starforce keys. As such, this purchases cannot be activated on the DCS World E-Shop version.
Source

Please note that the Steam purchases uses Steam keys that cannot be used with the DCS World e-Shop version.
Source

ED's statement:
Source

Originally Posted by leaf_on_the_wind

How much of that 2 hours is spent setting up your controls? smile

- Ice
#4415419 - 04/09/18 12:54 PM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
BrettT Offline
BrettT  Offline

Louisiana
I think it really comes down to what you like to do.

A modern "lite" fighter would be the F-5. Though I would say it is only worth it if you want to get the Nevada Test Range Map and the two campaigns depicting 1v1 and 2v2 encounters. They are pretty basic but I enjoyed the challenge and differences in techniques needed against each different type of fighter

As a companion to your FC you could get Nevada and then the F-15 Red Flag Campaign. I really enjoyed this campaign. It had a great feel to it. Likewise you could get the A-10 Red flag. I have it but haven't had the time to invest in learning the A-10C to put it to use (it is on my to-do list)

As mentioned above the Huey is a pretty good module and fun to fly

F-86 is good and the Museum Relic is a "cute" campaign but I prefer to just do the quick missions with it for a quick fix

#4415580 - 04/10/18 03:01 AM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: mdwa]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States

Only others I could recommend are what you already have - A-10C and FC3 - especially Su-25 and F-15, but still lots of bugs (eg AtoA missiles...)

agree 100%

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#4416079 - 04/13/18 12:41 AM Re: Steam Sale Recommended modules [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Johnny_Redd wrote:

Any particular title stand out, I'm aware of the BAT mod for Il-Sturmovik 1946 and the huge number of airframes available.
Reviews not that great for other sturmovik titles, but you take exception to the reviews of BOS, BOM, COD?

I haven't read the steam reviews. I can't comment on them. I do know that I would drop $50 on any title they release without a second thought. You get the aircraft, you get the map, you get the ground units, you get the career and if you're a MP player you have access to all maps that the server has in rotation e.g. if you only own BoM you can still fly on the Stalingrad and Kuban maps in MP. This guys blog is very good and is well worth a read. He gives the good and bad points of the BoX series. Well worth a bookmark.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.