Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#44109 - 03/23/00 12:56 AM A fighter without a gun is....  
Spoons Offline
Site Emeritus
Spoons  Offline
Site Emeritus

SimHQ.com
....maybe a good idea or is it a screwy concept that's been tried and disproved before?

Sounded like heresy to me, but I had a discussion with a friend of mine last night / today about the merits of guns in air to air combat. His (legitimate) points are that:

1.) The addition of the gun to an air to air fighter means more weight, more maintenance, more support equipment, more personnel, and more things to break down and supply.

2.) Since Vietnam, there have been several medium-scale air battles fought, and guns kills have been almost nonexistant in that time. The only guns kills in Desert Storm were from Hogs, I believe.

3.) Modern off-boresight missiles, helmet mounted sights, etc. as well as improved close-range missile technology, can and have made a guns fight a much more risky proposition than ever before.

Now, this isn't dealing with air to ground stuff....I think there is a role for guns there, especially in specific platforms like the Su-25 or A-10. But my friend's point is that the days of aircraft slugging it out at guns range and both using guns is probably behind us.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear Andy's take, especially, since he was a pilot from the generation who flew the non-gun fighters into combat. Yes, we tried the no-guns fighters idea before, but not with the technology we have today, nor the solid history of missile kills.

So, what do we think?

------------------
John Sponauer
Senior Editor
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@SimHQ.com

John Sponauer
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#44110 - 03/23/00 02:12 AM Re: A fighter without a gun is....  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
I believe in the gun..particularly a modern gun system that includes improved projectile ballistics, rapid fire large caliber rounds, and multi-sensor inputs to improve gunsight aiming accuracy in all aspect gun attacks.

Since Vietnam (or more correctly, since Korea), we have not had a conflict that allowed a reasonable assessment of the argument pro and con the gun. The conflicts have been too one-sided and too short. Desert Storm or Kosovo air to air engagements proved little except the supremacy of western training and command/control/surveillance capabilities.

To settle this issue, what is needed is a drawn out slugfest where any technological advantages of one side over the other are minimized. While this will probably not happen, the result, in my opinion, would prove once again the validity of the gun.

Andy

#44111 - 03/23/00 03:18 AM Re: A fighter without a gun is....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

The one nagging problem with missles is they nearly always have an Rmin....and with proximity detonators, it certainly necessary to have an arming delay.

So IMHO, as long as we can get close enough to "dogfight" they'll need the gun. Now, when missles are "wish'em dead" and we know who everyone is without seeing 'em with the Mark I eyeball....then the gun is dead.

Shotgun

#44112 - 03/23/00 06:47 AM Re: A fighter without a gun is....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wonder what the Israeli Air Force would have to say about this thread? They seem to be the world's leading close-in style dogfighters.

#44113 - 03/23/00 12:35 PM Re: A fighter without a gun is....  
Spoons Offline
Site Emeritus
Spoons  Offline
Site Emeritus

SimHQ.com
I'm curious if anyone has a reference to the kills over the Falklands and the Middle East (67, 73 wars, 82 Turkey Shoot). How many were guns kills?

Anyone?

------------------
John Sponauer
Senior Editor
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@SimHQ.com

John Sponauer
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com
#44114 - 03/23/00 02:21 PM Re: A fighter without a gun is....  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO

#44115 - 03/23/00 02:25 PM Re: A fighter without a gun is....  
Spoons Offline
Site Emeritus
Spoons  Offline
Site Emeritus

SimHQ.com
Oh, now THAT is a sweet site.

Thanks Andy!

------------------
John Sponauer
Senior Editor
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@SimHQ.com

John Sponauer
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.