Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4409275 - 03/06/18 09:49 PM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
speaking of coffee ....CAFE for your investments, or JO

Buy after April 12

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4409305 - 03/06/18 11:34 PM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Coffee with all these little addons some of you love so much...well it's not coffee to ME. It's a personal thing after all.

Don't even get me started about a theoreticallygrown man RAVING about how wonderful that "blueberry, bacon daffodil, milk stout" is while I am sipping on a good old Amerikanski beer..Yuengling. Glad I finally discovered an American beer that I can drink.

Again...personal preference.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4409320 - 03/07/18 12:34 AM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
Yay Nixer!

My Mother got me hooked on coffee at an early age. She drank Maxwell House coffee. So do I.
And Nixer, giveY uengling's Black & Tan a try. My beer of choice.

#4409322 - 03/07/18 12:39 AM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
I'm not a coffee connoisseur by any means (typically Folgers w\ lots of cream, lots of sugar wink ); but a buddy just gave me some Black Rifle Coffee Co. "Just Black" and I must say it's one of the better one's I've tried. Looking forward to trying some of their other flavors

#4409340 - 03/07/18 02:29 AM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: piper]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by piper
Yay Nixer!

My Mother got me hooked on coffee at an early age. She drank Maxwell House coffee. So do I.
And Nixer, giveY uengling's Black & Tan a try. My beer of choice.

Black and Tan is ALL I buy. Best beer EVER made in America in my lifetime. Again...thrilled to have an American beer I am proud of. It has been a LONG time coming.

Last edited by Nixer; 03/07/18 02:34 AM. Reason: DOH +1

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4409356 - 03/07/18 05:04 AM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Monnie Rock Offline
Monnie Rock  Offline

Jacksonville Beach,Florida,USA
For me it's simple: Café con leche

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Poll Eagle Dynamics New DRM Expiration Period Limit
[Linked Image]
Rack Rig:Rosewill RSV-L4000|Koolance ERM-3K3UC|i7-4960x @ 5ghz w/EK Monoblock|Asus Rampage IV Black Edition|64GB 2133mhz|EVGA TitanX Superclocked w/ EK Waterblock|2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB in RAID 0|Lepa 1600w PSU|Win 10 Pro 64bit|TM Warthog w/20cm Extension|MFG Crosswind Rudders|Obutto R3volution
#4409371 - 03/07/18 06:30 AM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
That's a bit like saying spaghetti and ramen noodles are the same because, well, they're both noodles, right?

smile

I will say that the quality of water is everything in coffee. The leaders of my fine town all love me and are very concerned for my well being. I know this because they have directed the water department to put as much chlorine in the tap water as the YMCA does in it's swimming pool, ensuring no germs or bugs of any sort come through my pipes.

So I fill a Brita filter jug and let it sit overnight to remove it for my coffee, which vastly improves the flavor.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4409375 - 03/07/18 07:06 AM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
I think that if you do try a coffee made by a pro, or if you make it yourself copying a pro's method, you WILL notice the fruit flavors.

I didn't think it existed until I bought a dripper cone and beans and kettle used by the coffee pouring champion for 2014. I copied his exact pour method. Didn't cost much, maybe $70 or so for all the gear and a small bag of quality beans.

It was night and day compared to regular junk coffee made in a hurry.

There definitely was a fruitiness to the coffee which makes sense because the beans actually are from a berry before we get them and roast the hell out of them. Getting your hands on good quality beans is pretty important.

When you start messing with the fineness of the grind and the speed of pouring, it really starts making a difference. If you have good technique, you end up with almost no bitterness but a lot of sweetness and very "bright" tasting coffee". If you do something like stir up the grounds while you're pouring, you end up with very bitter and sour tastes. When you dial in your grinder so that it makes grounds that take 2-3 minutes to complete the water pour, you usually end up with perfect coffee with very distinct flavors, different from the generic "coffee" flavor. I think most people's image of coffee is just strong bitter nastiness and they usually just cover it up with sugar and milk.

My main drip coffee setup is like this:
Kalita Wave 185 dripper (Maybe $20 on amazon) - this is for 2-4 cups at a time.
Hario Kettle (Around $20)
Kalita Wave filters ($3)
Coffee server to rest the dripper on while making ($5)
Beans ($10)
Hario Skerton Grinder ($25?)
Kitchen scale & timer I already had for breadmaking.

#4409404 - 03/07/18 11:50 AM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I like your style Monnie Rock!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4409436 - 03/07/18 04:32 PM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Leave it to Longbow in Japan to come up with a coffee pouring technique that borders on ceremony!

Oh, I have to say that my Bunn - my magical Bunn maker - has a thermal carafe rather than a hot plate and a glass jug. The best way to turn good coffee into not-so-good coffee is put it on a hot plate and let it sit.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4409449 - 03/07/18 04:57 PM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
My coffee is quite utilitarian. It's common pre-ground stuff, which I brew a bit on the weak side, to avoid caffeine effects, since I may drink a mug or three. It's a simple drink for while I work or play. Most often I drink this black, with an odd teaspoon of sugar, depending on the day.

On rare occasion I will do something a bit more refined. Here and there I buy a bag of specialty coffee, and brew it near proper strength through a drip cone. A much fuller flavor experience, however I sometimes suffer some shakes from the caffeine, which I don't like. I rarely to never buy coffee at restaurants due to this.

Something I've considered is interchanging the quantity for quality. Brew a bit fuller coffee, but limit myself to a single 6 oz teacup per day.

And as Dart mentions, a thermal carafe or a thermal mug is my choice for when the coffee will need to sit a while.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4409485 - 03/07/18 07:53 PM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: Dart]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted by Dart
That's a bit like saying spaghetti and ramen noodles are the same because, well, they're both noodles, right?

smile

I will say that the quality of water is everything in coffee. The leaders of my fine town all love me and are very concerned for my well being. I know this because they have directed the water department to put as much chlorine in the tap water as the YMCA does in it's swimming pool, ensuring no germs or bugs of any sort come through my pipes.

So I fill a Brita filter jug and let it sit overnight to remove it for my coffee, which vastly improves the flavor.

Agreed on the water. My wife's parents and grandmother live next door to each other and have their own well. The water is AMAZING and coffee there always turns out incredible, although there's nothing else different going on.
Here, we use a filter on the kitchen faucet that improved things from our hard water. Not as good as theirs though.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4409740 - 03/09/18 06:37 AM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: Alicatt]  
Turbo Offline
Turbo  Offline

Originally Posted by Alicatt
Originally Posted by Nixer
Cat Crap Coffee....

Wrong on so many levels.

Until you try it, it is different. I would never have tried it myself but I was given a cup of it from my daughter in law's father when we went to meet the in-laws, they had recently been over in Indonesia on holiday and had brought a few bags of the coffee back with them. My daughter brought a bag of it home with her and gave it to me when her and her husband returned from their holiday there.

Now I'm wondering if one of the other kids is going out there and if they can bring me a few bags back.... biggrin
cat stirthepot reading

Hmmm, I wonder how they get the cats to swallow the beans whole, without chewing them? I have a sneaking suspicion that they're more human than cat, LOL.

Celebrating 35+ years in the field of avionics....my how time flies!
#4410017 - 03/11/18 06:03 AM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
good water + good & whole beans + measuring correctly (6 oz water/tablespoon cafe) + good coffee machine that doesn't run the water through real quick or a coffee press = great coffee !

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4410168 - 03/12/18 03:02 AM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Aullido Offline
Aullido  Offline

"The brewing temperature of the water used is very important. It should be between 195 F (91 C) and 205 F (96 C). The closer to 205 F (96 C) the better. Boiling water (212 F - 100 C) should never be used, as it will burn the coffee."

#4410183 - 03/12/18 08:30 AM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: Aullido]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by Aullido
"The brewing temperature of the water used is very important. It should be between 195 F (91 C) and 205 F (96 C). The closer to 205 F (96 C) the better. Boiling water (212 F - 100 C) should never be used, as it will burn the coffee."

In the morning I boil the water in the kettle, the water has been sitting since the previous night, poured before I go to bed so that the fluorides and chlorides can gas off ready to be used in the morning.

When the kettle is almost boiling I pour a little into the tea pot to warm it up and as the noise changes in the kettle I pour off the water in the teapot and add a couple of spoons of Earl Grey tea leaves to the pot then the kettle should be just switching off and I add the boiling water to the teapot and let it stand.

My coffee press has 3 spoons of ground coffee added, I put on the grill for toast set the table for breakfast and then add the water from the kettle to the press, give it a stir and press home, I set the press on the table to let any grounds that have passed the press settle to the bottom, get the toast and by that time my wife should be sitting at the table for her toast and ginger marmalade and her Tea, Hot, Earl Grey.

That is my normal breakfast routine.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4410202 - 03/12/18 12:47 PM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
You have quite a routine there Alicatt!

My morning routine:

1. Make sure there is water in the Keurig machine receptacle.

2. Insert Keurig coffee disk.

3. After coffee is done brewing, pour in mug and add creamer.

Done. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4410206 - 03/12/18 01:03 PM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

In that I have to get the cat ready for the day too cat

Clan Cameron
#4410471 - 03/14/18 05:30 AM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Fuzzy Offline
Fuzzy  Offline

B.C.,Canada
Winter Coffee

Attached Files Maxwell.jpgTimmy's three minute.jpgCream.jpg
#4410482 - 03/14/18 08:12 AM Re: Coffee..What's your preference? [Re: Fuzzy]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Winter Coffee

Ah Tim Hortons, I know it well,

My coffee mug:

[Linked Image]

Clan Cameron
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.