Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4407208 - 02/24/18 07:14 PM Job Interview Question  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Looking for opinions on a statement made during an interview.
What would be your opinion if someone told you" I have to talk to my boss or superior about this" after practically telling you you had the job multiple times in pre interviews.

A little background
  • Phone interview - goes well
  • Calls current boss and tells them they think you would make a good fit for their team
  • You schedule interview with this individual which requires a flight to another city
  • do the face to face interview and all seems to be going well
  • Get the "Have to talk to someone else" statement

You going to get the job or is this just a nice way to get you out of their office without a confrontation?

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4407211 - 02/24/18 07:21 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
Means nothing. If he is the hiring manager, obviously he liked you enough to ne his lead candidate.

But with most corporations these days everyone feels like they have a say. HR is going to have their say. How bosses will have their say and so on. Typical beaureaucracy.

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#4407252 - 02/24/18 09:38 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
I'll second Spidey's take on it. Having to get an "OK" from somebody higher up on the food chain is not unusual.

Good luck with it, Wheels!

#4407265 - 02/24/18 10:27 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
the larger the company is that's doing the hiring, the more people are involved with the hiring process. where i work it takes at least 4 approvals including my own

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#4407269 - 02/24/18 11:52 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Bumfluff Offline
Bumfluff  Offline

Very common in big, bureaucratic places.

Fingers crossed for you mate.

Last edited by Bumfluff; 02/24/18 11:52 PM.
#4407275 - 02/25/18 02:00 AM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
That only means I am Doomed when my search begins. 24 years here and nothing to show for it. OH well, I needed to be Paroled
from this job. They are going to have to hire at least 8 people to do my job. And I will bet they will mess it up.

So far being on work mans comp from my rib injury they have been forking out bigtime pay I never see for the work I do.
Sure wish I made the big buck work I do that plumbers get paid for. I could have retired already. Then add mowing and
Snow removal. Do it all and Appliance replacement to, OMG. don`t forget the fire alarms and Sprinkler system That I have
keep scheduled. Have the fire department and Police Department head guys on my phone. Have had many visits over the
years including checking residents well-fares. Many don`t end well. Call the cops. Deal with morticians and family over dumb
crap. Where do I end maybe hiring 12 might do it.

Ready to call it quits.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4407372 - 02/25/18 05:41 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Until there is a paycheck, keep looking, but don’t feel down about it. Too many ways to read this, you’ll make yourself crazy trying to interpret it. Just keep on, don’t put weight on it.
Consider yourself self-employed, your own business even if this is a traditional job. If they don’t “contract” you, someone else will.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4407491 - 02/26/18 04:14 AM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Marc Offline
Marc  Offline

Corona, California
You will get the job, you sound like a good guy smile

Marc..

HP-Compaq-8100-Elite-SFF-Intel-Core-i5-660-3-33GHz-8GB-250GB-Windows7, GTX1050 -X45+Rudder Pedals, Playseat Challenge
#4407508 - 02/26/18 01:34 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Hope you get the job wheels. Keep us updated.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4407626 - 02/26/18 07:44 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Thanks for the replies everyone. thumbsup

Sorry for the confusion but this was not my job Interview. I was trying to see if I was reading the situation wrong. According to the consensus here I was over thinking it or reading it wrong but the email "thanking the person for participating but we went another way" they got regarding this job unfortunately proved my assessment of the situation correct. Having been on the hiring side after I heard what they had been lead to believe before the interview and what was said to end the interview my gut reaction was to think that the whole process had been a waste of their time and money. I bit my tongue and just nodded since I haven't been out there for quite some time and I wanted some current opinions.

As far as my own job prospects, whenever I go on an interview the fact that I had a small business for almost thirty years works against me. Large companies don't think I know sh!t since I don't have a degree and owners of small companies are always afraid that I am going to try and steal their business to start another company. Most managers of small companies also have their own fears that I will replace them since they know that I know how to run a company and they don't want to take the chance that I will replace them.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4407627 - 02/26/18 07:48 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu
T

Having been on the hiring side after I heard what they had been lead to believe before the interview and what was said to end the interview my gut reaction was to think that the whole process had been a waste of their time and money. I b

Wheels

I understand what you mean wheels. I've had several interviews in the past where I thought it was a slam dunk to only then find out later that someone else got the job. I've also had several face to face interviews where it was very obvious that the interviewer didn't even read my resume. Very frustrating. It felt like I got picked to interview so that their company could meet their demographic or compliance quota.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/26/18 08:00 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4407629 - 02/26/18 08:00 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
It felt like I got picked to interview so that their company can meet their demographic or compliance quota.

This interview was for a Govt. position and I can almost guarantee this is what happened. They are required to interview so many applicants before they can fill a position and this just felt to me all along like a numbers thing for them. Now they can go into HR and say "We met our interview quota" so now they are able to hire the person they have chosen to move or promote to the position.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4407641 - 02/26/18 09:15 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
HR found your SimHQ posts.... neaner

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4407654 - 02/26/18 10:06 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: Bill_Grant]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
HR found your SimHQ posts.... neaner

Lol. biggrin

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4407659 - 02/26/18 10:37 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
This interview was for a Govt. position and I can almost guarantee this is what happened. They are required to interview so many applicants before they can fill a position and this just felt to me all along like a numbers thing for them. Now they can go into HR and say "We met our interview quota" so now they are able to hire the person they have chosen to move or promote to the position.

I suspect that's what happened in the last three jobs I applied for. No surprises there.

I had to re-apply for my job when I went from my initial 3-year contract to a permanent contract in the NHS. There were other applicants from other hospitals as well. There were 6 of us that were having our contracts changed, there were 6 positions advertised, none of us lost our jobs to external applicants smile

- Ice
#4407662 - 02/26/18 10:46 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: - Ice]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by - Ice
I suspect that's what happened in the last three jobs I applied for. No surprises there.

I had to re-apply for my job when I went from my initial 3-year contract to a permanent contract in the NHS. There were other applicants from other hospitals as well. There were 6 of us that were having our contracts changed, there were 6 positions advertised, none of us lost our jobs to external applicants smile

I am happy for you Ice and I do know that is how it normally works. For those on the inside it's great but for those of us on the outside being told that we can't ever play it pretty much sucks. frown

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4407669 - 02/26/18 10:59 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Thanks Wheels!

I was a bit scared at that point because I had butted heads with a few people, some of which were very, very, very good at non-nursing roles wink wink wink so I thought if they wanted to get rid of me, that was the most opportune moment. Everybody else passed their interviews with flying colors, got offered their jobs back on the spot. Even those without prior Theatre (Operating Room) experience. I did not; they insisted on waiting for my reference letters, both of which were from senior nurses that worked alongside me everyday. I knew for a fact that two other people who got on-the-spot offers asked for a reference letter from the same guy I asked and this guy confirmed that he only wrote the letters once they (interviewers) asked him to.... which was AFTER the interview. I was on shift at the time of the interview and so attended it in my scrub attire, but surely that should not be any points against me? A week later, I got offered my job back, and I could see from the manager that it was painful for her to do so. biggrin biggrin biggrin

"If you're not making enemies you're doing it wrong," I guess.
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” -Winston S. Churchill

Anyway, I guess I've been on both inside and outside that situation so I guess I can understand it a bit more. It is annoying having to waste everyone's time and raise a lot of hopes as well. I think that part is mean.

- Ice
#4407988 - 02/28/18 12:32 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
BD-123 Online content
Old Scroat
BD-123  Online Content
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Originally Posted by - Ice

I am happy for you Ice and I do know that is how it normally works. For those on the inside it's great but for those of us on the outside being told that we can't ever play it pretty much sucks. frown

Wheels

As regards re-applying for a position you already hold, it can be used to save on statutory redundancy pay here. A large customer of mine sold their business with a good customer base and reputation to a 'Banker's Consortium' , who made all employees re-apply. After a short period of re-employment some of the longer-serving staff (some of 25 years service) were given redundancy notice. They were happy to think that they would be given a decent package for this only to be informed that their employment period had only been 3 months and therefore they could only expect the minimum payment. The disgruntled staff joined together and took the new owners to court and of course were rewarded with full service payment, plus costs and damages. Many key staff went so the company due to further corner-cutting policies went into the doldrums.

I'm not gloating, even though this same consortium set up their own digital print section in secret and I lost a £500k contract overnight smile

As to interviews, I don't know if it is legislation or company policy over here (UK) that a position, even if a internal applicant is earmarked for the job, must be externally advertised and interviews held. Such a waste of time for HR and applicants like my youngest son who wasted many days and miles back and forth for interviews only to find out from a former degree colleague that worked for this global company that she was promised the job anyway.

#4408224 - 03/01/18 04:54 AM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: BD-123]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by BD-123
As regards re-applying for a position you already hold, it can be used to save on statutory redundancy pay here. A large customer of mine sold their business with a good customer base and reputation to a 'Banker's Consortium' , who made all employees re-apply. After a short period of re-employment some of the longer-serving staff (some of 25 years service) were given redundancy notice. They were happy to think that they would be given a decent package for this only to be informed that their employment period had only been 3 months and therefore they could only expect the minimum payment. The disgruntled staff joined together and took the new owners to court and of course were rewarded with full service payment, plus costs and damages. Many key staff went so the company due to further corner-cutting policies went into the doldrums.

I'm not gloating, even though this same consortium set up their own digital print section in secret and I lost a £500k contract overnight smile

As to interviews, I don't know if it is legislation or company policy over here (UK) that a position, even if a internal applicant is earmarked for the job, must be externally advertised and interviews held. Such a waste of time for HR and applicants like my youngest son who wasted many days and miles back and forth for interviews only to find out from a former degree colleague that worked for this global company that she was promised the job anyway.

Must have been a US based company. They pull that type of stunt all the time and get away with it.
The other current trend to get around employee tenure is to hire using temp agencies. That way they are not employees of the company where they work and they can't accrue any benefits.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4408273 - 03/01/18 01:15 PM Re: Job Interview Question [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
BD-123 Online content
Old Scroat
BD-123  Online Content
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
The temping, called the 'Gig Economy' here is a cause for much discussion and legislation proposals. As you allude to, 'zero hour contracts' means that British companies can avoid employer contributions to National Insurance, pensions and accrued holidays. Much exploited by organisations such as most courier companies, Deliveroo, Uber and the like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.