Hop To
#4405748 - 02/18/18 02:24 AM Black Panther  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Solid 7.0 maybe 7.5 , i honestly don't see all the representative fuss going about this movie, but i guess living in a country like mine i wasn't as repressed as african americans in the USA,though it is a good thing kids can see themselves in this,i'll bet it will be huge to them.
Good soundtrack, great cinematography, simple plot, good villain ,though to me seemed like a spoiled american brat, maybe its intentional, good performances, want to see more of boseman in the role,when he went raw he really nailed. Suport characters work well and you want to see more of them, i wasnt impressed in the trailers but the lady from TWD was very enjoyable in the movie role.
Third act seemed rushed though, kinda like the studio had to step in becouse the director got overwhelmed by the blockbuster aspect of it, or maybe not pleased witht he first cut ? Cos the CGi definitelly took a hit (or maybe the priority was to finish IW).

The ending wiill trigger a lot of americans though, but opens a whole new world for the MCU to be more like the comics
with absurd fantasy tech stuff
we are used to read.

Last edited by Blade_RJ; 02/18/18 02:27 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4405927 - 02/18/18 06:09 PM Re: Black Panther [Re: Blade_RJ]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
I think a lot of it has to do with the current problems we have here in the States when it comes to people of color.

Here's what I said in another post:

As a person of color of biracial heritage, growing up in a mostly white neighborhood and attending mostly white schools, there was very, very little that I could personally identify with as contemporary figures to look up to growing up. Especially as a comic and sci-fi nerd. Benjamin Cisko and maybe Lando Calrissian are really all I had.

I've complained for years about the lack of representation of black people in popular media as positive role models, or any representation of anything African being a source of pride or something to admire. I'd resigned myself to the thought that it wasn't going to happen for me and my generation.

Then I saw the Marvel movie road map that included Black Panther, a comic character I knew from my younger years (but one I've often felt was way too often overlooked in the last couple of decades), and I began feeling cautiously hopeful that the generations after mine would have something better to look to. As buzz grew, I got more and more excited about the possibility that maybe, THIS one would finally get it right. That maybe, we could show the kids coming up that they really can aspire to more and greater things.

I wasn't expecting the movie to do that exact thing to me. Holy #%&*$#, it hit me hard. There's a scene early in, and when you see it you'll be able to tell which one, that got me. My eyes welled up, and I felt my heart swell in my chest:

"this is my people, this is me, this is a part of who I am. This is my heritage. This is something to be proud of, something that nobody can ever take away from me again."

Then, the first scene after the credits, that started it all over again.

Also, the speeches that N'Jadaka made, it made it so much easier to identify with him. It put a really painfully familiar spin on his character, especially now.

My eyes are tearing up a little bit now just thinking about all these things as I write this.

It wasn't just a movie - it was rediscovering a part of who I am.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4405928 - 02/18/18 06:11 PM Re: Black Panther [Re: NavyNuke99]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Originally Posted by NavyNuke99
I think a lot of it has to do with the current problems we have here in the States when it comes to people of color.

As a person of color of biracial heritage, growing up in a mostly white neighborhood and attending mostly white schools, there was very, very little that I could personally identify with as contemporary figures to look up to growing up. Especially as a comic and sci-fi nerd. Benjamin Cisko and maybe Lando Calrissian are really all I had.

I've complained for years about the lack of representation of black people in popular media as positive role models, or any representation of anything African being a source of pride or something to admire. I'd resigned myself to the thought that it wasn't going to happen for me and my generation.

Then I saw the Marvel movie road map that included Black Panther, a comic character I knew from my younger years (but one I've often felt was way too often overlooked in the last couple of decades), and I began feeling cautiously hopeful that the generations after mine would have something better to look to. As buzz grew, I got more and more excited about the possibility that maybe, THIS one would finally get it right. That maybe, we could show the kids coming up that they really can aspire to more and greater things.

I wasn't expecting the movie to do that exact thing to me. Holy #%&*$#, it hit me hard. There's a scene early in, and when you see it you'll be able to tell which one, that got me. My eyes welled up, and I felt my heart swell in my chest:

"this is my people, this is me, this is a part of who I am. This is my heritage. This is something to be proud of, something that nobody can ever take away from me again."

Also, the speeches that N'Jadaka made, it made it so much easier to identify with him. It put a really painfully familiar spin on his character, especially now.

My eyes are tearing up a little bit now just thinking about all these things as I write this.

This is Awesome.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4405933 - 02/18/18 06:25 PM Re: Black Panther [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I never saw the last Thor, but hope to see this after Thor comes out at home. I'd like to see it on the big screen.
Around here, a couple of movie theaters were bought out for free viewing yesterday. I know one was paid for by Octavia Spencer. I think this is a national movement due to being a good role model and a great flick.
Blade and Spawn were really good movies and pretty well received, but this character is getting a lot of support that's pretty cool to see.
On the purely nerdy side, I'm glad to see the MCU getting a shot in the arm. They need to work hard to keep it fresh with so many actors ending their contracts soon.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4406021 - 02/19/18 12:07 AM Re: Black Panther [Re: NavyNuke99]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
I can't remember the first time I was made aware of the Black Panther character but I seem to remember they changed his name for awhile due to the Black Panther organization.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4406071 - 02/19/18 04:33 AM Re: Black Panther [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
I saw it last night and enjoyed it. It's a very good movie. I'd give it an A-.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4406145 - 02/19/18 05:32 PM Re: Black Panther [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Aullido Offline
Aullido  Offline

I certainly prefer the development of new characters to cater to the new generations instead of all those "reboots."

#4406164 - 02/19/18 07:13 PM Re: Black Panther [Re: JimK]  
arthur666 Offline
Pitbull Tickler
arthur666  Offline
Pitbull Tickler

NC, USA
Originally Posted by JimK
Originally Posted by NavyNuke99

This is Awesome.

Jim said it.

Wow, NavyNuke99. I'm so glad I got to read that.
And can't wait to see the movie.

System Vitals: Intel i5 9600, RTX2060, 16GB DDR3000(OC), Win10 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52, Logitech G27
Current Sims: MSFS2020, Assetto Corsa, StrikeFighters2, IL2:BoS etc, Arma3, American Truck Simulator, SnowRunner
#4408225 - 03/01/18 05:03 AM Re: Black Panther [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Finally saw Thor Ragnarok and then Black Panther last weekend. I agree with it being 7.5 range, maybe 8.
I’ve enjoyed all of the Marvel movies, just some more than others. The Capt America movies, GotG, Iron Man movies (despite some weak villains) being my favorites...and now Ragnarok, that was awesome.

This one fits in as above average for Marvel. Better than Ant Man by far, and a better villain than most Marvel movies. I like the antagonist situation, a tough one, at least a little shameful in origin...that being realistic and believable. They did a good job here. I also like thinking about what a culture could develop into if not influenced by the outside world. No conquest, genocide, culture loss, various types of missionaries, other governments, retaining folklore...this explored the direction a distinct culture might advance in. Certainly a different type of tech and aesthetics in general all over the place. I enjoyed that part of it a lot.

I get the significance, Blade and Spawn didn’t get the traction the MCU movies have. Also, with Iron Man probably phasing out, it’s good to introduce a new high tech powerhouse. I’m looking forward to what they do with the character and country. My only criticism would be that we don’t know T’Challa much better. Tony Stark is what made the Iron Man movies so good, rather than Iron Man, so to speak. We know Capt America’s story well too, endearing him to the audience. They should spend more time on T’Challa and exploring Wakanda next time.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4408267 - 03/01/18 11:44 AM Re: Black Panther [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite

I get the significance, Blade and Spawn didn’t get the traction the MCU movies have. .

IMHO, a huge factor here is social media. It was hugely instrumental in drumming up all of this political and social attention for "Black Panther". Since Spawn came out in 1997 and Blade in 1998, those films obviously didn't have that advantage.

It just cracks me up how the media and most college age people think that these social concerns and awareness are new things.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/01/18 11:47 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4408339 - 03/01/18 08:30 PM Re: Black Panther [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
do white kids really want to be Superman or Spiderman when they were growing up to the point we had to justify a black super hero? I'm never was a super hero person, never read the magazines and just got burnt out from watching all the movies with my kids.

My oldest went to see this movie and loved it, but growing up, all I had was Aquaman underoos, nothing else.

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#4408350 - 03/01/18 09:06 PM Re: Black Panther [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Azshal Offline
"Call me Az"
Azshal  Offline
"Call me Az"

Near VSFB, California
I finally saw Black Panther this week. I felt like it was a good Marvel movie, however it suffered from my main comics movie gripe: the villain is a "bad guy" version of the hero.

Iron Man and Iron Man 2: villain is a bad guy in a suit using arc reactor tech

Incredible Hulk: villain has gamma properties

Captain America WS: villain has super soldier serum properties

Ant Man: villain has a tiny suit

Black Panther: villain gets super powers and a vibranium suit

Not every movie has this issue, but a good amount do. That isn't the fault of the movies, I understand. It is an issue with the comics prior.

Last edited by Azshal; 03/01/18 09:07 PM.
#4408355 - 03/01/18 09:34 PM Re: Black Panther [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Back in the day there was a universal event where the bad guys got somewhat organized (by Loki?) and traded up who they fought to try to wipe out the heroes. Good way to mix things up.

#4408426 - 03/02/18 09:44 AM Re: Black Panther [Re: Azshal]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by Azshal
I finally saw Black Panther this week. I felt like it was a good Marvel movie, however it suffered from my main comics movie gripe: the villain is a "bad guy" version of the hero.

Not every movie has this issue, but a good amount do. That isn't the fault of the movies, I understand. It is an issue with the comics prior.

That's an interesting point actually, I hadn't thought of that. I guess the genre could do with more rock-paper-scissors type storylines. But meh - I'm fed up of superhero movies. It's just a deluge of nonsense for a few years now smile

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4408440 - 03/02/18 11:40 AM Re: Black Panther [Re: Blade_RJ]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I've enjoyed the superhero/comic book movies for the most part but I also do sense a bit of fatigue as well on my part. After a while, you start to notice all of the conventions and tropes that come with the genre.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4408523 - 03/02/18 05:03 PM Re: Black Panther [Re: Blade_RJ]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
I don't know if it's my age or what but I haven't seen a movie in at least 15 years that I would watch again and none of the current offerings interest me in the least.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4408575 - 03/02/18 07:30 PM Re: Black Panther [Re: DM]  
Azshal Offline
"Call me Az"
Azshal  Offline
"Call me Az"

Near VSFB, California
Originally Posted by DM
That's an interesting point actually, I hadn't thought of that. I guess the genre could do with more rock-paper-scissors type storylines. But meh - I'm fed up of superhero movies. It's just a deluge of nonsense for a few years now smile

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I've enjoyed the superhero/comic book movies for the most part but I also do sense a bit of fatigue as well on my part. After a while, you start to notice all of the conventions and tropes that come with the genre.

Having said that, I still like to watch them. They are fun popcorn movies.

#4408643 - 03/03/18 12:07 AM Re: Black Panther [Re: Azshal]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by Azshal

if i may, as a comic book nerd, this is a comic trope, you have the hero fighting his evil image to show the qualities of the hero,imagine if the hero turn that way instead, but this is why he fights, this is what he represents etc etc. its a formula so you empathize with them hence why they are applied them to hero origins movie,the audience must knows what move that character,his motivations,that why people complained so much about marvel villains in mcu, they were mere plot devices. Feige said they learned from that and they wont make that mistake on phase 4, so lets wait and see.

#4408798 - 03/04/18 06:32 AM Re: Black Panther [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Azshal Offline
"Call me Az"
Azshal  Offline
"Call me Az"

Near VSFB, California
Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
if i may, as a comic book nerd, this is a comic trope, you have the hero fighting his evil image to show the qualities of the hero,imagine if the hero turn that way instead, but this is why he fights, this is what he represents etc etc. its a formula so you empathize with them hence why they are applied them to hero origins movie,the audience must knows what move that character,his motivations,that why people complained so much about marvel villains in mcu, they were mere plot devices. Feige said they learned from that and they wont make that mistake on phase 4, so lets wait and see.

Yes, it is the Evil Counterpart trope.

I don't hate all tropes, though. Gainaxing is always fun.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.