Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4404056 - 02/07/18 07:56 PM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted by VMIalpha454
Hmm...either Boondock Saints or The Room. The Room is so bad it managed to be hilarious.

Boondock Saints is a "B" movie? Well, then it's one of my favorites...lol.

I watch so many odd independent type movies anymore it's hard to tell what's a "B" movie. smile

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4404061 - 02/07/18 08:16 PM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: Chucky]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Chucky

Edit2: The Humanoid was the film smile

I just checked out the trailer for that. A very heavy Star Wars influence. I'm surprised George Lucas didn't sue smile

I just looked up some info on this movie and found out it was shot in Italy. It also starred Barbara Bach!

I also watched that trailer and yes, it "borrowed" heavily from the Star Wars aesthetic.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/07/18 08:18 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4404090 - 02/07/18 10:48 PM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Boondocks wasn’t expected to be a B movie, and IMO was better than that, but definitely a “B” cult classic now after it didn’t do well in theaters. If the writer/director didn’t blow it having such a big ego, he was at one time expected to be one of the best new talents.
I couldn’t watch the sequel. Also, weirdly, SPF was unrecognizable for some reason. Either a car wreck or platic surgery gone wrong, I don’t know. At first I thought it was someone else.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4404110 - 02/08/18 12:29 AM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
OMG, Ssnake mentioned Terminal Velocity, a perfect example of actors putting in a way better performance than the script or the production deserved.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4404122 - 02/08/18 01:14 AM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: Dart]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by Dart
OMG, Ssnake mentioned Terminal Velocity

Did not. I wrote "Terminal Invasion", and meant it. Like, this one.

#4404134 - 02/08/18 02:08 AM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Hahaha, me,too....I guess the pain killers are working too well on me. I do like that the airplane's prop spins the wrong way.

Bruce Campbell has a way of getting inexperienced actors to step up by example.

Last edited by Dart; 02/08/18 02:10 AM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4404140 - 02/08/18 03:06 AM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
The Nephilim Online tunes
S3D GuRu
The Nephilim  Online Tunes
S3D GuRu
Hotshot

3rd Stone from the Sun !!
1. Blood of Heroes
2. Night of the Comet..

Intel i7 10700K @ 4.8GHZ / ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4AC Motherboard / Asus 1080GTX OC / SoundBlaster Z / Windows 10 64bit / Reverb G2 VR Gear. / Thrustmaster Cougar + MFD's / Buttkicker Simulation / Thrustmaster Cougar
#4404150 - 02/08/18 05:45 AM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

John Carpenter = genius and has an uncanny way of capturing a movie.

But agree The Thing was hardly a B movie.
I found it terrifying and it was a letterbox movie everyone went to it when it came out. Didn't you?
. In fact watching it still creeps me out to this day.
The why is both the way Carpenter makes movies and the subject place. And frankly the likelihood of it!
I practically was raised on Alistair MacLean novels and Ice Station Zebra was a later favorite. After that I thought for sure as an adult I would wind up on one of the poles in an either scientific or Spy mission!!
I guess The Thing really grabs me and 'rocked my world' is that there are UFO's and creatures under the ice (disclaimer; I never said that - I'd lose my Seti clearance!)

my favorite other carpenter classic is Big Trouble in Little China. also a true story
Starring the same lovable Kurt Russell.

Other favorites movies are Kelly's Heroes - but I would not call it cheesy. Has Clint Eastwood in it.
and btw;
ze "High Plains Drifter" a B movie!!! ....
NO!!!! ... Sacrilège!

#4404158 - 02/08/18 07:54 AM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
Boondocks wasn’t expected to be a B movie, and IMO was better than that, but definitely a “B” cult classic now after it didn’t do well in theaters. If the writer/director didn’t blow it having such a big ego, he was at one time expected to be one of the best new talents.
I couldn’t watch the sequel. Also, weirdly, SPF was unrecognizable for some reason. Either a car wreck or platic surgery gone wrong, I don’t know. At first I thought it was someone else.

I seen the second film first, had not seen or heard of the first one. The bluray of All Saints Day was in the local store and it looked interesting, so I took it home and really quite enjoyed it, thought it was cheesilly funny and the soundtrack hit the right note, so I went looking for the first film and got it on Amazon then got the soundtrack for both on iTunes.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4404159 - 02/08/18 07:56 AM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
"B" doesn't indicate low quality to me. "B" doesn't mean trash. There are bad B films, and very good ones. Just like there are AAA bombs.
B means you get exposure only to a very specific target audience. Maybe back in the early 1970s Westerns were still mainstream enough to consider High Plains Drifter an A movie (but certainly not AAA). Compared to today's production values and the fact that only Western fans go to watch a Western film in theaters (unless it happens to be directed by famous directors with a AAA cast, like Dances With Wolves, the True Grit remake, or No Country for Old Men) - well, in the light of these two aspects High Plains Drifter is a B film. Still not convinced? The film has a f'in' dwarf in it (it doesn't help that the sync voice actor in the German version was the same who voiced Stan Laurel).

And Kellys Heroes hits hard on the cheese. As a war film it is rather terrible (firing paint cans from the gun, really?). The plot - stealing Nazi gold with a tank - (and its twist) are taken straight from a pulp novel.
As an Italo-Western in a WW2 setting it's quite enjoyable, however. I just have to take off my tanker's goggles.

#4404174 - 02/08/18 11:43 AM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: Ssnake]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Ssnake

B means you get exposure only to a very specific target audience. .

I think maybe we are getting into an issue of semantics. What you just described is known in the industry now as an "independent" or "artsy" film. "B movie" most definitely and always has a negative connotation attached to it.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/08/18 11:50 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4404197 - 02/08/18 03:04 PM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: The Nephilim]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted by The Nephilim
1. Blood of Heroes
2. Night of the Comet..

Nice! Blood of Heroes was not only friggin awesome, it had a great cast to boot.
Rutger Hauer, Joan Chen, Vincent D’Onofrio, Delroy Lindo...

How about a foreign B movie?
Brotherhood of the Wolf.
It’s part 13th Warrior, part awesome martial arts movie.

Animated B movie:
Beowulf
Mostly a tech demo, but well done and excellent voice work with Ray Winstone, Anthony Hopkins, Robin Wright, Crispin Glover, Angelina Jolie...lots of recognizable actors.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4404205 - 02/08/18 03:43 PM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite

Animated B movie:
Beowulf
Mostly a tech demo, but well done and excellent voice work with Ray Winstone, Anthony Hopkins, Robin Wright, Crispin Glover, Angelina Jolie...lots of recognizable actors.

In what way was this a B movie? It had a production budget of 150 million and it had a very wide theatrical release.

#4404218 - 02/08/18 04:39 PM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Priceyplanecrasher Offline
Priceyplanecrasher  Offline

Netherlands
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Priceyplanecrasher

Zardoz, Sean Connery in a wedding dress!

A very strange yet watchable movie. Charlotte Rampling was quite the hottie when she was young!

Yes, rhis movie is beyond comical at times.
This is a very funny review about it, do not watch it if you haven't seen the movie as it contains massive spoilers.

#4404221 - 02/08/18 05:03 PM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

probably, just about any Western film ( early ones ) The Audie Murphy ones come to mind along with The World in his Arms , The Creature from the Black Lagoon and Flight to Mars.

#4404223 - 02/08/18 05:12 PM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: Priceyplanecrasher]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Priceyplanecrasher

Yes, rhis movie is beyond comical at times.
This is a very funny review about it, do not watch it if you haven't seen the movie as it contains massive spoilers.

To be honest, the only reason I watched the film was because I found out that it was directed by John Boorman who also directed "Excalibur" and "Deliverance" which happen to be 2 of my all-time favorite films.

#4404264 - 02/08/18 09:44 PM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
The Last Dragon - C'mon, who wouldn't like Motown and 80s mixed with martial arts? Bruce Leroy V Sho'Nuff the Shogun of Harlem? William H. Macy in one of his first role, with Vanity even!
Lifeforce - Need I say more? BEsides you get to see Patrick Stewart in a B-movie
Machete - Nuff said
Machete Kills - Just Carlos Estevez being in it makes it a B movie right off the bat
Sword and the Sorcerer - A triple sword with flying blades, woohoo!
Beastmaster - Marc Singer did have his own movie and wasn't just fighting aliens in "V"
Wizards - Ralph Bakshi at his finest (well, besides how he tricked the networks into letting him do Mighty Mouse)
Creepshow - Ed Harris with hair and dancing disco should be b movie status alone
Creepshow 2 - I BEAT YOU!!! I BEAT YOU!!!!!
Cleopatra Jones - Gotta love it
Breakin and Breakin 2 - I thought Breakin was a decent movie (plus you get to see Jean Claude Van Damme dance) - Electric Boogaloo was defintitely cheesy though

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4404269 - 02/08/18 09:59 PM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Well I just watched Zardoz and found it quite entertaining. Just enough boobs to keep me happy smile

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4404274 - 02/08/18 10:34 PM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Robin Hood with Kevin Coster.

I will go away forever in shame now smile

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4404281 - 02/08/18 11:22 PM Re: Cheesy B movies that you actually like [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
The definition of B movie, in this thread, is rather inconsistent.

Last edited by cichlidfan; 02/08/18 11:36 PM.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.