Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4401519 - 01/23/18 05:22 PM Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany
Watched american Football last year ( super ball) for the first time.
I enjoyed it even without knowing the rules. Ok i guess i got some rules from viewing after some time.
But a few questions left.
Why is it called touchdown even if the player doesn't drop the ball in the last square?
When is it allowed to realy shoot over this gigantic goal?
Is everything preplanned by the quaterback or does he change decissions once he got the ball?
I remember that one of the quarterback is somewhat old around 40. He is still a star of one team. Sorry i forgott his name.
Is it normal that there are players around 40 or is he an exception?
I remember that the coaches uses headsets. To who are they talking?

Sorry for not knowing your number one sport.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4401523 - 01/23/18 05:34 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'll let the experts answer your questions, but I've learned a lot myself picking this up at a Goodwill...

I've always known the rules for the most part, just not all of the individual positions and various plays. This book pretty much covers everything I've ever wanted to know about the game...

Attached Files DSCF3972.JPG

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4401525 - 01/23/18 05:41 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany
Thx for the tips but i guess it's to much Informationen for an event i only watch one time in a year.
I need the basics only.

#4401530 - 01/23/18 06:00 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4401531 - 01/23/18 06:01 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
There goes KK again being the party pooper. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4401532 - 01/23/18 06:07 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
The idea is to score points, and is done either by a touchdown (6 points?) or kicking the ball through the goalposts (3 points?). After a touchdown, the team can attempt to kick the ball through the goalposts for an extra 1 point. This is from what I recall, rules may have changed so feel free to correct me! smile

The side with the ball has 4 attempts to move the ball 10 years yards, hence the term "first and ten." If you hear "third and fifteen," that means it's the team's third attempt but they have to move the ball 15 yards, usually because the quarterback got tackled behind the line.

No idea why it's called a touchdown, but players don't have to drop the ball in the touchdown zone. If you're over the zone, it's as good as there. I don't know if fumbles in the touchdown zone count?

The quarterback (QB) can make calls and change them on the fly, usually called audibles. I think they are also in contact with the coaches on the sideline, hence the headsets. As for kicking the ball over the goalposts, they can do it as described above for 1 point or if they don't think they can make it to the end zone (touchdown) on the 4th attempt (4th down), they can try kicking the ball over the goalposts if they think they're close enough. Better to have 3pts than 0pts.

I may be wrong on a few things here.... learned most of this playing Madden NFL years ago biggrin

Last edited by - Ice; 01/25/18 09:31 AM. Reason: yards LOL!!

- Ice
#4401533 - 01/23/18 06:08 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Originally Posted by Rends
Watched american Football last year ( super ball) for the first time.
I enjoyed it even without knowing the rules. Ok i guess i got some rules from viewing after some time.
But a few questions left.

Why is it called touchdown even if the player doesn't drop the ball in the last square?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000828411/Why-is-it-called-a-Touchdown

You kick a point after scoring a touchdown which is only 1 point. If you kick a field goal when you can't score a touchdown it's worth 3 points.

Is everything preplanned by the quaterback or does he change decissions once he got the ball?
QB has 1-2 plays called in the huddle, once they get to the line of scrimmage and the QB sees what defense he's up against he can call an audible which is usually the back up play. All teams I'm sure have set plays that the QB can check off to once they see the defense. When they put the running back in motion, and a line backer chases him out, that tells the QB they're playing man to man coverage instead of a zone defense.

I remember that one of the quarterback is somewhat old around 40. He is still a star of one team. Sorry i forgott his name.
Tom Brady is 40, and going to the Super Bowl again for hopefully his 6 ring!

Is it normal that there are players around 40 or is he an exception?

He's very much the exception, though QB will probably have the older players because for the most part they aren't taking a beating like the others. Hamilton who came over from the Steelers is also 40 I believe. So the Patriots have both the oldest Offense and Defensive players in the NFL right now.

I remember that the coaches uses headsets. To who are they talking?

The Offensive coordinator has 10 secs to talk to his QB, then it shuts off, same with the Defensive coordinator. Only 1 player on Off and Def has coms with their coordinators. They both call in the plays/coverage, the 2 players will have a lime green sticker on their helmets. That's how you know which person has coms.It's always the QB, and the captain of the Def. The coaches can also talk to other coaches up in their booth, they'll radio down plays or coverage's to run if they're seeing a team doing something repeatedly that is working, or not working.

hope the answers help

Last edited by Top Gun; 01/23/18 06:22 PM.

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#4401537 - 01/23/18 06:15 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
It is called touchdown because the ball had to put on the ground after crossing the goal line. Comes from rugby.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
#4401538 - 01/23/18 06:15 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Heck, I learned some stuff as well from Top Gun's answers!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4401544 - 01/23/18 06:27 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
40 is pretty darned old for an NFL player today.

The Quarterback you're thinking of is Tom Brady. He and his team are playing for their 6th Championship title soon. Brady is 40 years old.

All this football is nice, but I recommend that you just keep watching hockey

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4401548 - 01/23/18 07:08 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
What it was, was football

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4401560 - 01/23/18 07:30 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I'lll throw some answers as well but most of it is already answered.

Originally you had to touch the ball to the endzone but now you just have to place one foot inside the endzone. In some instances you dont even need to place a foot inside the zone. if you are in the air and you will land outside of the zone in the out of bounds area AND you started before the endzone then the ball has to pass over the line of endzone or over/touch the marker cone. its somewhat complicated but here are the exact rules.

A touchdown is scored when:

(a) the ball is on, above, or behind the plane of the opponents’ goal line (extended) and is in possession of a runner who has advanced from the field of play into the end zone; or

(b) a ball in possession of an airborne runner is on, above, or behind the plane of the goal line, and some part of the ball passed over or inside the pylon; or

(c) a ball in player possession touches the pylon, provided that, after contact by an opponent, no part of the player’s body, except his hands or feet, struck the ground before the ball touched the pylon; or

(d) any player who is legally inbounds catches or recovers a loose ball (3-2-3) that is on, above, or behind the opponent’s goal line; or

(e) the Referee awards a touchdown to a team that has been denied one by a palpably unfair act.

SUPPLEMENTAL NOTES

(1) The ball is automatically dead when it is in legal possession of a player and is on, above, or behind the opponent’s goal line.

(2) If a player attempts to catch a pass, the ball is not dead, and a touchdown is not scored, until the receiver completes the catch. See Rule 3, Section 2, Article 7.

You can technically kick a field goal any time you have possession of the ball at the begin of a play. In reality though you only kick when you are within field goal range AND you are on your 4th (last) down. To kick on 3rd is foolish as you might make a pass or run to get closer. It might be that they changed the rules to say you can ONLY kick on 4th but I dont think that is the case. it is just kind of an understood gentlemens rule to only kick on 4th. When you score a touchdown you get 6 points. A field goal is worth 3 points. Also when you score a touchdown you are given the opportunity you score a second time (run/pass worth 2 or kick worth 1). So a touchdown is worth 6, 7 or 8 points. A field goal kick is worth 3 points. It is much better to go for the touchdown vs fieldgoal if it is possible.

They plan out a whole book of plays. Then in the huddle they call a play and an alternate play. Then when they get in formation and see what kind of defense they have they decide to go with original or alternate play.

I hate football. Such a worthless sport that has ruined so much of our educational system.

#4401565 - 01/23/18 07:38 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
The side with the ball has 4 attempts to move the ball 10 years,

BAH that's for sissies ! We Canucks do it in 3 attempts when it's below 0 and snowing biggrin

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4401599 - 01/23/18 10:05 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany
Thx guys. You helped me alot..

#4401602 - 01/23/18 10:23 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Master]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by Master
I hate football. Such a worthless sport that has ruined so much of our educational system.

I came a bit late to American Football, I was 31 when I first discovered it and started to play, with a few friends we put together a team and got some sponsorship and played in a league in the North of Scotland. We played college rules rather than NFL rules, I'm not going into the differences as they are minor. Even we had a multi page playbook that we had to learn and practice

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4401605 - 01/23/18 10:27 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Rends, allow me to elaborate on what Ice said.

If the Player takes the ball across that Goal Line (Think of it as a Vertical Plane), even just an inch, but falls back into the playing field, it is a touchdown.
The player just has to break the plane of the Goal LIne. That is why you might see someone try to cut across the front corner pylon at a slant.
Now, is said player breaks the plane, he has to have CONTROL of the football. Should the Player fumble the ball and it bounces out of bounds, it is Not a touchdown, but actually a touchback, where the opposing team now gets the ball. Doh!

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4401607 - 01/23/18 10:28 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I learned everything I know about football from:

[Linked Image]

#4401617 - 01/23/18 11:06 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
^ biggrin

Every time I go into Target I'm tempted...
Electronic Football Game

I did get a new ball recently to replace the Nerf (Target clearance, under $20.00, not real leather)...

[Linked Image]

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4401620 - 01/23/18 11:13 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

#4401783 - 01/25/18 12:20 PM Re: Amerikanskis, pls explain football to me [Re: Rends]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
If you can't get your head around the many rules and conventions of Gridiron Rends, try the English game of Cricket (Though more that often we get thrashed by the ex-colonials that we bequeathed it to) much simpler:

"You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.