Rate This Thread
Hop To
#44012 - 01/14/00 12:19 AM Fighter pilot scan - non combat  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

G'day Andy,

As you may know I'm working on a Carrier Operations guide with Jim 'Hornit' Campisi. During my research and flight test I found the requirement for an effective instrument scan is never more critical than the last half mile to the ship.

My Question:

I would love to hear your views on what makes an effective instrument scan and any tip's you have relating this to the (any) Sim.

Thanks in advance, Ham.

HAM'S FA18 ONLINE OPERATIONS

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#44013 - 01/14/00 05:11 AM Re: Fighter pilot scan - non combat  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Ham

The 'scan' that you refer to is called the 'instrument crosscheck'.

For starters, the crosscheck is not a random look across the instrument panel. It is a specific process that begins with the understanding that there are two types of instruments...control and performance.

The basic idea is that the pilot uses the control instruments to establish a desired aircraft attitude. Then, he uses the performance instruments to check whether or not that attitude does what he wants (for example, hold level flight or a desired airspeed).

There are two control instruments...the attitude indicator (ADI) and the engine performance instrument (usually a RPM gauge).

The performance instruments are all the rest...airspeed, altitude, heading, navigation, climb rate, etc.

The process is for the pilot to set a pitch and bank attitude on the ADI and a power setting on the RPM gauge. Then he checks his airspeed, altitude, etc to see if the chosen attitude and power setting are getting the desired result. If not, he goes back to the ADI and RPM gauge and makes a correction...and then repeats the check of the performance gauges....over and over again!

The instrument crosscheck always starts with the control instrument, goes to a performance instrument, and then returns to the control instrument. That is why the ADI is centrally located in most instrument panels and HUDs. The ADI is like the hub of a wheel and the spokes go out to the performance gauges.

The important point to remember about the instrument crosscheck is that there is not just one. There is a specific crosscheck for each maneuver. For example, if you were making a level turn to a specific heading, you would be crosschecking attitude against altitude and RPM against airspeed. Heading would not be important until you approached the desired roll out heading. The nav instruments would not be in the check at all. If you were doing a climb at a constant speed, the performance instruments that you would be concentrating on would be the airspeed and heading. For an ILS, the workload would increase significantly because more of the performance instruments become primary...airspeed, descent rate, heading, glide slope, and course.

Our sims make an excellent instrument trainer. In fact, I think the typical sim is more difficult to fly 'on the gauges' than a real airplane...the reason is the imprecision of our control sticks and throttles.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Andy

#44014 - 01/13/00 05:50 PM Re: Fighter pilot scan - non combat  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just the ticket, thanks again Andy.

I'm saving that one for reference.

Cheer's, Dave 'Ham' Hamilton

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.