Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 175 of 227 1 2 173 174 175 176 177 226 227
#4401266 - 01/21/18 09:31 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Welcome to the fray jerbear. Good luck to your pilot.

Thanks for the report Banjoman, I will register my new pilot.

Thanks carrick. I have decided to model my reports after yours. To the point. Leaves more time for flying, cutting wood, horses, hunting, leather work and honey do’s. this retirement is hard work!

Last edited by MFair; 01/21/18 09:32 PM.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4401271 - 01/21/18 10:00 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: carrick58]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted by carrick58
Full of it: Ur becoming a Hawk among the chickens . Well done.

Thanks Carrick!

Dark Canuck, glad your pilot is finally shipping out. Perhaps now he'll be too busy to sleep and have those awful nightmares?

Banjoman, thank you for the continued stats updates. Please note Esc. N57 has been transformed into Esc. SPA57. We need more of your reports.

MFair, glad you're still posting your reports. They seem sparse rather of late.

Sorry guys, I'm cracking the whip here. Carrick and Raine are excused.

22 September, 1917 Harlebeke
Jasta 18

The Schwarm was out in full force on this day patrolling enemy lines above Menin. The weather was surprisingly good and the flying conditions were excellent. As soon as Aldi brought his flight on station, he noticed distant specks moving toward his formation. He couldn’t tell at this distance if it was friend or foe. He adjusted his course to intercept and checked his guns. The battle for the Menin Road was raging below, but his main concern was a group of unidentified airplanes coming closer and closer. Finally the shapes started to become clearer and more recognizable. They were in range and Aldi finally realized what his flight was up against and could not believe his eyes. The silhouettes were familiar, but Aldi still had problems believing it. These were archaic Morane Parasols, vastly outclassed by their own Albatros V-strutters. The British pilots were either very brave, very stupid or desperate. Their offensive must have called for every available airplane to participate in the operation, no matter how old.
Schwarzkopf led his Kette in the attack on the helpless Englanders. He was fully aware of the rear gunners in these 2-seaters and approached the enemy from below. The crews in the Moranes didn’t turn back when they saw their attackers and kept their formation intact. Aldi was impressed by their bravery. He selected one of them on the extreme right and directed the rest of the flight to pick one for themselves. The monoplanes came up fast, Aldi was able to let loose a few bursts from behind before his target slowed down significantly with a damaged engine and Schwarzkopf was forced to swerve out of the way or risk a collision. He pulled up and saw the gunner of the stricken plane training his weapon on him.

[Linked Image]

Thankfully the speed difference was too great for the rear gunner to swing his guns fast enough to take a shot. Aldi breathed a sigh of relief after helplessly watching the barrel of the gun being aimed at him. He swung his machine around for another run, but one of his wingmen was already finishing the job. The Parasol was already diving on its side trailing a thick plume of black smoke. Same scene was playing out all across the sky.

[Linked Image]

Monoplanes were falling out of the sky one after another in quick succession all smoking profusely. It was all over inside one minute. Aldi watched dark traces of smoke crisscrossing the blue sky where the brave men of the Royal Flying Corps made their last stand just a moment ago. Aldi gathered his Kette and returned to Harlebeke without any casualties. While in the landing pattern circling the airfield he kept thinking of the crews that senselessly laid their lives for their country. He began to think that this war will not be won by the men with the greater sense of duty or more courage. The enemy has just demonstrated that they are just as determined as the German pilots and the victor will have to be determined by other means. What these means are, he did not know. All he knows right now is that he has to get ready for the next mission, shoot down more enemies or fall himself.

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4401276 - 01/21/18 10:22 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
Oh god...

A Morane in latter 1917. That's a terrifying thought.

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#4401320 - 01/22/18 02:40 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

MFair: Leatherwork: we have that in common, albeit I just tinker with re-dyeing and cutting Gun Holsters so far. As for Reports, I copied the ones from BoB the cut the size down for more Flying time ( the wife wanted more Yard Time and shopping with her.) as time went by.

Full ofit: The French used everything outdated machines . What was the Nickname Albatross Fodder ?

Last edited by carrick58; 01/22/18 02:47 AM.
#4401371 - 01/22/18 03:55 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Fullofit, I have been getting a few things off my bucket list. It is nice to be back in the skies! Nice screenshots as usual!

Carrick, i sent you a pm on the leather work

Geoffrey Goddard
RFC 1
Flanders

Jan. 22. Attacked another airfield southeast of Douai today. CO says Good Job! One of our flight was missing but showed up before dark no worse for wear. We all took damage. I do not like these missions.

Jan. 23 I lead six planes on a deep offensive patrol around Douai. Southeast of Douai I spotted 3 two sweaters and we climbed to attack. They immediately turned away but we gave chase. We caught up with them over a Hun airfield and lining up on one sent it down smoking and spinning. I saw another going down and to my horror saw one of my flight collide with the third. Forming up with the remaining 4 planes we continued patrol. Out of the clouds above 6 DV’s appeared and dove on us. I was hit immediately and went totally defensive. Instruments shot out but good control. Turning into one Hun another appeared in front of me. I heard and felt the collision but my machine seemed ok. I dove for the clouds and home. All the way home I looked at the 3 holes in my windscreen and wondered why I was not dead! Back at our home field I learn 3 of my flight were killed. Together we had downed 5 planes but that did not help my feelings much. I filed a claim for the DFWC.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4401389 - 01/22/18 05:41 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Fullofit, haha, never thought I would get nagged to spend more time flying a flight sim. Seriously, being away in the states for such a long time has dampened my spirit concerning the DID. I guess being away for so long has just gotten me out of the habit of flying every day. I promise I'll crank something out in a few days. Btw, my British pilot ran into your boys yesterday but it was an uneventful meeting. Would you be offended if he refers to you and your boys in an unflattering manner? biggrin

Last edited by Banjoman; 01/22/18 05:43 PM.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4401391 - 01/22/18 05:45 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Mark, oh no, not more of those dreaded 2-sweaters. biggrin

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4401427 - 01/22/18 11:02 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
You Guys rock!

Bamjoman, forget the States and ship out to France, your spirits will be lifted instantly. Just look at Dark Canuck.
Originally Posted by Banjoman
Would you be offended if he refers to you and your boys in an unflattering manner? biggrin

And this after Aldi's newlyfound respect for the valiant foe? Alright, but nothing obscene, unless ... it's some kind of euphemism for women's breasts.
Go Banjoman!

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4401430 - 01/22/18 11:35 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted by Banjoman
Mark, oh no, not more of those dreaded 2-sweaters. biggrin

Banjoman, some things never die!

#4401435 - 01/23/18 01:14 AM enemy sweaters [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

I guess u could say that They were Hanging There ? yep

:

Attached Files SJ175_PBB0  sweathers.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 01/23/18 01:24 AM.
#4401437 - 01/23/18 01:20 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Jeffery Vickers
2nd Lt., Rfc
41 Sqn, B Flight Commander
Lealvillers, Flanders.
France
5 Victory's.

Jan 22, 1918.

Raided a enemy A.F. over at Monchy. I was the Bomb assessment person so was the last one over target. I dropped my 4 bombs and caused a little damage then home and Tea.

Attached Files CFS3 2018-01-22 16-39-37-03.jpgCFS3 2018-01-22 16-40-39-67.jpg
#4401634 - 01/24/18 04:09 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
It's great to see the posts coming back. Fullofit, hats off once again for a great story and the best WOFF pictures on the web! MFair, old friend, really glad to see you back! Jerbear, welcome to the war. I hope you enjoy the campaign. DiD campaigning is where WOFF comes truly alive. And Carrick, you're a machine, man. Do you eat or just fly? Amazing! And Banjoman, I really hope you can stick with us to the end!

I'm finally caught up with my writing. Corderoy was just promoted Major in the game, but I'm keeping him a Captain a while longer until it works with the story. He has downed four EA in the past few days, certain kills, but the confirmation gods are angry again...

Diary of Capt. Geoffrey Corderoy, RFC
Part 28: 21-25 September 1917

21 Sep 1917 – Ste-Marie-Cappel

“B” Flight is well settled in now. I am blessed with Horn as deputy, and Soden, Rutherford, Crompton, and a new man called Rowley. Soden, Rutherford, and Crompton are all Canadians (although Soden has lived in England since he was a boy) so we are a high-spirited and profane lot.
In the air before first light again, this time for a meeting with several RE8s, which we accompanied south to Monchy. Very hazy and cloudy down low. The sunrise about the cloud layer is breathtaking. Uneventful patrol with no Huns about at all.

Late morning patrol south of Monchy again. We are to attack the Hun balloon line there. I lead, diving from 4000 feet to 2000 feet over the final mile and firing more than 100 rounds. The Hun balloon ignites as I pass by. We circle the area and drop some Cooper bombs on the balloonatics on the ground – just for good measure. The others can witness the kill, so the balloon is recorded as my fourteenth victory.

22 Sep 1917

We are back to Monchy at first light. There is another balloon close to where we bagged yesterday’s. It does not go up when I attack, but Crompton is close behind and gets the kill.

In the afternoon we have a northern OP in the Ypres sector. We spot a large group of Albatri heading south over Menen. I try to manoeuvre to approach them from the east, but the Huns spot us and a wild engagement follows. I damage one, then another, then another, but it is impossible to do more than fire short bursts, for every time one settles on one Hun another drops in behind. For a few minutes I am entertaining two of the Huns and decide I’ve had enough. I put my grid into a spin and dive through a cloud, pulling out over the smashed town at 2500 feet. Before turning for home I look about and discover a lovely fat Albatros only 500 yards away, heading for a nearby aerodrome. I am on him in seconds and send him down.

Rowley, it seems, saw all this from a distance, so the Albatros becomes number fifteen!

Our last SE5s were returned to the AD today. All SE5a types from here on.

[Linked Image]
"For a few minutes I am entertaining two of the Huns..."

23 Sep 1917

Lead the dawn flight, with Caldwell along for the jollies of it all, to attack the Hun field at Riencourt, south of Monchy. We make a mess of the place and get away untouched despite heavy Archie.

In the air again at one-thirty this aft, this time bound for Halluin. Jenkin joins us. As we approach the target we see several EA circling to land. It is not healthy to mix with Huns with bombs aboard, so I lead the lads right through the circling Albatri and let the bombs go among the hangars and sheds. Then we each pick a partner for the dance. I get behind a yellow machine and close to ten yards before firing. The machine lurches over and spins straight down. There is too much Archie to dawdle and watch him crash, so I break away to the south and fire a flare for the others to regroup for the flight home.

Back at "home", the first two Nissens are up and the Major has assigned the first to the flight commanders, so we are nicely settled in. Caldwell set up a work team to build “bedroom” partitions and a sitting area. We have a fat little Canadian stove which keeps the evening chill at bay, and two of the squadron’s many dogs, Kate and Black Boy, have moved in and sleep on an old blanket in the corner.

In the late afternoon we borrow a tender and, with a larcenous corporal named Connors, head out on a scrounging expedition in Hazebrouck. The town is a rail hub, and anything khaki en route to Ypres passes through it. The shops, still seemingly untouched by war, abound although the prices are somewhat high. We find a good second-hand shop and buy a plain table and seating for six, a pair of armchairs, a bookshelf, threadbare carpet, and a smaller table so that Caldwell can set up his gramophone. Near the station we visit a YMCA canteen serving tea and meat pies, after which we collect some champagne and a couple of bottles of brandy to serve guests at our official hut-opening.

Back at the field, Chidlaw-Roberts has landed with “A” Flight and has bagged a Hun. We start our little get-together when they get out of the squadron office. The party grows, our comfortable Nissen filled with squadron mates seeking respite from their stifling tents. The brandy disappears quickly, but Major Patrick shows up with a bottle of whiskey and then authorized a raid on the squadron anteroom supply.

24 Sep 1917

Out at dawn. Orders are to provide cover for some Camels who are to strafe Hun formations moving up near Lille. The chaps from 43 do a wonderful job beating up on ground Huns! Several yellow Albatri approach from the south to attack the Camels and fail to see us. It is too easy. We pounce on them like gannets and both Rowley and Crompton claim a Hun. I circle about with one who tries to get the protection of a balloon position, but he is too late. A long burst sends him crashing into a tree line. I file a claim but none of the other chaps saw my kill. Lieut. Guy promises to call around.

Lunch of bully and tea – there is no time to make for our little mess in the village. Back up at one p.m for Southern OP. Attack seven Albatri over Monchy and find one that is terribly good. He holes my grid two or three times, but makes the mistake of turning towards Horn, thinking he had me. I get behind in a flash and drive him into a spin, then follow him down and finish him off. Second claim of the day!

At tea the mail arrives. Letters from Reg, who has defied Mother and joined the RFC after all. He is bound for Oxford for training. Lieut-Colonel Scott visits and he and the Major join my flight for dinner in town. Madam Duclos does up goose in a red wine sauce with asparagus. Colonel Scott is duly impressed. He seems like a first-rate fellow. He misses his time with 60 Squadron [1]. We talk for some time and he asks me if I got to know Bishop well. I told him honestly that Bish and I were not close. I always felt there was no real room in the man’s world for anyone else. After Scott left, Major Patrick told me to tread lightly around the Wing Commander. Bishop was, apparently, something of a protégé of his.

25 Sep 1917

In the air a little before seven this morning, and have the pleasure of Caldwell tagging along. We are to shepherd some RE8s to attack troop columns behind Passchendaele Ridge. I ask the armourer to rig up bombs for our grids. The flight over is peaceful, not another group of machines in the sky, it seems. One the RE8s have done their best, I lead our flight down to release our 25 pounders among what appears to be an encampment and training area, then climb away to find our lambs. It takes several minutes to regain our height of 8000 ft. The RE8s are a couple of miles off to the east and we are still turning towards them when one fires a red flare. They are under attack. Six Huns are on them.

It takes another couple of minutes to reach the scrap. As soon as we are spotted, four of the Huns dive away. Only their leader and one other remain. Rowley and I attack the leader, who puts up a stout defense. I know that our SE5a machines are faster than an Albatros DV, but this EA seems to outclimb us. We fight for nearly ten minutes before I get a chance for a shot. It is a full deflection attempt, but I aim in front of the Hun and let him fly through my spray of rounds. Something must have hurt his machine, for he straightens out and dives eastward. The SE takes only seconds to get on his tail and I fire as he crosses his lines. Tracer flashes past me from hundred of guns below, as I am down to 1200 feet. The Hun turns on his back and crashes. Rowley should be my witness, but I cannot find him.

I am barely over our trenches when the engine loses power. The ground below is a cratered swamp. There is no chance of reaching the fields beyond. My only hope is to put the grid down on the banks of the Lys, where the land is slightly less torn. I switch off, holding the machine off the ground as long as possible. At length, it stalls onto the mud. Thankfully it does not somersault, but it swings around until the undercarriage collapses. I am out of sight of the enemy artillery and quickly find my way into our own gun lines, where I can call the squadron. I have to walk three miles to the nearest road. My wait there is not long. A tender arrives with the recovery team. It leaves them and drives me back.

At Ste-Marie-Cappel, Rowley has not returned. Lieut. Guy informs me that he has been on the phone again today, but none of my three claims from the past two days can be confirmed. Wing was approached but instructed him to mark them as driven down only. I wonder if my conversation with Lieut-Colonel Scott was impolitic.

There is one more flight. I replace Duncan from Caldwell’s flight. He took my place earlier while I was struggling through mud in my fug boots. We are to head for the line Estaires-Lille where there has been heavy activity. We sight two German two-seaters and dive on them. I manage to close in on one from behind and below while the gunner is distracted by another SE. I fire a long burst and the machine streams white smoke, and then suddenly tumbles vertically 8000 feet into the mud below. None of the others can absolutely confirm that it crashed, so this one remains in the “To be determined” column.

[Linked Image]
"I fire a long burst and the machine streams white smoke..."

Spent most of the evening in the hangars with Sergeant Nicod. He explains to me that many of our engine problems are because of the gearing on the French-built 200 hp Hispano-Suizas. The gears are not properly hardened, he says. He has been indenting for British-built parts to replace them. A few of our grids have British Wolseley Adders, a license-built version of the Hisso. These are apparently far more reliable. The problem is that the needed parts are not forthcoming, and most machines are still arriving with the French engines and gears. As we speak he runs up a French engine on a bench mount. As I watch, the vibration from the gears cause the thing to leak oil frightfully. Within a minute or two, the bench is thoroughly coated. [2]

“If the Hun was a sporting man,” he said, “he’d take a tea break until we got this bloody mess sorted out.”

NOTES:

[1] Alan John Lance “Jack” Scott commanded 60 Squadron from March 1917 until July, when he was wounded and replaced by Major William Kennedy-Cochrane-Patrick. As of September 1917, he was a lieutenant-colonel and commanded 11th Wing, II Brigade, Second Army, of which 60 Squadron was part.

[2] By autumn of 1917, the engine situation was serious. The RFC knew the units were defective, yet had little choice but to send the SE5s up and hope for the best. The French, who used the same engines in their SPADs, complained that the machines were grounded two days out of three! To add to the early woes of the SE5a, the radiators leaked. Newly arrived aircraft commonly had their factory-installed radiators replaced at the Aircraft Depot before going into service.

Attached Files Two on me.pngDFW.png
#4401671 - 01/24/18 04:11 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Raine, crackerjack story from the master! Congratulations on the victories. Geoffrey is making a bit of a reputation for himself.

#4401681 - 01/24/18 05:33 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Jeffery Vickers
2nd Lt., Rfc
Lealvillers, Flanders.
France
5 Victory's.

Jan 23, 1918.

We lost 4 a/c today.

Mission: Dawn Patrol. Ran into 2 flights of Enemy Scouts I broke mostly to the right got off some shots then caught a packet in the wing a lot of ripping and flapping noise with tha/c pulling hard left. All I could do was corckscrew down out of the fight. Later, A Flight posted a missing Pilot.

Mission: Balloon attack. I was in the 2nd Vee of 5 a/c diving on a Gas Bag near Vimy. The dive seemed too Steep so eased off power and pulled up Watching the 1st Vee firing the Bag exploded and to my Horror all 3 a/c became Torches and crashed one after the other.

Attached Files CFS3 2018-01-23 09-33-10-53.jpgCFS3 2018-01-23 15-57-51-69.jpgCFS3 2018-01-23 09-29-16-07.jpgCFS3 2018-01-23 09-15-16-02.jpgCFS3 2018-01-23 09-14-53-37.jpg
#4401682 - 01/24/18 05:38 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Just a note: This is the 1st time that I ever saw a Gas bag take out 3 a/c. Talk about game immersion Wow. In the past I have seen, In OFF, 1 plane crash in a balloon, a mid air by a gas bag, diving on a balloon and going into the ground. But 3 a/c This ?

#4401720 - 01/24/18 10:28 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Jeffery Vickers
2nd Lt., Rfc
Lealvillers, Flanders.
France
6 Victory's.

Jan 24, 1918.

Another Balloon mission this one by Monchy. Cpt Roy said that the rest of the Sqn will fly a diversion , 5 a/c, while I would take Davis as my wing man and get the gas bag. A flight would provide 3 a/c as Top Cover. We flew at 1500 meters then dropped down to the Balloons height for the final run in amid lite snow falling and no enemy fire. I held down both triggers till the balloon went up in flames and my Lewis went empty followed by my Vickers jamming after firing 223 rds. Then it was full power and Home for Tea with No Losses. Later the Maj tossed me a Gong , Air force Medal, said Its yours. Victory 6 confirmed

Attached Files CFS3 2018-01-24 14-01-56-95.jpgCFS3 2018-01-24 14-02-26-58.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 01/24/18 10:32 PM.
#4401722 - 01/24/18 10:31 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Raine: Great Reading with rich detail.

#4401806 - 01/25/18 03:28 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Albert Earl Godfrey

12 Jul 1917 @ 15h21 Patrol to the lines North of Lens.

Godfrey jousted with Mongoose as they crossed the field returning from a quick tennis match with Grid and Moley. It had been the usually outcome with Grid and Moley quickly putting Godfrey and Mongoose in their place. He hoped that one day soon they might just be able to hold their own against the pair.

The sun was on the descendant and the afternoon was beginning to cool off but both of them were in quite a sweat after the match and decided to go wash up quickly as they were soon to be on the afternoon patrol.

The pair met up again on their way to the mess to grab a quick bite and some tea on their way to the briefing room. Godfrey had developed quite a liking for Mongoose. He had only been with them since June but was showing some great skill in the air and was generally up for anything. A right jovial chap indeed.

They arrived at the briefing just in time. The “B” flight team, Berkley, Grid, Billy and Pappy were already in their seats and mixing it up some. Bill, Beck, Moley, Horn, and Jack of “A” flight were animated in some tactical display.

The C.O. brought things quickly to order and outlined the mission for the day. They were to Patrol up to Lens, Turn north east towards the lines, and cross over towards Harbourdin, then in a wide arc turn north west towards the Lys river and the rail yard south of La Gorgue at which point they were to set a course to return to base. The objective was to note any concentration of enemy troops in the area and note any buildup around Harbourdin.

They took off from Filescamp at 15h21 attaining a height of 5900 ft just north of the field before setting out towards Lens. The sky was generally clear with good visibility interspersed with some mixed cumulus and wispy streamers.

At 15h41 they arrived over Lens at 6600 ft with “A” flight trailing well behind.
At 15h48 they crossed the lines at 7700 feet and it was shortly after while scanning the skies that Godfrey noted three albatross types at l1 O’clock high. They were about 1500 feet above and turned east, probably having sighted “B” flight. Godfrey took the flight up in pursuit. It wasn’t long before one of them peeled off and came down to dance. The other two continued east.

Godfrey kept his eye on the advancing Albatros DIII which skidded by him on his port side. He noted the markings of MFJ1. Turning to attack, Godfrey quickly backed off when he noted that the rest of his flight were like a pack of hungry wolves all but forming a scrum around the Hun. He observed the chase which ended rather quickly as the Hun plowed into the earth below raising a cloud of dust. Godfrey circled as the flight began to reform and once they were all in place he noted that Mongoose was missing. There was no sign of him anywhere and Godfrey had to conclude that he had either gone under or returned across the lines. He greatly hoped it was the latter as he reflected on the days earlier events.

Reformed they quickly made up time arriving over Harbourdin at 15h54 at 7700 feet and receiving a welcoming archie barrage. There were two Albs circling to land below and Godfrey could only surmise that these were the very same two who had left the engagement earlier.

Having noted the aircraft on the field, Godfrey added those mental noted to his report and took the flight west towards the rail yard south of La Gorgue. They arrived there at 15h02 and then headed south to Filescamp.

Back at base Godfrey reported in as did all the others but none could say what had happened to Mongoose. Reports later came in that he had been forced down on our side of the lines south east of Neuve Chapelle with what were assumed to be mortal wounds.

A day that started out stupendously was now full of despondency. Godfrey preyed that things were not as bad as reported. He had developed a great liking for Mongoose. He tried to put the issue out of mind and headed for the mess for something stronger than a tea.

Gentlemen, I have been just catching up with everyone's reports and thanks for providing an excellent read over my morning's two cup wakeup.

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 01/25/18 03:29 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4401818 - 01/25/18 04:24 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Carrick, MFair, Robert -- thanks greatly for the comments. As much as I enjoy writing these stories, it is comforting to know they are enjoyed by you. There seems to be some change in store for Corderoy...

Diary of Capt. Geoffrey Corderoy, RFC
Part 29: 26 September 1917

26 Sep 1917 – Ste-Marie-Cappel

“Lovely morning, sir!” says Corporal McGlashon. “I’d open your curtains, sir, if you had any. Or if you had a window.” I look up from my pillow at the corrugated metal of the wall curving over the bed. The corporal lights a small oil lamp on my chest of drawers. Although I can’t see from my cubicle, it seems still dark outside.

“Time?” I mumble.

“Five on the nose, sir. Patrol is at six. I’m told to inform you that you have new orders, sir.”

The good fellow leaves me some hot water in my shaving bowl. I splash some on my face and soap down and rinse my chest and underarms before pulling on a singlet against the chill of the morning. I shave quickly. Some of the chaps skip shaving in the morning, but I find it uplifting. Besides, if I were to be shot down, God forbid, I don’t want the Huns to think that we lack discipline. Not only that, but it’s damned hard to get a good shave once you’ve smeared your stubble with whale grease before a flight.

I head over to the squadron office, noting that my knee is feeling better than it has since my last wound. At this rate, I might even play cricket in the spring, although football is still probably out of the question. And I need to preserve an excuse for not dancing, at which I have always been appallingly bad!

Dunkirk was bombed last night, and German raiders have been reported at several points along the front. Our southern O.P. is cancelled, and we are to remain on standby from six o’clock until relieved by Caldwell’s flight. There is time for a quick tea and toast over in the “A” Flight mess tent. Caldwell is there and says he will join me if we are called up before eight. His time in France is nearly up and he is looking to add to his bag of Huns. A fine example of a rugged New Zealander, Caldwell is perhaps second only to Major Patrick as a pilot, but he is frankly not a fine shot. Despite that fact, he has nine Huns to his credit.

A couple of minutes before six the klaxon sounds and a runner from the office tells me that enemy aircraft were spotted heading west over Armentieres, and we are to intercept over St-Omer, just fifteen or so miles to the west. It takes forever to run up the engines, but at last we are bouncing over the grass and airborne. I turn immediately and climb towards the still-dark west.

The sun gradually spreads its light and warmth in front of us. It is a fine morning, a piercing blue sky speckled with only a few fluffy clouds. Jenkins pulls alongside and waggles his wings. He has caught sight of two aircraft, now heading east. They are two thousand feet above us and a mile and a half to our south. I turn gently towards them, opening up the throttle. It is still not certain if they are enemy.

It takes a minute or more before I see the triangular shape of their tailplanes. Most un-British, it seems. The machines are greenish-brown. The French seem to favour buff-coloured machines. We level off behind and below the pair of two-seaters and gain on them quickly now. Their black crosses now stand out. The closer machine is on the left and I claim this one as mine, drawing up closer and closer. Now I climb and begin to fire with both Vickers and Lewis. The Hun banks and begins to spiral down. He is still under control. This time I dive on him from above and fire in front of him. He flies through my stream of rounds, noses down, and tumbles earthward. I see the flash of his hitting the ground just north of Strazeele.

[Linked Image]
"He flies through my stream of rounds, noses down, and tumbles earthward."

I climb to rejoin the others, who seem to have dispatched the other Hun. For a minute I consider proceeding to St-Omer, but the Huns we have packaged off to the underworld are likely those seen over Armentieres. There is no sign of Archie over St-Omer, and not another aeroplane in the sky except our six SEs, so off we go for the lines. I am in a sporting mood this morning and in high snuff about the two-seater. We therefore go Hun-hunting, patrolling from Lille up to Menen. I spy a group of scouts heading south – we are both around 10000 feet, and we turn to approach them with the morning sun at our back.
We are still about 800 yards away when they spot us and a wonderful tangle begins. I circle about with one EA for a long time, neither of us able to get in position for a shot at the other. After what is probably the hundredth rotation, we are down to 1500 feet and the Hun makes for his lines, just south of the Lys. I follow, but almost immediately begin to take hits from the enemy trench lines. There is far too much hate coming in my direction so I break off and head home, quite alone now.

Back at the aerodrome, the others show up singly. All are in fine fettle. Beside the two two-seaters, which Caldwell swears were DFWs, Horn has claimed two Albatri, and Crompton and Jenkins one each. The Major listens in on our report and calls me aside for a bit of a dressing-down for not proceeding to St-Omer as directed. He ends by expressing his congratulations on our success with the Albatri.

Lieut. Guy, the RO, confides that the Major has spoken “rather strongly” with the Wing Commander about my recent claims being denied, which has resulted in some good news. Through Brigade, the Wing was able to confirm the DV that I downed behind Passchaedaele Ridge. It was seen to fall by one of our balloon detachments. They around confirmed yesterday’s DFW claimed near Halluin, as the wreckage was spotted by a DH4 exactly where I’d reported it!

There is no question about today’s kill, which fell so close that we plan to drive there later today, so now my count of official victories is up to eighteen.

Shortly before one the klaxon sounds again. Our machines are run out and as I sit watching the temperature gauge, Lieut. Guy informs me we are to patrol the lines for ten miles from Menen south. Hunnish machines are directing artillery onto our guns.

Approaching at 9000 feet, we see two specks in the distance, flying parallel to our trenches about a mile to the east of them. I set course to intercept them, but lose them in the haze. After about five minutes I am ready to conclude that they have headed home, when suddenly I spot them only a few hundred yards ahead and below! We dive quickly onto them, firing. Unfortunately, neither EA goes down right away. Mine circles down until we are low over the trenches. He then breaks for home. I follow him as he passes an enemy balloon position, making for a front-line field. I fire nearly 200 rounds from a distance, but the ground fire becomes too intense to stay with the Hun. As I turn away, though, I see his propeller is stopping. I claim him as driven down, but not as a kill.

[Linked Image]
"Mine circles down until we are low over the trenches."

Around four o’clock, just as we gather for tea in the common anteroom tent, a pair of RE8s land and word quickly passes around that General Trenchard is here. This is only the second time I have seen the great man. Major Patrick greets him on the field and invites him to tea. We scramble to help the stewards set up and dress a table.

The General enters with his odd but brilliant ADC, Major Baring. While the General sits down with Major Patrick, Baring works the room like a politician. He knows nearly every man by name, questions our equipment officer about the details of parts and supplies, invites Crompton to sit by him and pulls out his chair as he sits so he falls on the ground, and invites Black Boy the dog to enter the tent and eat some of his lunch. He regales us one moment with Anglo-Saxon poetry and the next with a ribald verses to the tune of “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.” With all of this going on, I am nearly disappointed to be invited to sit with the General and Major Patrick.

The General congratulates me on my latest victories, and informs me that I would be getting my leave within the next two weeks. He passes to me an invitation from the Palace to attend an investiture on 20 October, at which I should receive my DSO. And he does me the honour of presenting me with a mounting that includes the crimson and blue ribbon of that award alongside the white and blue of my MC. He directs me to take off my tunic and put it up at once.

And then, to my great surprise, he informs me that the paperwork is in for my promotion to major and that he will personally ensure that I can put up the rank before the investiture. Of course, he says, it will mean leaving Sixty Squadron and taking command of another squadron or a school.

“A squadron, I hope, sir,” I stammer.

The General stays only for a brief walk-around with the CO and Major Baring, but the evening is momentous. We walk into town for dinner at our little mess establishment, and somehow manage to fit everyone inside. Major Patrick announces the DSO award, which is already old news. Much wine and champagne is drunk, and I implore the fellows not to smash up the furniture and glassware of Mrs Duclos’ little estaminet.

We stagger back to the mess tent at the field, where our squadron’s little ragtime band, led by Sergeant Nicod on the piano, has got the festivities well under way. By ten I am feeling the drink and stagger back to my virtuous couch.

Attached Files Kill #17.pngDFW that got away.jpg
#4401823 - 01/25/18 04:39 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Robert, I've just watched your last video. You have the ground detail at a higher setting than mine, and I have to say that Filescamp Farm looks absolutely wonderful. What a masterful job.

Page 175 of 227 1 2 173 174 175 176 177 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM