Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#44006 - 01/05/00 03:43 AM I loved the read on CAS in vietnam!!  
tango29er Offline
tango29er  Offline

Australia
This is the kind of stories I like, I was hoping for 1 or 2 indepth missions stories but it still kept me there. Out of Veitnam
and korea , vietnam always grabs me. Maybe its all the movies that show the cong as being like ghosts like ive read and how cruel they were re: torture, interrogation, brainwashing pows etc. and their tunnel system. also not putting the USAF down at all but how the north hung on for so long and were willing to sacrifice so many of there people at a chance of destroying or disrupting the south and the US forces.
Like Andy said they knowingly attacked
US bases ready with battleships & destroyers on the coast to pound the %^$# out of em if they attacked.
I look forward to future stories Andy,
meanwhile could you recommend an equally book
along the same lines as your story? Say your favourite?
Also I have read a few of your replies in regards to Flanker2, I recently got this sim,
and find it bloddy hard to say the least.I'm not as hardcore as some of the guys but I do want to understand why's and hows , and the
manual just touches on this. I save all tutorials I find at various sites but I wonder if there are any books on energy management, that cover basically all fighetrs. Is that possible? or is Flanker 2 & F4 an apple and orange thing? I also have F4.
any opions appreciated.
Paul Haken.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#44007 - 01/05/00 01:19 PM Re: I loved the read on CAS in vietnam!!  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Paul

Glad you liked the article! I was amazed at how much info there is on the 'web'...makes for an interesting time just surfing the links.

As for stories about the Vietnam war, there are several authors that I think do a good job. Gerry Carrol was a real life pilot who has a couple of novels in print...'North SAR' and 'Gunslinger Two' are two good ones (I'm not exactly sure of that last title).

Mark Berent has a series of novels on fighter combat. He was in the same squadron in Thailand that I was in and writes a very authentic book.

Tom Wilson wrote 'Termite Hill' and a sequel that tell a story about F-105s over the North. These are excellent but hard to find.

In most book stores, you can find a variety of softcover books and novels about Vietnam...look in the Military History section of Waldenbooks, for example.

I agree that the F2 manual does not have much to say about BFM...but that's typical of all sim manuals.

The standard text for energy management is Robert Shaw's Fighter Combat. It's a demanding read but is the best academic reference available.

As for F2 versus F4, there is a difference in how the two jets perform in their respective sims. The Flanker is a much heavier jet and flys accordingly. You'll have to be a bit more conservative of energy when flying it.

The real significance in flying BFM in a sim is how well the sim's views allow you to maintain your SA...not only of the bandit, but also of your own position. In this regard, the padlock views in Falcon are superior to F2. The player to target external view in F4 is also better than in F2. Because of this, I think close in BFM is easier in F4...better views...better SA...less tendency to run out of airspeed and ideas!!

You mentioned tutorials...if you don't have the 'Perspective' series located in SimHQ's Air Combat Corner, then give them a look. There is no lack of BFM academic material at all the various sites. The problem is that most of it is just a rehash of real world info without any significant attempt to discuss how to implement that info in a sim. My 'Perspective' and 'BFM101' articles try to do that.

Good luck with Flanker!

Andy

#44008 - 01/06/00 02:06 AM Re: I loved the read on CAS in vietnam!!  
tango29er Offline
tango29er  Offline

Australia
Good stuff, I'll check amazon's site for these titles. And I have saved almost all og the combat corner articles.
You're not wrong about the F4 padlock
view , its great, I think the F2 team think it might be cheating or something if youre able to padlock directly on your six.
It was the graphics that got me in F2, does it every time.
Anyway thanks for your time Andy.

Paul Haken.

p.s. I forgot to mention this in first post, your article on CAS reminds me of a movie called BAT 21 with Danny Glover & Gene Hackman.
Glover is a Raven Pilot (not sure of plane)
and Hackman is the downed colonel hoping to be rescued. Nice nail biting stuff, he's deep inside enemy territory and Glover hs to guide him to the nearest friendly base (its been a while). Anyway if you have'nt seen it its a
worthwhile watch.

#44009 - 01/06/00 02:24 AM Re: I loved the read on CAS in vietnam!!  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Paul

Try 'The Ravens' by Chris Robbins for the best info on that unit. The web site
http://www.ravens.org/history.htm

has other info.

I have seen Bat 21...not too sure about the authenticity tho!!

Andy

#44010 - 01/07/00 07:28 AM Re: I loved the read on CAS in vietnam!!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great article Andy. I thought it was really interesting. As for this ongoing debate about F4 or F2, I give my vote to F4. I tried F2, and I did enjoy the graphics and flight model. But the backwards controls and padlock really turned me off. Maybe I'll pull it out again somtime down the road. But for now I'll stick with F4. And hopefully F/A 18 from Janes tomorrow.
keep the articles and info coming Andy.
we all appreaciate and enjoy your posts.
MadHatter

#44011 - 01/07/00 02:47 PM Re: I loved the read on CAS in vietnam!!  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Thanks again, guys.

I think I'll do a 'how to' article on air to air gun employment next. I plan to focus on the MiG Alley, USAF, F4, and F2 gunsight systems. The article will cover tracking as well as snap shot techniques.

Andy

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.