Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4400448 - 01/17/18 01:47 AM Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ?  
fearlessldsctr Offline
fearlessldsctr  Offline

Last played RB 3D years ago with 2 of my brothers and friends . Was sad to see it discontinued . One brother got ROF which we had high hopes for . But was told it is way too authentic , oil pressure , mixtures etc. Has this been improved any ? Way around it ?
Thanks

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4400532 - 01/17/18 02:40 PM Re: Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ? [Re: fearlessldsctr]  
ArgonV Online tunes
Hotshot
ArgonV  Online Tunes
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
You can adjust the difficulty levels, as to not worry about engine fuel mixture, radiator and other aerodynamic things.

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#4400539 - 01/17/18 03:22 PM Re: Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ? [Re: ArgonV]  
fearlessldsctr Offline
fearlessldsctr  Offline

OK Thanks . So can get it to somewhat like Red Baron 3D with better graphics ?

#4400540 - 01/17/18 03:25 PM Re: Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ? [Re: fearlessldsctr]  
ArgonV Online tunes
Hotshot
ArgonV  Online Tunes
Hotshot

Originally Posted by fearlessldsctr
OK Thanks . So can get it to somewhat like Red Baron 3D with better graphics ?

Yes with the exception of the "glass cockpit" view. Rise of Flight has no way of turning off the cockpit and just aiming with the gun sight.

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Corsair HX1200 PSU
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
#4400553 - 01/17/18 04:27 PM Re: Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ? [Re: fearlessldsctr]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I transitioned from RB3D to RoF no problem.

The engine management is pretty straight forward, to be honest.

For the air cooled engines, it's just fuel and air mixture. Full throttle, full rich. Back off the air to lean it to best (most) RPM, blip the engine when you need less. For the liquid cooled engines, same thing, and if one doesn't want to muck around too much, just put the radiator fins to full open and be done with it. Shock cooling isn't modeled (and was super rare anyway) and I never noticed any difference in the performance.

The FM's are better, IMHO, and the DM is as well. No "pumpkin head."

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4400559 - 01/17/18 04:53 PM Re: Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ? [Re: fearlessldsctr]  
ArgonV Online tunes
Hotshot
ArgonV  Online Tunes
Hotshot

For the FMs, you can also simplify the physics in the Game options menu, and turn off misfires, collisions, negative-G fuel starvation and wind to get started.

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Corsair HX1200 PSU
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
#4400683 - 01/18/18 03:12 AM Re: Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ? [Re: ArgonV]  
fearlessldsctr Offline
fearlessldsctr  Offline

Oh OK . Yes used that some in RB if the plane had major obstruction . Thanks

#4401065 - 01/20/18 04:13 PM Re: Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ? [Re: fearlessldsctr]  
Lausbub78 Offline
Lausbub78  Offline

I might add that Rise of Flight is Free to Play with 2 Planes, the others can be bought one by one,if you like. It doesn't hurt to give it a try.

#4401311 - 01/22/18 12:50 AM Re: Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ? [Re: fearlessldsctr]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
C'mon. They're WW1 airplanes that do about 100 miles an hour...if that. No avionics, no radar, no MFD''s. How steep can the learning curve be!? It's great. Try it. I've had it it since the release day and I'm still flying it.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4401763 - 01/25/18 04:44 AM Re: Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ? [Re: fearlessldsctr]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Depends on the flight modelling.

Early aircraft are more challenging to physically fly because they require a talented person at the stick and rudder. Someone who has the "feel" for how the aircraft will respond to any given maneuver. Modern aircraft can literally be flown by a dog, yes, a dog. (It's on youtube, look it up. Dogs can be trained to perform basic maneuvers in a GA aircraft.) Today's aircraft are computer engineered to be as safe and efficient as possible, certainly a talented pilot can make them perform more spectacularly but the average plodder can now operate one without getting his fingers burned.

Put a dog or a plodder in a Sopwith Camel and you're going to make a very expensive mess. It's a counterintuitive aircraft that will kill the average Joe in a heartbeat and it did kill a lot of them. Put the same slob in a Boeing 737 with a crew that ate the fish instead of the chicken and the tower will just tell him which buttons to press and, hey presto, you're home free so long as he has sufficient co-ordination to work an Xbox controller. It might not be a great landing, one worth of American clapping, but it probably won't end in flames and screaming.

To reverse the comparison; Modern aircraft, have much more complicated avionics, power plants and control systems, even GA aircraft. They're also better engineered such that their tolerances for incompetence or error are greatly expanded. Understanding the systems and accumulating the knowledge to operate them without supervision is a task that requires an advanced level of education equivalent, in many cases, to a university degree. Operating an Gnome rotary and two Vickers guns, while they have their quirks, is child's play from an academic perspective. Hell, you could teach a teenage kid to do it in a few weeks...

Last edited by Ace_Pilto; 01/25/18 04:52 AM.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4402423 - 01/29/18 04:18 PM Re: Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ? [Re: fearlessldsctr]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I think Pooch was referring to the transition from RB3D to RoF, and I have to concur that while stick and rudder skills are key in light aircraft, nobody ever had to look up in a menu on how to work the guns in the middle of a fight.

Switchology in most modern flight sims leaves me cold. Modern combat flight sims reflect the fact that they're weapons platforms more than they are airplanes, and let's be honest, combat flight sims are where it's at.

OTOH, modern GA aircraft aren't that complex. The brand spanking new Cessna 172 coming off the factory line has the same engine in it that the ones coming off the line in 1972 do. And those had pretty much the same engine the C140 that came off the line in 1960. There is a whole lot of 1940's technology still in use in modern General Aviation airplanes.

They're designed for stability and ease of flight - that's their bread and butter market - so yeah, a dog might be able to go roll the aircraft left or right (but those videos aren't showing adverse yaw and what would happen when things begin to escalate). The only thing super duper about modern GA aircraft is the display panel - and most aircraft still have good ol round steam gauges.

But there ain't no dog gonna fly a brand new Carbon Cub.

Once one gets past the learning curve of using a glass panel (and mostly that means setting it up), your bog standard Cessna 172 is a pretty basic aircraft. The wheel is on the nose, there are flaps and trim, and it has a steering wheel instead of a stick. Being a very basic pilot who never pilots aircraft with any of that, during my biannual flight review (which is usually in a C172), I simply don't use any of it - save that damned steering wheel and the nose tire. Set trim to neutral at the start, keep the flaps up, and just pilot the darned thing. The instructor I use gets a hoot out of it, as never look at the panel beyond the slip indicator, engine oil pressure and temp.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4403190 - 02/03/18 01:46 PM Re: Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ? [Re: fearlessldsctr]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Even a lowest bidder Cessna is more complicated than you'd think. These days they still have GPS, radio, transponders, VOR navigation, gyroscopes, electric instruments, autopilot, a heater, a cabin door that closes and keeps the wind out, a seat that wasn't pinched from somebodies garden ensemble, strobes, variable pitch airscrews etc. That's space age stuff compared to 1917. If you took that stuff back in time they'd burn you at the stake for witchcraft. You have to know how to use all that stuff and at least have some idea of what it does to get even a restricted solo rating today. That's all science fiction in 1917, it's black magic to a kid who was picked for front line aerial combat because he was "good at tennis".

The Cub is not meant for dogs. (It's not even modern, fundamentally, it's still from the 1930's even if it is made out of space shuttle leftovers and given an engine that allows it to takeoff from a postage stamp and still leave room for the postmark.) You can put your dog in it though and take him for a walk on some godforsaken piece of tundra that is only accessible to helicopters and STOL aircraft.

Idk about the learning curve between RB3D and RoF, if you understand how mixture works and what a blip switch does, you're golden, that's about all you need to manage unless you want to fly those monstrously silly things that have more than one person in them. Frankly I hold to the one aircraft one crew rule in that I don't want some bludger sitting behind me, eating my sandwiches and having his big boofhead in the way when I want to look backwards Some planes in RoF have radiators which you can just leave wide open at all times anyway, which you will do if you have any sense, why tempt fate? It's not like you have any way of telling how hot the bloody engine is anyway, not unless you buy a thermometer because there's no way to judge what your engine temperature is. There's no 'back crackle' or spluttering to give you a hint but it will #%&*$# oil in your face and die if you do something wrong. While you're shopping for that thermometer you can also buy all kinds of other garbage like scarves, pistols and airspeed indicators that just weigh you down. At this point the game is like a hobo shaking you down for small change but at least it has the dignity to offer you some mildly amusing gewgaws. (This is real money you'll be spending mind you, that's right, It comes out of your real pocket in the real world where you could be buying real beer or something more sensible, like a Maserati, but if you want to fly the Albatros D.III or D.Va and others without cooking the engine you're going to have to buy a mystery meme kit from the store that adds optional "upgrades" like a thermometer, a completely useless inclinometer and some reflector sights that were never commonly used an belong in the garbage along with 95% of the other junk you just shelled out for that you'll fiddle around with once or twice and then forget about, if you have any sense.

The FM's are tricky to get the hang of, the physics modelling makes for more demanding piloting and co-ordinated flying is more of an issue so you will have to spend time on customising your sensitivity curves or you might just rage quit and uninstall the entire game after trying to fly a Camel or Dr.I. Understanding the aerodynamic quirks of each of these badly designed (by the real world designers, not the game designers) aircraft takes time and experimentation. Spinning in any given aircraft is tantamount to a game of friendly Russian Roulette in a Vietnamese bar, some aircraft recover themselves, others require you to pray to the right heathen god to learn how to recover. I personally believe that the stall speeds are consistently 10-15kts too high for all aircraft in the game which makes many of them #%&*$# to takeoff and land. So flying is tricky but it's all possible if you have the time and practise consistently and a bit of character that allows you to cope with failure early on.

You're going to find that combat in RoF is a game of 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' depending on what you're flying and what you're up against. The key to success is to have a better plane than the other guy because nothing will save you if you don't. (Unless you were smart enough to choose a faster plane than the other guy to run away from him in.) If you're lucky enough to have the better plane, simply close in on the other guy and blow his head off. I recommend getting very close and aiming for the pilot.

Also, stay away from anything with a gunner unless you have a mod to tone down their terminator accuracy.

#4403943 - 02/07/18 01:43 AM Re: Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ? [Re: fearlessldsctr]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
"I think Pooch was referring to the transition from RB3D to RoF, and I have to concur that while stick and rudder skills are key in light aircraft, nobody ever had to look up in a menu on how to work the guns in the middle of a fight."

Yes, of course that's what I meant. Dart knows that I'm a RL pilot and wouldn't suggest it is like that in the real world. Like Dart, I've always preferred the simpler airplanes. Many years ago, after having been away from flying I went to get myself checked out and they sent me up with a young instuctor on a beautiful new Cessna with glass panels. I hated it. I wanted gauges. That kid really tried to convince me that the glass was the way to go, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I'm an old dog.
And since you mentioned the radiators, ya know how I work them? I connect it to the throttle setting. I like that you can do that in ROF. BOS, too. So, when I open my throttle, my radiator door opens, pull back the throttle, it closes. So you can't over cool your engine when diving, because when you dive you pull back the throttle (unless you want to rip your wings off) and that CLOSES the radiator. My SE-5 and SPAD engines never overheat or overcool anymore.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4404343 - 02/09/18 12:30 PM Re: Last played RB3D How hard is ROF learning curve ? [Re: fearlessldsctr]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

I'd want both.

If those screens go fubar you're flying by ear...

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.