Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#43983 - 12/09/99 06:31 PM SAMs and keeping from getting hit!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I'm new to air combat. I'm flying Jane's USAF and it's great!!!

Question: What do I do to avoid getting hit by SAMs if I know where they are coming from and I deploy flares and chaff?

The flares and chaff don't seem to keep me alive. Is there a tactic I could use? Example: the SAM is heading for me on the nose.

Thanks, Tim

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#43984 - 12/10/99 12:31 AM Re: SAMs and keeping from getting hit!  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Hi Tim

The accepted SAM defense is to turn to put the missile about 30 to 45 degrees either side of your nose as you nose your plane over slightly and begin a descent to gain speed.

Your game plan is to fly a hard, rolling maneuver into the missile, forcing it to maneuver in more than one plane of motion. The result is that the missile will not be able to pull enough lead to make the intercept.

The problem from your point of view is knowing when to begin the defensive maneuver. In the real world, this will vary depending on the missile type. In the sim world, it all depends on how the sim artificial intelligence (AI)...meaning its program...has the missile behave. This may or may not be 'realistic', and in any case, the AI may have you getting hit no matter what you do. Such is the world of sims!!

The best advice is to practice with your specific sim to learn its peculiarities, using the technique described above. Try beginning the maneuver with a hard pull up (5-7 g's) as you roll moderately hard into the missile. Think of yourself doing an aggressive barrel roll around the target...if you are successful, you probably will pass the missile 180 degrees out. If you see the missile making a large turn towards you as you roll then you may have begun too soon. If you get hit as soon as you begin the maneuver, then you started too late!! Obvious, I know!

Experiment and practice a bit. What you have to do is figure out the sim AI...once you do that, you have a better than even chance.

Andy

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.