Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#43978 - 12/02/99 12:20 AM Strafe bombing  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

My favorite bombing technique, one I've learned on WWII prop sims, is strafe bombing. I fly at a moderate altitude (about 5k-6k feet), then dive at a moderate angle towards the target. The high velocity attained and the low altitude of bomb release (about 1000 feet, or less) makes it quite accurate for a Jabo.

Unfortunately, this technique when applied to modern jet sims usually results in self-inflicted damage. Doh! Yeah, I know, that's why we have HD bombs. The problem with the HD bombs is that you should be flying level, and over the target. Due to this, the target is usually NOT visible when the bombs are released. It just doesn't feel right.
It's more gratifying to dive-bomb because you have the target in the pipper when you press the button. It's also somewhat easier to adjust the pipper onto the target. But dive-bombing with a jet sure has a lot of drawbacks.

Is there a better way to strafe bomb with the current jet sims? What dive angle, release speed, and release altitude should I use? I really prefer it when I have the pipper or the death dot right on the target. And I also prefer it when I don't frag my own plane.

Andy, is strafe bombing still used? Did you use it on the A-10? Should I be doing it at all? The sims I fly that I would like to use this are: Hornet Korea, Falcon 4, A-10 Cuba.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#43979 - 12/02/99 12:50 AM Re: Strafe bombing  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Hi Shok

I've never heard the term 'strafe bombing' used before...from your description of the delivery, it sounds like what is referred to as 'low angle dive bomb'.

For starters, the is no problem with delivering HDs from a dive. Have you read my 'Bombing' articles in Air Comabt Corner? If so, the HD dive delivery has the aim off point (AOP) further to the 12 o'clock of the target than the low drag delivery for the same release altitude and airspeed. Other than the Initial Pipper Placement (IPP) being different, there's not much difference in the events. Because of the longer time of flight (TOF) for the HD weapon, the release altitude can be lower. As a rule, use these release minimums:

1. Level LDs: 1000'

2. Level HDs: 200'.

3. 10-15 degree HDs: 700'

4. 20-30 degree LDs: 1500'

5. 30-45 degree LDs:: 2000'

I suspect you are rolling out in your dive with your flight path marker (velocity vector) too close to the target, This (with a CCIP system) will result in a low release altitude. Try rolling out with your nose pointed a bit further to the target's 12 o'clock. This longer AOP will result in the pipper getting to the target sooner, ie when you are at a higher altitude and will result in fewer fragging problems.

Our sims do not model weapons delivery very well. Try my suggestion and let me know how things work out.

Andy

#43980 - 12/02/99 07:06 PM Re: Strafe bombing  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Andy,

I think I learned the term strafe-bomb from either Air Warrior or Warbirds, I don't remember where really. It looks like I picked up the bad habit from AW, since I sometimes drop the (regular) bomb at 500 feet and it doesn't frag me. In Hornet Korea I've dropped Snakeyes at a level 400 knots and 400 feet and still damaged my a/c.

I usually do the low-angle dive at about 20-30 degrees, and release at 1000 ft. You listed 1500 feet! And I also point the nose straight at the target too. So that's what I'm doing wrong. Thanks Andy!

"We got him now!"
-- annoying wingman from Fighters Anthology

#43981 - 12/03/99 08:01 PM Re: Strafe bombing  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm kicking myself now that it all seems so easy! I've spent all this time trying to get it right, when all I needed to do was point just a little further beyond the actual target. It took a shift of less than 2 degrees or so, and now my bombing is textbook perfect! Andy, thanks so much.

The true flaw in my original technique was pointing straight at the target as soon as I rolled in to dive-bomb. I usually waited until just before release alt to point further downrange, to get the pipper onto the target itself. Now, I point beyond the target as soon as I roll in. Presto! I mean, Kaboom! Debris is flying!

(And I don't frag myself too.)

#43982 - 12/05/99 11:26 PM Re: Strafe bombing  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Shok

Great news!!

Drop a couple of shacks for me!

Andy

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.