Rate This Thread
Hop To
#43951 - 11/11/99 01:58 PM BFM perspective articles  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Andy,
I enjoyed reading your articles here at SimHQ. What I didn't enjoy, were the graphical illustrations. Too small, in many cases unreadable. As I assume it was a lot of effort to create them, is there a way to reload those jpg/gif in better quality/size?
Or even better, could you make your articles incl. graphics available for download in doc or txt or rtf or whatever format? It's a pain to bring them in printable format as they are now
Thanks in advance
Michael

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#43952 - 11/11/99 05:45 PM Re: BFM perspective articles  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Michael

Click your mouse on the thumbnail and it should redraw to full size.

Sorry about the confusion.

Andy

#43953 - 11/11/99 11:01 PM Re: BFM perspective articles  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Andy,
thanks, I overlooked that. Still a pain to get this stuff printed out though.
Anyway, this is the best I have read for years regarding BFM. I had read a lot of Shaws Fighter Combat but usually ended up with a big question mark in my eye when I lost sight to the enemy (disorienting padlock views, etc.)
Now I'm improving really fast !
Two questions :
1. If you should recommend a sim to a more or less beginner for learning BFM, which one would it be ? Would be probably not Flanker 2, because it's said to have the toughtest AI out there ? Or is it better to deal with tough AI right from the start ?
2. Is it a good idea to use simplistic flight models at the beginning (nearly each sims offers this) to get the 'BFM picture' and then change to realistic flight models ?
Or would that make it more complicated later ?
Michael

#43954 - 11/12/99 02:18 AM Re: BFM perspective articles  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Michael

I recommend Janes Fighter Anthology (FA) for those simmers wanting to learn and practice BFM. Here's why:

1. You can add to the sim with after market 'lib' files. These files increase the number of flyable aircraft and, in some cases, improve the flight models. There are a number of good ones available. I'm partial to Greg Pierson's...to be found at exo.com/~gregoryp.

2. These lib files allow you to select an opponent that is matched to your experience level. For example, if you are a newbie, you might choose to fly the F-16 against a less maneuverable opponent such as a MiG-15.

3. There are a number of FA web sites where a beginner can get excellent advice and on-line help. SimHQ has some good links to these.

4. FA loads quickly. This allows the beginner to jump right back into his selected profile without a lengthy load time.

5. FA has an excellent view selection. The padlock and external player to target views are easy to learn and use.

6. FA allows the pilot to select a 'half speed' mode when flying. This slows down the engagement and gives the beginner more time to see what's happening.

7. FA has a simple flight model that is easy to fly. It is realistic enough to make the sim believable without making the sim hard to keep in control.

8. FA is relatively cheap!! About $20 or less at present.

I would not recommend any of the 'hard core' sims for a beginner. These are excellent sims, but they are probably too advanced for new pilots.

Hope this helps.

Andy

#43955 - 11/12/99 02:27 AM Re: BFM perspective articles  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Michael

Sorry, I didn't answer your second question.

I definitely encourage a new pilot to select the easiest flight model/level of difficulty available in his sim.

This will not affect his ability to learn BFM. All it tends to do is to slow the action down a bit. That is why I like the 'half speed' option in FA.

Later, after the pilot has gained some experience in BFM basics, he can 'up the ante' on the level of difficulty. This will not change the BFM...it will only increase the tempo of the engagement. By this time, the new pilot should be ready to effectively fly in a more dynamic environment.

Andy

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.