Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#43937 - 11/02/99 04:46 AM Trouble in the Vertical(To anyone)  
SuperGroove Offline
SuperGroove  Offline

Lakewood, Colorado, U.S.A.
Hello,

In EVERY sim that I've flown, I get too impatient and waste my energy in the vertical. What am I supposed to do? Let the bandit take advantage of his superior altitude, and therefore gaining the upperhand in speed as he swoops down on me, or keep chasing, and leading him? I've always flown sims where my plane is the underdog in terms of Thrust to weight ratio. It's always up to me and my pea sized brain to think of what to do. Take for example in Falcon 4.0. Those Su-27s and F-15s take advantage of their Superior power and stay up high and fast where I can't reach them, when. I try to entice them by giving them a fat juicy target up high, and bringing it down to where I can fight, down low and fast(400KTS-450KTS), but they just won't engage then. So any help would be appreciated. Now that I have the Su-27 in Flanker 2.0 at my disposal with those BEAUTIFUL R-73s...I have the upperhand against those F-15s and F-16s. So any help please.

SG

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#43938 - 11/04/99 06:43 AM Re: Trouble in the Vertical(To anyone)  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
SG

Here's a general answer to your question:

First, you have to accept the AI of a given sim when you engage an AI-flown adversary. The AI may or may not be 'realistic' or reasonable, but that is irrelevant. You just take what you get...if you don't like it, then go to another sim.

Having said that, there is an approach to take for the conditions you describe. If you cannot climb up to engage the bandits on equal terms, then remain at your altitude. If an engagement seems inevitable, you want to deny the bandit lateral turning room. Do this by following the bandit...try to remain under his flight path...do not let him get off to your wingline on either side.

If the bandit is to engage you, you want him to have to dive directly down on you. Use your snap view or padlock to fly under the bandit. Keep your airspeed up...at least corner.

Once the bandit has commited himself into a dive to attack you, pull up into him and point right at him. Take a front gun shot if able. Point at him to deny him any lateral turning room. Hold your nose up climb until the bandit gets to about 2000-3000'. Then roll to put your lift vector in front of and below his flight path relative to the horizon and initiate a lead turn in the vertical. Do not fly out in front of the bandit...try to turn below his flight path. Use flaps if you have them. Make a max rate turn to align your fuselage with the bandit as he goes by you.

Once you have completed your turn, you now assess the bandit's position. If he is continuing in his dive, then go after him. If he is turning in the horizontal plane, then arc him. If he is 'booming' back up to altitude, then repeat this process over again.

Since the bandit has an energy advantage, you are playing a waiting game...waiting for him to make a BFM error that will allow you to get behind his wingline. Once there, you will have to use whatever energy you have to close in for the kill...or at the least, remain neutral.

Andy

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.