Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4391782 - 11/28/17 07:03 PM What Can I Expect From An Early Release?  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
I'm asking this here because, as of yet, there is no Operation Bodenplatte section.Hope you guys don't mind. But, since I've yet to jump into the new il-2 world I thought I'd ask the veterans. The sim is expected to have an early release in the Spring. From past iterations of the game, how much can we expect to see? Have early releases been fairly polished? And I was wondering about content. Will we get most of the planes or just a couple while the rest are slowly released during the year? I'm sure the Spit 9 will be there as it's already built, and the Mustang, I would think. P-47 and P-38, too?
Was just wondering. I realize none of you know, but I figured that an educated guess, considering past releases, might be possible. Thanks.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4391785 - 11/28/17 07:34 PM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Gernerally what happens is they start releasing planes as they become ready. About halfway through the planeset the terrain will be ready and they will release that. Then once they get down to 1-2 planes it will be time for the full release. Almost always the planes get released 1 or 2 at a time over a few months. Once the game is released the campaign and extra will be playable. They might or might not do a prelease version with that extra content before officially releasing.

But it's all subject to change.

#4391787 - 11/28/17 07:38 PM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Thanks Master. (That sounded wierd! lol). Not sure what you mean, though, when you say that halfway through the planeset, they will release the terrain. They release planes with no terrain? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."

#4391791 - 11/28/17 08:02 PM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

The guys making the planes and the guys making the terrain are different groups AFAIK. So the terrain will get finished on a different time frame from any of the planes. Generally the planes will be first to release because they take less time and about half way through the planes the terrain will get finished and put up for testing. This is just based on previous games. BoM and BoK were like that. the Terrain for BoS was release with the first plane though since you couldnt test the plane without a place to fly biggrin

The way it works is more like RoF than most other games. BoS, BoM, BoK and BoBP are all the same game with different content. They all install into the same game folder. So if you preorder BoBP you will have access to the BoS, BoM, BoK terrains. So even if you only get the BP game you can still test the planes on the old terrains. (unless they changed it recently?)

#4391792 - 11/28/17 08:11 PM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

Yeah I assume the Spit 9 and 109 G14 will be the first release, as they can just alter existing models ('just' lol, I'm sure it's not easy) and you will be able to fly them on the existing maps.

#4391793 - 11/28/17 08:31 PM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Master]  
TychosElk Offline
TychosElk  Offline

To clarify, you will need to own another of the BoX series to be able to fly BoBP aircraft before the BoBP map is released.
Originally Posted by Master
The guys making the planes and the guys making the terrain are different groups AFAIK. So the terrain will get finished on a different time frame from any of the planes. Generally the planes will be first to release because they take less time and about half way through the planes the terrain will get finished and put up for testing. This is just based on previous games. BoM and BoK were like that. the Terrain for BoS was release with the first plane though since you couldnt test the plane without a place to fly biggrin

The way it works is more like RoF than most other games. BoS, BoM, BoK and BoBP are all the same game with different content. They all install into the same game folder. So if you preorder BoBP you will have access to the BoS, BoM, BoK terrains. So even if you only get the BP game you can still test the planes on the old terrains. (unless they changed it recently?)

You only get access to BoX maps you don't own in multiplayer, and only if you already own another part of the series. For single-player modes, you need to own the relevant version.

#4391795 - 11/28/17 08:45 PM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

You used to be able to use them in free flight / quick mission as well. That might have changed I guess. You cant use them in the campaign missions or single missions though.

Last edited by Master; 11/28/17 08:46 PM.
#4391828 - 11/29/17 02:22 AM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
So, then, when Bodenplatte is pre-released, I most likely wil not be able to fly anything because I do not have the previous installments of the serires. Correct? And won't be able to fly it until the terrain comes out sometime late next year. Damn....not sure I would've pre-ordered if I'd known that. Would have just waited. Leave it to me to buy first, then ask questions.

#4391844 - 11/29/17 04:47 AM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted by Pooch
So, then, when Bodenplatte is pre-released, I most likely wil not be able to fly anything because I do not have the previous installments of the serires. Correct? And won't be able to fly it until the terrain comes out sometime late next year. Damn....not sure I would've pre-ordered if I'd known that. Would have just waited. Leave it to me to buy first, then ask questions.

It's possible, but I would not call it a certainty at this point. For all we know, the team might release the initial aircraft with a small fictional map (there is one already in the game), so that people who have not purchased any of the Eastern Front titles can use the content that they've purchased.

#4391845 - 11/29/17 05:38 AM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

As soon as they get one of the planes released as playable you should be able to fly it at least online if not in the quick mission free flight. (im 90% sure you can do free flight offline as I flew kuban there before I bought kuban)

#4391846 - 11/29/17 06:01 AM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Well, that would, at least,be something. Hope so. Thanks guys.

#4393248 - 12/04/17 09:44 PM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
No601_Swallow Offline
No601_Swallow  Offline

London
There is also a great 3rd party map (Velikiye Luki) which is free, a mini version of that (free) and a mini "Don Bend" section of the Stalingrad map - which is what we used in pre-order as the BoS planes came off the conveyor belt but the Stalingrad map wasn't ready. 'Twas an exciting time!

I don't know for sure, but I'd assume you'll be able to use those maps in SP, etc, while you're waiting for the Bodenplatte map. The devs' habit of releasing new aircraft as they're finished is great, and helps keep me, at least, hooked.

But in all honesty, the Kuban map is gorgeous, as is the planeset. Well worth the investment, if you've got the dosh to spare. The Spit Mk 5 is worth the price of admission alone. (In my humbles...)

#4393347 - 12/05/17 06:04 PM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Well...now that you mentioned that Sptfire 5, I have a question. Since that is a collector plane, can you buy it, no matter what module you own? Once Bodenplatte is released, can I add that to my plane set? I understood that the airplanes are interchangeable from module to module. I might have MISunderstood, of course. Hell, I've done that before. If they aren't they should do that. Would sell more planes.

Last edited by Pooch; 12/05/17 06:25 PM.

#4393354 - 12/05/17 06:53 PM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Yes, think of the planes like RoF. You can buy the ones listed separate and fly them where ever you like. Some of the planes only come in a packed set though (the full game).

#4393375 - 12/05/17 09:21 PM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Okay, good. Then I will probably wind up picking up the Spit 5 eventually. It isn't like ROF, though, in that I can see planes that I don't own, as AI, is it? If I owned that Mark 5, would I be able to fly it against a 109F even though I don't own the 109F?

#4393415 - 12/06/17 02:44 AM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Taxman Offline
Taxman  Offline

Portland, OR USA
Pooch, I just checked my own line up. The 109F is a standard plane and I would assume you can use the map you have and set up a single player match with Spit 5 vs 109F.

Taxes are my part time profession, flying is my passion.
#4393418 - 12/06/17 03:38 AM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Thanks for the answers. I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to this. The planeset and time period (Battle of The Bulge) reminds me of Janes WW2 Fighters. One of my favorite titles ever. Played that game for years.

#4393443 - 12/06/17 12:01 PM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Originally Posted by Pooch
Okay, good. Then I will probably wind up picking up the Spit 5 eventually. It isn't like ROF, though, in that I can see planes that I don't own, as AI, is it? If I owned that Mark 5, would I be able to fly it against a 109F even though I don't own the 109F?

Yes, you can. AlI planes are available as AI in QM's or custom made SP missions, see in my "peasant" BoS version:

[Linked Image]

E.g. My BoS don't have Fw 190 (hate this plane due all Luft'whiners moaning about) but I can shoot Fw 190 as AI.

Or, I don't own BoM, but in SP I can shoot down Bf 110 - that came in his version, or Ju-52 that is standalone "collector plane", not include in any Bo'X package.

And in MP I can fly as gunner in Bf 110 piloted be players that own BoM.

So their system is very flexible, similar do ARMA3 wheres you can't use DLC weapons that don't own, but can see and fight against then, but map's that I don't own (e.g. BoM) I can't use in SP.

Maps available in SP in my "peasant" BoS version:

[Linked Image]

And looking at this now I discovery that I can fly in MP in maps that I don't own, e.g. Kuban map (in backgroun of this picture):

[Linked Image]

Of course only using the planes of my "peasant" BoS version - without the padlock. smile

#4393504 - 12/06/17 08:11 PM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
"E.g. My BoS don't have Fw 190 (hate this plane due all Luft'whiners moaning about) but I can shoot Fw 190 as AI.

Or, I don't own BoM, but in SP I can shoot down Bf 110 - that came in his version, or Ju-52 that is standalone "collector plane", not include in any Bo'X package.

And in MP I can fly as gunner in Bf 110 piloted be players that own BoM.

So their system is very flexible, similar do ARMA3 wheres you can't use DLC weapons that don't own, but can see and fight against then, but map's that I don't own (e.g. BoM) I can't use in SP."

This is a carry over over from ROF. I like it. There, even if you don't own one of the two seaters, you can still hop aboard as a gunner.
I have one last question and I'll stop bothering everybody! May be a stupid one. One of the maps is free. Luki? Now, let's say I buy that Spitfire 5 when it comes out, for 19.99. Seems to be what extra planes are going for. Can I download that free map, without having any other modules just yet, to use my Spitty on? And could I join you guys in multi-player while I wait for Bodenplatte? Don't laugh! Just asking.

#4393510 - 12/06/17 09:04 PM Re: What Can I Expect From An Early Release? [Re: Pooch]  
Cloyd Offline
Cloyd  Offline

Cape Cod
That map isn't really "free." It was however a 3rd party map, so the free part is that the guy(s) who made it didn't get paid for it. You can't download it separately. So, if you want to fly anything, you will have to buy at least one module. And you don't have to wait for the Spitfire to come out, it's already available. (Although I don't know if you have to own "Kuban Premium" to get it.)

Cloyd

Last edited by Cloyd; 12/06/17 09:12 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.