#43931 - 10/25/99 12:07 AM Historical preference for ACM  
Spoons Offline
Site Emeritus
Spoons  Offline
Site Emeritus

SimHQ.com
Andy,

Kind of dumb question here.....

I just picked up a couple books about historical fighter combat and am thumbing through them. They both just reinforce to me that each era (WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm) seems to have its own mystique.

Andy, have you ever had a preference for flying a certain historical period for ACM? For example, you flew over Vietnam....mostly a jets only environment for ACM. If you could have picked an era to fly and fight in, what would it have been?

You know I have a soft spot for WWII bombers, for example. Is there an era of ACM that you wished you could have seen or experienced first-hand? I don't mean to sound callous, like war is a fun little game to be enjoyed, but I think you know my basic question.

If God had dealt you a different hand, would you rather have flown in WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, or other? Why?

------------------
John Sponauer
Senior Editor
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@SimHQ.com

John Sponauer
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#43932 - 10/26/99 01:54 AM Re: Historical preference for ACM  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Spoons

I really enjoy a good turn and burn...so I think I'm your basic guns only simmer. I probably like jet sims more than prop sims...and I've always thought the 1950-1970 era of jets to be a bunch of fun. Good maneuverability, simple avionics, manual gunsights, that sort of thing.

It's sorta like the DC-9 that I fly now. Simple, reliable, gets the job done without a lot of 'flash'. I could fly the new MD-80s if I wanted...but in my opinion, flying them is like flying a computer...too many automated features...whereas the DC-9 is about as basic as it gets. Invest a little skill in it and it will reward you with as smooth, enjoyable flight. If I get it on the ground in a reasonable fashion, then I can take a little pride in a job well done. On the other hand, if I'm rough with it or I really crunch one on, then I have only myself to blame.

Andy

#43933 - 10/28/99 09:14 PM Re: Historical preference for ACM  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

i think i would have to pick ww1,there was no fancy gimmicks or weapons.pilot smarts and balls,there aint nothin like a furball in anf1 camel or an albatross DVA.god what rush

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.