Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4390314 - 11/18/17 02:04 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions . I really like Skyrim so I downloaded Elder Scrolls Oblivion ....just getting started , but so far it seems good.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4390320 - 11/18/17 02:27 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Arx Fatalis is awesome as well, and easily superior to Oblivion in story and purpose. It's a first-person RPG that was a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld.

#4390396 - 11/19/17 03:59 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I always interested in Arx Fatalis but never tried it. Isn't it made by Arkane people who did Dark Messiah Might and Magic and Dishonored? I always loved Oblivion so now you've got me interested in trying Arx Fatalis out for the story.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4390411 - 11/19/17 07:36 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Yep, was made by Arkane. I played it several years ago while recovering from heart surgery, and I couldn't put it down. Beat it in a couple of weeks I did. Very atmospheric and was a lot of fun, with lots of memorable characters, for me at least.

#4390817 - 11/21/17 09:43 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada

#4390980 - 11/23/17 02:03 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: rezerekted]  
Allaire Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent
Allaire  Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent

AR, USA
Originally Posted by rezerekted

I'll second this but it suffers some from Japanese rpg directionlessness and I know that itsn't a word. hahaha

Silent enim legēs inter arma.

Cave canem, te necet lingendo.
#4392115 - 11/30/17 05:48 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 will be released soon.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4392154 - 11/30/17 07:58 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Downloaded Dragon's Dogma ...its ok so far smile

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4392167 - 11/30/17 08:24 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne are likely superior to Dragon's Dogma... but aren't straight RPGs, more like action RPGs--think Metroid meets Zelda. Everyone should play Dark Souls and its sequels. Awesome games.

#4392305 - 12/01/17 06:27 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I love Dragon's Dogma. Great game and I'd highly recommend it.

#4392412 - 12/01/17 03:52 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: Timothy]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by Timothy

I'd be surprised to see it before 2019 at the earliest, and late in the year at that.

#4392423 - 12/01/17 04:20 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: Coot]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Coot

Why so? I bought it a few steam sales ago and gave it 15 minutes. I got turned off by the port, navigating menus with keyboard instead of the mouse. But I bought it because it has good reviews. I didn't give it a fair shake, setting it aside for a later go.

What is it that you think is good?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4392477 - 12/01/17 07:53 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
Originally Posted by Timothy

I'd be surprised to see it before 2019 at the earliest, and late in the year at that.

I've been waiting for it for soooooo long.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4392486 - 12/01/17 08:21 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I play it with a 360 controller which I think a game controller is a must have for the game for me personally as its designed for it. One of the things I've liked about it is that for some reason its more approachable and a little less creepy than a Souls game. I see it as something that may get me to a point to try a Souls game which I'd like to. I like the combat in Dragon's Dogma. There's a lot of variety and you get to change vocations whenever you like(has to be changed at an Inn though for example) so if you find that you don't like playing as one style you can switch to another. Right now I'm playing as both a Fighter and a Ranger. Now each vocation has a ton of combat moves that you can unlock and learn and all of the combat moves are quite unique and interesting and have their different uses. Plus there is quite a bit of different armor and clothing configurations and I'm currently on the look out while on a side quest that I think is going to make available a new weaponsmith.

I also really, really like the pawn system. I don't play online but that option to "hire" another real person's in-game main pawn is just a cool idea. So some stranger, another "Arisen" in an alternate world and time(really just another player somewhere in the world playing Dragon's Dogma) can hire their pawn. So that person could be at school or work and unbeknownst to them, their pawn is out there in the virtual world not only helping a fellow player, but in doing so their pawn accumulates XP and resources that will benefit their owner later when they play and bring their pawn back to their game. Just a neat idea. Like I said I don't use online and have never tried it but the pawn system for single player is still cool. You have a main pawn that stays with you the whole time. Your custom sidekick that levels up with you. You can then hire and its recommended, two more pawns from the "rift" plane or world. Lore-wise these are other Arisen's pawns all of different varying vocations and skills and levels. Eventually you will need to let go two of your hired pawns and hire two new ones of higher level as the hired paws are what they are. So eventually as you level up they will not and therefore not suffice for your needs as they will eventually become outmatched by the enemy. So you'll need to return them and hire others. If you worked with some pawns you really liked you can favorite them so you can find them again someday. Plus you can share and exchange items among everyone's inventory. I'm sure there is more with the pawns as I'm still learning even after a couple of years. I started on Xbox 360 but moved to PC as the port is very good and the game can be played at smooth 60 fps and higher resolution. A real dream for players who started originally on the consoles.

The other reason I like the Pawns is because I like having the company. I like having someone with me when I wander beneath the dark places of the world. Having companionship is great. I personally keep the npc chatter on as it lends itself to that very thing. Sometimes they do repeat things but by and large, there is a huge selection of dialogue that they speak. I'm always hearing something new. Its also very important to keep it turned on in my opinion because that indeed is how you the player find out about things and where you should go. I didn't realize this until later but if you have a quest activated, your Pawns will have dialogue specifically related to that quest and their dialogue are actually clues. There isn't the normal hand holding of other rpgs that tell you exactly where to go and are not marked for you on the map which for the most part I like. I don't like being in an RPG and in this unique world and on a mysterious quest that supposedly you know nothing about yet somehow there is a big 'ol fat HUD marker telling you exactly where to go. When something is too cryptic for me I just go to one of the many great wiki-type sites for Dragon's Dogma that teaches about every aspect of the game.

I also like the game engine. I know its a bit older but there's something about it to me, similar to the engine used in Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption or GTA, that just seems colorful and organic somehow. There's really only one graphical feature in the game that's bad but its been that way since consoles. There's a really aggressive vignette effect at night. I suppose its to enhance the "when its night time it gets dark"! That's true but the vignette can be kind of ugly. I just except it for what it is and can ignore it. That being said one of the little details I also love in the game is the need for light. You can make temporary torches by getting kindling by looting and then equipping it and passing it over a fire. The best thing though is to own a lantern, a bottle and then fine a jar of oil to dip your bottle in to fill your lantern which you can equip and light at night or while underground or in a cave.

Combat in the game to me is a lot of fun especially with your fellowship of pawns and you do need them. I've heard you can play the game by yourself but the game is designed for having helping npcs. Your pawns can be all different vocations and therefore then have a whole different set of skills. Another thing I love in the game is that you can grab enemies and hang on or climb up them though its challenging. I've grabbed a hold of harpies only to be lifted into the air and high above the terrain. It takes stamina though to do anything be it combat or grabbing so you have to manage it. Different monsters have different weaknesses. You have to pay attention and also listen to your Pawns as they may shout out a weakness they discovered. I suppose I have not come against the worst foes yet but I've fought chimeras and griffins and cyclops I remember the first time I fought a cyclops on the Xbox 360 version on a winding mountain path. The fight probably lasted over five minutes which is like an eternity in a game and it was all that I and my pawns could do to survive, hang in there and barely hold our own. We were gaining ground albeit slowly but we were injuring it. However at the last minute it made some kind of angry sway and movement and actually fell off the ledge falling to its death below. Just a really cool moment. Every enemy is different. There are spirit orb things in some of the woods at night and one of the only main ways to defeat them is for you or a pawn to get possessed by it so that you friends can then attack "you"/it.

So far I like the story and lore in the game. Its not so Japanese rpg that its overly kooky or confusing in my opinion. More or less the world sort of feels like a Lord of the Rings type fantasy world yet its quite a bit different. That's just to say its not a Japanese game Final Fantasy or some of the anime looking rpgs that are just bizarre and confusing.

I've heard people make Souls comparison but I've never really played a Souls game. I played some of Demon Souls but I could never get to far in those games. I still want to try them someday and I think Dragon's Dogma somewhat prepares me for that. I've read reviews of Souls fans who also love DD and they seem to indicate the similarity to the Souls games lies in the combat style of having to actively shield yourself, manage different elements and watch and learn from your foes to find what their peculiar weakness or openings are. Most seem to say even those who are fans of both that they are still very different games so I don't know. Its my understanding that the Souls games are much more difficult and I think that's true as DD has always been more approachable to me.

There's lots to say about but this is in part why I like the game. I haven't even begun to touch the Dark Arisen expansion which is supposed to be huge. The PC version is much easier to travel in now than originally on the Xbox360 version. You have to travel everywhere by foot which I like but it can at times become fatiguing. In the original game you eventually come by something called a ferry stone. They were a one time use loot item that could portal you instantly in the spirit of fast travel to one of a few already established locations such as your home town or the main city in the game. But that's it. One time and the ferry stones were not easy to find and there really weren't that many as I recall. In the updated game when Dark Arisen came out they fixed that by giving the player and eternal ferry stone so now that's all you need to fast travel and you can reuse it. What's cool is that you can also find while looting or reward throughout the game these portal stones which act like customized beacons for fast travel. So you can equip them and use them or pick them up and store them for later. If you find some place far off in the world that's a long distance from anything familiar or that's not close to a base portal location, you can create your own portal location with them. I have found three and am using only one so far but I have another two that I can plant most anywhere in the world to create my own custom fast travel location.

#4392491 - 12/01/17 09:09 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Coot for the detailed reply. I should give it a proper go.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4392531 - 12/02/17 12:47 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

No problem DBond. I often wonder what little secrets I haven't found yet to the actual game play. Not long ago I discovered that I actually had even more combat moves than the ones I thought were the only ones I had for a particular vocation and I found them by accident. They had to do with timing. Perhaps they are still there somehow on mouse and keyboard but this is one of many reasons why a controller is a must.

For example as a Strider, my primary weapons are daggers sort of like a rogue style and then a reinforced bow and arrow for a secondary. With the primary attack controls for the daggers if I press the attack button once, it does an attack. If I press attack once and then once again at the tail end of the first attack animation it adds another seamless and flowing attack move. If you do it three times you can do a fluid 3 attack combo and then your character goes back into fighting stance. That's light attack button. Heavy attack button when you press it does a hard thrust with one and then the other dagger. There's no other stringing together anything on that though. The only other thing you can do with strong attack is hold down the strong attack button and it performs and different strong attack. I discovered though that you can start the attack and then press in the opposite direction mid attack animation and the move carries on and finishes in the opposite direction. I've used this to attack someone in front of and then behind me all with the same secondary strong attack move.

Here's the cooler thing I'm getting at. The basic light attacks that I mentioned above, if you slightly delay your timing when doing what would normally be your normal 3 move combo, instead of those moves stringing together a whole new set of moves can be accessed simply by slightly delaying your timing. What I achieved instead doing this is that after the first attack your character then does a series of kicks and round house kicks instead. So basically I found another three moves hidden inside the basic ones that are achieved by pressing your attack buttons with a different timing. I don't know how many more vocations have these little hidden, dual combo maneuvers but I though that was neat. Now I mentioned all these moves, yet none of these mentioned even include the vocation specific combat moves that you can learn and unlock and add to your move set. That's all just in my Strider class' primary move set not even incorporating the bow attacks. So there is a lot of variety in combat. Then you have all the cool things your pawns can do in battle to help or even aide such as grabbing an enemy from behind to let you finish them off or using the cool spring board move that you can learn that sees your character adjusting your shield to then let your pawn run at you and then get launched straight up into the air where they can then have a chance of getting onto a large enemy.

#4392532 - 12/02/17 12:48 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: DBond]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted by DBond
Originally Posted by Coot

Why so? I bought it a few steam sales ago and gave it 15 minutes. I got turned off by the port, navigating menus with keyboard instead of the mouse. But I bought it because it has good reviews. I didn't give it a fair shake, setting it aside for a later go.

What is it that you think is good?

It is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I put it above the dark souls series. The only thing that turned me off slightly was the stupid NPCs always calling #%&*$# out repetatively.

But the combat was magnificent. I wish someone had a coop game like that. There is supposedly a coop version in japan but it never released world wide.

#4392565 - 12/02/17 04:11 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Grim_Death Offline
Old School
Grim_Death  Offline
Old School

Columbus GA

Regno, Regnavi, Sum sine regno, Regnabo
#4392912 - 12/03/17 07:45 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Watched some videos about Dragons Dogma and it sounds really good! Very D&D like creating and advancing your character and pawns. A “real” RPG in that respect. Some mods on Nexus for it too. Controller support, which I require for a game like this. Wish I’d picked it up during the sale, but I’ll be watching for it now.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4393886 - 12/08/17 08:42 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Here's a little example of one of the intricacies of the game:

There's a canyon of high sea bluffs that I needed to travel to. What's cool is that through this area a really, really strong wind blows through there and I could not pass through it with my character. I remember this spot when I first played on the Xbox 360 but I couldn't remember how I had gotten through there the first time. Then I remembered something. The game absolutely models encumbrance but not like any other rpg that I've seen. For my kind of character I want him to be swift so I'm always storing items at the inn or letting my main Pawn carry a lot of stuff. Encumbrance actually has a incremental affect on your character's speed. The more layers you peal off or things you unload the quicker your character can move. What's also interesting is that I read somewhere that encumbrance also is effected from the beginning depending on how you physically create your character. For example if you make him as tall and big and in fit shape he can carry potentially more if I understand correctly.

Anyhow I like my character to be as swift as possible at all times if I can just because it feels so great to move fast and free at least when I play as my Strider class. However I don't mind getting slowed down a bit when I play as the Fighter class because I love fighting with a sword and shield and decking my character out in a Knight's garb. Well this area I could not pass I remembered that I just need to be heavier. So I take back a bunch of junk from my Pawn and put on some other clothing and was able to walk through the windy canyon! cool

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.