Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16
#4392363 - 12/01/17 01:44 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: FartHog]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Originally Posted by FartHog

...at the cost of public relations...quelle surprise , there has to less intrusive options surely.

Do tell? Strangely enough, an entirey industry is wrong then, because that is the direction that 99% of DRM solutions gravitate towards.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4392364 - 12/01/17 01:45 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: FartHog]  
159th_Viper Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA

...at the cost of public relations...quelle surprise , there has to less intrusive options surely.

Might be.

Then again, who knows. They have certainly done their homework before spending money on securing a new DRM. We should do ours as well if we are going to take issue with it.

Airframe #36
159th Guards Aviation Regiment
"Airspeed, Altitude, or Brains; you always need at least two."
#4392365 - 12/01/17 01:46 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: leigh583]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

So having 100 customers and 120 users are way worse than having 100 customers and 100 users thanks to paying dollars to Starforce.
Not sure I see what ED sees or any other company btw.

#4392367 - 12/01/17 01:49 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: 159th_Viper]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Originally Posted by 159th_Viper
Still all feels a bit spyware-esk tho', begs the question why? Seems a strange choice considering the inevitable reaction.

You own a software company coding Flight Sims for a living.

Your company is bleeding X-thousand pounds a month down the crapper due to software piracy.

Would you not take all possible steps to mitigate your losses?

Do you?

Where are these figures of loss pulled from ? someones rectum maybe ?

So starforce is not working anymore ? or is it that ED don't want to pay for it anymore and increase their profits by using their own system ?

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4392369 - 12/01/17 01:56 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted by leaf_on_the_wind
Still all feels a bit spyware-esk tho', begs the question why? Seems a strange choice considering the inevitable reaction.

You own a software company coding Flight Sims for a living.

Your company is bleeding X-thousand pounds a month down the crapper due to software piracy.

Would you not take all possible steps to mitigate your losses?

Do you?

Where are these figures of loss pulled from ? someones rectum maybe ?

So starforce is not working anymore ? or is it that ED don't want to pay for it anymore and increase their profits by using their own system ?

How do you get from that to ‘Starforce does not work anymore’?

Your company’s DRM solution (Starforce) is doing a good job. You stumble upon another product that would do a far better job at the end of the day.

Which one do you choose?

Yes, there obviously would be those that elect to stay with an inferior product. The majority of people will however pick the better product. Common sense.

Airframe #36
#4392371 - 12/01/17 02:08 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Originally Posted by leaf_on_the_wind
Originally Posted by Carefree
Thanks Remon, so I can install my modules in Open Beta as well as Open Alpha 2 without using up another activation, thats good, quite missed the old terrain map to be honest.

I think I understand the new Harrier copy protection thing now, seems a strange thing though, thank goodness all my other sims and games have nothing like this, so long as I am not in danger of losing my paid for modules ... because I can be quite an infrequent sim player being away from home for a month or so at times.

No mate you are screwed, if you cannot connect to ED servers every 4 days then your legally paid software will cease to function

You really misunderstood how this works. You couldn't be more way off base.

When he comes home from deployment or wherever he's been away from his computer and he starts DCS it'll log in and re-validate his modules.

Last edited by Remon; 12/01/17 02:13 PM.
#4392374 - 12/01/17 02:19 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: theOden]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Originally Posted by theOden
Hell yeah Remon!
XIII and Ice are so silly and childish, everyone knows MFCD's are never part of beta testing, they are added just before release candidate is created.

Those two dudes will never know as much as you and me, we are the best!

The version that was provided to content creators didn't have this problem. It could be introduced in the version they released.

#4392387 - 12/01/17 02:54 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: 159th_Viper]  
FartHog Offline
FartHog  Offline

UK

Might be.

Then again, who knows. They have certainly done their homework before spending money on securing a new DRM. We should do ours as well if we are going to take issue with it.

I am doing my homework, you are after all the current ED inside guy manning these forums, it's just you seem to have a knee jerk defence without taking into consideration the human factor...quite a skill.

#4392390 - 12/01/17 03:02 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Clutch Offline
Clutch  Offline

SC
Originally Posted by VF9_Longbow
I got the Harrier this evening.

It is fantastic, very fun to fly.

Still has some kinks, FM feels too easy to fly, but Razbam has a solid track record for improving things as time goes on. Will keep flying it and look forward to watching the aircraft improve. Not that it's at all bad now - very neat plane to fly.

NO FPS issues whatsoever here. Smooth as silk, FPS over 100 all the time and my rig is not particularly a monster.

Try flying it (normal flight, not V/STOL) with the SAAHS disengaged. The aircraft becomes a lot more slippery that way.

#4392391 - 12/01/17 03:06 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: FartHog]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA

Might be.

I am doing my homework, you are after all the current ED inside guy manning these forums, it's just you seem to have a knee jerk defence without taking into consideration the human factor...quite a skill.

What does your homework tell you?

That Starforce Proactive is currently the best there is and that there is accordingly no reason to secure a better DRM?

That it?

You really need to be less vague. Keeps guesswork to a minimum.

And for the last time, I have nothing to do with TFC/ED at all. I’m just here calling out the BS, something which has been lacking around here for far too long. Two sides to every story and all that.....

Airframe #36
#4392396 - 12/01/17 03:18 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: 159th_Viper]  
FartHog Offline
FartHog  Offline

UK

Might be.

What does your homework tell you?

That Starforce Proactive is currently the best there is and that there is accordingly no reason to secure a better DRM?

That it?

You really need to be less vague. Keeps guesswork to a minimum.

And for the last time, I have nothing to do with TFC/ED at all. I’m just here calling out the BS, something which has been lacking around here for far too long. Two sides to every story and all that.....

Well at least your life has purpose, albeit bouncing around a forum with a baseball bat smiley looking for arguments.

re: your affiliation with ED?...sorry, not convinced, you do seem to have a thicker skin than Sith tho', more tenacious... but inevitably bias to the cause.

#4392397 - 12/01/17 03:18 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: Remon]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by Remon
You really misunderstood how this works. You couldn't be more way off base

You really misunderstood what the key point is here. You couldn't be more way off base.

When anyone is away from an internet connection for more than 3 days or can't validate their installation.....the software ceases to function until it can re-authenticate. You are aware there is a single player mode/non-dynamic mission structure within DCS, you are aware not everyone has access to internet when they're away from home? For a game with a single player mode that doesn't require online connectivity to play it surely you can why a module that is part of the overall software package that ceases to function after 3 days without an internet connection is a bad idea....and especially so when that implementation is mentioned last minute and after some customers have already bought the product.

It's obviously pointless coming back with a reply every time that this DRM is the best thing since sliced bread......as long as you have got an internet connection and can re-authenticate after a period of time. Not everyone has that luxury for multiple reasons.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4392399 - 12/01/17 03:27 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: leigh583]  
Carefree Offline
Carefree  Offline

Just to clarify, I can go offshore for weeks (I am not in the military) and nobody but me would touch my flight sim PC with all its add ons DCS or otherwise.

So lets assume for arguments sake this scenario ...

I play DCS and with latest AV8B Harrier module up until Midnight, go offshore for 3 weeks the next day, will I be OK to play again with no restrictions with new Harrier copy protection once I'm home?

Above is a hypothetical situation, I'm more dynamic, but it represents how I use DCS and would use the new Harrier module.

I really hope there are no major problems or headaches for me or any users, been looking forward to this Aircraft, this module for quite some time.

I understand I'll be able to use the Harrier in DCS World 2 OpenAlpha in coming weeks too ... right?

#4392400 - 12/01/17 03:29 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: leigh583]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

As I see it Carefree, yes you will as long as you have inet connection when you fire it up again.

#4392402 - 12/01/17 03:31 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: Paradaz]  
Carefree Offline
Carefree  Offline

Originally Posted by Paradaz
Originally Posted by Remon
You really misunderstood how this works. You couldn't be more way off base

You really misunderstood what the key point is here. You couldn't be more way off base.

When anyone is away from an internet connection for more than 3 days or can't validate their installation.....the software ceases to function until it can re-authenticate. You are aware there is a single player mode/non-dynamic mission structure within DCS, you are aware not everyone has access to internet when they're away from home? For a game with a single player mode that doesn't require online connectivity to play it surely you can why a module that is part of the overall software package that ceases to function after 3 days without an internet connection is a bad idea....and especially so when that implementation is mentioned last minute and after some customers have already bought the product.

It's obviously pointless coming back with a reply every time that this DRM is the best thing since sliced bread......as long as you have got an internet connection and can re-authenticate after a period of time. Not everyone has that luxury for multiple reasons.

I see your reasoning too, these are perfectly valid points, IMHO, this could effect me too once onshore if my internet went down.

#4392403 - 12/01/17 03:34 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: Carefree]  
Clutch Offline
Clutch  Offline

SC
Originally Posted by Carefree
Just to clarify, I can go offshore for weeks (I am not in the military) and nobody but me would touch my flight sim PC with all its add ons DCS or otherwise.

So lets assume for arguments sake this scenario ...

I play DCS and with latest AV8B Harrier module up until Midnight, go offshore for 3 weeks the next day, will I be OK to play again with no restrictions with new Harrier copy protection once I'm home?

Above is a hypothetical situation, I'm more dynamic, but it represents how I use DCS and would use the new Harrier module.

I really hope there are no major problems or headaches for me or any users, been looking forward to this Aircraft, this module for quite some time.

I understand I'll be able to use the Harrier in DCS World 2 OpenAlpha in coming weeks too ... right?

Yes,

When you return from the offshore you will simply login to your DCS account and it will run fine. If you come home and your internet is down, I guess you could have a temporary problem.

I must admit there is some logic to the concerns that someone going away from a steady internet connection with a semi-portable or laptop computer could experience a lock-out and not be able to play the game. I'm not positive that will happen, and the instances of something happening like this in todays environment would be rare, but it IS a valid concern that should be addressed.

The Harrier is expected to be released in the "stable" environments (1.5.* and 2.1.* and eventually 2.5) in the next few weeks.

#4392404 - 12/01/17 03:36 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: Paradaz]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA

At time of purchase the consumers agree and are well aware that the product requires internet activation.

Fact.

It’s plastered all over, everywhere.

Important to note that it does not specifically state that it’s a once-off only activation. It is obviously not.

Now they further agreed to the following, and I quote:

“3.2 You acknowledge that the Program has not been developed to meet your individual requirements and that it is therefore your responsibility to ensure that the facilities and functions of the Program as described in the Documentation meet your requirements.”

Can you see that the consumers agreed that the onus is on them, the consumer, to ensure that they can activate the product as and when required via an Internet connection, as described, when they purchased the product?

Last edited by 159th_Viper; 12/01/17 03:42 PM. Reason: Clarification

Airframe #36
#4392405 - 12/01/17 03:39 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: 159th_Viper]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
At time of purchase you agreed and were well aware that the product requires internet activation.

I thankfully haven't agreed to anything, as I refuse to buy anything that is unfinished from ED and their 3rd parties

#4392406 - 12/01/17 03:43 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: Paradaz]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA
At time of purchase you agreed and were well aware that the product requires internet activation.

I thankfully haven't agreed to anything, as I refuse to buy anything that is unfinished from ED and their 3rd parties

Apologies.

Edited the relevant post for clarity.

Airframe #36
#4392407 - 12/01/17 03:45 PM Re: DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL Pre-Purchase [Re: Paradaz]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK

I thankfully haven't agreed to anything, as I refuse to buy anything that is unfinished from ED and their 3rd parties due to their INCOMPETENCE shown in all previous early-access titles (most of which are still unfinished many years on)

You're now also talking about internet activiation which is something completely different because anyone can 'activate the product' however that doesn't stop the same product from ceasing to function 3 days later without a connection being present in that time. If you are uncomfortable or don't believe that then re-read this thread from the start and you'll see at least one person that didn't know about how this DRM is working...that is fact. Once you've done that, re-visit the ED forum message board because there are many more people who didn't realise and still don't understand how this DRM is working.....that is also fact.

Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.