Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#43912 - 10/22/99 11:06 PM The transition  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Andy, don't mean to get too personal here but... How did you feel about going from Fighters to airliners?

I have spoken to a lot of colleagues around our company that used to fly fighters, Mig 21's and Mirage III's mostly (Egyptian air force, some flew the '73 war), and they keep telling me that it was the best time of their lives and that they are now bored flying Airbuses.

I was wondering what your take was on that, is flying for an airline a career ender for most guys?

You know me, I like the "low down" and I thank you for answering this question.

With all due respect, Nick Moyrand.

------------------
opinionated

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#43913 - 10/23/99 09:51 PM Re: The transition  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Hi Nick

Well, I can only speak for myself. I retired...I didn't resign my commission. That is roughly translated as I left because the show was over, not because I was looking for greener pastures!

As a result, I haven't ever compared airline flying to flying fighters in a personal sense. Perhaps younger guys that got out of the military before retirement may now regret the move. Those that continue to fly in the Reserve or Air National Guard on their days off probably don't have a problem in this respect.

Does airline flying bring the same level of satisfaction that fighters did. Obviously, no way. Just as important, the sense of comraderie that we enjoyed in the military is missing in an airline job. And there is the word that really sums it up...'job'. Airline flying is a job that demands little while paying well. On the other hand, flying fighters, for me, was never a 'job'...it was a pure delight. As we used to often say, "I can't believe they pay me to do this stuff"!!

As far as the transition went for me...not even a hiccup. Pilots are pilots are pilots!! We pretty much all think alike (well, sort of!), and airlines do a great job of hiring people that can get along together. So, no biggee!!

Do I like it? I like the paycheck. I like the retirement. I like the crew meals...just kidding! I don't like being a bus driver. But, being a Captain has its rewards, and I'm content as mandatory retirement looms ever closer.

Andy

#43914 - 10/26/99 04:31 PM Re: The transition  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Andy for answering my "off topic" question, god knows I have a tendency to do this!

It's really a privilege to have a real flyer like yourself willing to take some time off to educate aviation nuts like us.

Just wish some folks could realize the difference between the real thing and the "vapor talk" spewed upon some of our favorite sites (!)

I'll ask again, no... I'll demand! When is that book coming out? You really should consider it.

Lastly,

1. considering your experience, what is your favorite sim?, which sim gives you the most ENJOYMENT?

2. Which sim gives you the most REALISTIC sensation?

Your input on those two very different questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nick Moyrand

------------------
opinionated

#43915 - 10/26/99 04:46 PM Re: The transition  
Spectre Offline
Spectre  Offline

Colorado Springs
Found you Nick [Linked Image]

Crafty questions that you're asking there [Linked Image]

I wonder what you're expecting to read...

#43916 - 10/26/99 07:11 PM Re: The transition  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Spectre, good to hear from you man, thought that you were a permanent staple of "that other site", you know who I mean.

Anyhoot bud, what turned me off was the fact that most folks over there were starting to heed that "plumber's" (again, you know who I mean) advice.

It's always a big mystery to me when I hear folks giving creed to some Riff-Raff like Kurt Plumber and not even replying to posts like Andy's, what hte hell is happening here?

I realize that this all about sims but somewhere, that age old concept of basic respect, when respect is warranted, is becoming a lost art.

I grew up with the concept that bullcrap wasn't the ultimate goal, hence my basic dissention with some of the idiots over at Combatsim.com, some of the posters over there really need a crash course in reality!

They have an opportunity to have a real fighter pilot post and yet, they don't heed it.

Not only does it make me sick but it's, somewhere, like feeding caviar to the pigs.

I don't know Spectre, but I have a fundamental problem with some bookworm trying to tell a real jock what "it was like!", just drives me up the friggin' walls.

Lastly Spectre, I always enjoyed your candor, you have an opinion (and-godamnit-you'll-stand-by-it!) I like guys that have a opinion, I like most (most!) of your stances except for that sensitive area, F4!

You keep bashing the best sim ever made for a reason I am sure, trouble is, which is the "reason?".

Great to have you here Spectre.

Nick

------------------
opinionated

#43917 - 10/26/99 07:36 PM Re: The transition  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

"what do you expect to read?" you asked Spectre, correct?

For a "sneak preview", I would suggest reading Andy's articles about combat missions over Vietnam (and his life as a career fighter pilot), the guy is not only a naturaly talented writer but he also has the ability to immerse the reader into his personal experience, a rare talent, no cryptic bull and other "left field"
stance: Straight explanative talk that is both very entertaining and informative... with credential to back it up.

------------------
opinionated

#43918 - 10/26/99 08:24 PM Re: The transition  
Spectre Offline
Spectre  Offline

Colorado Springs
"Spectres" are always present my friend. We lurk where you least expect us to lurk. We strike when you least expect us to strike...we are everywhere [Linked Image]

Falcon 4 a.k.a. Pigeon 4...is history. I'm looking forward to Flanker 2 as the 'hardcore' communities 'last chance and dance' before we are forever swept into the realm of survey sims ala USAF.

BTW, I have been reading Andy's articles for quite sometime and I have found his information very useful and trustworthy.

#43919 - 10/26/99 10:22 PM Re: The transition  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Nick

As for the 'book' that you mention...my writing partner and I have tried without success to find a publisher...at least so far. Our project was to be a 'soup to nuts' 'how to' book on air combat flight sims.

It seems publishers are not too keen on the idea. Meanwhile, we get more pap like the USAF Strategy Guide...the only strategy that I see that's producing so far is the one of charging dolts like myself to pay $20 for it!!

Onto the subject of sims.

My interest in this hobby is primarily one of writing instructional articles. To do this, I buy most of the sims that come out. I like to be at least familiar with them, and I use them to illustrate my articles. I really don't have the time or interest to dig into any of them in great detail. I have yet to ever fly a campaign mission in any sim. What I usually do is run thru the viewing systems, do a little flight model investigative flying, and try out the turn and burn, guns only 1v1 flying. That is typically the limit of my interest in a sim. Some, such as MiG Alley, will be of more interest than others...and I'll spend more time on those sims.

Having said that, here are my main areas of subjective interest:

1. I want a sim that loads quickly. I like a option path that allows me to get to what I want to fly in a straightforward manner. If I crash or get shot down, I want to be able to reload that mission quickly. I suspect many simmers get easily frustrated waiting for sims to load, so this is an important area for me.

2. I want good graphics. Seeing is everything in a sim, and the better it looks, the more enjoyment I get out of it. A cosmic flight model married to a blocky, polygonal picture doesn't excite me much! I'll take the so-so flight model with a great picture every time!

3. Viewing systems are next on my list. I want to see a good padlock, external player-to-target, and forward view. The rest I can do without. The padlock has to be intuitive and provide max info without cluttering up the screen with too many mini-windows or symbology. The external view should provide player flight data such as airspeed and altitude. The forward view should allow an uncluttered view thru the HUD without garbaging it up with a lot of lower instrument panel. The HUD should be modeled after the actual aircraft...ie a Vietnam era a/c should only have the gunsight in the HUD (more correctly called the 'combining glass').

4. Lastly, I like to see a flight model that is at least somewhat close to reality. A 500 knot A-10 does not meet that criteria!
I like to see the effect of rudder at high AOA modeled correctly...it seldom is (maybe Janes F-15). I don't want a sim to spin easily...real fighters don't...so why should sims? Answer...because sim developers think that flight model behavior like that is going to be interpreted by the typical simmer as 'realistic'.

So...which sims meet these requirements?

None.

Some do a better job than others. My favorites are, in no particular order:

IAF, DID's F-22, F4, MiG Alley.

For me (and that's what we're talking about...my personal preferences), these sims give me a good 1v1 turn and burn with decent graphics, acceptable flight models, and effective viewing systems. Each may fall short of the mark in a certain area, but overall, they give me my money's worth and then some.

I always have to remind myself that opinions are like 'you know what'...everyone has one!!

Andy

#43920 - 10/26/99 10:25 PM Re: The transition  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Pigeon 4!", tell that to my "uber" system!
My SCSI Drive will just have to give you a swift one up ye ol' tail pipe!

My system agrees, the best sim yet... except for the incessant defrags!

I fact, a better name for it would be "Fraggin'4"...But, nonetheles, the best yet, hey, I guess the best always comes at a price.

Seriously, if Flanker doesn't cut it, I'll be laughing my arse off, the way those guys billed it, it better work (LOL!).

Somewhere, I believe that F4 will still be "king of the hill" after Flanker's release.

Lot's of "commie lovin', Clinton votin'" (Flanker dudes) shleps may be disapointed at the fact that Falcon still rules but hey, that's just plain ol' (simmin") life.

------------------
opinionated

#43921 - 10/26/99 11:27 PM Re: The transition  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Nick

Sorry, I got so wrapped up in my answer, I forgot the second part to your post!

As for realism, I pretty much fall in line with everyone else.

Falcon 4 gets the number one vote, with Janes F-15 close behind. This may all change when Flanker 2 comes out...maybe Janes F-18 will be a player also.

EAW is maybe the best WW2 sim...although I really haven't played it much.

As you know, 'realism' in the form of complex avionics, lengthy configuration and load times, etc is not real high up on my dance card. I'm in this for the fun of it...if someone wants real life realism, I'll get him a vector to the nearest recruiter!!

Andy

#43922 - 10/27/99 10:19 PM Re: The transition  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Andy for your answer, I guess we like the same sim... F4 hehehe! what else is there really?

I think that Spectre may object but what does he know right? (just kidding Spectre)

Contrary to most guys, I find myself enjoying USAF, only for the outside views (fly by) and the graphics, somewhere, that's pretty much what I'm looking for in a "survey" sim, WW II Fighters as well (great "fly by's) and graphics too.

Lastly, very sorry to hear about the lack of interest from potential publishers, what a shame, I hope that you'll eventualy find an outlet for your book, good luck with that project.

Nick Moyrand

------------------
opinionated

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.