Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4389994 - 11/16/17 06:15 PM looking for a new RPG  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Just finished Mass Effect Andromeda......don't know why folks complained so much...I really liked it . I'm now looking for another RPG. I tried the first Witcher and just couldn't get into it. I'm not a fan of close quarters combat, I'm more of a sniper type.

Does anybody have any recommendations. I have played Dragon Age inquisition as well. I am not concerned about cutting edge graphics. I usually set combat to the easiest/casual setting, But I do like a good story line

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4389995 - 11/16/17 06:20 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Have you played Deus Ex: Mankind Divided? I highly recommend it.

Concerning ME: Andromeda, I enjoyed it quite a bit as well even though I felt the main story and the new characters were not as good when compared to the original trilogy.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 11/16/17 06:25 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4390002 - 11/16/17 07:07 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Looking at some in my own collection, how about Valkyria Chronicles, Divinity or Dishonoured series, South Park, or the more minimalist Cthulhu Saves the World? All good stories (and the last two are immensely funny)

I also noticed that Planescape Torment has been remastered and released on Steam. IIRC that is recognised as one of the greatest RPGs ever, much on the strength of its story-writing.

#4390030 - 11/16/17 09:51 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Borderlands 2 -- Didn't know whether I'd like it or not, seemed sort of odd. And it is. But one of the best games I've played in the past few years. I dumped several hundred hours in it and still play it. Great game.

Dishonored -- Either game

Deus Ex -- Any of Deus Ex, Human Revolution or Mankind DIvided, but the first hasn't held up well visually

STALKER -- Any of the three. Not really an RPG, unless you count gear as a progression. Great mods for it too

Metro series-- Either game. Well not an RPG I suppose,

Witcher 3 -- I know you indicated Witcher isn't your cuppa, but it's seriously the best game I've ever played when you combine all aspects, story, graphics, mechanics, voice acting and so on. Don't miss it.. A masterpiece (I also didn't like Witcher 1, liked Witcher 2 and can't say enough about Witcher 3)

Prey -- Fantastic game with cool mechanics, a great setting and zero gravity bits.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4390033 - 11/16/17 10:01 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
LOL Archie, thought you were going to start a Newfie revolt or a war against Quebec.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4390034 - 11/16/17 10:03 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
best RPG I played recently was Shadowrun and Shadowrun Dragonfall

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#4390035 - 11/16/17 10:08 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
It would be nice to get a "true" RPG like Skyrim. Mods keep Skyrim fun to pick back up, but there should be more options than just that.
Not the MMO grindfest style junk, and not one like Witcher that just has you playing a specific character. Character creation, open world, social interation etc, not just hack and slash.
Fable was good, if simplistic, but didn't go far enough compared to Elder Scrolls games.

I think most don't remember what an RPG is, which to me, means something along the lines of D&D back in the day. Creating your character to be just what you wanted was half the fun.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4390040 - 11/16/17 10:18 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I had Witcher 3 sitting around on my hard drive with about 25 minutes of game-play registered since some time in 2015. I kept chalking it up to a bad purchasing decision until about a month ago when I decided to try it again and BAM! Now I'm hooked at only 39 hours into it. I still have a long way to go as it really pays off to build your character's abilities by seeking out side quests, so my progress is pleasantly slow. A very handy feature is that each quest recommends that you attain a certain minimal level to be able to survive - and they ain't kidding! smile

By the way, and this is neither a reason to get it nor to avoid it, but it has sex in it. It's a good thing I am typing because I can hardly say it out loud without sounding like Beavis or Butthead. biggrin

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4390054 - 11/17/17 12:59 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

I'm waiting for KC:D - played a ton of the beta, and it is now looking far more polished in the run up to a February release. Sure it still includes a close combat element, but the emphasis is on story and investigation and hitting things with sharp or heavy things is only one way of resolving the plot. (Generally you can find other ways of dealing with things or use other people to hit things on your behalf if the actual fighting is not how you want to advance). The creative director was responsible for Mafia I, and lead programmers engaged on games including OFP and H&D.

#4390061 - 11/17/17 02:25 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
Torment Tides Of Numenera if you don't mind a lot of reading.
Divinity Original Sin 2

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#4390069 - 11/17/17 03:15 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Fallout 4, assuming you haven't played it already.

#4390070 - 11/17/17 03:42 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

Thanks folks smile I'll check some of these out smile

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4390077 - 11/17/17 05:18 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Hey Archie, why an RPG specifically? I'm guessing ME:A like the other Mass Effects are really rpg-lite when it comes to upgrades but are more RPG in their story and dialogue mechanics. If it doesn't have to be strictly and rpg but something with a great story, fun combat and maybe a little upgrading then I definitely recommend Dishonored like the others have said. I'm playing it a second time now. I have not really played Dishonored 2 yet as I don't have though I did attempt the demo. I recommend all of the Witcher games too. I was one who could not get into Witcher 1 years ago and tried a couple of times but only about 3 years ago did I finally "get it" and loved it very much. You do have to learn and get acclimatized to the combat style but it is actually quite fun. With a texture mod and the Rise of the White Wolf mod I clocked in over 80 hours in that and loved it. I hope to play it again soon. To me the first Witcher still captures something not altogether missing from the other two but to me it just still looks so good and "feels" so good. I'm also on my third playthrough of Witcher 2. As of today,(and guys I don't know how I ended up doing this) I am approaching 600 hours in Witcher 3 and I haven't even finished Blood and Wine yet. I can't see how folks do most everything including side quests and contracts and treasure hunts and misc. events along with the main campaign and not wrack up more hours than I'm seeing people say they have upon finishing the game. So you might really determine to give one of them a try. Honestly I whole heartedly recommend that you use a game controller for Witcher 2 should you play that one. I use it for W3 as well though I believe the game is beautifully designed around a mouse and keyboard as well.

I can't recommend Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain enough!!! Though it helps and in some cases quite a bit with regards to characters and story, you don't have to be a fan or player of the originals. This takes Metal Gear Solid open world. I have some ultimate disappointments with the game but that has more to do with being and old fan and the way Sony rushed Hideo Kojima at the end of development which unfortunately did influence the game's ability to finish really strong. I'm speaking more of certain design choices and potential cuts that were made. However, that's getting nitpicky and for me, having finished both games with 280+ hours, I give both games as a package a strong 8.5+ out of 10. If they had gotten David Haytor to voice Snake like they should have in my opinion, I'd bump that up to a solid 9 with the remaining one being docked for missed opportunities and Sony rushing the man Kojima. His vision was more and it almost got there but not quite. I've already dragged on here but if you would like, send me a PM and I'll do my best to describe what you can expect from this great game. If you are a newer console owner, I'll tell you about my favorites there too that I'm sure you would like because of great story and combat.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4390091 - 11/17/17 11:42 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Several games mentioned in this thread are not RPG's but first person shooters.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4390138 - 11/17/17 02:57 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

I don't like First Person Shooters at all. When I play a game I like the exploration and story aspect. I even like crafting. I will always turn combat down to the easiest "noob" level possible and will avoid up close "hand to hand" combat. I will always play a ranged or stealth type of character and either snipe enemies from a long distance or if I can , sneak past and avoid combat entirely .

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4390150 - 11/17/17 03:42 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

"The Quest" series is the only current rpg that gives me that nostalgic feeling I had with Bards Tale I.

It actually has a fantastic story line if you can get yourself past the graphics.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4390151 - 11/17/17 03:43 PM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Divine Divinity, while old(2002), is a hell of a lot of fun and looks fantastic--arguably the pinnacle of 2D graphics for an RPG, with 3D accelerated special effects for magic and spells. The game is one of the rare ones where you can sit down to play for a while and after hours pass you realize the entire afternoon has been spent having fun. The game sucks you in.

I best describe it as a combination of Ultima's open world and interactivity with Diablo-esque combat. Really, when you boil it down, the combat is similar to Ultima 7's, but with skill involved as you simply can't click on an enemy and expect to win. Deliberate and frequent use of the spacebar to pause combat and think about what you're going to do next is required, similar to how Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 or Planescape Torment made you think, though this time you have one character--yourself, and no party to bail you out.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 11/17/17 03:45 PM.
#4390270 - 11/18/17 05:19 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Originally Posted by No105_Archie
I don't like First Person Shooters at all. When I play a game I like the exploration and story aspect. I even like crafting. I will always turn combat down to the easiest "noob" level possible and will avoid up close "hand to hand" combat. I will always play a ranged or stealth type of character and either snipe enemies from a long distance or if I can , sneak past and avoid combat entirely .

MGSV is a 3rd person stealth game. You want story you got that too in spades. In fact you'll need to read some wikis to even really have a clue of what's going on in these games. Ground Zeroes is a prologue and takes place on a large, Cuban military base at night in a rain storm. Easy 20+ hours of missions and things to do and multiple ways to do it. Phantom Pain continues where the prologue leaves off and sees you entering two campaigns, one in Afghanistan and one in Africa. Its a 3rd person stealth/infiltration and shooter. You unlock new weapons and equipment and build a home base simultaneously while doing your missions. After a few hours into the game you then gain access to weapons customization. Suppressors in game are limited so must be used wisely. There are other stealth measures you can take, interrogate soldiers to find out info and more, hostage rescue, demolition missions, kidnapping. You can ride horseback, hide side saddle like indians in the movies, get a canine to do missions with you and so on. Its separate but you can build bases in an online mode and do missions and challenges that thematically tie into the game and any rewards you gain from doing them such as new camo can be used in the main campaign. You can have a buddy, side arm, secondary weapon and a third. There are sniper rifle aplenty and like I said, eventually you can build and customize your own weapons.

Last edited by Coot; 11/18/17 05:21 AM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4390293 - 11/18/17 09:31 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
RossUK Offline
RossUK  Offline

Eastbourne, UK
Not sure if it qualifies as an RPG like Skyrim but I am really enjoying The Long Dark at the moment. Great story so far, and in my opinion very atmospheric.

#4390295 - 11/18/17 09:45 AM Re: looking for a new RPG [Re: No105_Archie]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Another idea might be to have a look at the King's Quest series. More like an interactive movie (remember the Dragon's Lair laserdisc game?), but it ticks the box on being story-driven, and the art is very well done.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.