Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4378646 - 09/09/17 08:04 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Good advice FsFOOT. Although you did remind me of this old xkcd strip... wink

[Linked Image]

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4379106 - 09/12/17 09:42 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

This next Tip is actually for Android Smartphone, Specifically a Android Tracfone that is a (yuk :/ Google-phone)..aka throw-away spyphone:

How to browse securely on a Tracfone?

I have this Smartphone that is a Tracfone. Its a decent cheap ZTE made one with Android. The phone hardware itself I have no problem with. But its got Google crap built in which I hate and worse opening Chrome browser that it installs takes you to Tracfone crap with adds etc as its homepage. There is no changing it since Tracfone has it set this way.

- - - - > Install Orbot then ---> Orfox

Orbot is a TOR network Proxy app.
Orfox is a custom Firefox browser for Android with Noscript and HTTPS Everywhere enabled already (note that same as all Firefox you have to make any other settings you want within Firefox settings after you install).

Read up on it here:

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/09/10/a-look-at-orfox-a-tor-browser-for-android/

and Thanks to Guardian Project
https://guardianproject.info/apps/

Installed
F-Droid
https://guardianproject.info/fdroid/

Install Orbot
https://guardianproject.info/apps/orbot/

and then
Orfox
https://guardianproject.info/apps/orfox/

Note this isn't exactly a tutorial on my part since I don't recall the exact sequence I used since I had to fiddle around with this for about n hour but finally got both Orbot and OrFox installed and they work.

First I installed
F-Droid and enabled the Guardian repositories , but it seemed Tracfone doesn't like this anyway.. IT would run the intall then it would report it failed. Even though I did enable the settings in Android, etc.

I had to fiddle around since Tracfone is set up to thwart such installs.
It never worked trying Google Play.
The process for Tracfone is to browse first (using chrome) to the Tracfone homepage, login phone number then browse search for app Orbot. then install. But not sure it worked
I think the deal was I Eventually I downloaded the .apk file.
Then same deal for Orfox.

At any rate it works. Now I just launch Orbot, then Orfox.

Now I can surf without Tracfone and Google eavesdropping on my browse traffic, etc.

And connect safely at coffee houses, etc. since TOR (Orbot) is a VPN in that respect and all the browser traffic is also HTTPS since HTTPS Everywhere.

Cheers

Last edited by FsFOOT; 09/12/17 09:47 AM. Reason: ....for Android Tracfone
#4380581 - 09/21/17 06:29 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

How to mute all sites by default in Firefox

a new add-on for Firefox.. I'm loving it!

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/30/how-to-mute-all-sites-by-default-in-firefox/

I added to my web-arsenal of add-ons to a customized Firefox 51

not to mention I launch with firejail:

https://firejail.wordpress.com/

oh btw if you use ccleaner it was hacked twice check ghacks!

Attached Files fsfoot-ffaddons-2017-9.png
Last edited by FsFOOT; 09/21/17 06:34 AM.
#4382023 - 09/29/17 05:42 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Be Warned;
Internet Explorer - leaks what you type to sites
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/09/28/internet-explorer-bug-leaks-what-you-type-to-sites/

Got to say again gHacks is a good place to check for information - also has a Linux section

#4383647 - 10/07/17 12:26 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

FYI: for anyone who need a Free Website, I use Neocities free site and it is great imho.
There are no ads.
My site in my signature.

To quote;
"Designed as a 21st century reincarnation of GeoCities, Neocities lets you make your own site for free. And it just might spark a renaissance of creativity online."
— Matthew Guay, AppStorm.

#4383759 - 10/07/17 10:28 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Live Down Under? Or might order from there? Or Download? Be sure to check out this:

PCAviator.com.au store

A 1-Stop Shop for Flight Simulations and Hardware!

You can't beat that, Mate!
wink

btw; Also has Car & Racing Simulators, Trains, Books and a few other things.

Last edited by FsFOOT; 10/07/17 10:32 PM. Reason: Trains too
#4388377 - 11/06/17 06:07 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

#4388540 - 11/07/17 12:54 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Old versions of Windows, Mac and Linux Software, Apps & Abandonware Games - Android too:
http://www.oldversion.com/

#4388544 - 11/07/17 01:26 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

free tools for recovery, partitions, restore, backup related

for Windows;

Create Windows recovery media with AOMEI Windows PE Builder -- ghacks

What is AOMEI PE Builder

--

Create a factory restore partition and one key system backup and restore for your Windows PC and Server
AOMEI OneKey Recovery 1.6

--

FREE Hard Disk Partition Software;

AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition

------------------------------
for Linux or other Live CD's to manage hard disk partitions, booting, rescue

Gparted

Clonezilla

System Rescue Cd

Rescatux and Super Grub2 Disk

#4388759 - 11/08/17 05:29 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Some things different in this post -- geared to the Pros on the site or those that may wish to become one:

- This is for people serious about writing Documentation like a Pro... Something oft needed in the games world yet rarely found!

Write the Docs - Documentation Guide
http://www.writethedocs.org/guide/

- Similarly for making Windows packages / software installations like a Pro
(aka a deployment solution for Windows)

Chocolatey - Software Management Automation The package manager for Windows
https://chocolatey.org/

Combine these two powerful sites tools to your Game release and never look back!

#4390379 - 11/18/17 11:37 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

How to install a free legal Windows in VirtualBox (or other VM) in Linux

Also; you can use on Windows or whatever - - > see the links for the vm's at end of this post

I have not tried this yet. The instructions, at the time at least, claim Windows 7 was available through the link however the link has changed to https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/ and the
Code
Virtual machine    Select platform   

option seems to be disabled. At least in both my browsers Firefox with noscript, etc and also a custom Midori.
(You could try another browser, but suspect it means the Win 7 , and other options other than windows 10 have been removed?)

However, following this I found Windows 10 vms download is available:
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines

Which has the links on the page that are working

Download a virtual machine

Windows 10 Enterprise (Evaluation - Build 201710) 20 GB download

This VM will expire on 1/15/18.

- note: they are redirects to the actual download at microsoft.com

Last edited by FsFOOT; 11/18/17 11:39 PM.
#4390982 - 11/23/17 02:53 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

from gHacks yet again.. Find out if your Intel system is vulnerable to Intel Manageability Engine vulnerabilities

Intel advisory

Just ran the tool in Linux (Its just a python script really.) Thankfully my laptop is not vulnerable.
To do in Linux:
- download the SA00086_Linux.tar.gz from Intel-SA-00086 Detection Tool page (same page also has Windows version .exe . Documentation is included)

- extract it to a folder
give files an executable permission: intel_sa00086.py and spsInfoLinux64 (for 64 bit CPU)

- in a terminal run the command with admin priviledges:
sudo ./intel_sa00086.py
that's it. Also a .log file is generated in the same folder will contain the same info.

Also you can check other possible Intel product issues like recent (WPA2) protocol vulnerability here:
Intel Product security Center

Last edited by FsFOOT; 11/23/17 02:54 AM.
#4391012 - 11/23/17 02:51 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I just ran that tool and it says my system is vulnerable (i5 6600).

I'm a little confused about what to do about it.If I go to one of the links it states that for 6th gen processors I need Intel® ME 11.8.50.3425 or higher.I just checked my version and I have 11.7.0.1004 so I ran the Intel Update Utility but it says there are no newer versions.

Do I wait until my mainboard manufacturer (MSI) releases a new version? And why wont the Intel utility bring up that newer build?

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4391097 - 11/24/17 12:02 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

According to gHacks:

There is nothing that users can do to the system directly to fix the vulnerability. Intel notes that it is up to OEMs and manufacturers to release updates for their products to fix the security issues.

What that means is the following: If you have bought a PC from a manufacturer like Dell, Lenovo, HP or any other PC manufacturer, you need to wait for them to release updates that address the issue.

Intel lists links to support information on this support article. The company will update links to manufacturers when updates are released by them. Currently, links are available for Dell and Lenovo customers.

Users who built a PC by themselves, changed the motherboard, or bought a pre-assembled PC using custom parts, need to consult the motherboard manufacturer instead.

As to the versions cited I do not have any other information on it.

Last edited by FsFOOT; 11/24/17 12:03 AM.
#4391105 - 11/24/17 12:55 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Post of a different flavor:
Save this link for Gaming News;

https://games.slashdot.org/

Last edited by FsFOOT; 11/24/17 12:56 AM.
#4391109 - 11/24/17 01:18 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

via slashdot and vice.com ;

How a Wi-Fi Pineapple Can Steal Your Data (And How To Protect Yourself From It) (vice.com)
An anonymous reader writes:
The Wi-Fi Pineapple is a cheap modified wireless router enables anyone to execute sophisticated exploits on Wi-Fi networks with little to no networking expertise. A report in Motherboard explains how it can be used to run a Wall of Sheep and execute a man-in-the-middle attack, as well as how you can protect yourself from Pineapple exploits when you're connected to public Wi-Fi.
"... it's important that whenever you are done connecting to a public Wi-Fi network that you configure your phone or computer to 'forget' that network. This way your device won't be constantly broadcasting the SSIDs of networks it has connected to in the past, which can be spoofed by an attacker with a Pineapple," reports Motherboard. "Unfortunately there is no easy way to do this on an Android or an iPhone, and each network must be forgotten manually in the 'Manage Network' tab of the phone's settings. Another simple solution is to turn off your Wi-Fi functionality when you're not using it -- though that isn't as easy to do on some devices anymore -- and don't allow your device to connect to automatically connect to open Wi-Fi networks."

Last edited by FsFOOT; 11/24/17 01:19 AM.
#4391285 - 11/25/17 03:18 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Why you cannot trust websites, and need to keep block lists and tools updated

via betanews
Privacy: Use of session replay scripts means many websites essentially have built in keyloggers

report from this site
No boundaries: Exfiltration of personal data by session-replay scripts

Originally Posted by freedom-to-tinker

Does tracking protection help?

Two commonly used ad-blocking lists EasyList and EasyPrivacy do not block FullStory, Smartlook, or UserReplay scripts. EasyPrivacy has filter rules that block Yandex, Hotjar, ClickTale and SessionCam.

At least one of the five companies we studied (UserReplay) allows publishers to disable data collection from users who have Do Not Track (DNT) set in their browsers. We scanned the configuration settings of the Alexa top 1 million publishers using UserReplay on their homepages, and found that none of them chose to honor the DNT signal.

Both EasyList and EasyPrivacy block lists are used in for example uBlock origin, uMatrix, etc.
A user commented that the block list in EasyPrivacy have been updated.. I can't confirm that,will look into it later

p.s.
see this url for additional information about sites:

Data release: list of websites that have third-party “session replay” scripts

This replaying technology even can record stuff you erase from forms prior to submitting. Or anything you type or do in them. So be warned!

Last edited by FsFOOT; 11/25/17 03:30 AM. Reason: be warned!
#4391287 - 11/25/17 04:00 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

#4391313 - 11/25/17 12:31 PM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
But if you're a gamer? Which the vast majority on SimHQ are.

The last time I tried Linux for gaming (which admittedly was 12 months or more ago) it was a disaster. There just isn't enough support from the game companies and I don't think there ever will be.

Linux is an excellent replacement for Windows otherwise.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4391582 - 11/27/17 05:43 AM Re: HARDWARE / SOFTWARE FAQ and USEFUL LINKS [Re: Joe]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

There are tons of gaming on Linux. It just depends on the games you play.
And thousands of free games. And some paid games.Like Steam and more.
All the software I use on Linux is free otherwise. I've paid $0 since I started using Linux exclusively for more than a last year now.
Anyway, I don't care to convince anyone or argue the point.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.