Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4387052 - 10/28/17 07:58 AM Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip?  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Hello all!

So, my wife and I (34 and 35) are going to visit New York and Washington DC for 10 days starting next Thursday. I have big plans for places to visit, and my wife loves me so much that she agreed on visiting with me the USS Intrepid in New York together with the Smithsonian and the Steven Udvar-Hazy museum in Dulles airport (yipiii!). I’m wondering If someone can help us with tips and idea to improve our visit. Ideas of less known places to visit or restaurants to enjoy while in those cities, specially Washington as ther'es less info for tourists readily available.

I have two main questions, first of all, to reach Times Square from JFK, is Air Train to Jamaica Station and then E line direction world trade center and leave at 42nd street station??

And specially, which will be the best way to visit the Udvar-Hazy museum? Our hotel is on embassy row, just behind the White House. Should we take a taxi or is there cheaper ways to reach the museum and back?

Thanks guys!

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4387059 - 10/28/17 11:02 AM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Definitely take the tour of Arlington National Cemetery and view the Changing of the Guard. Visit all the war memorials, and even though time at the Smithsonian is always at a premium visit the rest of the monuments on the National Mall.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4387077 - 10/28/17 01:51 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
the national art gallery was my favorite in DC... could have spent days in there

air & space was cool, and the other usual stuff

the WW2 memorial was very impressive as was the Korean War memorial and of course the Vietnam wall

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#4387084 - 10/28/17 03:54 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
I'll be in DC Tuesday through Friday of next week for work. Staying at a Homewood Suites NE of the White House around NW New York and L Street. You're close to there. You can walk all around the monuments. The weather is going to be great for that too in the afternoons. It's fun people watching.

Dulles though is way the heck out almost straight west from there, comparatively. Maybe rent a car for a day or Uber (Lyft to you in Europe). It's probably a 40 minute ride one way. I'd suggest a Lyft/Uber over a taxi for sure. My guess is the fare is around $40 each way. EDIT for clarity: this is where Udvar is located.

Have fun. Be safe!

Last edited by Airdrop01; 10/28/17 04:29 PM.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4387086 - 10/28/17 04:05 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Udvar Hazy is in VA, but maybe an option

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4387097 - 10/28/17 05:21 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: 462cid]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by 462cid
Udvar Hazy is in VA, but maybe an option

It can also be reached via MetroRail, to Reston, followed by a short bus ride (details on their website). A bit of a PITA but far cheaper than a cab/uber.

Personally, I think it is well worth the trip. There aren't too many museums large enough to have an SR-71 and a Space Shuttle indoors.

Last edited by cichlidfan; 10/28/17 05:22 PM.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4387102 - 10/28/17 05:54 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Watch out where you park in DC. That places is the parking nazi capital of the world...

#4387121 - 10/28/17 08:24 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Got married in NY in September and spent a week there. Definitely take a walk in Central Park. A beautiful oasis in the city. The Staten Island Ferry is free, and gives a beautiful view of the city skyline.
The top of Rockefeller Center at night was great. Very nice to see the city from up high.

As for restaurants, we had our wedding dinner at www.oneifbyland.com , and we loved the place so much we will be going back again the next time we're over there.

We flew to Newark, and used Go Airlink Shuttle to get to our hotel on Upper East Side. $180 for a minivan with seating for 11 and luggage, but a regular sedan for just the two of you will probably be around $70. IMO, well worth it when you get there. It saves you a lot of time and hassle finding your way with luggage on the train and subway.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4387133 - 10/28/17 09:49 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
Ironroad Offline
Ironroad  Offline

Originally Posted by Stratos
Hello all!

So, my wife and I (34 and 35) are going to visit New York and Washington DC for 10 days starting next Thursday. I have big plans for places to visit, and my wife loves me so much that she agreed on visiting with me the USS Intrepid in New York together with the Smithsonian and the Steven Udvar-Hazy museum in Dulles airport (yipiii!). I’m wondering If someone can help us with tips and idea to improve our visit. Ideas of less known places to visit or restaurants to enjoy while in those cities, specially Washington as ther'es less info for tourists readily available.

I have two main questions, first of all, to reach Times Square from JFK, is Air Train to Jamaica Station and then E line direction world trade center and leave at 42nd street station??

And specially, which will be the best way to visit the Udvar-Hazy museum? Our hotel is on embassy row, just behind the White House. Should we take a taxi or is there cheaper ways to reach the museum and back?

Thanks guys!

The Udvar Hazy is awesome, but it is about 25mi west of the District in Vriginia near Dulles IAP. Best bet is to take a rental, go early morning or mid-day (you will be going opposite commuting traffic). Parking is free after 3-4PM and admission is free.

You may also want to check out the USMC musem in Quantico (30 mi to the south). Parking and admission is free last time I checked, but you may want to double-check that.

Depends on where you are at, you can walk while downtown or on the National mall. Traffic and parking get hairy starting 2pm, as all the federal workers begin their mass exodus home to Maryland and Virginia and other points south and west.

I'm familiar with Queens and Nassau County (Long Island(, been to Manhattan enough to know how to get around. Pretty much NYC (Manhattan proper) is a grid and you can uber or cab everywhere for pretty cheap. If you are driving, it will cost you a grip to transit back and fourth between NJ, the outter boroughs, or NYS.
That is unless you take side streets (i.e. coming from Queens or Nassu county (JFK) take the 59th street bridge. Coming from Newark, best bet is the tunnel. Brooklyn, any of the major bridges, just avoid 478, unless you cant to spend 12 bucks).

The difference between the two

DC area (which includes the surrounding suburbs in about 30 miles in any direction) you have to drive to see any major attraction outside things on the National Mall. (Baltimore Md's inner harbor might be worth a day trip as well, it is an hour to the north).

NYC/tri-state area. All the touristy stuff is in lower Manhattan and mid-town. All the amenities (that aren't tourist traps so to speak) are in the other boroughs or suburbs (to include Long Island, NJ, and lower CT).

A lot to see in both areas, just expect to do more distance traveling to see some of the touristy things in the DC area.

#4387137 - 10/28/17 10:36 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Gettysburg is an easy drive from DC and well worth the effort. Stand where the 20th Maine stood and feel the shivers down your spine.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4387138 - 10/28/17 10:41 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Rocatansky has a good plan

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4387168 - 10/29/17 07:35 AM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Driving is not an option, too much work. I have NY covered pretty well, together as WDC National mall. Seems Udvar-Hazy will be out of question If getting there is that expensive, real pity as I really wanted to see the birds there frown

-To the Graveyard!!

#4387171 - 10/29/17 08:58 AM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
For New York, my two “musts” are Top of the Rock and Juliana’s pizza in Brooklyn. Don’t miss either of those for your life!

For Washington D.C., I would second the recommendation of the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Alexandria. One of the best, if not the very best, museums I have ever been to. Enjoy your trip!

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
#4387187 - 10/29/17 01:16 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Going to NYC myself first week of April, taking two weeks and a rental car so that we can make a road trip through the mountains. Putting in a full day on Intrepid.

Did DC (lots of what's been mentioned here) with wife and mom on a senior trip when you (Stratos) were about three years old. smile Regan was POTUS and the Cold War was on. So long ago, we need to get back there.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4387351 - 10/30/17 02:22 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Wondering what to expect about weather? Is really cold?

-To the Graveyard!!

#4387357 - 10/30/17 02:36 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
it's hundred of miles NORTH of Texas so at this time of year it has to be cowboy

reading

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4387360 - 10/30/17 02:50 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
We were in DC a couple of years ago doing the sites. I was amazed at the lack of restaurants. Theres a McD’s in the Air & Space museum, but otherwise seems like you have to catch the fleet of food trucks at noon or be ready to walk a long way to get food. They had rental bikes all over, that would’ve been a good option. Prob do that next time. There were also Segway tours that would be fun. I’d take a small backpack with water and snacks.

The Holocaust Museum is pretty amazing, but obviously a heavy subject. Incredibly well done, but very somber. Its a good experience. You buy tickets and show at a certain time, since they control the crowd flow.
The Korean War memorial was a favorite of mine. It was raining when we saw it, which was very fitting.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4387361 - 10/30/17 02:53 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
NYC is a fantastic place to visit. I've been there several times.

However, I would never live there. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4387386 - 10/30/17 05:19 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: Stratos]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Gettysburg is on my bucket list of places to visit. Being a big ACW buff, I have no excuse!!

I've been to Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville though and those were great sites to visit.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4387405 - 10/30/17 06:17 PM Re: Visiting New York city and Washington next week, any tip? [Re: cichlidfan]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by cichlidfan
[quote=462cid]There aren't too many museums large enough to have an SR-71 and a Space Shuttle indoors.

. . . . and a Concorde smile

[Linked Image]

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.