Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 42 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 41 42
#4375445 - 08/20/17 05:00 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Good Lord, man! You have fifty five missions in on a Parasol?!? I think I did 20+ ish once before I was *miraculously* transferred to scouts! I found them to be surprisingly survivable, but I'm not sure I would describe the experience as fun...
salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4375448 - 08/20/17 06:10 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
Good Lord, man! You have fifty five missions in on a Parasol?!? I think I did 20+ ish once before I was *miraculously* transferred to scouts! I found them to be surprisingly survivable, but I'm not sure I would describe the experience as fun...
salute

Ha ha, fifty-six!

Also, I've been combing over the DiD Centenary thread, and I noticed the user Kuroken had at one point at least 173 missions on a Morane! Link: 173 missions on a Morane L!

It is "fun" in its own way to me...still can't bomb the front lines with any luck, and I've had a few engine failures, but not as many issues as I had with the BE2...not only that, but the 'Fokker Scourge' is about to begin! popcorn

Regards,

Jeff

WOFF:UE Computer Specs and set-up:
Homebuilt Computer!
Intel i5-3570k mildly overclocked to 3.8ghz
AsRock Z75 mobo
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA one fan version)
16 GB RAM
42 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV with 120hz refresh
Very old (over 20 years now) Aiwa Receiver/Amplifier
Very old giant stereo speakers with newer sub-woofer
Very old Logitech Wingman joystick with two buttons and a throttle slider
Very old CH Thurstmaster analog footpedals
Manhattan analog/USB converter
W10
#4375451 - 08/20/17 06:44 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
Hmm, in my scans of the DiD Centenary thread, I found a post by lederhosen about "Temporary Gentlemen" ..

I'm debating how I will handle this if and when I get promoted. It takes much time off from flying....here is a quote from a website about the many roles of teachers in the great war:
During the Great War 247,061 commissions were granted in the British Army. Some 100,000 of these went to men with OTC experience gained in the Public Schools and universities. High attrition rates, however, meant that demand for officers soon outstripped supply. From January 1916 new Officer Cadet Battalions (OCB) were formed. These provided a four month course for ex-rankers, many of whom were men of working and lower-middle class origins. New officers were granted commissions for the duration of the war. The Temporary Officers were often referred to as 'Temporary Gentlemen'. This became a term of derision for those who were not from the 'quality' classes.
http://www.ww1schools.com/temporary-gentlemen.html

Mr. Lyons is from a lower class origin...on the one hand, it will speed me along to a time when single-seaters are in the air, but on the other hand, I will miss out on what I have been savoring with this campaign...what it was like to witness the changing of flying during 1915. Hmm, I will have to decide, but not right now. I'm leaning towards fudging it for the sake of fun, and can make up some outlandish story about it all wink

Also, @ Rick_Rawlings, it looks like kuroken may have had as many as 282 missions in the Morane L! Also, fullofit had a lot on a Morane, too, so it seems.....

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by stljeffbb; 08/20/17 06:45 AM.

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4375455 - 08/20/17 10:14 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Somebody give this guy a Barmy WoFFer badge.

56 Parasol sorties indeed.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4375475 - 08/20/17 01:41 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: stljeffbb]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by stljeffbb

Also, @ Rick_Rawlings, it looks like kuroken may have had as many as 282 missions in the Morane L! Also, fullofit had a lot on a Morane, too, so it seems.....

Regards,

Jeff

Yikes!!! explode

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4375482 - 08/20/17 03:17 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
@ Ace_Pilto...aww, shucks...I don't think I deserve a badge quite yet wink I did find this thread: http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4276528/1 ...are they still selling them?

Concerning my Morane L flying...yes indeed, some squadrons flew these things until 1917! As a matter of fact, my current unit (3 RFC) flew them in WOFF:UE until..... 9 October 1917! jawdrop and then overnight they switched to Camels on 10 October (and also went from recce to fighter in that span as well)...

Now, the FE2a is coming very soon near a neighborhood near me, and I'm thinking of transfer except I do not have the rank to fly them.

I wish that I could fly in a bit more of a realistic way, however, real-life keeps me very busy. I use a lot of time compression and I still use a map to get around much of the time. I have been lazy and have not found in the files how to disable the cursor on the inflight map, but I do not use labels, and unless I'm the flight leader I intend on staying in formation and doing my bit. I only turn on the messaging when I am bombing (to make sure that I have the bombs loaded) and then I turn it off when I remember to, etc. etc. etc.

This simulation can be tweaked even more to reflect real life...thanks to other's postings on the subject, I see that engine failure is reflected in an .xml file, easy stuff to mod. I see over at Sandbagger's mod page that Oldhat created a "hardcore mod" that I should check out. Lastly in my asking the simple question "who flew the most missions in WWI", it seems there is not an easy answer but it led me to William Barker who's Wikipedia page says he flew over "900 combat hours in 2 /12 years"! jawdrop jawdrop

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4375484 - 08/20/17 03:50 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: stljeffbb]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by stljeffbb
@ Ace_Pilto...aww, shucks...I don't think I deserve a badge quite yet wink I did find this thread: http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4276528/1 ...are they still selling them?

Concerning my Morane L flying...yes indeed, some squadrons flew these things until 1917! As a matter of fact, my current unit (3 RFC) flew them in WOFF:UE until..... 9 October 1917! jawdrop and then overnight they switched to Camels on 10 October (and also went from recce to fighter in that span as well)...

Now, the FE2a is coming very soon near a neighborhood near me, and I'm thinking of transfer except I do not have the rank to fly them.

I wish that I could fly in a bit more of a realistic way, however, real-life keeps me very busy. I use a lot of time compression and I still use a map to get around much of the time. I have been lazy and have not found in the files how to disable the cursor on the inflight map, but I do not use labels, and unless I'm the flight leader I intend on staying in formation and doing my bit. I only turn on the messaging when I am bombing (to make sure that I have the bombs loaded) and then I turn it off when I remember to, etc. etc. etc.

This simulation can be tweaked even more to reflect real life...thanks to other's postings on the subject, I see that engine failure is reflected in an .xml file, easy stuff to mod. I see over at Sandbagger's mod page that Oldhat created a "hardcore mod" that I should check out. Lastly in my asking the simple question "who flew the most missions in WWI", it seems there is not an easy answer but it led me to William Barker who's Wikipedia page says he flew over "900 combat hours in 2 /12 years"! jawdrop jawdrop

Regards,

Jeff

You are definitely a candidate for the BWOC badge! I do believe that RAF_Louvert has a stache of them. You could send him a PM but be aware he is currently dealing with the death of his brother and so may not be able to respond for awhile.
I for one, really appreciate all your reports and enthusiasm.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4375512 - 08/20/17 06:51 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
My British DID pilot had 133 missions in a Morane. In WOFF, it is the dominant plane until the E.I and E.II arrives.

Edit: I don't want to be a killjoy, but I went back and checked and Ken started on B.E. 2cs and flew those for a month or two, so in reality, he didn't fly 173 missions in a Morane.

Last edited by Banjoman; 08/20/17 07:02 PM.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4375570 - 08/21/17 05:03 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
@ Banjoman...wow, 133....yes you speak from experience! Indeed, as you say, the Morane L one of the most used and better planes of the era...until outclassed by others!

@ Robert_Wiggins... I'm happy that you think of me as a candidate for a BWOC badge (http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4123820/1) I will be researching this thread with reckless abandon to be sure I qualify....starts with a dodo...I'm probably already close! And I'm glad you enjoy my material... biggrin you are an inspiration as well kind sir salute

OK, now for some research news! Dezh taught me about the book RAF Squadrons: A Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of All RAF Squadrons and Their Antecedents Since 1912 and I picked one up. This book shows 3 RFC using the Morane L from December 1914 until September 1915, then being replaced by the Morane LA (a version of the L fitted with ailerons!) until January 1917.

Interestingly, 3 RFC also received some Morane N aircraft in October 1915 until July 1916, and then some Morane BB aircraft from December 1915 until December 1916...any news on those modded Morane Ns? Of course the 'N' was a scout (fighter) while the BB was a biplane observer with the gunner in the back seat.

Lastly, 3 RFC received Nieuport 16 aircraft in May 1916, but then the line item for their exit only shows "( 16)" which may or may not indicate that they had them until the end of 1916, but perhaps evidence is inconclusive?

Ha ha, they were even still flying Bleriot XI type craft until June 1915! I noticed at some point they also had at least one Bristol Scout and at least one SE2. Anyhoo, I might need to start thinking about using the mission editor to include a bit more variety of plane-ige to the squadrons I fly with...and ha ha I did notice that Bleriot in the Centenary thread: http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4128279/re-did-centenary-challenge#Post4128279

OK, now to the report:

-----------------------------

George Lyons
Sergeant
3 RFC
Chocques, Flanders
May 1915

Fifty-seventh mission Monday 24 May AM...a bombing of the front lines again to the east of Loos, and no luck once again. Ruins my percentages these runs to the front do.

[Linked Image]

Fifty-eighth mission Monday 24 May PM...an art obs with the usual crew: 'Bay' and Reinard in one crate, and myself and Halifax in ours. It had some points of interest: first, as we were passing over Merville, a BE2 from 2RFC was exploding as they were readying for takeoff. I've heard bad things about that style of bus, and I'm glad we fly the 'L' which seems to be a bit more reliable. I hope everyone escaped without injury!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then as we approached the front, a lone Aviatik headed opposite our direction.

[Linked Image]

If we were the flight leader, we would have gone after it, however, Reinard decided to stick to the mission, dropped some bags, and then we headed home long after we lost sight of the Hun.

---------------

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4376148 - 08/24/17 04:31 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
George Lyons
Sergeant
3 RFC
Chocques, Flanders
May 1915

---------------------------

Fifty-ninth mission Tuesday 25 May AM...an art obs with the usual crew once again. A great day for flying with white puffy clouds.

[Linked Image]

Reinard took some notes, dropped a couple bags, and we headed home without incident.

Sixtieth mission Tuesday 25 May PM...this was going to be a bombing mission to the front, however, as it turns out, both of our crates were having issues, so we dropped our eggs in the River Lys (once again) and made it back without incident. (Writer's note...this was the first RTB crash I've had since starting a career. I've had them in some other instances with test pilots...this target was a new place that I'd not been to before, oh well)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

---------

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4376387 - 08/25/17 10:29 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
George Lyons
Sergeant
3 RFC
Chocques, Flanders
May 1915

Sixty-first mission Wednesday 26 May AM...a bombing of the front east of Loos with the usual crew. Intell informed me that I scored a single hit, a first for my bombing of the front lines. I lined up just behind 'Bay' and Reinard, but this time laid my eggs almost exactly when I heard the spinners of their bombs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sixty-second mission Wednesday 26 May PM...another egg-laying mission, this time scheduled to Phalempin, but it almost ended in disaster! At about 8oo feet, my bus suddenly lost all revs and started descending towards Earth! I was over a field and didn't have much time to see if there were people or animals, and I decided to lay my eggs right there...I was able to land in a fenced-in area, just avoiding a collision. Halifax was relieved that we made it down in one piece, but the ack-emmas tell us that engine is beyond repair, with extensive damage to the fuselage near the engine compartment on both sides (Writer's Note: insert favorite half-engine-destroying ailment here!).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(Another Writer's Note...this happened while at 12x...probably the closest "going west" experience with Mr. Lyons so far, as I finally took control of the craft at about 4oo feet, so only 3oo feet off the ground!)
-----------------------------

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4376891 - 08/29/17 03:46 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
A Short Life in the Royal Flying Corps

It is with a heavy heart that we announce the loss of our newest and perhaps, ablest pilot in months, 2nd Lt. David Crutchfield.

[Linked Image]

Crutchfield had trained extensively in England and, after much of the bloodletting in April of this year, was one of the first of a new crop of pilots who had been spared Bloody April's carnage. He was an able airmen, a crack shot, and spent hours working on his SE5, which he nicknamed "Maria." His first few missions were spectacular, and he showed great leadership potential within this esteemed and established outfit. A few days before his death, Crutchfield led B-Flight well behind enemy lines in pursuit of a flight of Albatros scouts. He attacked the Boche with gusto and even knocked one of the German airmen out of the sky right over his own airfield - giving 2nd Lt. Crutchfield his only confirmed victory.

[Linked Image]

He completed just six sorties in his time with us. Bishop is particularly rattled by Crutchfield's death, which he called "a bloody waste." The details of Crutchfield's death are unclear. He flew as part of a larger patrol that morning, and attacked a flight of German two-seaters where, it can only be assumed that his SE5 was hit, as he disengaged and immediately headed for home, something uncharacteristic for him.

Our home field reports that Crutchfield appeared high over the aerodrome with his engine off. He turned and began to lose speed and altitude, however, his angle of attack was entirely too high. Presumably he was struggling with the controls and the particularly strong headwinds that afternoon.

[Linked Image]

As he came in to the field, it was apparent that his airspeed was far too great - likely near 90mph as his wheels touched down. The SE raced by at an alarmingly high rate of speed as Crutchfield desperately attempted to yaw the machine back and forth to bleed off speed. He soon ran out of runway and hurtled headlong at a nearby fence on the edge of the adjacent farmland. The SE slammed into the obstacle at a high rate of speed and flipped over. The machine then burst into flames.

By the time ground crew reached him, Crutchfield was found crushed in the cockpit and burned beyond recognition. It was a horrific and desperately tragic end to a promising career in 60 Squadron. We send our deepest condolences to his family at this time...

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Shot08-11-17-22-12-27.jpgShot08-19-17-10-32-23.jpgShot08-21-17-21-06-12.jpgCrutchfield.jpg
Last edited by CaptSopwith; 08/29/17 03:53 PM.
#4376940 - 08/29/17 08:15 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
@ CaptSopwith....good to see you in the mix! Sorry your pilot went west so soon.....great paint job! I look forward to your next pilot. thumbsup

Real life has been keeping me very busy lately....hope to get back into the vitural cockpit today or tomorrow....my hours need updating over on the DiD board too!

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by stljeffbb; 08/29/17 08:15 PM.

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4377474 - 09/02/17 03:46 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
@ everyone....well, real life caught up to me this past week....lots of deadlines for work, my 5-yr-old son started kindergarten, got a bit ill, and other fun stuff!

But, I finally found some time to fly! biggrin

-------------------------------------

George Lyons
Sergeant
3 RFC
Chocques, Flanders
May 1915

Sixty-third mission Thursday 27 May AM...a bombing mission to the front just east of Loos once again. I laid my eggs too early, but 'Bay' scored a couple hits.

[Linked Image]

Sixty-fourth mission Thursday 27 May PM...an three crate art obs to the northeast of Loos. Captain Reinard flew with Lt. Ken Breton while 'Bay' flew 2nd Lt. Jeffrey Alden. The first pass had no result, but we swung back around, Reinard dropped some bags, and we headed home.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-------------------------------------

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4377538 - 09/02/17 03:17 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

good pics guys

#4377542 - 09/02/17 03:23 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: carrick58]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
Originally Posted by carrick58
good pics guys

Thanks carrick58! By the way, you could always migrate your Morane DiD career over to this thread...also I believe Dutch is flying a Morane career....a different kind of fun! wink

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4377626 - 09/03/17 03:57 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
George Lyons
Sergeant
3 RFC
Chocques, Flanders
May 1915

(Writer's Note: A two-fer!)

Sixty-fifth mission Friday 28 May AM...the usual crew ('Bay' and Reinard in one crate, me and Halifax in the other) to a usual spot on an art obs mission east of Loos. Weather was dicey, but the rain held off.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Got to the front after flying between two walls of clouds,

[Linked Image]

...Reinard dropped some bags, and we headed home.

Sixty-sixth mission Friday 28 PM...I guess they did not get enough information the first time as they sent us back to the exact same spot as they did in the morning just east of Loos. Weather was not as bad, but this time, both our machines struggled in the heavy air, and at times we were only about 4ooo feet above the front!

[Linked Image]

I'm a bit surprised we were not fired on, but we both made it out. Also, the path we took was a bit unusual heading to and from the front, and we needed a second pass to make it happen. Still, Reinard dropped some bags, and I hope the poor chaps on the ground were able to use the information to get the Bosche artillery.

-----------------------

The saga continues!

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4378200 - 09/06/17 11:40 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Thanks Jeff, I did switch over to here because a career earlier than 1917 was out of sync over at Challenge.

Last edited by carrick58; 09/06/17 11:41 PM.
#4378204 - 09/06/17 11:52 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Dubois de Marseille
Sous Lt. Esc 15
Savy, Flanders.

Jan 5 1916.

2 Sec, 3 N-10's, was assigned to Patrol Arras sector. While making a finale turn , we spotted the Boche machines 2 Aviatik types. My section leader Turin was the 1st one to fire and it looked like both a/c were knocked down . His a/c afire it fell burning from 1000 meters to the earth. I attacked the other machine firing a drum then pulled off to reload. My Wing mate attacked, but His gun must have jammed so I went in again. I gave zee kerman both drums as I slowed then Stalled into a spin. Recovering , we joined up and RTB.

Attached Files CFS3 2017-09-06 16-23-11-71.jpgCFS3 2017-09-06 16-15-39-58.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 09/06/17 11:54 PM.
#4378396 - 09/07/17 07:00 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: carrick58]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
Originally Posted by carrick58
Dubois de Marseille
Sous Lt. Esc 15
Savy, Flanders.

Jan 5 1916.

2 Sec, 3 N-10's, was assigned to Patrol Arras sector. While making a finale turn , we spotted the Boche machines 2 Aviatik types. My section leader Turin was the 1st one to fire and it looked like both a/c were knocked down . His a/c afire it fell burning from 1000 meters to the earth. I attacked the other machine firing a drum then pulled off to reload. My Wing mate attacked, but His gun must have jammed so I went in again. I gave zee kerman both drums as I slowed then Stalled into a spin. Recovering , we joined up and RTB.

Good stuff carrick58! I personally enjoy flying the N10, pretty much just messing with it right now. thumbsup

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
Page 28 of 42 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 41 42

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles