Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4531746 - 07/28/20 01:44 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Which character are you talking about? Put it in spoilers if you'd rather not spoil it.

Third map means Nameless Isle?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4531769 - 07/28/20 04:09 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Correct, third map is Nameless Isle. Just starting out. Covered modest territory. Lots of dead around. No fights for us yet. But, an interesting event took place.

Jahan was the name. Just now (for you so as not to misinform), I went back to the old pre-fight save. Instead of approaching as a group, we spread out. I started the conversation, he started the fight but could not harm us as much on the first attack. I was able to use a normal/thoughtful battle plan to win without risk. Moral: Always be prepared to fight. And, be smarter than I was on that first play.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4531789 - 07/28/20 06:03 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
As noted elsewhere, I binge played Risen, Risen 2, Risen 3 in order and let partly played DOS2 sit.

With the couple month layoff, I had forgotten what faction was what in some respects and I did not know who the "good guys" and "bad guys" really were. I wondered about the Level 20 character confrontation in a level 15/16 area noted in the above post. It didn't seem like that should have happened like it did -- maybe I did the wrong thing.

I normally side with the ones "saving humanity". But, there seemed to be "problems with each faction". Near the beginning of the 3d Map, I had just killed some folks and wondered if I should have. I was tending towards a certain "direction". I was in doubt. I figured my cluelessness was going to ruin the game.

Thus, I went online to see a summary of the DOS2 factions and what they stood for -- so I would know how to play my way and not accidentally kill those I was supposed to help (when playing my way) and who were intentionally there to help me.

Surprise!!!

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4531806 - 07/28/20 07:26 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: Allen]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Allen
Moral: Always be prepared to fight.

Good advice, but there are times when you just stumble in to it and a tactical reload lets you prepare and approach differently.

I didn't kill him as he gives up a valuable skill book I wanted for Fane.

In my Tactician run I am nearing the end, almost level 20. I found two things that completely escaped me the first time through. It's one of the reasons I try to avoid spoilers or searching the net for answers, so that when I play again I can discover new stuff I didn't know existed.

One is a "thing" that makes combat much, much easier in the final act. It makes me feel like I am playing with high-level characters from DOS 1. The second was a way to make a ton of money. It's a lot, so I can afford any of the many unique and top-level kit available in Arx. These two things have actually made the end of Tactician easier than the end of my Classic run.

I wonder what else I have missed? smile

#4531865 - 07/29/20 02:04 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Propelled by those discoveries I've hit level 20. That will be the max for me, as there are 3 million XP to hit 21, and I doubt there is that much left to get. There is no level cap in DOS 2 per se, but since nothing respawns, XP is finite. Max NPC level is 20 as well, so it has scaled just right for me. You need to be thorough though, or you can reach Arx (the final act) underleveled with no means to catch up. So be sure to do as much as you can along the way.

If I recall, I was level 9 reaching Driftwood, level 16 reaching Nameless Isle and level 18 reaching Arx. You want to be as close to those as possible.

I have just two fights left to finish the game and get the Divine achievement for completing the game in tactician mode. These are two of the most difficult fights in the game as you'd expect, but at this stage my party is pretty powerful and geared up.

I've enjoyed my recent return to the game so much I am thinking of firing up DOS 1 EE again and playing through on Lone Wolf when this run is done, which is a talent I have never taken.

A few tips for anyone struggling or new to this game

-- Take Pet Pal on one character. You can talk to all of the creatures, many of which have quests. Not taking this (or using it) will miss a lot of XP. And besides that, these are often funny or cute.
-- Likewise put points in to Persuasion on one character. Very useful, and can net XP otherwise missed
-- Ditto for Lucky Charm. As mentioned above this is a great way to keep your party geared up with good kit. Finding a Legendary or Divine item in a barrel of fish is a big boost.
-- I'd say the same for Loremaster, but at least here you can pay a vendor to identify an item you do not have the points to spare.
-- Aside from identifying items though, Loremaster is also used to 'examine' enemies, to learn of their resistances and abilities. On the higher difficulty levels this is vital to have success, knowing what your enemy is vulnerable to and what it is not so you don't waste an attack, or worse, heal them accidentally.
-- Learn how to navigate the world using all of your tricks. Try to have a mobility skill on each party member, like Tactical Retreat or Phoenix Dive. Teleportation is invaluable (I have it on all characters. Aerotheurge 2). Unreachable treasure chest? Just teleport it to your feet. Using teleportation offensively in combat is incredibly useful and powerful. The teleport pyramids are also very powerful. Give one to each party member. The pyramids can be thrown through gaps in walls for example, and then you can teleport the party to it. Think outside the box to get around and reach places seemingly impossible.
-- Fane makes a great thief with his ability to pick locks without lockpicks. He is also immune to Deathfog
-- Spirit Vision is essential (you get it in Act 2). I am guilty of forgetting about it at times. But whenever you seem stuck, cast this. It is often the key to progress.
-- Leadership is optional in my view. In DOS 1 it was awesome, but in DOS 2 it is pretty weak. I have one character leveled in it just because. But I could have played through all the same having spent no points here and probably not missed it. A disappointing change from the first game.
-- Have CC skills on all characters and mix them between physical and magical. Because of the way armor works in this game, you need both. For physical it will be things like Battering Ram or Battle Stomp. For magical it will be things like Charm or elementals like shock or freeze.
-- Give all characters a summons if you can. Very useful and can make the difference in the hardest fights
-- Shields are very strong in DOS 2. Three of my party use one, even my mage (Ranger does not due to two-handed bow). Not only is it a big boost to physical and magical armor, the Bouncing Shield skill is great, a ranged attack doing damage equal to the shield's physical resistance stat and that will then strike a second enemy near by. Well worth one point in Warfare. Lots of awesome shields to be found.
-- Try to save the black cat in Fort Joy. All you have to do is keep him alive until you escape the prison. You'll get an achievement and a summons/mobility skill out of it. But don't fret if you fail. It's not terribly useful, especially if you've equipped all characters with mobility skills.
-- Learn about Runes and frames and equip them whenever the item has a slot to give nice boosts (don't forget to remove them before selling the item! Derp Derp)

And a thousand more things too smile

#4531872 - 07/29/20 03:19 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
You've noted a few things I've not noted. You are more thorough than I am. I'm impressed by your thoroughness smile

I don't read instructions, I don't "practice". I just "play" and try to figure it out as I go along (the first RPG I played came with a thick instruction book I was happy to read). If something is obscure (vs how other RPG handle things), I may never notice. I do look under every bush (figuratively) and grind through every kill on the map. But, I don't read every book or try every conversation choice -- too many that have no effect -- occasionally, I miss something doing it that way.

If I knew the game was "perfectly designed and programmed", I would not check on line. But, I think its reasonable to assume all RPG have defects -- because so many actually do. I don't want to waste time on an issue that might be due to "game design" and is not logical (Risen series comes to mind). On line, I found my general "feeling/direction" regarding how I deal with game situations was not as stupid as I thought (as noted above -- "Surprise!!!"). We'll see if its a good direction or bad direction. I still have two maps to cover. As you note, its hard to advance the character without "killing everything" smile

#4531874 - 07/29/20 03:47 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: Allen]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You've noted a few things I've not noted. You are more thorough than I am. I'm impressed by your thoroughness

Thanks. I appreciate your comment, but I didn't even touch on the 'advanced' stuff like build and party synergies. I jokingly said "a thousand other things" but it's probably not too far off the mark

I think Tactician forces you to be meticulous, to ensure you're not mis-spending points or memory slots for example. It's why I do not recommend it for a first run, but it's ideal for a second once you've mastered the mechanics.

It's a fantastic iso RPG, top of my list actually. I will never say it's the best, but I will say it's my favorite. There are a few wrinkles, some of the changes from the first game aren't to my taste. But taken as a whole it's hard to beat in this genre in my view, And the list of contenders is long and distinguished .

#4531950 - 07/30/20 01:26 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I wound my way through the final reaches of this game last night, and to the final encounter. I won't spoil the details, even though the game is years old now and only 24% of players even make it to Act 3, let alone to the end. I was defeated in the final battle, though I chose the hardest path for the greatest reward. It was a close run thing, and now I have a better plan to tackle it again and I feel victory is within my grasp. Divinity shall be mine! smile

But man oh man is that a hell of a battle. Be prepared if you do play this to the end. That's hard to do when you do not know exactly what you are preparing for, but just bring it all haha. The massive boosts the enemy get playing on Tactician make it all the more challenging, but I feel it's winnable for me, with better tactics and maybe a kind RNG. Completing this game on this setting will be reward enough.

The ending is epic, befitting. Larian have crafted an amazing RPG and with a few turns I did not see coming. The final Act in Arx will put what you've learned to the test, there are some difficult fights, but if you've prepared well with skills, abilities and gear it's all manageable. My advice is to take your time getting here, search every corner, talk to everyone, complete all quests, explore all disciplines, even respeccing your characters in to ones more well-suited to the late-game. I did exactly this, as my battlemage type characters gradually became less battle and more mage as the game went on, using their skills and abilities instead of their swords. I can't recall the last battle I fought where they actually whacked someone over the head. That's odd for a RPG, but the classless system and freedom to build them as you see fit allows a massive variety of abilities, leaving mere swords feeling woefully inadequate compared to the power of the skills.

So I will give the final fight another go, with a better plan hopefully and using some things I failed to use in the first try. I wasn't far away and with a slightly different tack I think I can pull it off. I started this run last September, then put it off for almost a year before necro-ing this thread and deciding to pick it back up already in Act 3. I'm glad I did, and the Divine achievement is within reach. I've used no mods and none of the powerful"gift bags" that Larian includes that make the game too easy I would think. Just look at their bonuses. I believe the gift bags disable achievements? Anyway, I haven't used them, just a straight-up run as Larian intended when they made the game. And what a game it is.

#4531964 - 07/30/20 04:17 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: DBond]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Originally Posted by DBond
I've used no mods and none of the powerful"gift bags" that Larian includes that make the game too easy I would think. Just look at their bonuses. I believe the gift bags disable achievements? Anyway, I haven't used them, just a straight-up run as Larian intended when they made the game. And what a game it is.

Congratulations on avoiding mods and figuring things out as the game intends smile

As you note, using the provided "gift bag" mods disables achievements. So, I haven't used any -- even though a couple make sense to me. But, I have modded (the game just does not know about it). If asked, I'll mention I "cheat" and my achievements should be considered invalid -- but, it is interesting to see what I've "achieved" relative to other players. Like you say, a small proportion get to the last map.

Here's hoping you win that last battle on the very next try! I'd say "good luck", but you're doing it with "skill" -- not "luck" or "cheating". And on the Tactician setting! smile

#4531970 - 07/30/20 05:06 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Allen. I would be dishonest if I said I never used the internet to help me when I was stuck. But these times were few, and I don't mind spending an hour to figure out a puzzle, as the reward is overcoming it on my own. Elitist, perhaps, but I would not get the same enjoyment out of this hobby by reading guides and doing what it says. I'd rather miss things than doing that frankly. And I have indeed smile I told the story earlier in this thread about a broken statue outside a crypt in Driftwood that went un-repaired through several runs as I never figured it out. Many players approach it differently and want to do everything, complete it all, regardless of what that requires, guides included. I like to use the analogy of artistry versus painting by numbers. Both result in a beautiful image, but only one is really rewarding in my view. Games like these are intellectual pursuits in a way, which is a big part of their appeal to me. To approach it differently would lessen the satisfaction. Few would agree I'd wager, but that's how I like to go about it. It rings hollow when someone proclaims they 'beat' a game when all they really did was follow a guide. Good for them I suppose, but not for me. I feel in a sense they have missed the best part.

And I could use some luck, I am counting on it actually. If one massive incoming attack misses instead of hits due to RNG then it will have a huge effect on the outcome. And maybe this time I will drink some fire resistance potions haha smile

#4531972 - 07/30/20 05:17 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
A question I could look up online. But, I'll ask you. The answer will not change how I play. Just interested. You can use the "spoiler" function to hide the answer.

In the final battle of an RPG, I always expect it to be my Avatar all alone versus the Big Boss and several Minions (I seem to remember once or twice in 20+ years it was not that way). I'm expecting that here -- my gal against the world.

Is that correct? Or does my party (or some members) assist? Not looking for great detail -- just the simple "Avatar alone" vs "Avatar and some help". Thanks.

#4531973 - 07/30/20 05:18 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
All this talk about the second games makes it seem as it if it is the only one worthwhile. Is the first worth enduring?

#4531976 - 07/30/20 05:27 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
By the way, since I mention "cheating" (no other word for it). I only "cheat" by modding my "single player" experience for the fun of having more choice/more fun in a single play through.

I'm one of those many folks who would never cheat in a game against others. Heck, I golf and one calls penalties on one's self in that sport smile

#4531978 - 07/30/20 05:40 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: Allen]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I loved the first game, and as mentioned above I've enjoyed finishing up DOS 2 so much that I plan to give DOS 1 another go as soon as I am done, this time in Lone Wolf mode. I have already run through the standard and enhanced editions in both Classic and Tactician, which just leaves Lone Wolf. Honestly I prefer the combat from the first game. DOS 2 is better in most ways but it's sort of like saying it's wetter water. There are many QoL improvements in the second game, things have been streamlined, inventory is better, there are far fewer times when you have to unchain the party to complete puzzles and that sort of thing. For me though, DOS 1 EE is certainly worth your time if you like this sort of game. If pressed to recommend one over the other, I'd give the nod to DOS 2.

A question I could look up online. But, I'll ask you. The answer will not change how I play. Just interested. You can use the "spoiler" function to hide the answer.

In the final battle of an RPG, I always expect it to be my Avatar all alone versus the Big Boss and several Minions (I seem to remember once or twice in 20+ years it was not that way). I'm expecting that here -- my gal against the world.

Is that correct? Or does my party (or some members) assist? Not looking for great detail -- just the simple "Avatar alone" vs "Avatar and some help". Thanks.

That's complicated, and I will put it in spoilers, as it's important to me that I don't ruin the experience for anyone reading this thread and who also wants to approach the game in the same way I do. Discovery is a vital component of a game like this and the less you know going in, the better the experience in my view.

This is in spoiler tags because it is a massive spoiler. Short answer is both are possible. Stop reading now if that's enough

The answer to the question without revealing much detail is that it can be either. There will come a point where you are ready to ascend to divinity. But as is made clear, all of your companions also have the same goal. All are godwoken. When you reach this point these companions can leave permanently, or they can support you and remain. There are a number of determining factors, and it's not hard to ensure they remain if you know the requirements. On a first, spoiler-free run you will not know this and honestly, losing these companions you've fought alongside for the last 100 hours is a kick in the nuts. I can give detail of how to prevent this should anyone care to know.

So that means you can press on to the final Act alone, or with one, two or three companions. If they do leave, you can always use hirelings, or just continue alone or with whoever remains. The final Act would be very difficult alone, except perhaps on Classic or lower AND specced in to Lone Wolf. Then, maybe. I hope this answers the question and I did not ruin it, but the answer to the question is nuanced and I wanted to explain why.

#4531990 - 07/30/20 06:58 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
I "stopped reading now". The short answer was enough smile

Because you play without "cheating", and got me interested, I was considering playing "by the rules" on another play -- this game is good enough to play twice (something I very rarely do).

Now that DOS 1 has been raised, maybe that's the way to go -- don't own and never started that one -- so a better "test".

Baldur's Gate 3 might also be one to try "playing straight". As noted earlier, BG1 got me started on RPG; so, BG3 is nominally special to me.

Just went to the DOS 1 page. Very good reviews. Put it on the wishlist (don't need it until I'm done with this one).

#4531995 - 07/30/20 07:14 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
BG 1 was your first RPG?

Mine was on an Apple II, somewhere around the mid 80s, along with The Bard's Tale 1 on PC.

As a result I'm quite finnicky about what RPGs I play now, same as movies I watch.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 07/30/20 07:15 PM.
#4532000 - 07/30/20 07:28 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You cannot go wrong with these Blastman. I suppose there's a chance they will not be to your liking, but a slim chance at that I reckon. There's no accounting for taste though, so I must be held blameless if you do not lol.

Not sure what my first game like this was. I mean I could go back to the game Adventure on Atari biggrin Or Legend of Zelda on Nintendo or Sega, So long now I forget. For PC it was probably Neverwinter Nights, which then led to other games like Planescape, BG, NWN2, Icewind Dale and so on. After twenty plus years that order may be shuffled a bit haha.

#4532010 - 07/30/20 08:19 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I don't think Adventure was an RPG. Maybe the first graphical adventure game? I know Mystery House is often credited as such, but I think Adventure was technically released a couple of years earlier. I still get the heebie jeebies when I recall being swallowed by a dragon and watching my little square self jiggling in the lizard's belly.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 07/30/20 08:19 PM.
#4532012 - 07/30/20 08:34 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I accept your ruling biggrin

'Twas a stretch I admit. And with a name like Adventure I should assume it is an adventure game lol. We have come a long way to games like Divinity Original Sin. I expect BG3 will exceed them all if Larian are allowed a free hand.

#4532032 - 07/30/20 11:14 PM Re: Divinity: Original Sin II [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Having failed on the first attempt at the final battle, a second run at it was always going to stand a better shot. It's valuable knowledge gained to apply the second go-round and I finished the game on Tactician. It has been done by 2.9% of players. After finishing I started to install the first game and saw that it's 2.7% for that game. So on the rare side for folks to run all the way through on this setting.

The end of DOS 2 is cool, you have some choices to make, but I'll leave that to be discovered.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.